Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They needed to get a movie out, quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

CelticPredator posted:

They needed to get a movie out, quick.

Why was that?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

jivjov posted:

Its almost like the two films are in the same continuity or something.............................................

You're still conflating narrative continuity with "a continuity" when they're totally different things which can exist independently of each other. Narrative continuity is the links that turn several smaller stories into one larger story. A continuity, an implied shared universe that you tell lots of different stories in, is a different product being sold to you. This is "the continuity". Part of that continuity is the movies, which because they're sequential chapters in a larger story also have narrative continuity.

The different sections of an anthology don't necessarily take place in the same shared universe, but they still (ideally) have narrative continuity with each other. Solo and Rogue One share a continuity while being totally distinct stories, with little or no narrative continuity.

You keep getting prickly that people in the thread about the movies are more interested in the narrative continuity the movies have than the fact that they're all in a continuity together. It's hard to tell if you legitimately can't see the distinction or if you simply don't care about it, instead preferring to breathlessly stan for the Walt Disney Company.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I don't care which company it is; I just want people to recognize how Star Wars works. While there are some changes now, it wasn't that dissimilar pre-Disney buyout.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

jivjov posted:

I don't care which company it is; I just want people to recognize how Star Wars works. While there are some changes now, it wasn't that dissimilar pre-Disney buyout.

The mechanics of how Star Wars works as a broader IP isn't the same at all as how the movies fit together as stories. People aren't misunderstanding you or what you mean.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

jivjov posted:

We all understand how canon works.

Canon is not how films work.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

people understand how it works, they just don't care

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Probably wanted that money. They really wanted the film out by may 2015, but JJ has them push it to December to work on the script/editing a bit more.

Timby has a lot of good info on it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bongo Bill posted:

We all understand how canon works.

Canon is not how films work.

The films are PART of the canon.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

jivjov posted:

Yes they are. We're not talking about the canon though. We're talking about the movies, which we can do without any reference to or regard for the canon whatsoever.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

jivjov posted:

The films are the canon. Everything else is fan bullshit.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

jivjov posted:

The films exist independently of the canon.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Raccooon posted:

The films are the canon. Everything else is fan bullshit.

No; nobody here is talking about fanfic.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bongo Bill posted:

No, under Disney, the films are exactly as equal in canonical weight as the books, comics, etc. There's no more tier list like the old days.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

The films are the canon

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

jivjov posted:

No, under Disney, the films are exactly as equal in canonical weight as the books, comics, etc. There's no more tier list like the old days.

That is only true within the canon, which is a work of fiction that the movies exist independently of.

Do you realize that you are just saying, in effect, "You should care about what the canon says because the canon says so"?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Raccooon posted:

The films are the canon

The canon is a list of works that includes the movies.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

The canon is a list of works that includes the movies.

That is the movies. Everything else is jerk off material for fans. If the movies disagree with books and other poo poo, then the movies will over right it. Books will never do this to movies.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The canon is literally whatever you want it to be, in my radical view

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

The point is just that we're here to talk about the movies in the movie thread and this stuff about EU sources or whatever is only a distraction. Admittedly we do seem very easily distracted.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill posted:

I apologize for this minor error; I was confused by a meme. What I meant to say instead of "placemat" was "website:"

This is from a Visual Dictionary or something along those lines.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
hey jivjov

you know 'continuity' can also refer to, like, two scenes in the same movie

and how those two scenes relate to one another in a way that doesn't contradict each other or a third scene in the same movie, right

this is the same principle, just...across more than one movie

canon is an entirely separate concept

canon exists because some people get tricked into thinking there's a whole and contiguous universe that exists on the other side, and that this universe is not just a hodge-podge of many stories that happen to not contradict each other

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

The canon is literally whatever you want it to be, in my radical view

Thats head canon. You are free to have that

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Raccooon posted:

That is the movies. Everything else is jerk off material for fans. If the movies disagree with books and other poo poo, then the movies will over right it. Books will never do this to movies.

That was true back in the Legends days, where films outranked books, but this is no longer the case.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Raccooon posted:

Thats head canon. You are free to have that

I don't think there is a meaningful difference between head canon and normal canon. """"Normal"""" canon is just head canon that multiple heads agree about

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So if Warner Brothers bought Star Wars and declared that the OT wasn't canon and only the PT was, it would make it truth?

Cause that would be pretty fucken hilarious

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Raccooon posted:

That is the movies. Everything else is jerk off material for fans. If the movies disagree with books and other poo poo, then there content will over right it. Books will never do this to movies.

The movies themselves are not a list of movies. The movies are just movies that happen to allude to each other. If you were to make a list of them and say that they share continuity, that list (and not the movies themselves) would be a canon. If you did this while being the author, it would even be the official canon.

You could put a movie with no apparent continuity on that list, like, say THX-1138, and it would still be a canon. And probably a more interesting one, because now instead of using plot continuity as the basis of your list, you'd be using themes or style or authorship.

But it would still just be a list, and perhaps some annotations.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

I'm going to write a book that says Rey is actually a penguin in a human disguise. Now canon

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 31, 2018

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

So if Warner Brothers bought Star Wars and declared that the OT wasn't canon and only the PT was, it would make it truth?

Cause that would be pretty fucken hilarious

That would be their right, as the sole owners of an intellectual property portfolio in which the films are merely one set of assets.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Attorney at Funk posted:

That would be their right, as the sole owners of an intellectual property portfolio in which the films are merely one set of assets.

drat homey they should work this into a song lyric about the magic of movies during the opening number of the next Oscars

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

drat homey they should work this into a song lyric about the magic of movies during the opening number of the next Oscars

They can play it before their new best popular movie category

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

jivjov posted:

I don't care which company it is; I just want people to recognize how Star Wars works.

Why?

What kind of person are you that you must crusade for this franchise? That it matters to you so much?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

its truly amazing that such a number of people are heavily invested in a film franchise with only 3 good movies out of the 10

and its not the 3 you think it is!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

piratepilates posted:

its truly amazing that such a number of people are heavily invested in a film franchise with only 3 good movies out of the 10

and its not the 3 you think it is!

Attack of the clones, rogue one, empire ?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Why?

What kind of person are you that you must crusade for this franchise? That it matters to you so much?

I just crusade for honest discussion. When people are here saying "Jakku is Tatooine" "starkiller Base is a Death Star" "coruscant and hosnian Prime are the same" etc, they are being factually inaccurate. Some are doing it on purpose, like SMG. Others are just misinformed. But it's hard to have a conversation about a franchise if we're not all on the same page about what does and doesn't "count"

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

jivjov posted:

I just crusade for honest discussion. When people are here saying "Jakku is Tatooine" "starkiller Base is a Death Star" "coruscant and hosnian Prime are the same" etc, they are being factually inaccurate. Some are doing it on purpose, like SMG. Others are just misinformed. But it's hard to have a conversation about a franchise if we're not all on the same page about what does and doesn't "count"

none of it counts, its all made up stories, the vast vast majority of which are made by talentless losers (not talking about the movies). canon is a worthless concept and means absolutely nothing. pablo hidalgo could say that darth vader is actually homer simpson who smoked a cigarette too many and there is nothing you can do about it, it 'counts'

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

porfiria posted:

Vader seems less a Chirst figure than kind of a cautionary tale about what happens when you treat a random talented dude as a messiah. Like Schmi's clearly lying about the virgin birth, whereas Christ actually was incarnated.

Jakku Messiah, followed by Children of Jakku.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

jivjov posted:

Why does it matter what counts? What game are we playing, whose rules we're breaking by describing ideas about what the films mean, that happen to be contradicted by things like "Visual Dictionaries?"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Disney doesn’t even own Star Wars. They own the copyright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

euphronius posted:

Disney doesn’t even own Star Wars. They own the copyright.

Correct. I own a copy of Star Wars. Disney owns the legal permission to prevent others from making more copies of Star Wars. The words "Star Wars" can be used to refer to many different things of many different kinds (such as copies of films or copyrights). Some of the kinds of the things to which the words "Star Wars" refers are not actually capable of being owned.