Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Verman posted:

What's the go-to cheap on camera flash at this point? I'm using a Sony A7iii but gently caress paying Sony $300-600 for a flash. I have a wedding to shoot at the end of September and I mostly just need one for low light shots. I try to do natural light for most of my wedding work. I used to shoot with a Canon 5d2 and 430EXii but it was all stolen when my place was broken into earlier this year.

I'm looking at a Godox 685 or something similar. Radio is nice though not a deal breaker but it looks like at this point it doesn't really add to the cost. I don't care too much one way or the other on batteries, though 4xAA is more universal and I won't have to worry about finding weird batteries years from now. I have a pile of eneloops so I would just stick with AA for the time being.

n-thing Godox 350 for on-camera flash and 860 off-camera. Occasionally, the 350 will not fire when first turned on. I don't know if I am turning it on in the wrong order or if there is something else going on. Sometimes I can fix it by turning the manual flash button (the the speedlight). Other times I have to do a hard reboot of camera and flash. Once it fires, it fires on all shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jaz drives were pretty darn reliable relative to all other removable media in their day. Dust would eventually kill them because they were hard drive platters outside a sealed environment, but I personally never lost one.

The real problem was the people buying the parallel port version. :downs:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

xzzy posted:

they were hard drive platters outside a sealed environment

This is amazing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

President Beep posted:

This is amazing.

Yeah they tried to be a step up from the Zip drives that were basically just high-capacity floppies. They were pretty clever.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Just think of the whole generation now who have no idea what parallel ports even are

I used to bring zip disks to my mom's office in the university to download mp3s off audiogalaxy off their sweet t1 connection :3

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

xzzy posted:

Jaz drives were pretty darn reliable relative to all other removable media in their day. Dust would eventually kill them because they were hard drive platters outside a sealed environment, but I personally never lost one.

Personal anecodote, but I found them to be crap.

I had an entire company's design database stored on Jaz and about 50% of them failed.

I contacted Iomega and couriered a sample disc to their head office in Ireland for testing. They returned with note that the were unable to check it as they did not own a Jaz drive.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

I contacted Iomega and couriered a sample disc to their head office in Ireland for testing. They returned with note that the were unable to check it as they did not own a Jaz drive.

lmao that's amazing

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I think I remember the vertical offset on my R3a being a little when I got it, IIRC if you've got some jewler's screwdrivers you can open up the top and adjust it with a screw. I used a bit of Loctite to keep it from coming loose again.

edit: yep, here you go - http://www.arransalerno.com/bessa-rangefinder-calibration/

Turns out the Bessa R has different screw placement than that link, but I still was able to Google the difference (turns out vertical adjustment is at the front of the camera for Rs) and it was a super easy fix! Thanks for the help, the rangefinder is so nice and clear now.

Question though, what should the rangefinder patch look like when focused to infinity? I'm using an Industar 50, and I think the screw on it doesn't go back far enough to properly focus at infinity.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
My wife has been a portrait and wedding photographer for awhile, but she's looking very seriously at transitioning to video to do documentaries and short films.

She currently uses a 1D Mk III and a 5D Mk II, both of which predate the rise of widespread DSLR video and so are lacking in a lot of modern features, so I'm looking to upgrade her. I figure we can get about $1000 total if we sell both of her current bodies, so that's the arbitrary budget I'm setting for the new body.

At present I'm torn between getting a used C100 so she can do proper professional video, or a new video-friendly but lower-end DSLR, something like an 80D. I'm sure there are other options out there so I'm open to suggestions, but I'd prefer to stay with Canon (or at least the EF system) so she can use her existing lenses for awhile.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So is she just not going to do stills at all anymore if you’re considering the c100?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Looking for a close-up lens for my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 to take better pictures of the plastic robots I make. Any brand recommendations (or other tips)?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kuvo posted:

Looking for a close-up lens for my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 to take better pictures of the plastic robots I make. Any brand recommendations (or other tips)?

what camera/lens mount? and what's your budget?

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

powderific posted:

So is she just not going to do stills at all anymore if you’re considering the c100?

She's not going to be doing portraits or weddings anymore, and she actually does a lot of her impromptu photography with her phone (S7), so she has less of a need for a really awesome still unit. I want to get her a good compact mirrorless for that sort of thing, but it's not in the budget right now.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

what camera/lens mount? and what's your budget?

Canon T5i, under say $500

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Kuvo posted:

Canon T5i, under say $500

EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro. $400 new, less used.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Is there an EF-mount video solution that does good video (not necessarily 4K, but clean HD, plenty of accessory inputs, etc etc) for $1K or less, besides the C100?

And you have an investment in EF lenses, but are they suitable for videography? Focus breathing and focus/stabilization motor noise can be very bothersome when trying to do do serious video work.

The 80D is king of video autofocus with its dual-pixel system, but by modern standards its HD video output is soft and laden with moire.

Maybe consider selling your lens collection along with the cameras and kick your budget up a little higher. You could go with something like a GH4 or Blackmagic camera with a few cinema primes. But that route only really makes sense if your current lenses aren't suitable for video.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I think those two are pretty much the options. On the lens front, focus breathing isn't, like, awesome, but I think it overkill to jump ship from the stills lenses out of the gate unless there's something super expensive that won't be needed. Lots of people us regular stills lenses to good effect.

Never used an 80d or C100 myself but I will say that I've never been not disappointed in footage people have given me from the GH4.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Is there an EF-mount video solution that does good video (not necessarily 4K, but clean HD, plenty of accessory inputs, etc etc) for $1K or less, besides the C100?

I'm pretty sure the C100 is Basically It, but I'd be dreadfully happy to hear of another option.

quote:

And you have an investment in EF lenses, but are they suitable for videography? Focus breathing and focus/stabilization motor noise can be very bothersome when trying to do do serious video work.

Most of her work (at least at first) will be interviews and fixed environment shots for B-roll, so focus and stabilization are basically non-issues. I will definitely be looking into cinema-grade lenses when she's ready to expand her skillset.

quote:

The 80D is king of video autofocus with its dual-pixel system, but by modern standards its HD video output is soft and laden with moire.

Maybe consider selling your lens collection along with the cameras and kick your budget up a little higher. You could go with something like a GH4 or Blackmagic camera with a few cinema primes. But that route only really makes sense if your current lenses aren't suitable for video.

If we were able to get top dollar for her lenses, they might come out to about $1200 total, which would limit us to Rokinon cinema lenses on the EF or E mount (their PL mount lenses start at $2000+). I looked at the older Blackmagic stuff, but heard bad things about the original Ursa so I kind of turned away from them for this stage.

While I've heard good things about the GH4 (at least compared to other DSLRs), it's a non-starter for us as MFT lenses aren't adaptable to professional cameras with larger sensors. I'm not necessarily opposed to switching lens systems, but I really only want to do it this one time.

fatman1683 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 28, 2018

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Focus breathing isn't too bad with photo lenses. Definitely depends on the lens though. For serious video work, I don't really think focus or motor noise is that big of an issue. This is because you're likely using manual focus anyway and for sound, you're either using lavs or boom mics. On-camera shotgun mics are more for run and gun or for syncing purposes. But even with those, I don't pick up stabilizer motor noise at all.

At this point, I'd still recommend a C100. Though I'm pretty biased since it's been my workhorse for the past 4 years and would never go back to DSLR for video work. (give me a Mark III, Canon dammit) Actually I'm lying, super tempted to get an A7iii for gimbal work and B camera stuff. Out of your budget for sure, but definitely an option with an adapter. Although only Sigma Art lenses with the Sigma MC-11 work well for autofocus.

I also wouldn't bother with Cine lenses unless your wife is planning to rig everything up with focus wheels. I'd stick with the lenses you have and go from there based on need.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

MrBlandAverage posted:

EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro. $400 new, less used.

For any Canon DSLR, this is the correct answer, always, to any question about shooting small things.

Kuvo, if your heart is set on using your Tamron 17-50/2.8 for some reason (is it fused to the camera? you have a DSLR, swap lenses), then the search term to use is "close up filter set", and you need to know your Tamron's filter-ring size. You can get a set of three close up filters for like $20, for that price you could play with them and see if they do what you want to do.

But if your budget is $500, get the 60mm f/2.8 Macro. Nobody I've ever spoken to who has used one has ever said anything bad at all about it. People love 'em.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
If we’re talking cheap macro options, these are pretty jankety, but they generally do work in my experience.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071RZT8GY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_u3DHBbJBS713B

I shot this with the adapters stacked behind my 18-55 kit lens. No crop here.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ExecuDork posted:

For any Canon DSLR, this is the correct answer, always, to any question about shooting small things.

Kuvo, if your heart is set on using your Tamron 17-50/2.8 for some reason (is it fused to the camera? you have a DSLR, swap lenses), then the search term to use is "close up filter set", and you need to know your Tamron's filter-ring size. You can get a set of three close up filters for like $20, for that price you could play with them and see if they do what you want to do.

But if your budget is $500, get the 60mm f/2.8 Macro. Nobody I've ever spoken to who has used one has ever said anything bad at all about it. People love 'em.

I mentioned the close up lens/filter (the terms are interchangeable?) cus it looked like the cheaper option, tho after talking with a photographer buddy he also recommended the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro so I'll shop around for that. Thanks for the help!

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The macro rings that El Presidente Beep linked work super well with a nifty-fifty if you want a super budget option.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
The only lens I've bought in the last like, 4 years, has been an old manual focus Macro Nikkor eBay for $60. Easily the best bang-for-buck I've spent on this hobby - opened up a whole new genre of shooting.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Macro Nikkor :thunk:

it's Micro, Nikon does a lot of work with actual microscope people who they knew wouldn't let them get away with calling a lens that only went to 1:2 a "macro"

But yeah they are cheap and good, although the working distance on 50/55mm macros tends to suck (not a nikkor-specific thing).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 30, 2018

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Hey thread, I'm looking into mini tripods for an upcoming trip and am curious if anyone has opinions about the miggo Splat or similar flexible tripods? I read back a few pages and saw that the Feisol TT-15 is popular so I'm also considering that, but it of course doesn't have flexible legs like the Splat or a Gorillapod or what have you.

I do most of my photography when I'm out hiking, so having a tripod with (theoretically) infinite flexibility seems appealing for use on uneven rocks, or shoved down in a crack, or whatever. However I look at them and think, "there's no way this is a safe thing to put my camera on." Would I be better off with a traditional mini tripod, and are these flexible guys mostly gimmicks that I'll hardly ever use? I only have space for one on this trip, so I'm hoping to make a somewhat informed decision.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

kedo posted:

Hey thread, I'm looking into mini tripods for an upcoming trip and am curious if anyone has opinions about the miggo Splat or similar flexible tripods? I read back a few pages and saw that the Feisol TT-15 is popular so I'm also considering that, but it of course doesn't have flexible legs like the Splat or a Gorillapod or what have you.

I do most of my photography when I'm out hiking, so having a tripod with (theoretically) infinite flexibility seems appealing for use on uneven rocks, or shoved down in a crack, or whatever. However I look at them and think, "there's no way this is a safe thing to put my camera on." Would I be better off with a traditional mini tripod, and are these flexible guys mostly gimmicks that I'll hardly ever use? I only have space for one on this trip, so I'm hoping to make a somewhat informed decision.

I've never heard of Miggo at all, I can't tell you much about them. I don't use my gorillapod focus much but I trust it to hold anything I have very firmly. What kind of camera are you running?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I have a Fujifilm X-T2. I'm curious, how does the Gorillapod work as a traditional tripod when you don't need to use it to wrap around something?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That Splat thing looks janky as hell, I'd never trust a camera to it.

I just bought a gorillapod v5 after way too much internal debate whether I wanted to go down that road, and I'm glad I did. It's beefy enough you could club someone to death with it and it holds my 80d plus 18-55 confidently. Not sure it could handle a 70-200 though, don't really want to try though it's technically within the weight specification. Being able to grapple on pretty much everything is a big win, but it means you need something in the right spot to grapple on to.

Or you could just plop it on the ground, but this is gonna be agony without a flippy screen or a phone live view mode.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

While we're still on mini tripod chat, how's the Ultrapod? I have a Gorillapod but it can be a pain in the rear end to manipulate the legs, plus this one looks even more compact

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
I think I've decided that I'm going to bite the bullet, nut up another ~$300 and swap out my wife's 1D and 5D for a 5D Mk III. The III had a huge number of improvements for videography over the Mk II, will be a lot more compact for run-and-gun work than the C100, and should make a decent B camera when she does add a proper cinema camera later.

One of my reservations, however, is the battery grip. The awesome thing about the grip on the 5D Mk II is that the batteries can be hot swapped, allowing for hypothetically infinite runtimes while recording. The Canon battery grip for the Mk III (and all the clones) use a magazine that slides in from the end of the grip, making it impossible to change one battery at a time. Does anyone make a battery grip for the MkIII that allows the batteries to be hot-swapped, or am I going to have to go to an external power solution?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

fatman1683 posted:

I think I've decided that I'm going to bite the bullet, nut up another ~$300 and swap out my wife's 1D and 5D for a 5D Mk III. The III had a huge number of improvements for videography over the Mk II, will be a lot more compact for run-and-gun work than the C100, and should make a decent B camera when she does add a proper cinema camera later.

One of my reservations, however, is the battery grip. The awesome thing about the grip on the 5D Mk II is that the batteries can be hot swapped, allowing for hypothetically infinite runtimes while recording. The Canon battery grip for the Mk III (and all the clones) use a magazine that slides in from the end of the grip, making it impossible to change one battery at a time. Does anyone make a battery grip for the MkIII that allows the batteries to be hot-swapped, or am I going to have to go to an external power solution?

No battery grip I've ever heard of. But you can adapt and it's readily available for Sony L series batteries. Here you go.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1259170-REG/indipro_tools_slplp_sony_l_series_battery_mounting.html

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Can I ask what storage you are recording to that you have hypothetically infinite run-times if you are plugged into a wall?

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Can I ask what storage you are recording to that you have hypothetically infinite run-times if you are plugged into a wall?

Well, this would be for not-plugged-into-a-wall shooting, but I plan on using an Atomos Ninja Blade with a large SSD for recording from HDMI. My research indicates that a pair of standard LP-E6 batteries would last about three hours, while a 500GB SSD can hold about twice that duration at ProRes 1080p 4:2:2.

I'm not saying this is a deal breaker, as the number of situations that would require 3+ hours of continuous recording are limited, but it is a notable feature of the Mk II that the Mk III loses.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

On the opposite end of the spectrum from the gorillapod, I'm looking for some advice on a heavy tripod for a Pentax 67. I think the general rule of thumb for these cameras is to get a tripod that is rated for at least twice the weight of the kit, so the tripod would need to handle a maximum load of at least 10 pounds. In addition to the weight rating, I've also found that the head needs to be very solid and take a fairly wide plate. I have a largeish aluminum tripod (an Oben), but the pan head fits a fairly small plate. It just can't handle the 6x7 at slow shutter speeds without a weighted backpack hanging off of it.

I'm not adverse to carrying weight. A heavy old tank of a tripod would do just fine. My local shop has a huge used Bogen. It's a tripod (3068?) with trunk-like aluminum legs and a massive head with a hexagonal plate... maybe a 3063. It's solid as gently caress and they're asking $275. Just wondering if there's anything cheaper out there that would do. I don't really care for any ergonomic features except maybe a quick-release plate.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For science I put my 150-600 on the gorillapod and pointed straight up to stress test, having the wight that lopsided is too much for it.

https://i.imgur.com/k3l2LLP.gifv

70-200 did this too, but it took the weight like a champ when horizontal which is how a sane person would use it anyways.

As for heavyweight legs the manfrotto 55xpro series is pretty well regarded, I see that line come up a lot in astrophotography forums. The newest ones (55xpro3) are rated for 19 pounds, I got an older version (55xprob) that specs at 12 pounds and has served me well. I got no firsthand recommendation on a head to use though, I've been salivating over a few options the past year but haven't gotten brave enough to pull the trigger.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

im the dog tent

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's the kitty travel crate. :colbert:

We leave it out so they don't see it as a threat because cats are loving wimps.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

xzzy posted:

For science I put my 150-600 on the gorillapod and pointed straight up to stress test, having the wight that lopsided is too much for it.

https://i.imgur.com/k3l2LLP.gifv

70-200 did this too, but it took the weight like a champ when horizontal which is how a sane person would use it anyways.

As for heavyweight legs the manfrotto 55xpro series is pretty well regarded, I see that line come up a lot in astrophotography forums. The newest ones (55xpro3) are rated for 19 pounds, I got an older version (55xprob) that specs at 12 pounds and has served me well. I got no firsthand recommendation on a head to use though, I've been salivating over a few options the past year but haven't gotten brave enough to pull the trigger.

lol it looks like it died of sadness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
im the dirty carpet