Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm thinking that maybe he killed himself because she escaped and he had terrible secrets hidden in that house. But, someone also floated the theory that he restrained her so she couldn't stop him, which, hey, could be possible.

But look at that loving look on her face. She looks loving terrified, like someone who has just escaped from hell. If he had just killed himself, why not use the phone in their own home? Did she not have a cell phone? I'm convinced she was running the hell away, and he killed himself to avoid the aftermath of her escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Because some Australian loan sharks watched American mob movies and got big ideas in their little underdeveloped convict brains

Honestly it sounds more like a Kray Brothers thing than a Godfather thing.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Leavemywife posted:

I'm thinking that maybe he killed himself because she escaped and he had terrible secrets hidden in that house. But, someone also floated the theory that he restrained her so she couldn't stop him, which, hey, could be possible.

But look at that loving look on her face. She looks loving terrified, like someone who has just escaped from hell. If he had just killed himself, why not use the phone in their own home? Did she not have a cell phone? I'm convinced she was running the hell away, and he killed himself to avoid the aftermath of her escape.

Looks like the ermahgard girl

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Whitlam posted:

Yeah, the unnerving is the people saying "oh, they were in a relationship? Phew, thought it would be much worse. :downs:"

People are just glad there's not another toybox killer running around

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Most recent article mentions a back window in their house was broken out which could be how she got out if that was the situation.
Hopefully after the holiday weekend the police will have enough info to give some statements to quell the conspiracies.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
She restrained herself and then escaped to try and frame him, but he caught on to her scheme and cleverly killed himself instead.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Whitlam posted:

Yeah, the unnerving is the people saying "oh, they were in a relationship? Phew, thought it would be much worse. :downs:"

I don't know how bad it actually is/was, but I'm thankful that she was found, and she didn't vanish into like, a serial killer's lair or a slaving ring or worse. I do not dispute that what's going on is bad, just that... I've read too much of this thread. Things could have been so much worse.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Leavemywife posted:

Also, why not wait even a moment at any of the houses she rang at? The only reason you wouldn't wait to see if someone answered is if you thought you were being chased.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

fruit on the bottom posted:

She restrained herself and then escaped to try and frame him, but he caught on to her scheme and cleverly killed himself instead.

Females, am I right?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Also if you restrain someone so they can't stop you from killing yourself they're then stuck as a restrained person in a house where the only person who knows they're restrained and could let them out is now a dead body. That's extremely hosed up Gerald's Game poo poo.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
for all the "Why didn't she just do X" or "Why did she do Y when Z would've made way more sense" folks, traumatized/panicking people tend not to think clearly and are operating mainly on instinct. Their brain is in "imminent death, must survive moment to moment" mode.

hth

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So wait, she restrained herself so he couldn't restrain her to stop her from stopping her from killing himself?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

for all the "Why didn't she just do X" or "Why did she do Y when Z would've made way more sense" folks, traumatized/panicking people tend not to think clearly and are operating mainly on instinct. Their brain is in "imminent death, must survive moment to moment" mode.

hth

Yeah, that's true.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PetraCore posted:

Also if you restrain someone so they can't stop you from killing yourself they're then stuck as a restrained person in a house where the only person who knows they're restrained and could let them out is now a dead body. That's extremely hosed up Gerald's Game poo poo.

Please look at the thread title again.

Also you can restrain someone in such a way that they can get free but not quickly.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Now that would be something. After that they should figure out who the Cleveland Torso Murderer was.
Heh. No surviving transferred DNA, not after the whole floating-in-the-lake thing. It would be more interesting to find out who the unidentified (but very recognizable) male victim was, but I doubt they kept flesh samples.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Celery Face posted:

It's insane how many cold cases are being solved by DNA advances this year. I never thought they would catch the Golden State Killer. Apparently the genealogist who did it is also trying to find out who the Boy In The Box was.

Maybe someone here knows the answer to this. Why for situations like this do we not have a cross-referenced database of people who were issued social security numbers, but who never filed taxes or otherwise hit the government radar or were reported dead/missing?

I get that it wouldn't be cheap to compile, but male, born in the early 50s, and never hit the radar ever, can't be so many people it's impossible to go through, right?

...right?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't know how bad it actually is/was, but I'm thankful that she was found, and she didn't vanish into like, a serial killer's lair or a slaving ring or worse. I do not dispute that what's going on is bad, just that... I've read too much of this thread. Things could have been so much worse.
I figure the most obvious conclusion is that he was an abusive rear end in a top hat whose victim/girlfriend escaped during a sexual assault, and who killed himself after her face showed up on the news - or after she kept insisting she was still going to leave him.

As I understand it, it's pretty common for abusers to harm or kill themselves, especially in front of their victims. I knew someone online who finally got a divorce after decades of tolerating beatings & rape, and her ex would show up at her house with a knife threatening to kill himself in front of her. Or try to hand her the knife and beg her to stab him.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Acute Grill posted:

Females, am I right?

Ask yourself who the real victim is: the woman who pounded on dozens of doors with what appeared to be restraints on her arms before running off into the night or the man who owned the house she escaped from who shot himself before the cops arrived?

Ulthar
Aug 14, 2007

My parents are deeaaaaaaad!!!

pookel posted:

I figure the most obvious conclusion is that he was an abusive rear end in a top hat whose victim/girlfriend escaped during a sexual assault, and who killed himself after her face showed up on the news - or after she kept insisting she was still going to leave him.

As I understand it, it's pretty common for abusers to harm or kill themselves, especially in front of their victims. I knew someone online who finally got a divorce after decades of tolerating beatings & rape, and her ex would show up at her house with a knife threatening to kill himself in front of her. Or try to hand her the knife and beg her to stab him.

A family friend caught her husband cheating, and a confrontation ended with him shooting himself in the head as she tried to get the gun away from him. The extent of his lies proved to be much larger than she had originally thought. From what I understand she’s starting to recover, but yeah. :smith:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

pookel posted:

Yeah abusers often use self harm as a threat. "Do what I want or I cut myself" is a way to get a normal person's attention or sympathy. No please don't! Ok I'll give you another chance/tolerate the abuse/do whatever I can to keep you from hurting yourself. Eventually it can become apparent that it won't change or poo poo gets so bad the threat won't do it. Other times it's just calling a bluff like "fine then, do it." Of course if the abuser actually does it then it's the abused person's fault because look what you made me do. Then the abuse victim can internalize that and poo poo gets worse. Abusers just do whatever works.

Of course the worst thing you can do to an abuser is leave them or tell them no. Then they feel like they have to punish you because hey I'm the victim here, they told me No! Don't they care? Just words won't do it or won't get a foot in the door so they have to get that string to pull on in increasingly insane ways. "Come back or I kill myself" is one of the most extreme. It's really hard to resist talking them off the ledge but they'll often be all like "no you have to come back and give me what I want." It's all about coercion and control. They know you care because you have empathy and they WILL use that against you.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

When I was younger, I had a girl a few years younger than me crushing on me. She had a lot of issues that slowly pushed me away from our friendship, until eventually I took 30 minutes to reply to a text and she immediately sent a very long, rambling text threatening to kill herself if I didn't pay attention to her.

I told her that I couldn't be friends with her any more if she was going to do that, and when her texts started getting incoherent I contacted one of her friends to go check on her. Turns out she just took a non-lethally large dosage of her anti-depressants and got loopy. I completely stopped talking to her until she got medicated, and now she's married with a daughter.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
if she had antidepressants wasnt she already medicated

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

:concerned:

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

Also, why not wait even a moment at any of the houses she rang at? The only reason you wouldn't wait to see if someone answered is if you thought you were being chased.

It could easily be some stupid game of pranking the neighbours and she looks a bit freaked out because she's scared they'd catch her mid prank. Sure it doesn't look good at all but with no further information to go on you can't really give an answer to anything.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Azathoth posted:

Maybe someone here knows the answer to this. Why for situations like this do we not have a cross-referenced database of people who were issued social security numbers, but who never filed taxes or otherwise hit the government radar or were reported dead/missing?

I get that it wouldn't be cheap to compile, but male, born in the early 50s, and never hit the radar ever, can't be so many people it's impossible to go through, right?

...right?

The only reason that social security numbers are assigned at birth is for tax dependent purposes and that wasn't even true until 1986. Anyone born before the 70s didn't necessarily have them assigned until they got their first job. The boy in the box probably never had a social security number. In addition, your birth certificate tended to only be registered in your county of birth which had only paper records in filing cabinets. Lots of those records were destroyed in fires, floods, and just randomly lost. Some people born at home never even bothered getting birth certificates. What you're suggesting might be possible for someone born today but was completely impossible for someone born in the 50s.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

PetraCore posted:

This was the worst Stephen King novel.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

jobson groeth posted:

It could easily be some stupid game of pranking the neighbours and she looks a bit freaked out because she's scared they'd catch her mid prank. Sure it doesn't look good at all but with no further information to go on you can't really give an answer to anything.
While half-naked and with restraints dangling from her arms? I mean if she didn't want to get caught she didn't want to be seen, in your hypothetical, so why the 'set dressing'?

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

PetraCore posted:

While half-naked and with restraints dangling from her arms? I mean if she didn't want to get caught she didn't want to be seen, in your hypothetical, so why the 'set dressing'?

We don't have any information to go on so it's impossible to say one way or another.

Sure she could have been chained up and he shot himself after it was found out she was being held captive. At the same time they could have just been wasted and playing kinky games at home and she was dared to go ring on a few doorbells with no pants on before running away.

It definitely doesn't look good but with nothing much else to go on you can't really say.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Good news, she's alive and can tell the police what was happening.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This conversation is so ridiculous and convoluted I can’t follow what any specific person is advocating. This is leaning into Alex Jones style talking out of both sides of your mouth babbling

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Leavemywife posted:

Maybe I'm bad at reading people but it looks like she just kind of calmly walks up and rings the bell. Not exactly a horrifying scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyvY4JcoO0

Tiny Timbs has a new favorite as of 00:45 on Aug 31, 2018

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Aesop Poprock posted:

This conversation is so ridiculous and convoluted I can’t follow what any specific person is advocating. This is leaning into Alex Jones style talking out of both sides of your mouth babbling

the past page or so has felt like theres some kind of debate happening entirely inside a switched on washing machine

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

quite stretched out posted:

the past page or so has felt like theres some kind of debate happening entirely inside a switched on washing machine

Oh, is that where she had been tied up in?

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Aesop Poprock posted:

This was partly why the Everest thread was so good. A bunch of goons min/maxing firsthand accounts of professional mountaineers into a narrative about how they would totally have survived X horrible disaster. I think folks were unironically advocating piped air up to the high camps in one thread.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Pirate Radar posted:

Oh, is that where she had been tied up in?

oh nooo ive been suck in to the whirlpool!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Pull up, thread, pull up

https://twitter.com/hoosteen/status/1034874230566019072

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Azathoth posted:

...right?
In the US, the fourth amendment and supreme court cases establishing a right to privacy.

jobson groeth posted:

It could just be a sex thing.
Want to bet on it under pain of :toxx:? I'll bet $50, I'll give it to a charity of your choice if it seems conclusive that it was consensual, you donate $50 to RAINN if it seems conclusive that she was a victim. Posters in this thread can vote on the outcome if we don't agree, and if it's ambiguous we each give $25 to our chosen charity.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

edit: this was an appallingly terrible post and the worst possible way to make the point I was trying to make.

GWBBQ has a new favorite as of 23:41 on Sep 1, 2018

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I vote that betting on whether or not someone was sexually assaulted is pretty loving ghoulish.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yeah my argument was that we don't know all the details and it's best not to assume anything with a level of certainty especially as none of us are like, involved with the incident...

...but also that I think it's really understandable that people are jumping to the worst conclusions because while there's not a lot known publicly to go on, everything that is known publicly basically screams 'something really loving bad was going on in that house'. It's conceivably possible it was a weird sex game prank door-ditching but it's not super plausible, and the wording of the very brief follow-up that was presumably put out by people who know more details also seems to imply to me something happened to this woman, although it's conceivable the main thing that happened to her was her boyfriend shooting himself, which would be pretty drat traumatizing on it's own.

If I misread what other people were saying and they also acknowledge hosed up stuff is likely but are just playing devil's advocate because it's messed up to immediately label a dead guy a horrible sex monster because he killed himself and his girlfriend was acting in distressed and distressing manners, then I'm sorry. It's a strange and unnerving world out there, and sometimes things genuinely are not as bad as they seem from a superficial look. But you gotta admit, this superficial look is kind of a doozy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I vote that betting on whether or not someone was sexually assaulted is pretty loving ghoulish.

Ill second that motion and move to a full vote

All in favor?