Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
A-R-M-Y

ARMY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
good lord this is never going to stop is it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
At McNally’s funeral, years in the future, the person weeping most will be an Army auditor trying to get all McNally’s benefits back.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

I was annoyed at not being able to do my job because of computer fuckery army style till I saw this.

Now I kind of just want Mustang to post again so I can watch someone who signed up for it get poo poo on.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
So some things I learned on the phone today:

1) The Fort Meade Casualty Assistance Office filled out the SBP paperwork wrong to begin with (checked "yes" to the box where it asked if I had dependent children; in fairness, I probably should have spotted this but I was pretty sleep deprived when I signed the form)

2) Nobody told the Fort Knox Casualty Assistance Center that I'd moved into their AOR

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I am so loving tired.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Having an NCOIC now, and one that is actually good at his job at that, has made my life 1000x easier.

I also now know my new BN XO has my back, especially when he wasn't pissed at me after I got him locked up at attention with me by that LTC from corps and crushed the balls of a few of the company commanders that tried to throw me under the bus as scape goat for their failures.

Army still sucks and I want out, but it sucks less than it did.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Mustang posted:

Having an NCOIC now, and one that is actually good at his job at that, has made my life 1000x easier.

I also now know my new BN XO has my back, especially when he wasn't pissed at me after I got him locked up at attention with me by that LTC from corps and crushed the balls of a few of the company commanders that tried to throw me under the bus as scape goat for their failures.

When is your ETS date dude?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I haven't gotten that far yet, I still have to sit down with the BDE commander and get his approval.

My commitment ended 3 months ago so he's not going to deny it, the guys that get denied are dudes with ADSOs for branch or duty station trying to REFRAD before their commitment is over.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Yeah but what month will you pin captain?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I've tried to forget how angry the Army made me, then I go in LinkedIn/Facebook and there's a bunch of veterans congratulating themselves for their service and making GBS threads on everyone who didn't volunteer to get their balls shot off for college money. I need to move to Sweden or Costa Rica.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Speaking of linkedin, is it actually useful? Or is it just another facebook?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
LinkedIn is pretty useful if your chosen industry makes much use of it. Mine...kinda does?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

May for CPT.

Out by June or July to start an MBA program in September if I get accepted. Taking GMAT in October and applying in January.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You can also apply for jobs on linked in, so if you go that route it's useful to have a fleshed out profile that works as a CV on some applications.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Slim Pickens posted:

You can also apply for jobs on linked in, so if you go that route it's useful to have a fleshed out profile that works as a CV on some applications.

I've had much higher response rates from applying to jobs on LinkedIn. It's worth having if you're in any sort of technology industry.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Mustang posted:

Are you still the S4? That's what I hated about being an S4 - it made me realize how loving clueless a lot of commanders are about logistics. They assume the S4 does everything and that they do not need to do anything on their end.

I think I'm the only commander in my unit who has had S4 and XO time...and it shows. Especially when you have commanders bitching about "orders being cancelled by the S4" but then realizing that they never even ordered the loving thing because they just pawn everything off on their XO and don't do anything to teach him about his job.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

psydude posted:

I've had much higher response rates from applying to jobs on LinkedIn. It's worth having if you're in any sort of technology industry.

I need to do this. And get a good resume going. At this point I'm ready to pay for a service to get it done

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I need to do this. And get a good resume going. At this point I'm ready to pay for a service to get it done

I did the goon resume service like 5 years ago when it was still owned by the original guy. The first job I applied to was a network engineer position at Facebook and was immediately contacted by a recruiter the same day. I guess he sold it and the quality plummeted, unfortunately, but drat what a trial run.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Having a completed profile with the right keywords and photo really helps. You'll start showing up in searches and get cold calls from headhunters and recruiters. Really vet the companies of the cold call recruiters. The last one I got presented me a job title above my current abilities (Director-ish) from a company that had just gotten done gutting their R&D the previous week after their first product launch. Sign me up!

Oh, and it was Achaogen. These shitbags flush their scientists like TP so I'm naming and shaming.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I've done help desk for a fortune 500 company for 7 years now. I figure now is a good time to see what's out there.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Ashmole posted:

Are you still the S4? That's what I hated about being an S4 - it made me realize how loving clueless a lot of commanders are about logistics. They assume the S4 does everything and that they do not need to do anything on their end.

I think I'm the only commander in my unit who has had S4 and XO time...and it shows. Especially when you have commanders bitching about "orders being cancelled by the S4" but then realizing that they never even ordered the loving thing because they just pawn everything off on their XO and don't do anything to teach him about his job.

Yeah. My BN XO has been an S4 before as well which helps. With my old one I would constantly hear "S4, figure it out!!". There was one thing they wanted me to do that would require a general officer in another branch of service to approve and I had to tell them like 10 times over a month that what they wanted to do was basically impossible.

The new MAJ I work for has more realistic expectations. He also supported me pushing a lot of stuff back down onto the companies that had been pawned off onto the S4 shop during the tenure of one of my predecessors.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mustang posted:

There was one thing they wanted me to do that would require a general officer in another branch of service to approve and I had to tell them like 10 times over a month that what they wanted to do was basically impossible.

See you can't just leave a lede like that hanging

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Mustang posted:

Yeah. My BN XO has been an S4 before as well which helps. With my old one I would constantly hear "S4, figure it out!!". There was one thing they wanted me to do that would require a general officer in another branch of service to approve and I had to tell them like 10 times over a month that what they wanted to do was basically impossible.

The new MAJ I work for has more realistic expectations. He also supported me pushing a lot of stuff back down onto the companies that had been pawned off onto the S4 shop during the tenure of one of my predecessors.

I would get constantly harassed about the loving government purchase card as if it was the only way to order supplies. It's sad when you have field grades asking you to order office supplies with the GPC because they don't know how things work.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I've done help desk for a fortune 500 company for 7 years now

Jeez

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I'm really good at it and it's been a good company but there's nowhere else to go for me

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Also it's mostly offshore users in India

Wrap your head around that poo poo

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I'm really good at it and it's been a good company but there's nowhere else to go for me

SHSC has a lot of good resources for career advancement and skills development for IT people.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Mustang posted:

Glad you got a good XO to go to bat for you.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

EBB posted:

See you can't just leave a lede like that hanging

It was essentially trying to get another service to transport our equipment and personnel on their dime so that we could save money on our training budget. Which is technically possible but incredibly unlikely.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

not caring here posted:

Speaking of linkedin, is it actually useful? Or is it just another facebook?

Last time I was deployed I got a job offer via LinkedIn from the company I already worked for.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
It’s gone down hill compared to what it used to be.

I have a coworker who turned it into her version of facebook, posting minion memes, videos, and trying to pick up guys.

So far she’s been scammed for a phone, iTunes gift cards, and cash.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I had a dream last night and I'm pretty sure it involved getting awarded another ribbon even though I was done in January. It terrified me after I woke up because I'm certain that receiving it made me happy in the dream, and gently caress that noise.

Also fun thing I'm doing a name change in a few weeks. How hosed are my GI bill payments going to be? Trying to correct a misspelled middle name (that happened when someone at the DEERS office was handjamming my deployment paperwork) caused me to lose like three months of pay before they figured poo poo out, but then it was still misspelled on my discharge 214/22 three years later. Changing an entire name has got to be like a DEFCON 1 at DEERS, isn't it?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Got my wife's LOD paperwork in the mail today.

One of the forms states that she was dead on arrival upon admission to the hospital on September 10th, 2015.

And then died on December 10th.

Well done Army.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Stop loss

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I had a dream last night and I'm pretty sure it involved getting awarded another ribbon even though I was done in January. It terrified me after I woke up because I'm certain that receiving it made me happy in the dream, and gently caress that noise.

Also fun thing I'm doing a name change in a few weeks. How hosed are my GI bill payments going to be? Trying to correct a misspelled middle name (that happened when someone at the DEERS office was handjamming my deployment paperwork) caused me to lose like three months of pay before they figured poo poo out, but then it was still misspelled on my discharge 214/22 three years later. Changing an entire name has got to be like a DEFCON 1 at DEERS, isn't it?

Here you go, buddy. http://arba.army.pentagon.mil/abcmr-overview.html

quote:

The Board will consider applications for name changes to the DD214 to correct an error or remove an injustice. The applicant must provide justification demonstrating that they were a victim of an error (i.e., genuine error) or that having their former name on their DD-214 causes an injustice (e.g., due to a divorce or their transgender status). A signed and authenticated court order providing proof the applicant's name was legally changed should accompany the application. As with all applications to the Board, each application for a name change will be considered on its own merits.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
There's something about this letter I received today that makes their words of sympathy feel hollow.

I can't exactly place my finger on it, though.

Edit: Apparently the scan quality isn't making it quite as obvious that this letter wasn't actually signed, they just slapped a picture of their signature covered in .jpeg artifacts into the letter.

McNally fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 31, 2018

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I've just been feeling fuckin' tired lately. Got a new boss, but he's an Infantry turned PA, so his level of hooah is insane. And he never knows how to say no, so every good idea fairy that flits through the door, he goes chasing after.

Honestly, there's days where I want to just loving leave. Get fat and get a chapter, fail a PT test. Slap this rear end in a top hat across the mouth and tell him to shut the gently caress up. I only have 5 years left before I get retirement, and yet I don't know if I should keep going.

I'll be heading off to SLC soon, which isn't bad, but...well, poo poo. I still have a few months left here before I head over to my next assignment.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

J.A.B.C. posted:

Honestly, there's days where I want to just loving leave. Get fat and get a chapter, fail a PT test. Slap this rear end in a top hat across the mouth and tell him to shut the gently caress up. I only have 5 years left before I get retirement, and yet I don't know if I should keep going.

You pretty much have to murder the wrong person or get caught running a prostitution ring out of the barracks to get thrown out post surge. Can't force reduce too hard when we're still in a three front forever war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Steezo posted:

You pretty much have to murder the wrong person or get caught running a prostitution ring out of the barracks to get thrown out post surge. Can't force reduce too hard when we're still in a three front forever war.

Nah, they tried to kick me out for being too fat during my medboard before I had to get legal to tell my commander to knock it the gently caress off.

Give them a reason, they make it a mission.