Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

pubic works project posted:

He was in New Avengers as the leader of W.H.I.S.P.E.R., but that might have taken place before his Ultimates 2 appearance.

Ultimates 2 was later I think, Assuming Al Ewing is still writing for Marvel I bet he'll be back. He comes in slices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is that a reference to what Owen did to him in Secret Wars?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

I think so. It's a line Ewing uses at least once, possibly more.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

radlum posted:

Also, Anka's art is amazing; he should never leave the book.

I feel like if that comic's circulation was just a little bit higher, Anka would be starting fashion trends left and right with it.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Wanderer posted:

I feel like if that comic's circulation was just a little bit higher, Anka would be starting fashion trends left and right with it.

Let’s see how things play out on the cosplay circuit for a bit

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I really like Runaways as well but I feel like they wrote Julie Power out too fast. It's nice that they're going "back to basics" getting the gang together, but I would've liked to see some more cracks in Julie and Karolina's relationship before it ended because, to me at least, it feels like she kinda got shuffled off the board so that Karolina and Nico could have their big smooch and we could get that pesky non-Runaway out of the way of the romantic tension.

That said I look forward to every issue of the further adventures of Victor Mancha's head.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 30, 2018

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rhyno posted:

It is! In fact, what Owen did to him is never really undone. The Maker comes in slices. Sometimes when he gets hit hard enough he goes back to being in slices.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Elsa got some moves

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Is that Nico and Karolina?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It is! In fact, what Owen did to him is never really undone. The Maker comes in slices. Sometimes when he gets hit hard enough he goes back to being in slices.

I need to finish Ultimates.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Wanderer posted:

He's doing style guides now so i think he has this in mind too

https://twitter.com/kristaferanka/status/1035236802020265984?s=19

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
How does old Lace breathe?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol at including Victor as a head

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaunab posted:

How does old Lace breathe?

It's a nose ring, not a plug, so the same way bulls do I guess. Also, it has a mouth.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

lol at including Victor as a head

Are they bringing him back?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Skwirl posted:

Are they bringing him back?

He's been back, he's a main character in the book.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's the Smash Bros Ultimate of Runaways books. Everyone is here.

(Except Xavin and honestly, eh.)

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Xavin aged pretty terribly for a character who’s less than 15 years old.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

site posted:

He's doing style guides now so i think he has this in mind too

https://twitter.com/kristaferanka/status/1035236802020265984?s=19

It’s weird seeing well done clothing that’s not basically paint on skin figure. Good design and art. They actually seem like normal people I’d see on the street or school

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gatts posted:

It’s weird seeing well done clothing that’s not basically paint on skin figure. Good design and art. They actually seem like normal people I’d see on the street or school

I know what you're going for but I can't help but to see the velociraptor while reading your post and I can't help but want to live where you do if that's a common occurrence.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The raptor is one of your neighbor's fursona

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Still loving X-23. The story is real good, but man I am falling in love with Juan Cabal's art.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Hey dudes, I'm writing the INFINITY WARS: GHOST PANTHER mini starting in November! Pretty psyched, it should be just the over-the-top blood opera the times call for!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Congrats, that sounded like one of the better warped characters

Be sure to include Knuckles O'Shaugnessy tia

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Oh my god.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Hey dudes, I'm writing the INFINITY WARS: GHOST PANTHER mini starting in November! Pretty psyched, it should be just the over-the-top blood opera the times call for!

Congratulations! I'm sure it will be awesome.

Back to Runaways talk, I hope they give Victor a body soon because, though I like Chase's style, as a Hispanic dude, I'd prefer to see styles more in tune with my skin tone.

Also, I was interested in Exiles but the latest issue kind of took that interest away. Still liking Quicksilver: No Surrender though

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

That rocks!

And while you're here: Who came up with the universe designation for Spider Punk, and whose idea was it to put that quote on his bat? My punk friend has been geeking out over the issue.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Holy poo poo

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

X-O posted:

Still loving X-23. The story is real good, but man I am falling in love with Juan Cabal's art.

Yeah, the background details and gags are hilarious, but his action is so kinetic & flows, and the dude is so inventive*. Really enjoyed how he had Laura mirroring a Cuckoo's pose at the end of #1, and the split panels you posted are so effective. He's getting more and more consistent since the Elektra mini and his previous ANW arc, so hopefully he stays on X-23 for a long time, because ANW never having consistency between arcs was a shame.

*Drawing all these covers, I mean, goddamn.

Tamaki's deliberate writing style, wringing out all the tension and emotion of the plot, is a really great fit for X-23 too, and the colours and lettering are supporting this so well.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Open Marriage Night posted:

And while you're here: Who came up with the universe designation for Spider Punk, and whose idea was it to put that quote on his bat? My punk friend has been geeking out over the issue.

Those were both my contributions- putting a bunch of punk easter eggs in the first story was a lot of fun, but I didn't have the time to do it to the same degree in Edge.

Metalshark posted:

That New X-Men cover, holy poo poo

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I still haven't figured out what we did to deserve Gabby. As a fandom we're usually terrible!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I absolutely love the art on X-23. Everyone looks so sculpted and real. It is one of very, very, very few superhero comics I've ever read where the women actually have realistic body proportions, not just in the sense of, "they're not sexualised", but in the more elusive sense of their torsos and waists and such being pretty stocky and human-looking rather than waspy and fashion doll looking. Also, Gabby looks and acts like an actual kid! It's great.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Metalshark posted:

Yeah, the background details and gags are hilarious, but his action is so kinetic & flows, and the dude is so inventive*. Really enjoyed how he had Laura mirroring a Cuckoo's pose at the end of #1, and the split panels you posted are so effective. He's getting more and more consistent since the Elektra mini and his previous ANW arc, so hopefully he stays on X-23 for a long time, because ANW never having consistency between arcs was a shame.

Tamaki's deliberate writing style, wringing out all the tension and emotion of the plot, is a really great fit for X-23 too, and the colours and lettering are supporting this so well.

I'd read the gently caress out of all those comics.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

That sounds extremely cool. Congratulations!! :)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Metalshark posted:

Still one of the best panels

Gabby owns so much

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Metalshark posted:

This is beautiful.

E: On a whim instead of reading the new Runaways I just started from the beginning and I really forgot how young they write Molly in the beginning, and also the stuff with Alex sure feels different knowing where that's all going.

Rick fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 31, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Diversity is killing comics

https://twitter.com/GWillowWilson/status/1035585532141568000?s=19

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'd be careful using sales in any kind of argument like that. For every Ms. Marvel you can point to a number of similar series which have had poo poo sales even though they were great books. The best argument will always be quality of story and critical reception. Sales success is certainly a positive but it's not something people for diversity should base their arguments on.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

That was like one run of Spider Man #1 in 1995 tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

^burtle posted:

That was like one run of Spider Man #1 in 1995 tho.

3/5ths of those sales were the same people buying 3 copies of all 71 variant covers though