Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I can't unhear Taako (The Adventure Zone) now with Eric Stewart's James.

I dunno if this is a curse or a boon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

McDragon posted:

man there's a lot of guns in early pokemon
I don't remember there being multiple machine guns in the Squirtle Squad episode. How did that not get banned? :psyduck:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

4Kids is very inconsistent, very lazy and very hypocritical in their editing and censoring. It's a wonder to behold, honestly.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

he no like
banana

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Crosspeice posted:

4Kids is very inconsistent, very lazy and very hypocritical in their editing and censoring. It's a wonder to behold, honestly.

I'd say in their defense they were taking some 40 episodes of a Japanese cartoon on hiatus from causing seizures and getting them ready to air every weekday around the launch of Red and Blue.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 29, 2018

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I guess Noah's arc is canon to pokemon??

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

All of these places get 5 stars from me, except Lysandre's cafe that place sucks. There's no food, no drinks, just a bunch of assholes with red hair sitting around and bitching about how much they hate "the poors".

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I guess Noah's arc is canon to pokemon??
No, that's YuGiOh.

Dehry posted:

I'd say in their defense they were taking some 40 episodes of a Japanese cartoon on hiatus from causing seizures and getting them ready to air every weekday around the launch of Red and Blue.

Also they didn't have the WB's S&P, something that'd bite YuGiOh right on the arse, to worry about at the time.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
These Pokemon episodes have some really bad transfers from the original tapes. It looks like someone did a camrip.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dehry posted:

These Pokemon episodes have some really bad transfers from the original tapes. It looks like someone did a camrip.

It's entirely possible they had to use like someone's old vhs tape, long running TV shows have been known to just throw away old tapes before (Dr who being a famous example)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

And they can’t just ask shopro for the masters because of the edits. Even if they reversed some of the visual edits, the audio track wouldn’t sync without redoing the cuts.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOF-SijlAU8&feature=youtu.be

This is a pretty cool lecture about how Masuda made the Lavender Town and Pokemon Mansion tracks so unsettling. The same guy also transcribed the entire Red/Blue score (which is more insane than you'd think, 99.99999% due to Pokemon Mansion). really made me think about how Masuda's music has been crucial to the success of the games, because of how good he is at evoking the desired emotions in the player.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
If Masuda’s still doing the music, he went in a really weird direction with some of his poo poo after Gen 4. Good weird, the legendary encounter theme for Gen 5 is pretty much distilled tension and perfect for the situation, but still.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1035110098056695809

This is big.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

If Masuda’s still doing the music, he went in a really weird direction with some of his poo poo after Gen 4. Good weird, the legendary encounter theme for Gen 5 is pretty much distilled tension and perfect for the situation, but still.

I'm p sure I've seen his name in the credits still altho seeing as how the games hold way more music now he prob is more a music director rather then just composer

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Why is it big

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

I think it’s because Sunday is THE day for kids shows. Most Japanese kids have school on Saturdays, so Sunday is the one day butts will be in seats. TV shows have stretched story arcs with filler just to hold onto their Sunday timeslot.

This might mean they’re planning something big with the anime, now that it has this prestige timeslot. Could also mean nothing at all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If you're watching the Twitch marathon, you might notice that there's a list of movies and episodes not being shown.

I was curious, so I looked into these to see why.

All those movies were distributed by Miramax, so their rights are still tangled up in Disney.

Beauty and the Beach is the infamous "lost episode" where James got balloon boobs.
Barboach vs Wiscash and Rocket vs Plasma of course never aired in the first place due to their closeness to the 2004 Chuetsu quake and the 2011 Tohoku tsunami respectively.
The Legend of Dratini never got dubbed because it has a character who really likes shooting at people with a gun. Funnily enough, this episode being banned created a plot hole since it's the one where Ash catches all those drat Tauroses.
The last four episodes are all not airing for the same reason, and the first episode's name might be a clue as to why. All these episodes are either banned from further airing or never got dubbed due to featuring the Generation 1 design of Jynx.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, managed to flick the marathon on with perfect timing for electabuzz

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Spatula City posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOF-SijlAU8&feature=youtu.be

This is a pretty cool lecture about how Masuda made the Lavender Town and Pokemon Mansion tracks so unsettling. The same guy also transcribed the entire Red/Blue score (which is more insane than you'd think, 99.99999% due to Pokemon Mansion). really made me think about how Masuda's music has been crucial to the success of the games, because of how good he is at evoking the desired emotions in the player.

I've pulled the midi files directly from Platinum and the way some of the music is set up is really cool

Also, the fact a good chunk of the DPPt OST can be mimicked almost 1:1 with the basic Windows MIDI instruments amuses me far more than it should

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Don’t mind me, I just heard the words “DPPt OST” and needed to post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa5Klsafq1w

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I do like people finding the weird animation stuff in these old episodes.

https://twitter.com/TAHK0/status/1034996132064112640

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

It was in that Thursday timeslot since they resumed episodes after the Porygon incident.

I was curious and started going through my DVD rips of the early episodes and it seems the shaky video keeps going through Jhoto but stops in the Advance era. Also if anyone wants to watch those Pokemon movies, there's a DVD called "Pokémon Collectors 4-Film Set" at Walmart and Amazon for $4 but they're compressed to all fit on one DVD. It looks like some pirated copy but it's the real deal.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Waffleman_ posted:

The Legend of Dratini never got dubbed because it has a character who really likes shooting at people with a gun. Funnily enough, this episode being banned created a plot hole since it's the one where Ash catches all those drat Tauroses.

Not to encourage anime chat, but I definitely remember watching this episode as a kid. Ash accidentally catches an entire herd with one ball, right? I don't remember the gun thing tho... Did they ever recut partial episodes?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Chill Penguin posted:

Not to encourage anime chat, but I definitely remember watching this episode as a kid. Ash accidentally catches an entire herd with one ball, right? I don't remember the gun thing tho... Did they ever recut partial episodes?

Nope, they kept getting in the way of other better captures

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Vinylshadow posted:

Nope, they kept getting in the way of other better captures

“Better”

Bullshit. No pun intended. Tauros was literally the last capture I needed for 151 in the original Red. Dude was so hard to catch.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Chill Penguin posted:

The only episode that ever got recut was Beauty and the Beach. I remember seeing the others on YouTube or streaming the Pokemon Sunday variety show before they announced game news.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The anime is terrible. Lets talk about heliolisk and helioptile instead.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Man, I enjoyed the Holiday Hi-Jynx episode as a kid.

It had Santa in it, with a bunch of Jynx standing in as his helpers, and had a Lapras that could talk via telepathy. It makes me sad that their choice of skin color for one goddamn pokemon made people scream so hard they took it off the air.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

thrilla in vanilla posted:

The anime is terrible. Lets talk about heliolisk and helioptile instead.

Helioptile is adorable like pretty much all unevolved electric types, and Heliolisk looks kinda ugly in the art but real cool ingame when it’s sundial frill opens up. That’s my blistering hot take.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Gimme my Dinosaur designed by the Megaman Megamix guy or give me death.

Man I miss the clipping function from the MMPR marathon. The licensers really skimped out after saban allowed it for maximum effect.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The best episode of the Pokemon anime is without a doubt the doctor episode where they have to take all of the Pokemon to the human hospital. You cannot convince me otherwise.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What are the things that prevent you from banking a pokemon? I want to transfer my competitive team from Moon to Ultra Moon ahead of PAX and it's refusing some of them

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
what pokemon is it refusing?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
literally everything I want to transfer. Now that I think about it it's probably because they're in battle teams

e: oh bank can't transfer items and I don't have all the items I need on UM, guess they're staying in Moon

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 31, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They love you too much and don't wanna go.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

cheetah7071 posted:

literally everything I want to transfer. Now that I think about it it's probably because they're in battle teams

e: oh bank can't transfer items and I don't have all the items I need on UM, guess they're staying in Moon

Bank can't transfer items but you can trade with the items attached, so long as they aren't key items like Z Stones.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Is there any good reason why you can't bank pokemon holding items? Especially when you used to be able to trade up pokemon holding items. I really kinda enjoyed ending up with like 4 masterballs in b2/w2 because I never used the masterball in previous games and just kept trading them up to the newer version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
Gamefreak wants to be able to retire items (like they did with type gems) would be my guess. If pressed they might also make up some reason about preserving a game's difficulty or rewards curve.