Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I guess the snapdragon 1000 thats supposed to come out within the next 12 months or so will support 64 bit programs and actually be able to run windows poo poo decently

Should play well with passive cooling//battery life type poo poo :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

sincx posted:

What's the point of this device? Or Windows on ARM in general.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/a...y-life-ifa-2018

ARM is going to eat Intel for lunch here in about 3 years, I don't think Intel has any solid executive leadership left anymore'; they have been stuck on 14nm for 4, going on 5 years now, 10nm process has been "next year" for so long it's starting to sound like physicists promising nuclear fusion "only 50 years out" now for 50 years...

ARM is stupidly power efficent, every programming language worth it's salt supports both x86-64 and ARM7 as first class compile target citizens.

My 2 year old $160 chromebook still has 10 hours of real world battery life. The point of that device is a $200 device that does everything your current laptop does now but has 3x the battery life and probably cost 33% of what you paid for your last laptop.

As a power user who likes to play games and likes super snappy stuff I will always pay extra for the raw computing power to play games and build things, but for 90%+ of the population an ARM powered windows laptop does everything they need it to, for a fraction of the price and a multiple of the battery life. Easy decision.

Intel is toast long term. They've started investing in Arduino hacker projects, SSDs, and now GPUs.... they're just a couple of quarters away from bad things happening. They still have their market lead over AMD, but that doesn't matter much if ARM replaces them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

people who can use a CB can also just use their phones. Lots of people don’t even own computers anymore (in the desktop or laptop sense), like my parents

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Word on the street is that Apple is this > < close to releasing an ARM-powered Macbook. For lower power and medium sized applications, ARM is a very solid choice and costs a hell of a lot less than Intel, and doesn't come with the legacy cruft that drives up the power budget. Look at the Surface Go. An ARM processor belongs in there. Microsoft can't compete with Apple until they can also build for ARM.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Microsoft can't compete with apple eh

Interesting take

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Fallom posted:

How do people like the new X1 Carbon that Costco is selling? I'm really tempted to sell my XPS 15 and replace it.

So far everyone I've seen post itt absolutely loves it, just keep in mind that if you use the B&N link in the OP you can get the same specs and a significantly better screen for a bit less than what Costco is charging (or Costco's config for $2-300 less). That excellent warranty/return policy ain't free

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I’d be curious as to what an intel “guts” costs for a laptop vs arm. $100 less? Who cares in that case.

I’d also like to know how well an arm version of photoshop, excel, etc would run

As far as power goes....10 hours is enough runtime for most users. Which intel can do now.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Agreed, you don't get any meaningful savings with ARM. Look at the sticker price on that yoga, over $800 :laffo:

Why opt for a crippled machine just to save $100 at best? May as well get a Chromebook. Please let ARM based windows die, Microsoft...

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I can't express how stoked I am to see 8086 derived architecture die within our lifetimes, along with the internal combustion engine and the Boatswains chair. :argh:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Hadlock posted:

Refurbished T460 with a 1080p panel off of eBay, or maybe a T450 depending on budget

Someone else can suggest something newer. The $400-600 new market is full of moderately crappy models that should for your use case.

Bought a t450 off of craigslit for 100$ seems to do the trick thanks :)

mystes
May 31, 2006

KingSlime posted:

Agreed, you don't get any meaningful savings with ARM. Look at the sticker price on that yoga, over $800 :laffo:

Why opt for a crippled machine just to save $100 at best? May as well get a Chromebook. Please let ARM based windows die, Microsoft...
I really don't understand why Microsoft is pushing for this again now. By all accounts the performance is terrible (at least for emulated x86 code).

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

mystes posted:

I really don't understand why Microsoft is pushing for this again now. By all accounts the performance is terrible (at least for emulated x86 code).

Yeah it's a horrible mess. Please, please don't buy an ARM device for Windows, it's a stupid idea, badly executed. It's not feasible for ARM to take over x86 in the laptop space in the foreseeable future. Intel isn't going to go out of business in 5 years, and even if they do that doesn't mean that the entire x86 architecture would wink out of existence. AMD exists.

Plus, frankly, y'all are vastly underestimating both the value of the x86 software legacy and the expense and difficulty of porting literally every piece of software you use on your computer to a whole other architecture with a whole other instruction set. Just because ARM is a popular compile target doesn't mean you can just make your existing x86 source for it without a whole lot of expensive debugging and QC. And it's irrelevant anyway because nobody's even making ARM hardware with actual computers in mind. Yes, you can technically bodge a snapdragon into a laptop form factor, but that isn't what it's designed for or good at.

Look, RISC is great. RISC-V is really great, and if you're going to support a mythical replacement for x86, it should be that and not ARM. We would all be better off with RISC computers. Hell, I was desperately hoping the Amiga would end up on top back in the day. Betamax was a shitload better than VHS, too. Sometimes the better product just doesn't win.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Would someone be willing to make recommendations for a 13-14" laptop that can do the following:
- decent graphics that works under linux and windows for light gaming (cities skylines, the sims, etc)
- good keyboard for coding
- matte screen

XPS 13? Latitude 14?

I've been on Mac for like 7 years now. I'm kinda thinking I want to try linux as a daily driver, but not really sure. Battery life and crap drivers were big problems years ago, not sure if that has improved any.

Chemical Shift
Aug 17, 2008

Fallom posted:

How do people like the new X1 Carbon that Costco is selling? I'm really tempted to sell my XPS 15 and replace it.

I got the one from Costco, and I absolutely love it. Like I said earlier, low bar for me since I was using a really old Thinkpad, but it's excellent. I like the screen a lot, the trackpad is smooth and responsive and gestures work wonderfully, and the keyboard is fantastic. If you have any specific questions I'm happy to answer them or test things out for you.

It depends on your usecase, I decided I wouldn't be gaming enough on my laptop to need something beyond the integrated graphics, and the processor ramps up nicely anytime I do calculations in MATLAB or Python. I work in auditory science, so I do a lot of flavors of time series processing stuff, like FFTs, Hilbert transforms and the like. It's super fast for that stuff. It's a great laptop for me, it fits what I wanted (light, thin, bigger screen than my previous 12.5 inch 1366x768 disaster), so I'm really happy.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Would someone be willing to make recommendations for a 13-14" laptop that can do the following:
- decent graphics that works under linux and windows for light gaming (cities skylines, the sims, etc)
- matte screen

XPS 13? Latitude 14?

I've been on Mac for like 7 years now. I'm kinda thinking I want to try linux as a daily driver, but not really sure. Battery life and crap drivers were big problems years ago, not sure if that has improved any.

If you want to do gaming then it makes sense to go with a larger 15" laptop.

13" laptops tend to have integrated graphics or lower end MX150 GPU at best.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
This is purely anacdotal, but the Iris 610 on the XPS 13 I bought a few days ago runs WoW surprisingly decently at medium settings and with the resolution @ 720p.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Looks like Lenovo is planning to release a 15" X1 carbon this fall

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3301291/laptop-computers/lenovo-thinkpad-x1-extreme-price-specs-features.html

quote:

Lenovo’s ThinkPad X1 Extreme has a mission: to kill the MacBook Pro 15. I’m not just saying that to manufacture drama, either. A Lenovo representative straight-out told me, “this is our MacBook Pro killer,” during our briefing on the product.

I could say, “crummy MacBook butterfly keyboard vs. legendary ThinkPad keyboard? No contest. End of story.” But the struggle is real: Even though the latest MacBook Pro 15 suffered some performance issues before Apple found a fix, the brand still carries some cachet with corporate users. Heck, it’s still what I see most often on my fellow commuters’ laps as I take the train to work.

To face down this formidable foe, Lenovo has stretched its new, top-of-the-line ThinkPad X1 Extreme to accommodate a 15-inch display (14 inches had been the maximum before). It’s even added discrete Nvidia graphics for the first time. Announced Thursday night at IFA in Berlin, Germany, the ThinkPad X1 Extreme will ship in September with a starting price of $1,860.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My only complaint is that the name sucks. Then again, it look a long time for me to accept "Macbook Pro" instead of Powerbook.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It has Extreme features like a keyboard that actually works.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/ThinkPad-X1-Extreme/p/22TP2TXX1E1

etalian fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 31, 2018

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

- matte screen

XPS 13? Latitude 14?

Battery life is still a problem, and now there are other problems like monitor scaling for hiDPI displays being limited to increments of 100%. Small screens like the XPS 13 mean that everything is too small or waaaay too big when scaled up. The XPS 15 is more usable display-wise, but I had fan control issues that made me go back to Windows in an hour or two. Also, if you get something with a discrete nvidia graphics card for gaming, it will break the Linux boot/installer and you'll have to find a workaround.

Check out the Arch wiki for compatibility issues for whatever models you're interested in. I've been trying to find a modern Linux laptop for years that doesn't suck, and I have failed so far. I've mostly given up and just use an old Thinkpad for Linux stuff.

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 31, 2018

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

etalian posted:

If you want to do gaming then it makes sense to go with a larger 15" laptop.

13" laptops tend to have integrated graphics or lower end MX150 GPU at best.

For the games they listed an MX150 is perfect, there's zero reason they need a 15" if they prefer smaller/lighter.

Idk poo poo about Linux, but the poster above me seems to know what's up and their Thinkpad recommendation also fits the good keyboard and matte screen requirements. But if My Rhythmic Crotch wants to play games on the internal screen they probably should avoid the garbo displays on the older Thinkpads. I don't know at which specific generation the screens got acceptable.

How about a B&N discounted T480 with the MX150 add-on?

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 31, 2018

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

The month of hell is almost over. I just hope after all this wait there isn't any hardware issues with this unit. When I put that order in I still wasn't sure if I was ready to give up on Macbooks, but I've been using a dualboot burner Thinkpad exclusively in the meantime and I've only gotten more sure about it.

If it's any consolation to the ghost of Steve Jobs, it'll still be a cold day in hell before I switch back to android from iPhones.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

A thinkpad version equivalent to the Dell XPS 15 or macbook pro

:elongate:

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

AgentCow007 posted:

Battery life is still a problem, and now there are other problems like monitor scaling for hiDPI displays being limited to increments of 100%. Small screens like the XPS 13 mean that everything is too small or waaaay too big when scaled up. The XPS 15 is more usable display-wise, but I had fan control issues that made me go back to Windows in an hour or two. Also, if you get something with a discrete nvidia graphics card for gaming, it will break the Linux boot/installer and you'll have to find a workaround.

Check out the Arch wiki for compatibility issues for whatever models you're interested in. I've been trying to find a modern Linux laptop for years that doesn't suck, and I have failed so far. I've mostly given up and just use an old Thinkpad for Linux stuff.
This is exactly what I was needing to hear, thank you. I hadn't even thought about the scaling problems!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
literally copy pasted from lenovo's website:

We’ve taken ThinkPad to the extreme!

they're the daddest possible company. this is their midlife crisis. next year we'll get the Thinkpad Extreme Ultimate Do The Dew(tm) Edition in neon green.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

they're the daddest possible company. this is their midlife crisis. next year we'll get the Thinkpad Extreme Ultimate Do The Dew(tm) Edition in neon green.

ThinkLegionX

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

At least they didn't put any massive logos on the back like a embarrassing gaming laptop.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

So i received my XPS 15 9370 today, and well, It's very disappointing. I am cheap and went with the hybrid drive so I could just upgrade to a full SSD myself, but it ended up being way worse than I imagined. For some reason the drive is running at 100% non-stop, making the computer a chore to use.

The trackpad has been godawful for the most part, but it may just be me. Im having trouble with it still registering that the mouse button is being held down. This is particularly painful using chrome and clicking a tab only to have it pop out of the window because it thinks I am holding it down. I will probably play with it over the long weekend to see if there are any fixes / adjust to the trackpad but at this point I am going to return it.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

etalian posted:

At least they didn't put any massive logos on the back like a embarrassing gaming laptop.

Yeah, their marketing copy (and I guess the name) might be a bit dad-ish, but its soooo much better looking and probably feeling than any of the actual GAMER laptops out there

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Kanish posted:

So i received my XPS 15 9370 today, and well, It's very disappointing. I am cheap and went with the hybrid drive so I could just upgrade to a full SSD myself, but it ended up being way worse than I imagined. For some reason the drive is running at 100% non-stop, making the computer a chore to use.

The trackpad has been godawful for the most part, but it may just be me. Im having trouble with it still registering that the mouse button is being held down. This is particularly painful using chrome and clicking a tab only to have it pop out of the window because it thinks I am holding it down. I will probably play with it over the long weekend to see if there are any fixes / adjust to the trackpad but at this point I am going to return it.

You can figure out what's causing high disk usage by opening Resource Monitor (just type it in start menu) and clicking the "disk" tab. Could it be a Windows update or something? On a new machine, that'd be my first guess.

As for the trackpad, I'm honestly surprised we've had 2 reports in as many days about XPS 13/15 trackpads being bad as they're widely considered the best Windows trackpad experience to be had.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I saw a lot of those complaints when I was researching, it seems like they're kind of inconsistent. That and the battery swelling issue were what put me off.

Also maybe I'm biased but I tried one at Best Buy and it didn't feel any better or worse than the ones on my Thinkpads, what's supposed to be so fancy about it?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I asked a little earlier about a replacement for my MacBook since the battery is toast, and I want to offload it while it still gets decent value from Apple for a trade in.

I'm going to go with a T-series Thinkpad and throw Linux on it immediately. I'm just trying to debate how old I can/should go. This is going to be used for basic computing use, and I do some CS classes for work right now. No heavy computational or content creation work. Some VM use. Display quality is important to me, and it is absolutely critical that it is home-repairable; I know Thinkpads are extremely durable and serviceable, but if some major changes have been made in recent models that hinder this, it could affect my decision.

A B&N discount T480S would run me $1100 optioned the way I want it (1440p display, base i5, 16GB RAM, base SSD - I already have a replacement here - and backlit keyboard). I don't see a T470S being worth the cost - even used ones still push $1000, and they only have 4GB of RAM soldered on. Seems like it'd be worth the cost to just get a T480s and get the extra RAM and CPU cores. A T460S/T450S starts to drive the cost down a bit; a T450S I can get for south of $500, but again there is only 4GB of RAM soldered on, and the highest display option available is a 1080p - which I've heard is junk by IPS display standards. Same story with the T460s, except the cost is starting to get higher, especially with the 1440p display option. I'm not sure how well the fifth and six generation intel CPUs have aged either?

I've thought about a non-S T series, but I am pretty sensitive to build quality after using macs for several years. I know around the T450-ish era that the S models were a good bit nicer, is this still true?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Gonna hold out for the cherry cough syrup flavored gamer fuel edition :colbert:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Chemical Shift posted:

I got the one from Costco, and I absolutely love it. Like I said earlier, low bar for me since I was using a really old Thinkpad, but it's excellent. I like the screen a lot, the trackpad is smooth and responsive and gestures work wonderfully, and the keyboard is fantastic. If you have any specific questions I'm happy to answer them or test things out for you.

It depends on your usecase, I decided I wouldn't be gaming enough on my laptop to need something beyond the integrated graphics, and the processor ramps up nicely anytime I do calculations in MATLAB or Python. I work in auditory science, so I do a lot of flavors of time series processing stuff, like FFTs, Hilbert transforms and the like. It's super fast for that stuff. It's a great laptop for me, it fits what I wanted (light, thin, bigger screen than my previous 12.5 inch 1366x768 disaster), so I'm really happy.

How's the ghosting? It's one of the things that bothers me the most about my 4k XPS 15. I do like to do a little gaming on it when I travel but simple graphics end up smearing so much it's a major distraction. Scrolling through websites looks pretty poor, as well.

It might not be as noticeable in your use case, though.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

IuniusBrutus posted:

I asked a little earlier about a replacement for my MacBook since the battery is toast, and I want to offload it while it still gets decent value from Apple for a trade in.

I'm going to go with a T-series Thinkpad and throw Linux on it immediately. I'm just trying to debate how old I can/should go. This is going to be used for basic computing use, and I do some CS classes for work right now. No heavy computational or content creation work. Some VM use. Display quality is important to me, and it is absolutely critical that it is home-repairable; I know Thinkpads are extremely durable and serviceable, but if some major changes have been made in recent models that hinder this, it could affect my decision.

A B&N discount T480S would run me $1100 optioned the way I want it (1440p display, base i5, 16GB RAM, base SSD - I already have a replacement here - and backlit keyboard). I don't see a T470S being worth the cost - even used ones still push $1000, and they only have 4GB of RAM soldered on. Seems like it'd be worth the cost to just get a T480s and get the extra RAM and CPU cores. A T460S/T450S starts to drive the cost down a bit; a T450S I can get for south of $500, but again there is only 4GB of RAM soldered on, and the highest display option available is a 1080p - which I've heard is junk by IPS display standards. Same story with the T460s, except the cost is starting to get higher, especially with the 1440p display option. I'm not sure how well the fifth and six generation intel CPUs have aged either?

I've thought about a non-S T series, but I am pretty sensitive to build quality after using macs for several years. I know around the T450-ish era that the S models were a good bit nicer, is this still true?

Keep in mind with Linux, your scaling options are only 100% or 200%. 1080p on my 15.6" laptop is a little smaller than I'd like, but passable. 1440p on a 14" display is going to be pretty tiny. Most screen reviews you're going to read are people who use Windows 10 which automatically scales in 25% increments to match the DPI of the screen.

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 1, 2018

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

AgentCow007 posted:

Keep in mind with Linux, your scaling options are only 100% or 200%. 1080p on my 15.6" laptop is a little smaller than I'd like, but passable. 1440p on a 14" display is going to be pretty tiny. Most screen reviews you're going to read are people who use Windows 10 which automatically scales in 25% increments to match the DPI of the screen.

200% is the default Windows recommends for 14" 1440p anyway. I went back to it after playing with 25% above and below. He/she will be alright

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 1, 2018

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

gently caress you for making me realize there was a backlit keyboard option for the T480s that I didn't take. This machine is FOMO trash now

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I’d be curious as to what an intel “guts” costs for a laptop vs arm. $100 less? Who cares in that case.

I’d also like to know how well an arm version of photoshop, excel, etc would run

As far as power goes....10 hours is enough runtime for most users. Which intel can do now.

I've always wondered what OEMs pay for their CPUs, because Intel's suggested prices are pretty ridiculous; I mean, almost $300 for an i3? That ULV CPU isn't available at retail but the desktop 8300 is on Newegg at Intel's RRP, so maybe the mobile CPUs really are that expensive? :shrug: I'd believe that building an ARM laptop offers a significant cost savings over any respectable (i.e. Core-based) Intel build (since the low-end, cheap Atom/Pentium/whatever stuff is both lower performance and much lower battery life than ARM.)

Also, on the subject of battery life I had a thought: who the hell would actually need a 25-hour laptop battery? Someone who's glamping, but not near any power source? A workday's worth of life (plus a buffer to compensate for age-related decay) should be more than enough.

Kanish posted:

Kudos to going with the cheap base option on easily-upgradeable components, but oof, I can't imagine going back to anything other than a full SSD for a system drive. I commented here (I'm pretty sure it was this thread at least) where I outlined my thought process on an upgrade to an older laptop, and while an SSHD was an option I just had to go with a lower-capacity SSD since the performance difference was too great.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Unsinkabear posted:

gently caress you for making me realize there was a backlit keyboard option for the T480s that I didn't take. This machine is FOMO trash now

i myselff would not buy a machine without a backlit keyboard in 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Atomizer posted:

on the subject of battery life I had a thought: who the hell would actually need a 25-hour laptop battery?

25 hours tested/advertised translates to about 10 hours real world, so I could totally see that.

My laptop is advertised to have I think 12, gets 8.5 according to Notebookcheck, and I killed it with a 6 hour meeting today where it had to do nothing but videoconference and take notes in a Google doc

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 1, 2018