Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

guts and bolts posted:

If you throw links I'll add them to the sheet, I just don't presently have time to dig through the thread. Incidentally is there a Goon Wangs Discord or something

There's a general wangs discord, but I think it's mostly redditors and others who participate in the reddit vassal leagues and whatnot. I think the link is probably over at reddit.com/r/xwingtmg, I'm not sure I should I post it here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Finster Dexter posted:

There's a general wangs discord, but I think it's mostly redditors and others who participate in the reddit vassal leagues and whatnot. I think the link is probably over at reddit.com/r/xwingtmg, I'm not sure I should I post it here

Oh then yeah I'm out, that sounds a little extra for my taste.

Let me also say: I don't like how Supernatural and Vader work with regards to the new rules for dialing in red maneuvers. Vader can dial in a k-turn or t-roll or whatever, decide he doesn't like it anymore after seeing how everyone else moves, then Supernatural a linked action to gain the stress and go 2 straight instead. That's... lame? I'm not sure how supremely applicable it is, but it's just lame. I also just don't really like Supernatural Reflexes on Initiative 6 in general - I5 it feels very strong but still fair and vulnerable to countering. At I6 it's just straight up oppressive. I think Supernatural Reflexes will pay the price and get an increase, but I think the actual problem is Vader and not the upgrade. I wouldn't be surprised if both got increases in cost, but I think Supernatural is more likely to get hit with a points nerf.

I'm also trying to get the Decimator into a list but I'm not having much success. Bowtie large bases just feel way overcosted atm. I'd expect the Decimator and the Rebel Falcon to get a slight points buff and become cheaper, making them slot into 3-ship lists much easier - you could do a good bowtie pilot, an ace, and a third ship without it feeling horrible.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

guts and bolts posted:

Vader can dial in a k-turn or t-roll or whatever, decide he doesn't like it anymore after seeing how everyone else moves, then Supernatural a linked action to gain the stress and go 2 straight instead. That's... lame?

He'd have to Supernatural a Boost and then use his ability to do a Focus -> Barrel Roll to pull that off.

Which he can obviously do, but spending 2 Force to change his maneuver to 2 Straight and getting stressed is probably fine?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Some Numbers posted:

He'd have to Supernatural a Boost and then use his ability to do a Focus -> Barrel Roll to pull that off.

Which he can obviously do, but spending 2 Force to change his maneuver to 2 Straight and getting stressed is probably fine?

And take a damage to do it since he doesn’t have boost on his action bar.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Oh yeah, good call!

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Some Numbers posted:

It's like I said - it's less that it's very applicable, and more that I just don't like how that specific interaction with the rules functions. It feels gimmicky now, but hopefully down the line there aren't ships that can kinda willfully game the system and decide post-Planning to just... not do their maneuver anymore -- without paying for it or having some relevant pilot ability, I mean.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I just played my first game of X-Wing this week, and will probably buy the core set when 2.0 comes out. 1.0 ships are cheap now, but I don't think I can commit to getting a conversion pack for the 2-3 ships I'd be getting.

I'm not hugely interested in any of the named characters, I just want basic X/Y/A/B wings. With the vast proliferation of named characters with 100's of special power, is that actually possible to still win a game without them? I know the X-wings got boosted a bit.

What would be a 2.0 squadron for X/Y/A/B be made of?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

guts and bolts posted:

It's like I said - it's less that it's very applicable, and more that I just don't like how that specific interaction with the rules functions. It feels gimmicky now, but hopefully down the line there aren't ships that can kinda willfully game the system and decide post-Planning to just... not do their maneuver anymore -- without paying for it or having some relevant pilot ability, I mean.

'without paying for it' apparently means 'paying two force a stress, having a relevant pilot ability (i.e. the ability to even do it at all) and 12 extra loving points for it'.

Who knew?

Comstar posted:

I just played my first game of X-Wing this week, and will probably buy the core set when 2.0 comes out. 1.0 ships are cheap now, but I don't think I can commit to getting a conversion pack for the 2-3 ships I'd be getting.

I'm not hugely interested in any of the named characters, I just want basic X/Y/A/B wings. With the vast proliferation of named characters with 100's of special power, is that actually possible to still win a game without them? I know the X-wings got boosted a bit.

What would be a 2.0 squadron for X/Y/A/B be made of?

You;d probably want to see if you can fit in a fifth ship somehow, but it should be reasonably balanced with those four - the devs have shoved the meta HARD in the direction of 'more ships, movie ships' with the new edition. If you put in two A Wings you leave yourself 25 points of space for upgrades which is pretty solid. Or two B Wings gets you more ship and more gun with less agility.

But I don't think you'd want to just bring the four, that's a LOOOOOOT of points in pilot abilities and upgrades which is not really the direction the game is going I don't think.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Aug 31, 2018

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I can create a Xwing channel in the goon boardgaming discord if you guys want.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Tekopo posted:

I can create a Xwing channel in the goon boardgaming discord if you guys want.

Might as well.

If it dies, it dies.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Might as well.

If it dies, it dies.
Invite for the boardgaming discord

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

My wife's favorite ship is the Ghost, so I'm trying to put together something decent for it under 2.0 Any thoughts?

Kanan Jarrus (90)
Veteran Turret Gunner (8)
Saw Gerrera (8)
Dorsal Turret (4)
Ghost (0)

AP-5 (30)

Kyle Katarn (38)
Jyn Erso (2)
Moldy Crow (12)

Total: 192

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

This is pretty much a Fortress Ghost list, since the other two ships are there to bolster it, with the HWK able to take shots when it can. Happy to entertain better ideas.

edit: Now that I'm reading a little closer, I guess I don't understand AP-5's ability. Isn't allowing another ship to perform an action the entire point of coordinate? Does that ability limit it to ONLY ships with one stress?

Funzo fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 31, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Funzo posted:

edit: Now that I'm reading a little closer, I guess I don't understand AP-5's ability. Isn't allowing another ship to perform an action the entire point of coordinate? Does that ability limit it to ONLY ships with one stress?

Coordinate lets a ship take an action.

However, ships can't take actions if they're stressed, unless something says otherwise. AP-5 is one of those things that says otherwise, as long as they have only one stress.

As for the rest of the list, seems fine? You get two shots out of the ghost per round, the HWK is surprisingly dangerous with that 3-die primary, and you'll have lots of mods. Seems decent. Not groundbreaking, but not bad!

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

ConfusedUs posted:

Coordinate lets a ship take an action.

However, ships can't take actions if they're stressed, unless something says otherwise. AP-5 is one of those things that says otherwise, as long as they have only one stress.

As for the rest of the list, seems fine? You get two shots out of the ghost per round, the HWK is surprisingly dangerous with that 3-die primary, and you'll have lots of mods. Seems decent. Not groundbreaking, but not bad!

I forgot all about not taking actions when stressed, thanks!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Does anyone know how many cards come in the conversion kits? I'm gonna sleeve everything, but want to know how many sleeves I should buy.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

ConfusedUs posted:

Does anyone know how many cards come in the conversion kits? I'm gonna sleeve everything, but want to know how many sleeves I should buy.

You'll have to do some counting, but:
http://xwing-miniatures-second-edition.wikia.com/wiki/Rebel_Alliance_Conversion_Kit
http://xwing-miniatures-second-edition.wikia.com/wiki/Galactic_Empire_Conversion_Kit
http://xwing-miniatures-second-edition.wikia.com/wiki/Scum_and_Villainy_Conversion_Kit

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thanks!

Quick look says it's ~100 pilot cards and ~150 upgrade cards per conversion kit.

There's a bit of variance between the factions, but it's close enough to ballpark.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Thanks!

Quick look says it's ~100 pilot cards and ~150 upgrade cards per conversion kit.

There's a bit of variance between the factions, but it's close enough to ballpark.

NB all the cards in 2e are the same size; you'll only need small sleeves for the damage deck.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thespaceinvader posted:

NB all the cards in 2e are the same size; you'll only need small sleeves for the damage deck.

I plan on color-coding the pilots by faction and upgrade cards by type (although I'll probably make all secondary weapons like turrets/missiles/etc one color)

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

thespaceinvader posted:

'without paying for it' apparently means 'paying two force a stress, having a relevant pilot ability (i.e. the ability to even do it at all) and 12 extra loving points for it'.

Who knew?

That... isn't what I was talking about when I said "without paying for it." I meant that because of how the rules work now, if they ever design a pilot who can stress pre-maneuver, you create a scenario in which you can decide that you'd rather 2 straight after all and gently caress that k-turn noise. In this specific case (Vader), which I specifically said probably isn't very viable, it doesn't, like, ~ruin the game~ or whatever. It's just a lame way for the rules to function.

ConfusedUs posted:

I plan on color-coding the pilots by faction and upgrade cards by type (although I'll probably make all secondary weapons like turrets/missiles/etc one color)

I bought a bunch of color-coded Dex binders - at least I think the brand is Dex? Something. They're neat. They're... I think 160 sleeves per book? And they comfortable fit all of the Empire-specific stuff (including Ruthless, Crew, Gunners, Configurations), all the Rebel-specific stuff, and all the universally applicable stuff. 150 sleeves should cover any single conversion kit, I'd think.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It's pretty much a necessity at this point for there to a: be a mechanic for punishing red-when-stressed, and b: for it not to be TOO punishing.

Because imposing stress before the enemy moves is possible (RIgged Chute still exists at the very least), and making the mechanic heavily punishing is therefore overkill, because it makes it too easy for that one upgrade to just ruin turns and it's already quite a negative experience when deployed at the opportune moment.

And given those two precepts, (heck, given ANY mechanic existing for punishing red-when-stress) and given ANY means of doing stuff before you move, or even picking reds when stressed on purpose, there will always be potential exploits.

It's not really avoidable.

But if they were ever to produce a pilot whose ability specifically involves pre-move actions, I'd hope they might give her a dial/action bar that precludes pre-move stress for this reason.

But I don't get the problem at its core. It's a rule of the game. It's not like it's a glitch that you only know about through arcane understanding and pixel-perfect jumping, it's written right into the rules.

ConfusedUs posted:

Just bear in mind some of them are double sided.

Though, the need to see the card back to easily identify the upgrade type is gone now, which is nice.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thespaceinvader posted:

It's pretty much a necessity at this point for there to a: be a mechanic for punishing red-when-stressed, and b: for it not to be TOO punishing.

Because imposing stress before the enemy moves is possible (RIgged Chute still exists at the very least), and making the mechanic heavily punishing is therefore overkill, because it makes it too easy for that one upgrade to just ruin turns and it's already quite a negative experience when deployed at the opportune moment.

And given those two precepts, (heck, given ANY mechanic existing for punishing red-when-stress) and given ANY means of doing stuff before you move, or even picking reds when stressed on purpose, there will always be potential exploits.

It's not really avoidable.

But if they were ever to produce a pilot whose ability specifically involves pre-move actions, I'd hope they might give her a dial/action bar that precludes pre-move stress for this reason.

But I don't get the problem at its core. It's a rule of the game. It's not like it's a glitch that you only know about through arcane understanding and pixel-perfect jumping, it's written right into the rules.

It also worked this way in first edition, for the same reasons. Any ship with access to both PTL and Advanced Sensors could do it to themselves, and there was the rigged cargo chute thing too. Plus anything that dealt damage before a ship moved could give you the stress crit.

thespaceinvader posted:

Just bear in mind some of them are double sided.

Though, the need to see the card back to easily identify the upgrade type is gone now, which is nice.

Yeah, but I got enough clear cards leftover for the double-sided ones.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

To me it always seemed like the best solution to that should've been to either give that ship two stress tokens or give them a perma-stress (eg, place a stress token on the ship's base for the remainder of the game). Yeah, that can still be exploited but it at least makes some sense.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

TremorX posted:

To me it always seemed like the best solution to that should've been to either give that ship two stress tokens or give them a perma-stress (eg, place a stress token on the ship's base for the remainder of the game). Yeah, that can still be exploited but it at least makes some sense.

Given that you can get stress after planning but before activation, through no fault of your own, punishing it is kind of repressive.

Also added link to the GoonLists sheet and the X-Wing discord to the OP.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
As someone who has flown Torani at PS 10 in probably drat near 100 games, I think people are really overestimating how often they are going to have a ship in their bullseye arc.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Raged posted:

As someone who has flown Torani at PS 10 in probably drat near 100 games, I think people are really overestimating how often they are going to have a ship in their bullseye arc.

I don't have nearly your experience with the Kimogila, but I feel like I have a much harder time getting bullseyes with it than with almost anything else.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Raged posted:

It really depends a lot on base size. Bullseey stuff will punish large (and probably eventually huge) bases a LOT more than small and medium bases.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Raged posted:

Depends on the ships and players involved. As mentioned, getting a shuttle or Decimator in bullseye is easy; some jousters also make it easy; some ships like Soontir might get it more often owing to repositioning and better dials. But I largely agree with your point - lots of list have lots of specific stuff like bullseye Talents that are harder to make work than people might realize. Sometimes it's worth, sometimes not.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Has anyone been watching the Nationals stream at Nova? Is there anything interesting being played or just nonstop double reaper ace?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2135406746471568&id=1144146778930908

XWing Second Edition: 2077

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lol

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Turns out a lot of people wanted to get one more 1.0 tournament in, including the winner of the Yavin Open from last year who happened to be in the country. All of the jank was on show, but I had fun getting my ships blown up.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Someone talk me out of this

Omicron Group Pilot (43)
Admiral Sloane (10)
Ciena Ree (10)

4x PS1 Striker or Interceptor

Total: 199

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Barrage rocket bombers are more efficient for their points.

But less fun to fly.

You do you.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Barrage rocket bombers are more efficient for their points.

But less fun to fly.

You do you.

Less nimble and gets less value out of Ciena Ree.

But definitely beefier. It's certainly an idea.

(Goddamn, 2.0 Bombers are cheap as hell)

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Some Numbers posted:

Less nimble and gets less value out of Ciena Ree.

But definitely beefier. It's certainly an idea.

(Goddamn, 2.0 Bombers are cheap as hell)

I would not be surprised if they are the first thing to have a point increase. Heck I would not be surprised if the point value is changed when the app comes out.

It's the main reason I have a bunch of imp lists that do not involve bombers.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

I would not be surprised if they are the first thing to have a point increase. Heck I would not be surprised if the point value is changed when the app comes out.

It's the main reason I have a bunch of imp lists that do not involve bombers.

I agree. Either they should cost more, or a whole lot of things need to cost less.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Flew two lists today!

https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galact...Sai%20Aces&obs=

God I love this list. I don't think I quite have all the correct upgrades in all the correct places, but it's solid as hell as an archetype. Vader crew is amazing and makes the shuttle into something the other guy simply cannot ignore. Which is great, because you want it to take most of the early fire.

https://raithos.github.io/?f=Scum%2...BobaDengar&obs=

The JM5k really took a beating from the nerf bat, but Dengar just DGAF about that. He's still a 3-die double tap out the front. That extra attack is exactly what a list like this needs.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

ConfusedUs posted:

Flew two lists today!

https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galact...Sai%20Aces&obs=

God I love this list. I don't think I quite have all the correct upgrades in all the correct places, but it's solid as hell as an archetype. Vader crew is amazing and makes the shuttle into something the other guy simply cannot ignore. Which is great, because you want it to take most of the early fire.

https://raithos.github.io/?f=Scum%2...BobaDengar&obs=

The JM5k really took a beating from the nerf bat, but Dengar just DGAF about that. He's still a 3-die double tap out the front. That extra attack is exactly what a list like this needs.

Our Whisper/Fel/Sai lists are superficially similar but probably play fairly differently, so that's neat

Tomorrow night I'm gonna fly Whisper/Fel/Sai, Super Luke and Pals, and two TIE/Ds with one being Ryad with Advanced Sensors and Daredevil, which is very hilarious

I also can't really think of how best to apply the Decimator. Oicunn with title and Intimidation maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

What's with the names? Soontir Fel Hates Dee Yun?