Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

RCarr posted:

0.5 ppr - standard scoring

I need to drop 4 guys for a D/ST, Kicker, Defensive Player, and Defensive Back.

I have someone looking to trade me a pick next year for Powell and White. DeVante Parker is an easy cut. That's three. Rivers seems like the obvious last cut, but I'm just worried about Ben's home and away splits.

Thoughts?

Rivers is the right cut. Like you, I also picked up a QB2 (Garoppolo) after drafting Ben but it’s more in anticipation of his earlyish bye (7). Prior to that, he’s only away against CLE, TB, and CIN. CLE out of those gives me the most pause but not enough to swap him out Week 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Huge_Midget posted:

Kenny Golladay vs NYJ

Don’t forget to post matchups.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Suave Fedora posted:

Rivers is the right cut. Like you, I also picked up a QB2 (Garoppolo) after drafting Ben but it’s more in anticipation of his earlyish bye (7). Prior to that, he’s only away against CLE, TB, and CIN. CLE out of those gives me the most pause but not enough to swap him out Week 1.

Cool, thanks for confirming :)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

RCarr posted:

0.5 ppr - standard scoring

I need to drop 4 guys for a D/ST, Kicker, Defensive Player, and Defensive Back.

I have someone looking to trade me a pick next year for Powell and White. DeVante Parker is an easy cut. That's three. Rivers seems like the obvious last cut, but I'm just worried about Ben's home and away splits.

Thoughts?

Update: I actually only need to drop 3 players!

So considering my team, should I keep Rivers? Or is Powell more valuable to me?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

RCarr posted:

I'd still drop Rivers. While Powell is in a timeshare with Crowell, he's the better pass-catcher so in .5PPR he has more value. And there is always the chance that he overtakes Crowell all-together. Big Ben and Rivers are on the same tier to me, so I'd just keep one of the two. It's a coin-flip for me.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Hello, SA Fantasy Football thread - I started off my second year as commish by having to kick a guy out of the league for having a meltdown an hour after the draft.

Essentially, there's two parties to the story:
Guy A - long-time league member, known for negotiating long and complicated trades often involving 6 or more players, sometimes involving multiple fantasy teams.
Guy B - plays in multiple big-money leagues, doesn't really care about our $25 league, often good for silly trades, huge Cowboys fan and known to overpay for Cowboys players.

Guy A drafts Zeke early on, and Guy B indicates he'd like to trade. Normally, I would take this to mean "after the draft", but these two begin discussing trade details i the draft chat window while the draft is happening. That alone isn't bad, and I allowed it to happen but I wasn't paying attention to the details of what they were saying because I was, y'know, drafting. A few people in chat said it was likely to be voted down, but I decided to deal with it later.

Immediately after the draft - we get a confirmation that this trade has been accepted:

As you can imagine, this was met with a lot of resistance, both because the trade was so obviously lopsided and because it essentially breaks the league. As more people stepped up to argue against it, Guy A keeps screaming that there was plenty of time to argue it while the discussion was happening (when we were all drafting) even though two people did caution against it then. League members posited alternatives, like straight Brown-for-Zeke or even a Brown-plus-one-weaker-player-for-Zeke that would be still kinda dumb, but not game-breaking. Guy A refuses and yells at us all for persecuting him, insists that this would basically be like completely changing his mind in the first round, and this is not how any league would work, using analogies to actual sports teams. Eventually it becomes clear that he based his entire draft strategy on assuming this trade would happen, the trade he created in the margins as the draft was happening, and now his team is dogshit because of it. This argument went on for nearly 40 minutes.

When the trade was eventually voted down (four people required, I did not vote), Guy a loses his poo poo and rage-quits. He has a MELTDOWN and drops ALL OF HIS TEAM to the waiver wire (minus Zeke), leaving me to pick up the pieces and put his entire team back together one-by-one. I took over control of his team and deleted him from the league, and refunded him his dues. As I removed him from chat, he screamed at all of us for treating him like a criminal and asking if he was drunk.As far as I know, he spent the rest of the night sending passive-aggressive texts to other league members.

So, I'm gonna go ahead and file a new league rule under "I Can't Believe We Have To Have A loving Rule For This":From now on, no planning trades until after the draft is completed.

A very fun hobby we have.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

pubic works project posted:

I'd still drop Rivers. While Powell is in a timeshare with Crowell, he's the better pass-catcher so in .5PPR he has more value. And there is always the chance that he overtakes Crowell all-together. Big Ben and Rivers are on the same tier to me, so I'd just keep one of the two. It's a coin-flip for me.
I agree with this assessment of Powell but I would still be wary of dropping Rivers when his week 1 matchup is KC at home. That defense is a shell of its former self and Rivers is a strong QB1 play to start the season.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Vargo posted:

Hello, SA Fantasy Football thread - I started off my second year as commish by having to kick a guy out of the league for having a meltdown an hour after the draft.

Guy A - long-time league member, known for negotiating long and complicated trades often involving 6 or more players, sometimes involving multiple fantasy teams.
Guy B - plays in multiple big-money leagues, doesn't really care about our $25 league, often good for silly trades, huge Cowboys fan and known to overpay for Cowboys players.

Guy A drafts Zeke early on, and Guy B indicates he'd like to trade. Normally, I would take this to mean "after the draft", but these two begin discussing trade details i the draft chat window while the draft is happening. That alone isn't bad, and I allowed it to happen but I wasn't paying attention to the details of what they were saying because I was, y'know, drafting. A few people in chat said it was likely to be voted down, but I decided to deal with it later.

Immediately after the draft - we get a confirmation that this trade has been accepted:

As you can imagine, this was met with a lot of resistance, both because the trade was so obviously lopsided and because it essentially breaks the league. As more people stepped up to argue against it, Guy A keeps screaming that there was plenty of time to argue it while the discussion was happening (when we were all drafting) even though two people did caution against it then. League members posited alternatives, like straight Brown-for-Zeke or even a Brown-plus-one-weaker-player-for-Zeke that would be still kinda dumb, but not game-breaking. Guy A refuses and yells at us all for persecuting him, insists that this would basically be like completely changing his mind in the first round, and this is not how any league would work, using analogies to actual sports teams. Eventually it becomes clear that he based his entire draft strategy on assuming this trade would happen, the trade he created in the margins as the draft was happening, and now his team is dogshit because of it. This argument went on for nearly 40 minutes.

When the trade was eventually voted down (four people required, I did not vote), Guy a loses his poo poo and rage-quits. He has a MELTDOWN and drops ALL OF HIS TEAM to the waiver wire (minus Zeke), leaving me to pick up the pieces and put his entire team back together one-by-one. I took over control of his team and deleted him from the league, and refunded him his dues. As I removed him from chat, he screamed at all of us for treating him like a criminal and asking if he was drunk.As far as I know, he spent the rest of the night sending passive-aggressive texts to other league members.

So, I'm gonna go ahead and file a new league rule under "I Can't Believe We Have To Have A loving Rule For This":From now on, no planning trades until after the draft is completed.

Trade looks fine.

Having a league where only 4 votes is needed to veto a trade sucks and I don’t blame Guy A for getting mad.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It's a bad trade but if it ain't collusion it shouldnt be denied.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Vargo posted:

You should have let the trade stand. Bad trades happen all the time in fantasy and real life and shouldn’t be reversed because people don’t like a team getting better. The only legit reason to veto a trade is collusion, which this isn’t. It’s also not even THAT lopsided.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Alfalfa posted:

Trade looks fine.

Having a league where only 4 votes is needed to veto a trade sucks and I don’t blame Guy A for getting mad.

It's not a trade I'd make, but it's not crazy, much less league breaking.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Vargo posted:

This trade should not have been vetoed which means your league has at least five baby infant children in it (the meltdown guy + the 4 guys who vetoed it). Vetoes are dumb anyway and if you are going to veto something you better be prepared to replace the two owners who did it, because bad trades are not vetoable. Only collusion is vetoable, and that's an offense that should not be suffered.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Allright, well, maybe we're just weird then. Like I said, I didn't vote. In my opinion, that's getting Antonio Brown and Mike Evans together for Zeke, a 28th-ranked receiver, and a couple of guys who may not even get starter jobs.

EDIT: I think my league is extra-protective of bad trades because first-time players have gotten fleeced and turned off of the game before.

Vargo fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 31, 2018

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Vargo posted:

Allright, well, maybe we're just weird then. Like I said, I didn't vote. In my opinion, that's getting Antonio Brown and Mike Evans together for Zeke, a 28th-ranked receiver, and a couple of guys who may not even get starter jobs.

EDIT: I think my league is extra-protective of bad trades because first-time players have gotten fleeced and turned off of the game before.

My league used to do trade voting and it was an absolute killer on trades. Everything became this long winded "explain your trade" so I said gently caress it, no more voting and I'll just do my best to look out for collusion in deals myself.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Vargo posted:

1. Your league sucks. My condolences.
2. The rule change should be to not make trades vetoable on the basis of value, not to prevent trade discussion during a draft. Also just go ahead and remove trade voting - that's what a commissioner is for.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
The dude getting zeke and Aaron jones could easily win that trade, that’s a terrible call to veto it.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Vargo posted:

does that mean teams in different leagues because lol

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

mike- posted:

The dude getting zeke and Aaron jones could easily win that trade, that’s a terrible call to veto it.

One down on Zeke and the other down on Evans and it all makes a lot of sense. Being down on either isn't crazy. Sanders even has some low-key hype this year.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Definitely kick out screaming tantrum people though.

e. basically what I'm saying is he should have quit your terrible league with more maturity than he showed. It's embarrassing for him that he did not keep his cool while dumping your terrible trash league because they have vetoes and because they vetoed a trade and because that trade was negotiated right in front of them which is absolute proof it wasn't remotely collusion.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Guy A was right to be mad. Not even that bad a trade. Yeah, he wins, but not by that much.

Zeke and Brown are basically equal. The two kickers are kickers, so who cares. You are mad someone traded Emmanuel Sanders and Aaron Jones for Mike Evans. While Mike Evans is the best of the three, there are plenty of people who are high on with Jones and Sanders.

Calling it a league breaking trade is an overstatement.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yeah when you let league members vote to veto I feel like a lot of times they base their votes on, "Do I, personally, like this trade?" which definitely shouldn't be the criteria for whether two other people can do a trade they agreed to do. People might vote to veto just because they resent one of the teams making the trade. It should just be a commissioner-based decision where the commish only vetoes if he thinks the two guys are up to some bullshit.

I don't think making a new rule against agreeing to a trade in the draft room solves your problem. People are always going to be mad when a trade they worked to negotiate gets vetoed.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 31, 2018

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
My money league always had veto votes on, but we didn't use them. Commish would call both players involved and confirm they were happy with the trade, then push the trade through, eliminating that 2 day waiting period.

This year we had a big discussion pre-draft, because the new guy has a philosophy of "obviously and grossly unfair trades hurt the game". I gave him an example of trading Kareem Hunt for Alvin Kamara early last year as a trade that would seem lopsided at first, but time proves otherwise. We settled on 6 votes (out of 10 teams) required to veto. I'm not sweating it too much. I play with a good group that doesn't collude, and trades aren't super common anyways.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've never played in a league with veto votes, and I never will.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Vargo posted:

This doesn't seem all that meltdowny to me, sure dropping the team to waivers is a dick move but then so is vetoing perfectly reasonable trades so maybe some people in the league should be apologising to this guy, not shaking their heads about how he is Extremely Unreasonable

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Vargo posted:

As you can imagine, this was met with a lot of resistance, both because the trade was so obviously lopsided and because it essentially breaks the league.

Yeah, the trade isn't that bad. I mean, it's not even but it's not that lopsided or league breaking. You (for letting your league be dumb), and your dumb league are bad.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Sit/Start Thread

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

RCarr posted:

*whispers*

rivers' arm is done

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
I'm crossing my fingers and hoping Randall Cobb is a surprise cut before my drafts this weekend.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Second draft of the season. I had the 2nd pick. Yahoo, 10 teams, settings below the roster.

My buddy is offering me Aaron Jones for my Jordy. thoughts?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 31, 2018

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Lopsided, sure, but not to a league-destroying degree. There was no collusive efforts - for starters it was done in the presence of the entire league, so none of it was under the table, which is not the norm during trade negotiations.

You made a point about their relative motivations - that’s not relevant at all. Whatever motivations people have to play, trade or manage their teams and whether they take it “as” seriously as the others - that’s the risk you take for having different people participate in and keep your league alive.

You are right that it is a fun hobby, tho.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I would take the Zeke/Jones/Sanders side of that trade and not feel bad about it at all.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

It's been beat to death already but yeah, that trade shouldn't have been vetoed and I barely blame the guy for rage-quitting.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

My buddy is offering me Aaron Jones for my Jordy. thoughts?

No. You barely have a WR going into the season might as well hope Jordy does something.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Last snake draft. 12 man league, 0 PPR, No Flex, 24 moves a year (I know, I think it's dumb. My friend needed me to fill a spot last year and then I won and it's $100 entry, so whatever). David Johnson went loving 10th pick. Everything else was pretty much normal. I was gonna lose it if I was gonna get him at #12.

quote:

I used BeerSheets almost exclusively

QB: Russell Wilson
RB: Dalvin Cook
RB: LeSean McCoy
WR: DeAndre Hopkins
WR: Doug Baldwin
WR: Robby Anderson
TE: Jordan Reed
K/DEF:whocares

Bench:
Jay Ajayi
Mark Ingram
Julian Edelman
Latavius Murray
Vernon Davis
John Brown

I already dedicated myself to dropping somebody in Week 9 for a bye week QB, but whatever. Only thing I deviated from on the BeerSheets was Jordan Reed over Delanie Walker (cause I don't mind doing the injury dance with Vernon Davis, between the two of them they were a TE1 last year and Alex Smith LOVES tight ends) and Latavius incase Cook has a set back.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Also, you know we’re back when we start discussing trade vetoes.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

So this is fun. I tried to trick my other owners into spending high on Mahomes in our dynasty league initial draft. It's an auction. It's the most important draft we will ever have because it establishes our team and everything moving forward is rookies and free agents.

Well I tried to get cute and as soon as Mahomes came up I typed in $50 thinking some idiot (7 out of 10 owners are from KC) would bid one more dollar.

They didn't bite and guess who became the idiot. I got Mahomes for 50 goddam dollars and had to switch strategy significantly.

Well now that I've seen some preseason games this might be a happy accident as I've ranted and raved in the AFCW thread. The Chiefs defense is horrible and Mahomes looks great. He might have to pass for 400 yards a game just to keep up with teams which is exactly what happened at Texas Tech. This led to Mahomes passing for 734 yards and 5 touchdowns in one game. Just a little insider tip if you're taking a flier on a backup QB.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I'm currently trying to trade Jarvis Landry, Jordan Howard, or Melvin Gordon for peanuts to get cap relief in my dynasty startup before we have Draft #2 for the second half of the pool of players cause I'm just about out of money. Just had Landry for Robby Anderson declined.

Dynasty is fun you guys :pwn:

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

89 posted:

Last snake draft. 12 man league, 0 PPR, No Flex, 24 moves a year (I know, I think it's dumb. My friend needed me to fill a spot last year and then I won and it's $100 entry, so whatever). David Johnson went loving 10th pick. Everything else was pretty much normal. I was gonna lose it if I was gonna get him at #12.

I already dedicated myself to dropping somebody in Week 9 for a bye week QB, but whatever. Only thing I deviated from on the BeerSheets was Jordan Reed over Delanie Walker (cause I don't mind doing the injury dance with Vernon Davis, between the two of them they were a TE1 last year and Alex Smith LOVES tight ends) and Latavius incase Cook has a set back.

Why do that dance when you know Walker is a TE1 through and through?

VD was not a TE1 last year...

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Alfalfa posted:

Why do that dance when you know Walker is a TE1 through and through?

VD was not a TE1 last year...

You know, they say that all TE's are created equal after the Top 5 TEs, but you look at Jordan Reed and Delanie Walker and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you plug in Delanie Walker, you have a 50/50 chance of winning. But, Jordan Reed is a genetic freak, and he's not normal. So, Walker has 25% AT BEST, at beat Reed. Then, you add Vernon Davis into the mix, Delanie's chances of scoring more drastic go down. Add both of Vernon & Reed's points together and that's a Top 10 TE. Alex Smith has the highest QB career percentage thrown to TEs. See, in fantasy in 2018, you got a 33 1/3 chance of winning with just any TE, but Reed & Vernon got a 66 and 2/3 chance of winning your week, because Alex Smith KNOWS Redskins WRs can't catch and he's not even gonna try!

So, drafting Delanie Walker over Jordan Reed, take your 33 1/3 chance, minus Reed & Vernon's 25% chance and you got an 8 1/3 chance of winning with Delanie. But, then you take Jordan Vernon Davis Reed's 75% chance of winning, if they could go one on one in fantasy and then add 66 2/3 per cents, Vernon Jordan Reed Davis has a 141 2/3 chance of winning your league this year.

The numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for drafting Delanie Walker over Jordan Reed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Well, now I'm ashamed of my terrible league and afraid to ask advice but here goes,

I drafted pretty well last night, I think, except that I didn't mean to go 0RB but did so accidentally. This is .5 PPR. I drafted 7th and I'm pretty happy with my first three rounds (DeAndre Hopkins, Michael Thomas, Aaron Rodgers) but in round four I probably should have grabbed an RB but took Stefon Diggs instead, a move I'm now questioning as my RB depth is ugly. (Starting Dion Lewis and Duke Johnson).

Other RBs that went in the 4th/5th round in my league: Ajayi, Henry, Marshawn, Ingram, Royce. Should I see if I can spin one of these guys (or an equivalent) out of a WR-hungry team for Diggs or just go with what I drafted?