Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

jadebullet posted:

Yeah, it's on Audible, which is how I'm listening to it.

My only complaint with it is that I wish the main plague marine characters were a squad rather than a collection of different leaders that interact from time to time, but aren't really as connected. With Night Lords I felt like we got to know the members of first claw better and got a better sense of interaction. With the crew for this book, you learn a bit about the characters, but not enough to really care much about them. Only the lord and the tallyman seem to have any real connection.

The bigger problem is that ADB is straight up better at writing characters than Wraight. He's at his best when writing about humans in imperial society imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Get the book out the door as soon as it's edited so money can be started to be made ASAP, the printing can follow when it can be squeezed in.

No one can afford to have printing presses sitting idle until the author has finally finished the book so you have to deal with lead times. All the while you have already paid the author, editor, voice actor, fx artist, illustrator etc etc. That is a fair bit of debt to have sitting around until you can coordinate release.

If you are Lee Child or JK Rowling then you can get the printing of other books moved back for your current, once every five years best seller. For GW you just can't do that for a single book with all the others you are involved in.

I don't think this is it. They usually release all 3 at once. Lords of Silence has one of the special limited edition hardbacks. I think when they do one of those the normal printed version doesn't come out until much later to get all the limited editions sold.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So GW are back on the magazine to lure in the kids train. This is actually a decent buy if you spot it http://www.warhammer40000conquest.com/

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

PupsOfWar posted:

its sad that Vulkan/Salamanders stuff is always done by the worst authors BL can scrape up

like you've got this faction that, premise-wise, should be super cool and rad, yet they're stuck this way

the one chapter or so that the Salamanders are in Helsreach is probably more worthwhile than all of the dozen books nick kyme has written about them

them and the dark angels get the bad end of the writing stick.

jadebullet posted:

Yeah, it's on Audible, which is how I'm listening to it.

My only complaint with it is that I wish the main plague marine characters were a squad rather than a collection of different leaders that interact from time to time, but aren't really as connected. With Night Lords I felt like we got to know the members of first claw better and got a better sense of interaction. With the crew for this book, you learn a bit about the characters, but not enough to really care much about them. Only the lord and the tallyman seem to have any real connection.

hope they put the night lord novels and the cain novels on there someday.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Wtf, the English hardback version of Lords of Silence is already available in my local GW store (great read btw)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
That's a much better explanation than my "GW dummies! They get the easily pirated version out first, then put the paper copy out months later when everyone has already stolen the book!"

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

so the audiobook narrator for Pharos gives the Night Lords this thick, theatrical, faux-eastern european accent, like something out of a B-movie

this makes sense, given that the Night Lords are supposed to be a bunch of nosferatus, but I had never thought of it before

is this normal for audio presentations of them?

anyway this book is bad but maybe I'll keep listening on the off chance of some good dantioch/polux shipping

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Arquinsiel posted:

So GW are back on the magazine to lure in the kids train. This is actually a decent buy if you spot it http://www.warhammer40000conquest.com/

I just hope it comes to Freedom Land eventually. Looks like a p.deece deal?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

PupsOfWar posted:

so the audiobook narrator for Pharos gives the Night Lords this thick, theatrical, faux-eastern european accent, like something out of a B-movie

this makes sense, given that the Night Lords are supposed to be a bunch of nosferatus, but I had never thought of it before

is this normal for audio presentations of them?

anyway this book is bad but maybe I'll keep listening on the off chance of some good dantioch/polux shipping

The Audio dramas go full-on schatner ham with the accents, it seems like Eastern-European is a go to for some reason- maybe to highlight the cultural drift in the Imperium?

The Audionovels aren't awful, but it's a useful tool to help differentiate speakers without your normal formatting.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Schadenboner posted:

I just hope it comes to Freedom Land eventually. Looks like a p.deece deal?
For the first issue definitely. A single pot of paint will cost you more than the lot. I grabbed it for that alone.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Almost done with Lords of Silence but I really wanted to say how much I appreciate Wraight's ability to paint a picture with words. Every page he's got this really evocative poo poo going on.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

them and the dark angels get the bad end of the writing stick.

Raven Guard, too. Deliverance Lost was bad.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Raven Guard get it because they're inherently boring as gently caress edgelord Marines, though.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

the drop site massacre was inadvertent brilliance by the traitor primarchs since, in nigh destroying two of the most Reasonable legions, they ensured most of the future astartes would be either ultras or assorted crazymen

if there were another hundred chapters of Raven Guard and Salamanders running around, the Imperium would probably be in less lovely condition. (although the raven guard do have more successors than you'd think, given how hosed they were after the Heresy)

Horus continues to exact vengeance from beyond the grave every time a blood angels successor chapter goes insane or a dark angels successor chapter fucks off to pursue some sort of shadowy agenda, without there being anybody more stable around to take up the slack

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 31, 2018

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Shockeh posted:

Raven Guard get it because they're inherently boring as gently caress edgelord Marines, though.

I want to like them, I like the general idea of their "style" but even having not read any 40k books aside from the start of Eisenhorn, I know they generally get trash books.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Shockeh posted:

Nuh uh... Nykona Sharrowkyn is awesome 'cus he's a ninja and stuff and can, like, turn invisible and he shot Fulgrim in the face and beat the best swordsman Lucius TWICE because he's so awesome and.. and... oh god he's such a lovely Mary Sue

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dog_Meat posted:

Nykona Sharrowkyn

:commissar:

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

So I just finished Eisenhorn 2. And the lovely ending made me want to read something else so decided to do a bit of catch up with 8th edition by reading Dark Imperium.
Right at the beginning it talks briefly about what Rowboat did when he got back up, but doesn't actually talk about what he said to Daddy-Emperor. So is that in a book yet? If so, which book? I feel like I need to read that first.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Spiteski posted:

So I just finished Eisenhorn 2. And the lovely ending made me want to read something else so decided to do a bit of catch up with 8th edition by reading Dark Imperium.
Right at the beginning it talks briefly about what Rowboat did when he got back up, but doesn't actually talk about what he said to Daddy-Emperor. So is that in a book yet? If so, which book? I feel like I need to read that first.

From what I remember what's in Dark Imperium is what you get. Sequel's coming out soon so might be more in that I guess, but for now it's supposed to be a mystery or whatever.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVghX8opHJU

Trazyn gonna trazyn

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Man sucks to be whoever inside those ships that being literally eaten by Tyranids

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Spiteski posted:

You didn't like Malleus. I thought that had a great ending. What didn't you like?

Opentarget
Mar 17, 2009

Man, now I just want a silly loot game where you're Trazyn just robbing everyone.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
I wonder if that custodes in the trailer is constatine valdor.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Opentarget posted:

Man, now I just want a silly loot game where you're Trazyn just robbing everyone.
:same:
Trazyn makes the Necron retcon worth it all by himself. :allears:

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Greataval posted:

I wonder if that custodes in the trailer is constatine valdor.

That custodian has a moderate, even sensible amount of bling. And- he's wearing a helmet. Odds are he was on his first day of polishing the eternity gate when he got snatched.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

You didn't like Malleus. I thought that had a great ending. What didn't you like?

I didn't like that 50% of the story took 85% of the book, and then the other 50% of the story just took place as a fast summing-up of events in the last 15% of the book. Felt very much like they got close to whatever arbitrary page limit they were setting and thought "gently caress, need to wrap this up".
Was very jarring for me.
The story itself and the ending itself was fine, it was just, I dunno, unpleasant to read?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Abnett.txt

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

I can't remember which Eisenhorn book it was, but I swear in my hazy memories an entire arc is wrapped with what amounts to "so my friends all believed me, turned up at the last minute and we all wrecked the enemy's poo poo together. This would leave me crippled - the end".

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The one where he loses his ability smile?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Also his kneecaps IIRC.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That's the third book. After he's basically alienated everyone with his radicalism they all (most anyway) show up for the final battle at the eleventh hour and get poo poo done, then he goes off into the sunset a broken man with a pet daemon. E: Tagged cause at least one person is reading it right now or soon.

Come to think of it it might also be the second book.

And kinda sorta all three of the Ravenor books.

Hm.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I finally excavated a copy of Ian Watson's Space Marine and this is a loving blast, alright.

edit: also a little homoerotic? I can't tell yet.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

That's the third book. After he's basically alienated everyone with his radicalism they all (most anyway) show up for the final battle at the eleventh hour and get poo poo done, then he goes off into the sunset a broken man with a pet daemon. E: Tagged cause at least one person is reading it right now or soon.

Come to think of it it might also be the second book.

And kinda sorta all three of the Ravenor books.

Hm.

That's really not how the third one went though. He was betrayed by one of his closest allies and even the ones that stuck with him to the end like Betancore bailed after the last fight. Of his closest three allies zero are with him at the last fight. If Ravenor hadn't helped him out he would have been hosed.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hungry posted:

I finally excavated a copy of Ian Watson's Space Marine and this is a loving blast, alright.

Oh it'll get there.

Pendent posted:

That's really not how the third one went though. He was betrayed by one of his closest allies and even the ones that stuck with him to the end like Betancore bailed after the last fight. Of his closest three allies zero are with him at the last fight. If Ravenor hadn't helped him out he would have been hosed.

That sounds more right, yeah. It's been a hot second maybe I should give them another go.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

New Ciaphis Cain (Hero of the Imperium!) novel is out. Little disappointed since they brought out a hardback they didn't spring for an Audiobook version, I had an Audible credit saved especially. Would have liked to have heard a well read Cain novel. Double bonus points if they'd gotten (I know it's probably unrealistic) Timothy West who did the definitive Flashman audiobook performances. Still it's been a long while and I am defintiely up for a new Cain novel.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Hungry posted:

Yes, it's basically transhuman homoeroticism made manifest and it's fabulous.

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010
Finished up Corax. It was a pretty lousy read, but the ending was quite sad. I think I'll just avoid Gav Thorpe forever.

Also finished up Horus Rising for the second time. I got the impression, perhaps wrong, that Abnett was still getting used to having Space Marines as the central theme of his writing as opposed to regular humans. It felt like he wanted to really talk more about Pistachio Keeler and all those other people I can't remember.

The first time I read this book, I was incredibly disappointed, because it seemed so boring compared to the fluff in the rulebooks. But now I can sympathize. You have to start the story somewhere and develop the beginnings somehow before going to the cool parts. Could it have been better, sure, but I guess the author did what he could with whatever constraints were put on him. An underwhelming beginning, all the same.

Opentarget
Mar 17, 2009
Just finished Roboute Guilliman: Lord of Ultramar, and man, dude is a nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Opentarget posted:

Just finished Roboute Guilliman: Lord of Ultramar, and man, dude is a nerd.

I had serious problems with that book, the whole secondary plot was massively, massively frustrating.