Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am waiting until I have forgotten enough of Horizon Zero Dawn to play the DLC. Luckily I left so much of the main game unfinished the last time I played because I had to see where the story went.

So when I am sufficiently unsure, I will start a new game plus and play through the whole thing :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Hakkesshu posted:

Everything about Prototype 2 felt less satisfying than 1 IMO. Though I don't disagree that 1 has so many problems it's hard to recommend to everyone. That's why I still think I would take Hulk: UD over either, it also has the jump grab bounce slam which neither Prototype game has, and it's my favourite move.

RIP Radical.

I felt like both were a good time, but Prototype 2 was a better game overall with a much much better plot.

I did absolutely love that the final chunk of Prototype 2 is the majority of the city sections from 1 though. I just had gotten over being disappointed at how relatively small the buildings were in all the new areas, and then they go and pull that on me. :allears:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

VideoGames posted:

I am waiting until I have forgotten enough of Horizon Zero Dawn to play the DLC. Luckily I left so much of the main game unfinished the last time I played because I had to see where the story went.

So when I am sufficiently unsure, I will start a new game plus and play through the whole thing :D

Hey, I haven't seen you in a while, buddy, hope everything is ok

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I was about to say! Where you been at, VG?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
this just popped up in my youtube recommendations and i finally think youtube is worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoA21biuum0

two of my fav things together at last. :)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Escobarbarian posted:

New WoW expansion and Cyberpunk thread require careful and attentive moderation.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Steve Yun posted:

In the first 15 minutes of Frozen Wilds you’ll see maybe the most beautiful vista in this whole console generation.

Link? I don't specifically recall it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mastershakeman posted:

Link? I don't specifically recall it

It starts off along a mountain clifftop, so you get a lovely view of the entire valley area as you enter the region.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Horizon will speed up the day/night cycle so that you always hit that grand billowing vista at sunrise. Very amusing to see a whole day pass while Aloy climbs up a few rocks.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Samuringa posted:

Hey, I haven't seen you in a while, buddy, hope everything is ok

Escobarbarian posted:

Thank you so much for the worry! I really appreciate it. :)

I have been doing quite a lot of moderating more than joining in with threads so my attention has been diverted for a while! It has been a bit full on so not as much actual posting rather than mod posting.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
One of my friends recently picked up Horizon Zero Dawn and it's fun hearing her describe it as she plays through it.

She just finished "climbing that big rear end tower and seeing the hologram conversation between that scientist lady and that rear end in a top hat that ruined everything" and I just nodded sagely.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/RSemul315/status/1035026444932460544

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Okay, I gotta come clean. Even though I really dig the Yakuza games it never fails to surprise me just how much poo poo Kiryu gets done considering how he's not a gigantic boulder of a human being like Chris Redfield. Like, Yakuza 0 has the whole Mr. Shakedown thing and the enormous Makoto 'God Hands' Makimura and even at Tojo headquarters there were those dudes with katanas that were bigger than him. And then in Kiwami there's motherfucking Gary 'Buster' Holmes showing up.

So it's kinda something that sticks in my head when I play these games considering he seems less beefy than any random criminal in Batman Arkham Asylum. Or officer Gordon for that matter.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

RareAcumen posted:

Okay, I gotta come clean. Even though I really dig the Yakuza games it never fails to surprise me just how much poo poo Kiryu gets done considering how he's not a gigantic boulder of a human being like Chris Redfield. Like, Yakuza 0 has the whole Mr. Shakedown thing and the enormous Makoto 'God Hands' Makimura and even at Tojo headquarters there were those dudes with katanas that were bigger than him. And then in Kiwami there's motherfucking Gary 'Buster' Holmes showing up.

So it's kinda something that sticks in my head when I play these games considering he seems less beefy than any random criminal in Batman Arkham Asylum. Or officer Gordon for that matter.

its whats in your heart that counts.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

RareAcumen posted:

Kiryu is crazy muscular but in a realistic way, Comic Book characters are just covered in lumps

And of course, he has the HEAT

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Samuringa posted:

Kiryu is crazy muscular but in a realistic way, Comic Book characters are just covered in lumps

And of course, he has the HEAT

Yeah, I think this comes down to cultural differences about what a powerful body looks like on top of stylistic decisions made by the developers. Arkham was based on American comic books and gritty action/crime movies where fighting is about who can hit the other guy harder and more times so every character is an enormous slab of beef. Yakuza is based on Japanese material where all the characters are skilled martial artists so they get a physique to match.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

haveblue posted:

Yeah, I think this comes down to cultural differences about what a powerful body looks like on top of stylistic decisions made by the developers. Arkham was based on American comic books and gritty action/crime movies where fighting is about who can hit the other guy harder and more times so every character is an enormous slab of beef. Yakuza is based on Japanese material where all the characters are skilled martial artists so they get a physique to match.

And at least some of that stuff in Arkham was probably just laziness on the devs part working with Unreal 3. Gordon looks a lot more like an actual human in Arkham Knight for instance.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't know anyone who didn't make fun of the character design in the Arkham series. Same with Gears, with its mix of steroid monsters, steroid monstermen, and some normal looking human beings.

In the fourth game all the Gears are normal looking people because the steroid wars are over, except the protagonists of the last game, who are still gigantic beefmen.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 31, 2018

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
All the Yakuza player characters are still taller than most NPCs though, even Tanimura who's supposed to be the small one.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cool my PS4 is auto updating in rest mode even though I have a game open, good job I always remember to save first!!

I should really turn that off...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The age of hypermasculine steroidal dudes is over and now it's all about greybearded dads and athletic lesbians.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Pictured: just a couple of master martial artists with their realistic-sized bodies and muscles

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Wow you found an exception to what they said! Truly you are the superior one.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lmao what a worthless point to make

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

disrespecting fotns by forgetting it like that cannot go unncommented on

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Cool my PS4 is auto updating in rest mode even though I have a game open, good job I always remember to save first!!

I should really turn that off...

Yeah that's super annoying

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

DrNutt posted:

And at least some of that stuff in Arkham was probably just laziness on the devs part working with Unreal 3. Gordon looks a lot more like an actual human in Arkham Knight for instance.

Arkham Asylum Unreal 3.0 Engine Gordon was hilarious. Like the entire "Commissioner Gordon was kidnapped" part of the game was just like, did you SEE Gordon why didn't he just rip off the arms of his kindappers?

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Wow you found an exception to what they said! Truly you are the superior one.

Thanks, I think so too

Alternatively, it's just a funny thing in the context of a Yakuza discussion because that is the protagonist of the next Yakuza spinoff

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Neo Rasa posted:

Arkham Asylum was even more hilarious for its Unreal 3 action figure models though. Like the entire "Commissioner Gordon was kidnapped" part was just like, did you SEE Gordon why didn't he just rip off the arms of his kindappers?

Well, probably because his kidnappers are all as jacked as he is. Everyone is loving jacked, except the Joker and Harley.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

its whats in your heart that counts.

Yeah, it doesn't ruin the games for me or anything but it's just something I can't help but notice every so often. If he were as big as Makoto was, then I wouldn't think anything about it was off in the slightest. I already don't question things too much in games anyway. Like, what am I gonna do? Go; 'Um, actually, this thing is extremely unrealistic in your fictional piece of entertainment' like I'm some grognard mad about women in fantasy literature or something?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Hope you want Destiny 2 and God of War 3

The last god of war game i played ended with me riding a tree man up mount Olympus. I think. It was on the ps2. Is that the next one

E also both prototype games own bones, we need a third one asap

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Inspector Hound posted:

The last god of war game i played ended with me riding a tree man up mount Olympus. I think. It was on the ps2. Is that the next one

Yes

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Inspector Hound posted:

Yes, that's the cliffhanger ending of 2. 3 picks up exactly where that leaves off.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

haveblue posted:

Yes, that's the cliffhanger ending of 2. 3 picks up exactly where that leaves off.

Good because i remember sitting there thinking "alright here we go lets gently caress up some olympioh ok the game is over" and feeling disappointed. i don't remember exactly what the story was but i remember being way more wrapped up in it than it deserved and wanting to see it finished. I'll never play destiny 2 but im kind of excited to run through this one.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If this dude was picking up motorcycles, wouldn't even register as out of the ordinary.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
God of War is a good game.

It's crazy how Sony has positioned themselves as THE "cinematic single player company". Especially with how they used to struggle making a name for themselves with the genre way back when (e.g. Syphon Filter & Primal).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The main thing I remember about GOW3's release is that the Clash of the Titans remake came out at the same time and the opening sequence of the game absolutely blew the movie out of the water in about the same amount of runtime. Sadly it's all downhill from there but that is a drat good opening.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

IIRC the devs said that the opening with Leviathan was the last thing they did with the game and if so that shows.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Any opening blows Clash of the Titans out of the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

GoW3 is a masterpiece, the best on his genre. If anything, I believe a few puzzles are hard to figure out and the pace slown down in these areas. And playing it in 2018 means you are playing the classic everyone try to imitate so will not seems superoriginal.

I am confusing the game with a different one?, maybe.