Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kilometers Davis posted:

I haven’t played them but ugh how could they mess up the Yakuza combat so much after 0? It was so good!

You should play them because they didn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it’s not totally poo poo the bed or anything, just more frustrating

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

La-Mulana 2 is coming to consoles next Spring.

La-Mulana 1 still remains PC/WiiWare/Vita exclusive?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Everybody's Golf dropped a new DLC course, didn't know they were still adding stuff. New course will be open to all in the finals of the international tournament coming up so make sure to qualify (which is usually a really low bar to clear).

Oh poo poo how is it? I kind of dropped out of EG for a little while because all I need to get Platinum is to score two more Hole-in-One condors and with the mirrored courses I couldn't get the wind to align right and gave up for the time being.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Re: puzzle game talk, Gorogoa is an incredible game that anyone who has even the slightest interest in puzzles in games/unique games should go buy right now. Don't look up anything about it though, just trust me that it's amazing, looking up trailers sort of spoils what I imagine is a great part of the experience, and makes the first 10 minutes even better, or at least I think it would, I went in knowing nothing and bought it on iOS for 5$ and was immediately hooked and beat it twice in one night. If you have an iPad or preferably a way to play it on a big screen, I'd recommend the iOS/Steam versions over the PS4 version, BUT only if you can play on a TV, or a big screen. I think an iPad would be better actually, it's a tricky decision because you need a cursor, or in the case of iOS obviously just touch controls but I felt like for one, maybe two of the puzzles, your fingers aren't accurate enough and kinda block the screen, and if you play it on your TV then you'll still sort of be looking at your iOS device.. Either way, play it, it's one of those games that's cheap enough and about 2 hours of solid, amazing art/unique puzzles and a brilliant soundtrack, In fact, I think it's a must that you play with headphones as it's integrated in such a unique way, I don't know of any other game that's done it before. Also in my third playthrough on PS4, I had my headphones on and noticed that the soundtrack actually gives you clues to some solutions... you'll know what I mean if you've played it, or if you have, [spoiler]it triggers/changes the track when you move a frame into a different position, or when moving a frame changes the scene, but if you have a choice between say three different areas to "go to", and go to the wrong one, the music will be somehwat disonnant. He said he was inspire by the website in B flat, which you should check out if you haven't heard of it), but as someone who makes laptop music that's instrumenta/lsoundtracky but experimental, it was pretty amazing when I figured out how the soundtrack worked.

It's interesting going into some games completely blind, if only because it makes those first few minutes, or even moments that much better. I bought it because my Recording Arts and Technology/Music Theory professor went to grad school with Joel Corelitz (composed original music for The Unfinished Swan, Tumbleseed, and contributed music to Hohokum and more - check out http://joelcorelitz.com - but Gorogoa is his best by far, the Unfinished Swan also has catchy themes, but Gorogoa is on another level). But yeah, I love the feeling at the beginning of Inside, where you literally don't know what to do, and The Unfinished Swan starts similarly too. But I think this game is more effective than the other two in that respect because it's core mechanics are so different than any other game I've played that you're still kind of amazed by the end of the game (or until you get stuck, which happened to me once, and I figured it out accidentally, but if I would have paid more attention to the "story" or the other visual details I would've known, but it's distracting as both are pretty distinct, but hard to keep both in mind sometimes, especially when it gets complex).

The Witness is great, I need to play more of it, it really is amazing. Although I'm sure the puzzles make sense for the most part and do a great job at teaching you without any text/dialogue tutorial of any kind, I had to Google the solution to one puzzle type. which I never do, even IGN or whatever said it was one of the few that's sort of a stretch.. Otherwise, it's surprising how well it keeps you invested even though, on paper, it seems like you're doing fairly repetitive/boring puzzles, but the world is so beautiful and intriguing that even when you do get burnt out on them a bit, you still feel motivated.

Man, I need to get back into The Talos Principle, I bought it at a terrible time, right around the time I bought a bunch of these games on sale or was/am still playing them: Nier, Dark Souls Remastered, Yakuza 0, Horizon zero Dawn, Monster Hunter World, Shadow of the Colossus Remake, Persona 5, The Witcher 3, Titanfall 2 and more that I haven't even started.. I think I've literally bought every game I wanted for PS4.

Actually, I just checked the PS Store, and looked at Yoko Taro's "Creator's Picks" again and I own almost every game he's listed (I just bought Dangonronpa 1 2 just based on his picks, and I need to finish Life is Strange and HZD. But he included FFXV and I haven't played it, but I wonder if that's Square Enix, etc, and he's taking the piss because he mentions the thing that surprised him "the most is their incomprehensible passion towards food and beverage. FF is amazing"'. I also read an article that said a Square Enix higher up said they wanted Yoko Taro to direct a main FF game and include his brand of weirdness, which would literally make me interested in a FF game for maybe the first time since I was younger and played 7.

Oh, and as a regular reminder to buy The Last Guardian, Yoko Taro says: "I've waited 7 years.. Seven. I love Fumito Ueda's creations but I didnt't think that I would okay after waiting seven years since it was announced. The finished game was beautiful to the very last detail and the content was like a gem. This is a game that I ended up feeling happy to have been able to play while I was still alive." Amazing quote, and I couldn't agree more... I cannot wait for whatever they do next, as their games get better and better, and SotC Remake shows how incredible and timeless that game is, even thought it's just the old game with a fresh coat of paint, albeit a beautifully done, and masterful example of a remake, the PS2 version of the game is literally under the Remake's map, and I believe they smoothed out a few things, but it's the same exact game but with a visual update. Yoko Taro, Hidetaka Miyazaki and Fumito Ueda are amazing and I'm happy to see that they love each others' games.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The Witness consumed me completely. I bought the Talos Principle afterwards and couldn't really get into it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Imhotep posted:

Re: puzzle game talk, Gorogoa is an incredible game that anyone who has even the slightest interest in puzzles in games/unique games should go buy right now. Don't look up anything about it though, just trust me that it's amazing, looking up trailers sort of spoils what I imagine is a great part of the experience, and makes the first 10 minutes even better, or at least I think it would, I went in knowing nothing and bought it on iOS for 5$ and was immediately hooked and beat it twice in one night. If you have an iPad or preferably a way to play it on a big screen, I'd recommend the iOS/Steam versions over the PS4 version, BUT only if you can play on a TV, or a big screen. I think an iPad would be better actually, it's a tricky decision because you need a cursor, or in the case of iOS obviously just touch controls but I felt like for one, maybe two of the puzzles, your fingers aren't accurate enough and kinda block the screen, and if you play it on your TV then you'll still sort of be looking at your iOS device.. Either way, play it, it's one of those games that's cheap enough and about 2 hours of solid, amazing art/unique puzzles and a brilliant soundtrack, In fact, I think it's a must that you play with headphones as it's integrated in such a unique way, I don't know of any other game that's done it before. Also in my third playthrough on PS4, I had my headphones on and noticed that the soundtrack actually gives you clues to some solutions... you'll know what I mean if you've played it, or if you have, [spoiler]it triggers/changes the track when you move a frame into a different position, or when moving a frame changes the scene, but if you have a choice between say three different areas to "go to", and go to the wrong one, the music will be somehwat disonnant. He said he was inspire by the website in B flat, which you should check out if you haven't heard of it), but as someone who makes laptop music that's instrumenta/lsoundtracky but experimental, it was pretty amazing when I figured out how the soundtrack worked.

It's interesting going into some games completely blind, if only because it makes those first few minutes, or even moments that much better. I bought it because my Recording Arts and Technology/Music Theory professor went to grad school with Joel Corelitz (composed original music for The Unfinished Swan, Tumbleseed, and contributed music to Hohokum and more - check out http://joelcorelitz.com - but Gorogoa is his best by far, the Unfinished Swan also has catchy themes, but Gorogoa is on another level). But yeah, I love the feeling at the beginning of Inside, where you literally don't know what to do, and The Unfinished Swan starts similarly too. But I think this game is more effective than the other two in that respect because it's core mechanics are so different than any other game I've played that you're still kind of amazed by the end of the game (or until you get stuck, which happened to me once, and I figured it out accidentally, but if I would have paid more attention to the "story" or the other visual details I would've known, but it's distracting as both are pretty distinct, but hard to keep both in mind sometimes, especially when it gets complex).

The Witness is great, I need to play more of it, it really is amazing. Although I'm sure the puzzles make sense for the most part and do a great job at teaching you without any text/dialogue tutorial of any kind, I had to Google the solution to one puzzle type. which I never do, even IGN or whatever said it was one of the few that's sort of a stretch.. Otherwise, it's surprising how well it keeps you invested even though, on paper, it seems like you're doing fairly repetitive/boring puzzles, but the world is so beautiful and intriguing that even when you do get burnt out on them a bit, you still feel motivated.

Man, I need to get back into The Talos Principle, I bought it at a terrible time, right around the time I bought a bunch of these games on sale or was/am still playing them: Nier, Dark Souls Remastered, Yakuza 0, Horizon zero Dawn, Monster Hunter World, Shadow of the Colossus Remake, Persona 5, The Witcher 3, Titanfall 2 and more that I haven't even started.. I think I've literally bought every game I wanted for PS4.

Actually, I just checked the PS Store, and looked at Yoko Taro's "Creator's Picks" again and I own almost every game he's listed (I just bought Dangonronpa 1 2 just based on his picks, and I need to finish Life is Strange and HZD. But he included FFXV and I haven't played it, but I wonder if that's Square Enix, etc, and he's taking the piss because he mentions the thing that surprised him "the most is their incomprehensible passion towards food and beverage. FF is amazing"'. I also read an article that said a Square Enix higher up said they wanted Yoko Taro to direct a main FF game and include his brand of weirdness, which would literally make me interested in a FF game for maybe the first time since I was younger and played 7.

Oh, and as a regular reminder to buy The Last Guardian, Yoko Taro says: "I've waited 7 years.. Seven. I love Fumito Ueda's creations but I didnt't think that I would okay after waiting seven years since it was announced. The finished game was beautiful to the very last detail and the content was like a gem. This is a game that I ended up feeling happy to have been able to play while I was still alive." Amazing quote, and I couldn't agree more... I cannot wait for whatever they do next, as their games get better and better, and SotC Remake shows how incredible and timeless that game is, even thought it's just the old game with a fresh coat of paint, albeit a beautifully done, and masterful example of a remake, the PS2 version of the game is literally under the Remake's map, and I believe they smoothed out a few things, but it's the same exact game but with a visual update. Yoko Taro, Hidetaka Miyazaki and Fumito Ueda are amazing and I'm happy to see that they love each others' games.

Gorogoa.I know it's a ps4 thread. But this is $5 on android...would it be good there?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have Gorogia on iOS and it's great yeah. Probably overall more suited to a touch screen. It's gorgeous.

Also The Witness is one of my favourite games of all time hands-down

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Bombadilillo posted:

Gorogoa.I know it's a ps4 thread. But this is $5 on android...would it be good there?

yes. I was just saying it's worth seeing on a big screen, with headphones or on a nice system. I dunno how much it is on Steam, but I'd imagine that's the best way to play it. I mean I've beaten it 4 times, but it's not exactly a game with a ton of replay value, so having it mobile isn't really a selling point, but the touch screen stuff is good (I should've clarified that there's literally only a puzzle or two that require timing and accuracy that my thumb messed up a few times), it just sometimes got in the way of the artwork I though. I prefer playing on PS4 just because the visuals and music, but also played it again on iOS 3 times, so it's definitely is worth it on any system, especially for $5.

edit: Also, what little I did play of the Talos Principle I quite enjoyed, it was just a little too much for me at the time, too open, but I enjoyed the puzzles, even though they were sort of twitchy, like you had to sometimes just brute force your way through some puzzles without getting killed, I appreciated that aspect of it. And from screenshots I've seen it looks beautiful later in the game, and I liked the little bits of lore there were. Basically it seemed like it was getting good, idk, has anyone played through all of it? How long is it? I might just play through it because I'm in the mood for a game like that, but if it's too long I might finish up some other stuff before playing more of it.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 31, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sakurazuka posted:

You should play them because they didn't

Yeah don’t worry guys I still will :love:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The Horizon Zero Dawn thread is pretty quiet so I'll ask in here.
Is the DLC worth getting? I've finished the main game and want more, so is Frozen Wilds as good as the base game?

Oh and a general DLC question, my partner and I share our PS4 and we each have our own account on it. If I buy DLC on my account can he use it on his too?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I’ve been enjoying the hell out of Yakuza Kiwami but it really surprises me how just...not at all fun some of these boss fights are.

Like, it’s over quick enough, but a fistfight against a heavily armed dude who dodges all of my poo poo and kills my Heat bar every time he attacks? No. Please stop that.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Helith posted:

Is the DLC worth getting? I've finished the main game and want more, so is Frozen Wilds as good as the base game?

Oh and a general DLC question, my partner and I share our PS4 and we each have our own account on it. If I buy DLC on my account can he use it on his too?

Its better. Get it ASAP. You can both use it.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Helith posted:

Yes, the DLC is awesome. Great environments, tough challenges, cool characters that tie in with the base game. It's a no brainer if you liked vanilla.

I'm almost positive DLC will work for him too, but you might want to double check.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
+1 for Frozen Wilds. It’s excellent DLC

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Dewgy posted:

I’ve been enjoying the hell out of Yakuza Kiwami but it really surprises me how just...not at all fun some of these boss fights are.

Like, it’s over quick enough, but a fistfight against a heavily armed dude who dodges all of my poo poo and kills my Heat bar every time he attacks? No. Please stop that.

Yeah for as much as I am loving this game, pretty much every boss could easily do with half as much health. When you're just blocking the same attacks, throwing out the same combo because you keep losing your heat, it gets boring super quickly. I love Majima as much as the next guy, but when he pops out of a manhole with 5 health bars it's a big drag.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
In the first 15 minutes of Frozen Wilds you’ll see maybe the most beautiful vista in this whole console generation.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What’s the best puzzle(s) in any game? I’m just trying to figure out what’s the “best” to compare against but most puzzle I can think of are just basic poo poo that are either super simple or SO SIMPLE that they become confusing because my idiot brain goes “no it can’t be this easy” and I fumble around the answer like a moron.

The Witness

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What’s the best puzzle(s) in any game? I’m just trying to figure out what’s the “best” to compare against but most puzzle I can think of are just basic poo poo that are either super simple or SO SIMPLE that they become confusing because my idiot brain goes “no it can’t be this easy” and I fumble around the answer like a moron.

La Mulana

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A game like La Mulana that was actually possible for me to beat without a guide would be good...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I’m sure this is the question everyone has but does 2 have the uhhh unique jumping physics of 1?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I’m sure this is the question everyone has but does 2 have the uhhh unique jumping physics of 1?

You've got full air control from any jump, which is kind of boring but they at least added some trickier platforming to compensate.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

You have full air control after a certain height

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Fantastic, I'll pick up Frozen Wilds! Sounds like a lot of fun.

Oh and gently caress Ted Faro!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Helith posted:

Fantastic, I'll pick up Frozen Wilds! Sounds like a lot of fun.

Oh and gently caress Ted Faro!

:hmmyes:

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Helith posted:

As long as the console is marked as the "Primary" PS4 for the person who owns the DLC, it should work for everyone else on the console???? I've never tried, but it seems to me that that would make sense, given how the cross-account sharing stuff works for games.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
From a few pages back, but hey; Prototype was pretty good. Sure, the plot was insane nonsense and Alex Mercer is a stupid character and I hate his tribal leather jacket and fighting monsters was actually bad and so were the boss fights but my son is not a pornstar.

Well, running up walls and jumping off buildings and throwing cars was fun, anyway. I also may be the only person I know who liked the sequel more; they improved the combat, they made the PC not look like such a dipshit, they realized the plot was absurd and turned it into a black comedy instead of playing it straight, and they tweaked the movement to flow a little better. It tried to fix some mistakes, okay :colbert:

Or you could just play Saints Row IV which lifted the movement system from it wholesale, that works too.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
^^ :):hf::)

Oxxidation posted:

all my good memories of prototype are drowned out by a million missile-firing helicopters, terrible boss fights, and super-soldier enemies that never flinch

This is all true. The good news is that Prototype 2 is a much more enjoyable game that doesn't have these issues. Heller is hit and miss but I found him much less annoying than Mercer, maybe because he doesn't have much of a personality beyond "I'm angry".

I think Prototype 2 is the best power fantasy game that has yet to be surpassed. If you liked wallrunning up buildings and piledriving pedestrians from the top dressed as a grandma but didn't like all the lovely boss fights and annoying enemies this is the game for you.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Reject the false god that is Prototype 2, the only true over the top moody game that take itself serius and is completelly ridiculous is Prototype 1.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wolfsheim posted:

Or you could just play Saints Row IV which lifted the movement system from it wholesale, that works too.

I really wish they would’ve skipped that uninteresting NO CHARACTER CREATION last game and made a SRV. 3 and 4 were so good. God I loved those games.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
I'm giving up on Infamous: Second Son.

It's enjoyable, but the controls and combat are just bad. Worse because I'm coming right off of playing H:ZD, which puts I:SS to shame.

Any announcement on the free games for September yet?

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

lordfrikk posted:

^^ :):hf::)

This is all true. The good news is that Prototype 2 is a much more enjoyable game that doesn't have these issues. Heller is hit and miss but I found him much less annoying than Mercer, maybe because he doesn't have much of a personality beyond "I'm angry".

I think Prototype 2 is the best power fantasy game that has yet to be surpassed. If you liked wallrunning up buildings and piledriving pedestrians from the top dressed as a grandma but didn't like all the lovely boss fights and annoying enemies this is the game for you.

Heller is the perfect straight man "I am sick of this open world bullshit" character, which contrasted nicely with the Saints Row Boss embracing it and enjoying themselves.

Heller's sheer rage at everything will never not be beautiful. Computers? ANGRY. Mercer? RAGE. Doofy names? CONFUSED YET FIRM FRUSTRATION.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zipperelli. posted:

I'm giving up on Infamous: Second Son.

It's enjoyable, but the controls and combat are just bad. Worse because I'm coming right off of playing H:ZD, which puts I:SS to shame.

Any announcement on the free games for September yet?

Hope you want Destiny 2 and God of War 3

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Everything about Prototype 2 felt less satisfying than 1 IMO. Though I don't disagree that 1 has so many problems it's hard to recommend to everyone. That's why I still think I would take Hulk: UD over either, it also has the jump grab bounce slam which neither Prototype game has, and it's my favourite move.

RIP Radical.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Sakurazuka posted:

Hope you want Destiny 2 and God of War 3

I already beat GoW and gently caress Bungie if they think they're getting another penny out of me for Destiny content.

Edit: Welp, guess I can wait for RDR2 in October.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Real hurthling! posted:

Are you playing in pro performance mode? Its like 45-55 and erratic as hell.
High res mode is very stable 30
Idk about slim performance tho.

Any game that has options pertaining to a Pro has the console supersampling options disabled iirc.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Everything about Prototype 2 felt less satisfying than 1 IMO. Though I don't disagree that 1 has so many problems it's hard to recommend to everyone. That's why I still think I would take Hulk: UD over either, it also has the jump grab bounce slam which neither Prototype game has, and it's my favourite move.

RIP Radical.
Wouldn't really call UD a lightning in a bottle kind of deal but at times it looks like it. I also don't get why SEGA when releasing a Hulk: UD "sequel" didn't just give it a better engine instead of making a lesser great UD.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Healbot posted:

Any game that has options pertaining to a Pro has the console supersampling options disabled iirc.

Nah, you're thinking of Boost Mode. Supersampling is the exact opposite.

Toggling the supersampling option makes the game think it's running on a 4K display, so it outputs 2160p (if it can), and then the console itself downsamples that to your 1080p screen - and since only games with Pro-specific configurations will ever output a resolution above 1080p, it's only these games where the option does anything.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pro-enabled games with their own supersampling configuration will default to it even with this setting turned off. The only games that see a benefit from enabling supersampling from the console menu are those that can output at 4k but don't have a downscaling solution, i.e. TLOU Remastered in 60fps mode.

Allegedly in the case of God of War, enabling supersampling from the console while also allowing it to run in-game causes performance issues. This was the rumor at release, at least, so I've always disabled it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Instant Grat posted:

Nah, you're thinking of Boost Mode. Supersampling is the exact opposite.

Toggling the supersampling option makes the game think it's running on a 4K display, so it outputs 2160p (if it can), and then the console itself downsamples that to your 1080p screen - and since only games with Pro-specific configurations will ever output a resolution above 1080p, it's only these games where the option does anything.

Yeah, I confused those.