Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

a mysterious cloak posted:

That's vasovagal syncope, not compressing the major blood vessels that go to your head

Cool. I'll try not to do that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

My eyelid is twitchy for like the last 2 days, am I gonna die

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Eat more salami and get back to us in the morning.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I present to you the worst loving synthol arms ever...

https://i.imgur.com/QYP3QcM.mp4

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

With 100% certainty: yes, you are

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Say Nothing posted:

I present to you the worst loving synthol arms ever...

https://i.imgur.com/QYP3QcM.mp4

Lugging those sacks around is almost like a workout.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I got my captains of crush in today. I can close a number 1, barely. Will any of this poo poo even carry over to deadlift or am I just playing max out games on grippers because I'm fine with either. If juji does it then it's pretty good stuff imo. I really need to buy a house so I can make a home gym for all this sort of poo poo to gently caress around in, that's pretty much my dream at the moment i guess

e: I know there are different types of grip. So far other than just trying to hold onto deadlifts(can double overhand 315 if it's the "easy" bar to hold onto at the gym) I just do dead hangs and I guess grippers now. Should I maybe do a "blob" with dumbells? Or use the wrist roller thingy at the gym?

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Aug 31, 2018

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
That all sounds really complicated, I think you should do more deadlifts (double overhand as heavy as you can go, then switch to mixed or hook) and then just do a bunch of heavy pulling things like pull ups and heavy dumbbell rows. If you can't do pull ups do negatives to train up. You only have a limited time in the gym, so spend it doing things that train your grip and something else at the same time, instead of grip only

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Also specificity is king so if you want to get good at holding a bar you should hold bars. Thankfully everything I listed involves holding a bar. Grippers, fat grips, whatever else is not holding a bar

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Something I found that makes my deadlift grip unbreakable is just holding the bar for 5 seconds on the last rep of my heaviest set.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

feelix posted:

That all sounds really complicated, I think you should do more deadlifts (double overhand as heavy as you can go, then switch to mixed or hook) and then just do a bunch of heavy pulling things like pull ups and heavy dumbbell rows. If you can't do pull ups do negatives to train up. You only have a limited time in the gym, so spend it doing things that train your grip and something else at the same time, instead of grip only

That's good advice but I'm not sure why you think its complicated(unless I confused you with the home gym comment but that just was some poo poo that popped in my mind when I thought about jujimufu). The grippers obviously can be done while chilling on break at work/at the computer, etc. I do pull ups and deadlifts obviously and dead hangs also serve the purpose of just feeling good on my back and shoulders, grip is just a plus. I was mostly asking out of curiosity/to make conversation.

e: to be more specific my post was less "is grippers a good routine to hold onto deadlifts better" and more "oh by the way exactly HOW much carryover is there, if any" because I was talking just to talk, if that makes sense.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 31, 2018

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

That's good advice but I'm not sure why you think its complicated(unless I confused you with the home gym comment but that just was some poo poo that popped in my mind when I thought about jujimufu). The grippers obviously can be done while chilling on break at work/at the computer, etc. I do pull ups and deadlifts obviously and dead hangs also serve the purpose of just feeling good on my back and shoulders, grip is just a plus. I was mostly asking out of curiosity/to make conversation.

I am quite new to grip training too, but I figure you'd want some typ of pinch or thumb-heavy grip training (like pinching smooth weight plates together, or lifting something fat-handled), some type of crushing exercise (Captain of Crush or finger curls with a bar), some form of isometric grip (deadlift holds, hanging, farmer's walk etc), and some general forearm hypertrophy if you feel like it (wrist curls/extensions).

ovenboy fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Aug 31, 2018

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

For years I’ve done all back training with a thumbless grip and it’s gotten to a point where I do deadlifts with a thumbless grip. I’m seemingly weaker when incorporating thumbs into rows, pull ups, and deadlifts. I try to reincorporate thumbs into my lifts but my brain moves it out of the way a few reps into the movement.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I do all my rowing thumbless for some reason. Just feels better that way.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Don't you just love a good pump after back day?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I do all my rowing thumbless for some reason. Just feels better that way.

barbell?

theyve always hurt my elbows for some reason. i go thumbless with straps and never go above 155

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I spent some time recently doing heavy Romanian deadlifts, and that seems to have had a pretty good effect on my grip.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Helios Grime posted:

Don't you just love a good pump after back day?

Serious case of ILS right there

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I use a COC at work for kicks and then I add KB farmer walks in between a lot of my sets at the gym and my grip feels like it's rapidly improving. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Looks like people love the COC itt

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
i'm a little angry at coc right now but it's 100% my fault honestly. I had the 1 and 2 and me and all the other assholes at work were trying to shut them the whole night last night and now my wrist hurts, albeit just pretty minor. this might affect my deadlifts today which today is a serious business deadlift day. i was going to try and hit 350x6 because that's equivalent to 405. e: its only very slight pain when bending, likely just from some tightness so maybe just holding onto a barbell won't really be affected.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 31, 2018

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

You got a T gripper so you can warm up to the 1 and 2, right?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
yeah, but it came in after I left for work so all we had was the 1 and 2 there and like i said we were just being assholes anyway. also the T came with those bands for extensions, those feel pretty good to do.

e: no one could shut the 2. no one could really properly shut the 1 except for me, the other guy who lifts, and weirdly enough, the scrawny 115 lb dude who does a lot of hammering on things which was pretty interesting

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
well the wrist thing got in the way a little but it was still a successful deadlift day. picking up stuff with my wrist pronated felt fine. my hook grip actually felt strong and I hooked up to 315, but I need to do mixed for my 350x1+ work set. It bothers my wrist a bit to supinate it so I had to swap them around to my left wrist being the supinated one this time which was weird. got 350x5 and stopped there, then I pulled 365x1 with hook grip just to see if I could, but just barely. Not secure enough to use it for any heavy work sets still imo.

4 plates soon, if I don't have any more captains of crushing wrist pain incidents anymore.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 1, 2018

tubamortis
Sep 10, 2005

At a meet right now. Delicately threading the needle between having enough caffeine to stay awake vs too much caffeine and pooping on the platform.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

i'm a little angry at coc right now but it's 100% my fault honestly. I had the 1 and 2 and me and all the other assholes at work were trying to shut them the whole night last night and now my wrist hurts, albeit just pretty minor. this might affect my deadlifts today which today is a serious business deadlift day. i was going to try and hit 350x6 because that's equivalent to 405. e: its only very slight pain when bending, likely just from some tightness so maybe just holding onto a barbell won't really be affected.

They’re pretty adamant you not do this less you end up exactly this position lol.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.

ovenboy posted:

I am quite new to grip training too, but I figure you'd want some typ of pinch or thumb-heavy grip training (like pinching smooth weight plates together, or lifting something fat-handled), some type of crushing exercise (Captain of Crush or finger curls with a bar), some form of isometric grip (deadlift holds, hanging, farmer's walk etc), and some general forearm hypertrophy if you feel like it (wrist curls/extensions).

Just to pitch in (and I'm far from experienced) I've found that being consistent with pullups and dumbbell farmer's walks has probably had the greatest effect on my grip strength. I transitioned to those after doing dead hangs for a while because I just got bored holding onto a bar for a minute or more at a time.

A couple of times a week did me just fine. My main goal is to try and get my grip strength up and pull my deadlift as heavy as possible using double overhand before I relent and switch to mixed for no other reason than just cause I wanna

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

tubamortis posted:

At a meet right now. Delicately threading the needle between having enough caffeine to stay awake vs too much caffeine and pooping on the platform.

did you win

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
*crunch*
*snap*
*crack*

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

They’re pretty adamant you not do this less you end up exactly this position lol.

yeah i'm not surprised it happened. it was still fun though and i'll likely do it again in the future when i think i can close no 2

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Crossfit...

https://i.imgur.com/5uyyccb.mp4

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

ElectricSheep posted:

Just to pitch in (and I'm far from experienced) I've found that being consistent with pullups and dumbbell farmer's walks has probably had the greatest effect on my grip strength. I transitioned to those after doing dead hangs for a while because I just got bored holding onto a bar for a minute or more at a time.

A couple of times a week did me just fine. My main goal is to try and get my grip strength up and pull my deadlift as heavy as possible using double overhand before I relent and switch to mixed for no other reason than just cause I wanna

I'm in the same position, grip hasn't been a problem yet during deadlifts and I want to keep it that way. Been adding in chin-ups thrice weekly since just last week, so I'm happy to hear that it worked out for you. The CoC stuff is just because it is fun.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Grip only became an issue with deads once I started lifting over 150kg (330ish pounds?), and I'm a tiny man with tiny girl baby hands

But then I just did alternating grips with some chalk on and it's not a problem anymore. I did feel that the thing that probably enhanced my grip strength the most was just doing deadlifts and holding the bar (with heavy weight) as long as I could

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I believe it's been established that farmer walk is the best form of grip training, you can use dumbbells, kettlebells or even barbells for that.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

doverhog posted:

I believe it's been established that farmer walk is the best form of grip training, you can use dumbbells, kettlebells or even barbells for that.

I thought it was jerking off strangers at the truck stop

I mean works for me

PM me for more info

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

tubamortis posted:

cultivating explosiveness

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

PM me for more info

No thanks I prefer a no hands approach.

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

I bought an ab wheel and I think I went overboard with the ab-wheeling.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Jove Tone posted:

I bought an ab wheel and I think I went overboard with the ab-wheeling.

Nah, I don't think you can really ease into ab exercises. No matter how easy you take it after a long time off or when first starting, you're gonna be sore as gently caress so just go ham and deal with the pain until your body adjusts and you don't get sore anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I'm missing the tip of my index finger down to the first knuckle and it's loving with my grip strength. :argh: