Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ate all the Oreos posted:

the account was made like 3 days ago so who knows what's up with them :shrug:
Haven't seen their profile, but could be catfishing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

~Coxy posted:

10 GbE is only 1 lane of PCI-E 3.0

although it looks like a lot of cards are using 4 lanes of PCI-E 2 or 2 lanes of PCI-E 3, I guess for overheads and bidirectionality.

1 lane of PCIe 3 is 8 Gbps. So no, you need at least those 2 lanes.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I always forget if I have 16 or 32 and I'm pretty sure there is no practical difference unless you are janitoring multiple VMs for some reason.

I have 2 vm's running basically all the time

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The_Franz posted:

wam bam thank you ram

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bulgakov posted:

literally everyone in this current neoliberal capitalist world, except for a small percentage handful, is broke and sad and needing help and its hard to not empathize

:shrug:

this is not even remotely true

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

D. Ebdrup posted:

Haven't seen their profile, but could be catfishing?

eh i saw their profile and they seemed like a dumb teen that tweeted dumb stuff without thinking, then abruptly realized what they did and deleted it :shrug:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Hed posted:

this is not even remotely true

something like 45% of americans aren't able to cover a $600 emergency, 75% of people are living paycheck to paycheck, homie

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
of computer touchers, it's not true

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
the whole reason of becoming a computer toucher is scrooge mcducking into a pile of money your way through life

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Proteus Jones posted:

She’s an amateur and is looking to start a career and having difficulties breaking in. She’s also in the midst of transitioning from male and having a rough go. She also hasn’t been able to change her legal name yet which is causing her distress as well.

I’m willing to cut her a little slack.

just as an fyi, i'd avoid using "[gender 1] to [gender 2]" or variations of that as many us folk who are transgender may take exception. just use the terms AMAB or AFAB to describe someone if you must--meaning "assigned [gender] at birth"

i don't use "male to female" or "MtF" to describe myself because i was never male to begin with

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lain Iwakura posted:

just as an fyi, i'd avoid using "[gender 1] to [gender 2]" or variations of that as many us folk who are transgender may take exception. just use the terms AMAB or AFAB to describe someone if you must--meaning "assigned [gender] at birth"

i don't use "male to female" or "MtF" to describe myself because i was never male to begin with

would just "is transitioning" be okay there? as in if that sentence had been "She’s also in the midst of transitioning and having a rough go"?

to me at least that makes sense because pretty much whenever you're talking about transitioning you're going to be using the person's preferred pronouns anyway which should make it unambiguous, so there's no need to be mentioning male in that particular sentence anyway.

sorry, you probably get a bit sick of questions about this sort of stuff, but i hate the idea of accidentally offending someone, so i try to ask whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

goddamnedtwisto posted:

would just "is transitioning" be okay there? as in if that sentence had been "She’s also in the midst of transitioning and having a rough go"?

to me at least that makes sense because pretty much whenever you're talking about transitioning you're going to be using the person's preferred pronouns anyway which should make it unambiguous, so there's no need to be mentioning male in that particular sentence anyway.

sorry, you probably get a bit sick of questions about this sort of stuff, but i hate the idea of accidentally offending someone, so i try to ask whenever the opportunity presents itself.

that is perfectly fine too

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
hello yospos

there is a (legal) sports streaming company im subscribed to. this company has the rights to way more leagues in the country next door.

i tried a vpn to get around the geo-blocking but this company is good at detecting them.

i really want to watch all the sports so im thinking of getting a vps account in that neighbour country and installing a vpn server there myself. is that a thing?

love
poty

crossposting here because this is as close to a networking thread as there is

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

poty posted:

hello yospos

there is a (legal) sports streaming company im subscribed to. this company has the rights to way more leagues in the country next door.

i tried a vpn to get around the geo-blocking but this company is good at detecting them.

i really want to watch all the sports so im thinking of getting a vps account in that neighbour country and installing a vpn server there myself. is that a thing?

love
poty

crossposting here because this is as close to a networking thread as there is

Yeah, use algo.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
just keep in mind that they might not even be detecting vpns, and could instead be using something both simpler and more effective like "giving you access based on where you pay the bill from". unless you've already traveled to the neighbouring country and confirmed that it works from there?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

5-10 years ago I lived with a bunch of dudes in a filthy villa, we had a PS3 in the living room & I created an account with a random American billing address (literally just google maps some house in the woods in I think Virginia?) and that gave access to the US store.

So, yeah a long time ago but sometimes companies are stupid.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
There's plenty of ways they could be doing it. MTU measurement, blocking datacenter IPs. Rolling Algo would be worth a shot though.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
For work I set up a Crawling cluster that get's around Australian Geo-blocking from our New Jersey datacenter :cool: Of course if you've got the ability to run BGP and can broker IP space it's not really that impressive, but it still made me feel like a badass when it worked.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I once saw a time ticket someone opened complaining they couldn't access some dodgy as hell Chinese music streaming site, but only from the Sydney office. Turns out the site was doing geo blocking based on DNS, and the DNS queries exited to public internet through a POP in Taiwan, and the Chinese site was all "your country is unrecognized rebel territory, no totally legitimately licensed music streams for you."

The kicker is this person got REALLY salty when the ticket was closed, because dozens of engineers we're not going to refactor the global network to make his favorite music site work again from the office.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

poty posted:

(legal) sports streaming company

i would like to know more about the one that streams illegal sports

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

dogfights247.ru

poty
Jun 21, 2008

thanks guys i tried algo on aws ec2 but they blocked that too. ill look for some small potatoes mom-and-pop vps provider in that country and try there...

also its not based on my billing address because the gently caress you screen appears even on private browsing / logged out

poty
Jun 21, 2008

rotten.com

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

poty posted:

thanks guys i tried algo on aws ec2 but they blocked that too. ill look for some small potatoes mom-and-pop vps provider in that country and try there...

also its not based on my billing address because the gently caress you screen appears even on private browsing / logged out

Just fyi, almost all geo-locked content is blocked by default from AWS/GCP/Azure ip addresses, because they are well-defined, and even the most fucktarded person will try them before they give up.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ime theyre hard to avoid if you just google a game thats on

often 4784387iu34.ru or whatever

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I had a lot fewer issues in China when my VPN was pointed at my home FiOS connection compared to us-east-1a so that makes sense

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

poty posted:

Depending on how exactly they're doing the vpn detection, that may or may not work. I have a cheap little vps in North Carolina and Netflix won't play through a simple ssh tunnel/SOCKS proxy setup to it. But exactly the same setup works great if I ssh home to my cable modem. So they're not detecting the tunnel itself, but something about the endpoint (probably just that the IP is in a vps block in a datacenter).

But that's Netflix, which probably has a much larger budget for tunnel detection. And since a VPS is like two bucks a month (just pick anyone on lowendbox that's having a special and has servers in the country you want), you might as well give it a shot and see.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

ive seen some questionable acts of endurance on cam sites before

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

its been semi-common for live sports peoples of various sorts to only do the ip check (or even a login) when a user visits their main website, before passing folks the address of the feed thats hosted on an otherwise authentication-free CDN

and in those cases, lazy popup pirated sports stream sites will just embed a player playing the m3u or w/e the source is from that open backend in an iframe surrounded by a buncha scummy ads that wanna install flash update viruses etc :rip:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

A dutch organisation that inspects car brands has announced that they will stop certifying cars with a hackable keyless-entry system.

This is the kind of system where cars open up automatically if the key fob gets within a certain radius from the car.

A 2011 research paper showed how the majority of keyless-entry systems could be 'hacked' simply by getting within range of the key fob, copying the signal, and sending that signal to the car.

The inspection organisation has found that in 2017, most keyless entry system cars are still completely vulnerable to this attack.

Because of that, they will stop certifying those cars. It will still be legal to use them on the road, but it does mean that insurance companies have no obligation to pay out anything if such a car gets stolen, unless the car owner had sufficient additional anti-theft measures installed.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
correct me if i'm misunderstanding but doesnt that put absolutely zero burden on the manufacturer to fix their poo poo, and instead shift blame for it to the consumer for buying it in the first place?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Podima posted:

correct me if i'm misunderstanding but doesnt that put absolutely zero burden on the manufacturer to fix their poo poo, and instead shift blame for it to the consumer for buying it in the first place?

until the dozen people in Netherlands that buy cars talk to insurers and find out which one they can get theft insurance on

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Cocoa Crispies posted:

until the dozen people in Netherlands that buy cars talk to insurers and find out which one they can get theft insurance on

It's slightly more than that ( https://www.statista.com/statistics/423067/passenger-car-sales-in-the-netherlands/ ) but yeah that's the idea - if consumers don't buy these cars anymore that'll be an incentive for the manufacturer to fix it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Carbon dioxide posted:

It's slightly more than that ( https://www.statista.com/statistics/423067/passenger-car-sales-in-the-netherlands/ ) but yeah that's the idea - if consumers don't buy these cars anymore that'll be an incentive for the manufacturer to fix it.

lol that's lower than ytd f-series sales in the us

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Netherlands are so cool, the trains are real cheap to ride and dutch is just hosed up english

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Netherlands are so cool, the trains are real cheap to ride and dutch is just hosed up english

je moeder is hosed up engels

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

spankmeister posted:

je moeder is hosed up engels

and cheap to ride

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Je moeder is wel cheap to ride. Wil je anders een kleine voestablet ofzo?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Je moeder is wel cheap to ride. Wil je anders een kleine voestablet ofzo?

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

$5 US per hour is the going rate thirty years ago! get a copy of your contract that wasn't corrupted in transit and think about renegotiating

imhpoblorb

• Locked thread