Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It was a Huawatch for 150 or 160 until woot rolled over at midnight eastern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Although that's not a bad deal on a Harmony Ultimate either though I don't know about getting a reconditioned one.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

Although that's not a bad deal on a Harmony Ultimate either though I don't know about getting a reconditioned one.

I've had the non-touch-remote version for 4+ years now and it's been rock solid. Bought refurbished on Amazon.

It really is amazing how effective it is even when stuck inside the shelf under the TV.

Makes for a terrible watch, though.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I had the touch harmony and hated it because it was too easy to push the wrong thing, bought the non touch one after it vanished one day and liked that one much better.

And just recently I found the touch one while disassembling my couch to move. Was so deep in there that it stayed hidden for many years. Too bad I threw out the charging stand :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I had the touch harmony and hated it because it was too easy to push the wrong thing, bought the non touch one after it vanished one day and liked that one much better.

And just recently I found the touch one while disassembling my couch to move. Was so deep in there that it stayed hidden for many years. Too bad I threw out the charging stand :(

The touch one needs a charging stand instead of a button-style battery?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

With the revamped Fit app, it’s looking more and more like Google is making a Pixel watch:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3299479/wearables/google-fit-app-pixel-watch.html

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

LastInLine posted:

The touch one needs a charging stand instead of a button-style battery?

Mine did. Maybe there's a newer model. Screens suck a lot of juice.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mine did. Maybe there's a newer model. Screens suck a lot of juice.

Yeah I'm sure they do. I've had a bunch of Harmony remotes with chargers and on every single one the thing that ended up breaking was the charging cradle becoming too finicky to work reliably. I'm glad I didn't buy that for my parents!

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Is there any square shaped Android 2.0 watch, I am not talking about full android 5/6/7 china watches.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

tino posted:

Is there any square shaped Android 2.0 watch, I am not talking about full android 5/6/7 china watches.

Polar M600. Also the Asus ZenWatch 2, if you're OK with it no longer getting new software updates.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Rastor posted:

Polar M600. Also the Asus ZenWatch 2, if you're OK with it no longer getting new software updates.

I just need Google Play Music + google fit + endomundo working on the same thing (too bad Samsung health doesn't work but I will live), I think I am going to get a black zenwatch 2.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

isndl posted:

gently caress the traditional watch paradigm, go nuts with a three inch rectangular display so I have what amounts to a miniaturized pip-boy. I'm not concerned about bulk, I've worn those massive G-Shocks no problem.

Lemfo lem4 pro is calling for you.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

tino posted:

Lemfo lem4 pro is calling for you.

2.2" display. :smithicide:

loving :lol: at some of the promo pics though.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/huawei-watch-2-classic-smartwatch-45mm-stainless-steel-titanium-gray/5796772.p?skuId=5796772

$180, seems like a solid deal on one of the better of the end of current generation watches.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

isndl posted:

2.2" display. :smithicide:

loving :lol: at some of the promo pics though.

Got to use your spart time well

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Wear OS 1.6 looking good.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Why the gently caress are they not calling it OS 3.0?

BTW, can somebody explain to me why Google fit works on watches that don't have GPS?

I have a Verizon Wear24 (has GPS) and a Zenwatch 2.

I can get Google Fit and Endomundo (a running app) to work on the Wear24 but only Google Fit works on the Zenwatch2. It shows steps and distance but I am thinking it just bullshit me on the distance base on step speed.

This Zen2 is pretty useless to me without Endomundo, I think I should have gotten a 2nd cradle for the Wear24 instead of the Zen2. Although they cost about the same on ebay.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

tino posted:

Why the gently caress are they not calling it OS 3.0?

Because everyone knew Android Wear was kind of crappy and had been crappy for so long they decided to start over with Wear OS. I totally get the re-brand but they probably should have waited to roll it out with new processors and the new design.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I'm starting to feel self-satisfied that I'll be going from Android Wear 1.5 to Wear OS 1.6+

tino posted:

can somebody explain to me why Google fit works on watches that don't have GPS?

Google Fit probably works on every Wear watch, I think they all support motion / step counting which is probably the bare minimum requirement.

Sorry I failed to catch that you would want built-in GPS :(

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Rastor posted:

I'm starting to feel self-satisfied that I'll be going from Android Wear 1.5 to Wear OS 1.6+

Google Fit probably works on every Wear watch, I think they all support motion / step counting which is probably the bare minimum requirement.

Sorry I failed to catch that you would want built-in GPS :(

My question is why does it show running distance when it doesn't have access to that information.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://www.engadget.com/amp/2018/08/29/casio-smartwatch-wsd-f30-wear-os/

Another new WearOS device with a dual layer screen. This also has offline color maps (may detail is called up with a button while in Extend mode) and 3x8 hour days of offline GPS logging.

It seems like manufacturers are starting to embrace Wear as a base OS and then extend with other features.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

tino posted:

BTW, can somebody explain to me why Google fit works on watches that don't have GPS?

On non-GPS watches Fit connects to your phone and gets GPS info from there. Any time you start a workout there's an icon clear as day at the top of the screen saying exactly that.

If you're using it standalone without having your phone with you then yea, it's just guessing based on step data.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

https://www.engadget.com/amp/2018/08/29/casio-smartwatch-wsd-f30-wear-os/

Another new WearOS device with a dual layer screen. This also has offline color maps (may detail is called up with a button while in Extend mode) and 3x8 hour days of offline GPS logging.

It seems like manufacturers are starting to embrace Wear as a base OS and then extend with other features.

I really really like the dual layer screen idea for a smartwatch and something good along these lines will absolutely get me to buy another Wear watch.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
The problem with the Casio smartwatches is that they are too heavy.

60g-70g is what I would call on heavy side for daily wear, you can get a solar powered triple sensor protrek in that weight class.

Now that Casio WSD-F20 is whopping 92 grams! That's only 21 lighter than the iPhone SE. At that point why don't I carried an extra phone as backup when I go on a 3-day hike. I have same problem with top end Garmin watches but they last longer.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

tino posted:

The problem with the Casio smartwatches is that they are too heavy.

60g-70g is what I would call on heavy side for daily wear, you can get a solar powered triple sensor protrek in that weight class.

Now that Casio WSD-F20 is whopping 92 grams! That's only 21 lighter than the iPhone SE. At that point why don't I carried an extra phone as backup when I go on a 3-day hike. I have same problem with top end Garmin watches but they last longer.

Man that really is kind of heavy :( - and here I was thinking that would be kind of like a G-Shock.

Oh well... My boss got a Garmin watch and it looks pretty slick - I might just copy him and get one of those.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CLAM DOWN posted:

I really really like the dual layer screen idea for a smartwatch and something good along these lines will absolutely get me to buy another Wear watch.

:same:

I'm still holding out hope that we'll see a new SoC before my HWatch burns in to the point of unusability, but the idea of a "dumbwatch" overlaid on top of the Wear system has a lot of appeal one way or another, retaining at least some functionality when I forget to pack my charger or it slips off the ridiculously hard to align pogo pins overnight.

I think three modes would probably be ideal for a watch:

Mode 1: Dumbwatch. Segmented LCD overlay, standard digital watch functionality. Clock, alarms, stopwatch, timer, etc. running on a low power microcontroller of some sort.
Mode 2: Fitness tracker. Above plus enable various fitness relevant sensors, optionally also GPS and environmental sensors if equipped. Maybe also support limited notifications over BTLE. Still running on the microcontroller, storing data to be passed to the primary ARM CPU when available.
Mode 3: Full smartwatch. ARM CPU operating, all sensors and radios available, full color display, etc.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 30, 2018

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Just use a monochrome screen. Casio put solar panel, black and white screen and Wear OS in a G Shock case and I would get it.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Exclusive: Google Confirms No Pixel Watch This Year

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/no-pixel-watch-this-year,news-27956.html

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Two years of rumors leading up to nothing :negative:

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
They couldn't work the notch into the watch

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

The flat tire was a notch before the notch.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Google gonna Google

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Considering the way the rest of their lineup has leaked I guess we shouldn't be surprised.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wacky Delly posted:

The flat tire was a notch before the notch.

This was definitely the original notch.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
weak sad virgin brain: no flat tire
superior super brain: one flat tire
ultra brain: two flat tires
Supreme Chad Brain: four flat tires

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

At least a flat tire goes uniformly across the entire bottom. The notch is just dumb and I hate that Apple has made that the new norm

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Len posted:

Two years of rumors leading up to nothing :negative:

I will say though that Wear devices are already a lot like the Nexus program where Google exerts a lot of control over the software

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Its weird that Xiaomi never made a Android Wear OS watch. They usually make one and pander to the Indian market.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Goddammit. I was trying to convince myself to not try a Galaxy Watch and now Google does this.

I'll take a notch over a flat tire any day. Notch gives you more real estate, flat tire gives you less.

The Weather Network app (biggest weather app for Canada) still has a flat tire built into its UI. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Notch gives you more real estate, flat tire gives you less.

:thunk: