Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Knights slap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

For_Great_Justice posted:

I specifially said I chose not to play anymore a few posts ago.

Historical would probably be what I want rule wise but I like the flavor of 40k and similar settings.

Lmao you have like a half dozen posts on this page saying how you don’t like giant robots with chainsaw swords, are you SURE you like 40ks flavor?

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Maybe people should not play with assholes? :shrug:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Two Beans posted:

Yeah. Sometimes you rock up and get paired with one though. Not even assholes even, just people that rock up to a fun night with some hypernerd list because they can't stomach the thought of losing but still having fun.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Am I not allowed to post where I want?

Edit: To understand the 40k I like is the kind with Urial Ventris, chapters like the Salamanders an other individuals who give up the humanity they strive to protect not just against tge terrors of the galaxy but doing it under the thumb of an Imperium that ling ago forgot why it was forged in the first place.

But cool chsinswords whatever.

For_Great_Justice fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 31, 2018

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

You can post where you want, people will just get to call you dumb for posting about a game you don't play and don't like.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

JBP posted:

Yeah. Sometimes you rock up and get paired with one though. Not even assholes even, just people that rock up to a fun night with some hypernerd list because they can't stomach the thought of losing but still having fun.

Yeah, just don't play with those people.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Booley posted:

You can post where you want, people will just get to call you dumb for posting about a game you don't play and don't like.

Ok cool let them they paid their fee.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Knights are cool.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Knights are okay, I like Ork stompas better and I'm hoping the new codex allows me to run an Ork mech list.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

I really don't think we're going to see eye to eye man. I don't like knights. I don't like what they do, how they look or anything. A rhino is not a knight. A lemon rusd does not have a chain sword the size of itself.it looks silly to me to see three knights opposite an infantry swarm, they don't look like they belong in the same game.

I mean yeah. It's not a Russ. A Knight is a Baneblade, pretty much exactly. Both average about.....eh, 450 points a piece, and do roughly the same exact thing on a table. Knights have spiffy relics and stratagems just for them, but a Baneblade gets Regiment and all the stuff a normal Imp Vehicle gets. And both are pretty much exactly as viable at their point cost. There are some exceptions, but most Lords of War are roughly as valuable as each other in this edition. Not even the Primarchs are particularly overpriced or overpowered. Well I mean in a game sense, maybe not a dollars from your pocket sense.

Really it sounds like you just want to play Kill Team. Smaller infantry focused stuff, full of character, all choices basically as viable. It's real real good.

The presence of Knights in tourny [And the trickle down effect that has on people that always have to chase the meta] play is secondary to the main draw of Knights. Lots of people play Knights because Knights are cool. They are cool as gently caress. I don't even play Knights and I keep getting the urge to build a junked together Knight for some cultists/rough and tumble Guard. Canis Rex is probably the least useful thing I could spend 450 points on, but when the robot dies the little man comes out and fights! That's cool and fun. Eisenhorn is probably not the greatest 2 cast Imperial psyker I could pull out [Unless it's fighting aliens, in which case he's a real smart choice], but he can summon a special daemon man that shoots death beams at people. That's just neat. I like having fun things like that, daemon powers that turn people into spawn or what have you, because it's a game. And games might benefit from being perfectly balanced, but they absolutely should be fun.

If you aren't having fun though yeah, don't play the silly fighting mans game. Just read the books for fluff or something. Seriously think about giving Kill Team a try though, if you ever played WH40k you probably have some units you could use for it already done.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

I have a varied night lords army and a speed freeks/ mecha nob ork army I could try for Kill Team. I just am dubious on how much supprt gw will give it in the ling term much less find opponents. Its pretty much 40k or bust at my lgs.

No one really does knights. A few ppl I used to be friends with were pretty sour when they lost or found something going against their idea of the game.

If the new ork stuff coming gives new life to speed freaks I'd consider just trying to find non meta players. I got three battle wagons and ork bikers I enjoyed at least moving them around the field even if the biker boss himself did dick all in combat. :(

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
It's okay to think Knights are cool but that that FW Knight with the movement bonus that gets combined with House Raven abilities to charge the opposing deployment zone turn one needs to be banned, right?

Edit: Raven is advance and shoot. Terryn is the turn one charge into the enemy deployment zone.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 31, 2018

Private_Snafu
Nov 26, 2007
So I didn't quite get to finish Ahriman, or the Helbrute but I did managed to get this painted for Army August. Hoping to finish the last bits this weekend. I'll get some better pictures of the Shaman and Skyfires taken over the weekend when the light's better.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Those are neat Thousand Sons.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Edit: To understand the 40k I like is the kind with Urial Ventris, chapters like the Salamanders an other individuals who give up the humanity they strive to protect not just against tge terrors of the galaxy but doing it under the thumb of an Imperium that ling ago forgot why it was forged in the first place.

But cool chsinswords whatever.

Yeah I think some of my favourite parts of 40k books are when they talk about the normal everyday parts of the Imperium, like a bunch of stuff in the Eisenhorn books. Honestly 30K or the skirmish side of 40K might be more your speed.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Maneck posted:

It's okay to think Knights are cool but that that FW Knight with the movement bonus that gets combined with House Raven abilities to charge the opposing deployment zone turn one needs to be banned, right?

Edit: Raven is advance and shoot. Terryn is the turn one charge into the enemy deployment zone.

The knight gallant when appropriately warlord traited gets 14" move + d6+2" advance + 2d6+2" charge. Average of 28.5". That'll hit most deployment zones. The fw knights can be faster, but against most things are less damaging, especially if you're slamming into a screen. The gallant is extremely good and also pretty cheap.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Booley posted:

The knight gallant when appropriately warlord traited gets 14" move + d6+2" advance + 2d6+2" charge. Average of 28.5". That'll hit most deployment zones. The fw knights can be faster, but against most things are less damaging, especially if you're slamming into a screen. The gallant is extremely good and also pretty cheap.
And most importantly, the Gallant is really cool.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Two Beans posted:

It's pretty hard to avoid. Knights are prevalent even in casual environments like the NOVA Narrative.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's pretty hard to avoid. Knights are prevalent even in casual environments like the NOVA Narrative.

Knights look cool, are fun to play, and easy to paint. They're going to be prevalent everywhere. The tournament I was in last week was super casual with only 2 try hard lists, and everyone was surprised that there were no knights, and only 1 helverin.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Thats one of your mileage vs another though man. Knights from my local meta have eased back but something like Guilliman was easy to spot. Many big name characters really.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Can’t wait form my Guard army to get nerfed to hell because waac’ers use my codex purely as a CP farm.

Cool and good.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That Gobbo posted:

Knights are okay, I like Ork stompas better and I'm hoping the new codex allows me to run an Ork mech list.

I hope Stompas will get to stomp.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Hey, if they're remotely smart about it, it shouldn't nerf Guard themselves too badly because they aren't really hurt by not being able to use other armies' stratagems.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

Can’t wait form my Guard army to get nerfed to hell because waac’ers use my codex purely as a CP farm.

Cool and good.

As a Blood Angels player I think I have more to fear because any change to slam captains is likely to cripple the rest of the army as badly as the FAQ, if not worse.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Pendent posted:

As a Blood Angels player I think I have more to fear because any change to slam captains is likely to cripple the rest of the army as badly as the FAQ, if not worse.

It's going to be like how Guilliman causes a huge point increase to razorbacks and stormravens for non-ultramarines. Their solution to fix something broken makes it so the non-broken versions of an army are even less competitive through collateral damage.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

I have a varied night lords army and a speed freeks/ mecha nob ork army I could try for Kill Team. I just am dubious on how much supprt gw will give it in the ling term much less find opponents. Its pretty much 40k or bust at my lgs.

They just announced the first 3 month organized campaign of KT, and specifically stated it was the first campaign so presumably more are planned. We also know of two major expansions coming in the next several months. It seems pretty well supported by GW in the long term to me.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

30K Apocalypse game at NOVA.

That's a lot of loving resin.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
When you consider the net value of that table is approaching a house deposit...

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Liquid Communism posted:

Hey, if they're remotely smart about it, it shouldn't nerf Guard themselves too badly because they aren't really hurt by not being able to use other armies' stratagems.

So far the grapevine from testers is:

Infantry squads up another 10 points, Company commanders doubling in points to 60, and Kurov's being changed to a 6+

As a 1codex army, gently caress that. Punish soup, not the loving armies.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
What is soup

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah, no, Mars and Warlord titans are crazy stupid expensive, and there's a few of them on that table. Then the "lesser" Titans, all the Knights and other LoW in that picture.....there's probably a moderate sized house on that table, flat out.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

So far the grapevine from testers is:

Infantry squads up another 10 points, Company commanders doubling in points to 60, and Kurov's being changed to a 6+

As a 1codex army, gently caress that. Punish soup, not the loving armies.

This is the kind of poo poo I’m worried about. They keep treating symptoms, not underlying causes.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Shockeh posted:

When you consider the net value of that table is approaching a house deposit...

And a McDonald's worth of grease

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Units from different codexes but Faction aligned. Chaos, Imperial or Eldar.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
I could post for Army August, but I don't want to take all the time to arrange my dudes in a poo poo lighting and photo environment :colbert:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

I could post for Army August, but I don't want to take all the time to arrange my dudes in a poo poo lighting and photo environment :colbert:

:justpost:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Not an empty quote.

And definitely not at all my fault for forgetting to take pictures when it was all nicely laid out in Bristol.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I'm very disappointed with the lack of Ork Armies this month so here's some hastily put together last minute Army August pics.

The Whole Shebang.

Boys and a trukk

Warboss on bike and a mob of biker nobs

Looted Wagons

Grott meatshields

Kans

So Much Dakka

Converted Deff Dread

Converted Commandos

Commando Close up

Big Boss Copper Claw's Readin' Room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

PierreTheMime posted:

Late :siren:Army August:siren: post:

Here's a growing contingent of my Brotherhood of the Scarlet Promise, a Hive Kraken-derived Genestealer cult:

This army looks great, I especially like the brain/finger glow on the patriarch.