Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

CharlestheHammer posted:

People are lovely yeah, just because a lot do it doesn’t make it less so. Numbers can’t paint over your flaws.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I just don't like the idea of calling people lovely for wanting to tune out the problems in the world, even if just for an hour or whatever, to just laugh or maybe even to find the humor in those same problems. I'm not saying it was good to throw Sinead under the bus for what she did, but I understand the reason for it. At least for some people. Undoubtedly some were giving her backlash because they were part of the cover up. But a lot just didn't want to be confronted with such a serious issue, in such a heavy handed way, in a comedy program.

Truga posted:

fake edit: I see what catholic scandals you're talking about after a short google.

Making fun of idiots and monsters is not the same as turning a blind eye, dark comedy is the only way to cope with the lovely world for many people. It's not everyone's thing, but it's a thing. Definitely still make fun of people, *especially* conservatives, by pointing out how loving absurd/horrible they are.

By all means, if other people feel good about it and it helps them cope that's great. For me personally I basically have had to stop even looking at satire about the current state of things because it just upsets me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

JediTalentAgent posted:

A modern remake of Sherlock Holmes requires subversion.

The Sherlock Home: Dr. John Watson is a best-selling and respected criminal psychiatrist working as a profiler for the FBI who does pro bono work for the controversial Sherlock Home for Mental Health. In reality, he's using a few different patients in the institution to pool their unique mental abilities and illnesses to help him solve cases that he takes the credit for.

Dr. Marie Arthur is a social worker who is trying to get the old Sherlock Home shut down and its patients moved into better facilities. She's suspicious of Watson and his interest in the patients, and finds herself trying to prove he's a fraud and a danger.

Watson and Arthur are played by Hugh Dancy and Caroline Dhavernas, right?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dixville posted:

By all means, if other people feel good about it and it helps them cope that's great. For me personally I basically have had to stop even looking at satire about the current state of things because it just upsets me.

Yeah, I understand that. What I.. uhh... "like" about post 2016 satire is that it's literally just news. I can watch AP twitter feed and laugh at the absurdity of it all.

and in the end that's about all I can do about it :smith:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Dixville posted:

Yeah, I see what you mean. I just don't like the idea of calling people lovely for wanting to tune out the problems in the world, even if just for an hour or whatever, to just laugh or maybe even to find the humor in those same problems. I'm not saying it was good to throw Sinead under the bus for what she did, but I understand the reason for it. At least for some people. Undoubtedly some were giving her backlash because they were part of the cover up. But a lot just didn't want to be confronted with such a serious issue, in such a heavy handed way, in a comedy program.

And I get this too, as well as a fact it's a coping mechanism. TV is my go-to coping thing so I understand that more than anyone.

That last part is my problem though. I get that you don't WANT to be confronted with serious things at inconvenient times, such as when craving light-hearted comedy, but sometimes you are confronted with these things regardless and you don't get to choose the timing, you only get to choose how you react. And it's part of being adult learning how to deal with it instead of saying BOO YOU MADE MY FUN LESS FUN. We've created these arbitrary spaces where we declare it must be X, Y, or Z, and we get super upset when someone breaks that covenant rather than rolling with the punches. It's kind of entitled when you think about it.

Plus, SNL is well-known for its political commentary, so it's not quite fair for people to have been all 'it's a comedy shoooow'.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Sir Lemming posted:

He's still on a 2-week vacation, which tends to be when all this crazy stuff happens (including last Tuesday, AKA the "worst day" of Trump's presidency)

I mean, he's not on a vacation from telling jokes per se, but he's not on TV

Ah, so he's just having another existential crisis in private I assume.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Truga posted:

fake edit: I see what catholic scandals you're talking about after a short google.

Making fun of idiots and monsters is not the same as turning a blind eye, dark comedy is the only way to cope with the lovely world for many people. It's not everyone's thing, but it's a thing. Definitely still make fun of people, *especially* conservatives, by pointing out how loving absurd/horrible they are.

I used to joke that the right would criticize Obama for eating a sandwich.

Then Hannity did exactly that. You can't exaggerate for a joke as the reality is always worse. The right doesn't care about facts at all and no matter what ridiculous thing I came up with in a "no way could they ever believe this" way they'd be actively doing something worse.

In the case of stuff like Catholic child abuse or police brutality it's all too awful to cope with. It's like my mind just shuts off and slack jawed horror sets in. I actually usually like gallows humor but things are so insane I feel like we're living in the joke and somebody else is telling it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dixville posted:

They might not enjoy having their hour of fun interrupted but I bet the kids enjoyed being molested even less so maybe they can suck it up

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dixville posted:

I'm just focused on Madonna, who came out saying O'Connor had gone too far when she'd spent a significant part of her own career in pop music to that point courting controversy with religious groups and Roman Catholics in particular.

As I said, in retrospect, it comes off a bit like she was throwing her under the bus because O'Connor was a more "sincere" provocateur, someone who wanted to raise awareness of a very serious issue with the public rather than just court controversy to boost her album sales. But that's probably just conspiracy theorising on my part. I don't know.

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 17:43 on Aug 30, 2018

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm just focused on Madonna, who came out saying O'Connor had gone too far when she'd spent a significant part of her own career in pop music to that point courting controversy with religious groups and Roman Catholics in particular.

As I said, in retrospect, it comes off a bit like she was throwing her under the bus because O'Connor was a more "sincere" provocateur, someone who wanted to raise awareness of a very serious issue with the public rather than just court controversy to boost her album sales. But that's probably just conspiracy theorising on my part. I don't know.

I actually completely agree with this, very hypocritical on her part.

I guess now that I think about it more it was pretty lovely to basically go after the messenger instead of the actual issue. I think a lot of people have so much trouble accepting something so horrible could be true that they do whatever they have to do to cope. Basically it's a cognitive dissonance issue.

I guess I just don't like that particular attitude, where these people are lovely because they in particular aren't dealing with this big issue and don't want that shoved in their face. Attacking religion, which is such a huge part of life for many, feels very personal and puts people on the defensive. It's hard to get people on your side that way, and affect real change. It's probably more likely to make a lot of people double down and support their side, and make you the enemy. Which is pretty much what happened to Sinead.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Gaunab posted:

Weekend update is always the worst part of SNL.

Gaunab, you ignorant slut.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Weekend Update is the most consistently funny part of SNL. It just ages like that guy who drank from the wrong grail.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Aphrodite posted:

They were part of a rant against a movie he didn't like.

i don't know if you've paid attention to that scandal at all, but part of it is that pedo priest jokes are a well he drew from extremely often, not just in a rant against a movie he didn't like. and, as it turns out, he's got a personal reason for that that i honestly kinda feel bad trying to rag on him for!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i don't know if you've paid attention to that scandal at all, but part of it is that pedo priest jokes are a well he drew from extremely often, not just in a rant against a movie he didn't like. and, as it turns out, he's got a personal reason for that that i honestly kinda feel bad trying to rag on him for!

Yeah that’s really James Gunns biggest issue he seems to think it’s the cleverest poo poo and it’s sad, and no vague personal reason really excuses how lovely he was.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah that’s really James Gunns biggest issue he seems to think it’s the cleverest poo poo and it’s sad, and no vague personal reason really excuses how lovely he was.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Yeah it’s sounds like something Rob would do. Not someone who is supposed to be competent

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The Sinead O'Conner moment aged VERY well but, at the time, no one really understood what the gently caress she was on about. I saw it live. I don't recall her coming out and giving a statement about pedophelia and abuse and all the poo poo we know now.

She just loving tore up a picture of the pope and that was that. Freaked everyone out.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah it’s sounds like something Rob would do. Not someone who is supposed to be competent

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

The Sinead O'Conner moment aged VERY well but, at the time, no one really understood what the gently caress she was on about. I saw it live. I don't recall her coming out and giving a statement about pedophelia and abuse and all the poo poo we know now.

She just loving tore up a picture of the pope and that was that. Freaked everyone out.

I saw it live too and don't recall anything about child abuse, but then again I was a child, and a Protestant one at that. Hating on the Pope was no thing at all.

But man...the following week's episode did not age well at all.

quote:

As part of SNL's apology to the audience, during his opening monologue the following week, host Joe Pesci held up the photo, explaining that he had taped it back together—to huge applause. Pesci also said that if it had been his show, "I would have gave her such a smack."[46]

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CharlestheHammer posted:

All of this is wrong and stupid. And hasn’t age well.

JuiceOne
Sep 5, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

I saw it live too and don't recall anything about child abuse, but then again I was a child, and a Protestant one at that. Hating on the Pope was no thing at all.

[/I]

She did specifically add a line about child abuse to the song - I wasn't familiar with it when I saw it live but I remember that line because it repeats and she enunciated it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
So Conner's problem was messaging. For years I thought that picture thing was just a general "Religion Bad".

Krispy Wafer posted:

quote:

Pesci also said that if it had been his show, "I would have gave her such a smack."[46]

Makes the parts in movies where he gets a bullet to the dome or gets beaten to death with aluminum bats age like wine tho!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

All of this is wrong and stupid. And hasn’t age well.

e: wait you're not Charles poo poo

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Mameluke posted:

Watson and Arthur are played by Hugh Dancy and Caroline Dhavernas, right?

We already wasted all our money stunt-casting anyone who has ever played Sherlock Holmes to have cameos as inmates.

Do you know what $9M gets you? RDJr. for 5 minutes to film all his scenes in one take.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

If anyone wants to know how deep the rabbit hole goes with Madonna, try to find her B-side "Act of Contrition". The woman is insane and has no business criticising Sinead O'Connor about anything.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MariusLecter posted:

So Conner's problem was messaging. For years I thought that picture thing was just a general "Religion Bad".

It’s probably because all those VHI/most shocking tv moments type programs didn’t bother to dive any deeper than that and the immediate response so that’s basically how it was presented or hinted at for forever. Fluff entertainment isn’t going to want to touch Catholic pedophile or abuse accusations with a mile long pole

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Aesop Poprock posted:

It’s probably because all those VHI/most shocking tv moments type programs didn’t bother to dive any deeper than that and the immediate response so that’s basically how it was presented or hinted at for forever. Fluff entertainment isn’t going to want to touch Catholic pedophile or abuse accusations with a mile long pole
Yeah it's probably this. For years I only knew about the thing because of an E! top something tv list countdown that I watched multiple times as a kid. At no point did they mention the pedophilia. As I remember it the talking heads were just talking about how she was crazy and that it was extra weird for her to be critical of Catholicism because she was Irish.

I bet that a lot of those entries would fit nicely into this thread. I vaguely remember a lot of the female entries being called crazy and most of them were either obviously unwell/did a tiny thing wrong/were too assertive while loving horrid sex/violent things with dudes were chuckled at. Boy things sure have changed much.:downs:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it was poo poo like “crazy story about Led Zeppelin underage sex slave shark penetration?? That’s some messed up poo poo lol” followed by “madonna shocked society rolling around in a wedding dress” in a solemn news voice

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know if it's aged badly or extremely well, but there's an episode of Sledge Hammer! where he demonstrates what an over the top, gun-loving lunatic he is by making the insane comment that teachers should be armed.

Class of 1999 seems like the only thing it got wrong was the date. I can totally see Trump pushing for Terminators in the classroom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOM2jgzBBhs

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Sarcopenia posted:

I bet that a lot of those entries would fit nicely into this thread. I vaguely remember a lot of the female entries being called crazy and most of them were either obviously unwell/did a tiny thing wrong/were too assertive while loving horrid sex/violent things with dudes were chuckled at. Boy things sure have changed much.:downs:

Sounds about right. Whenever they do those shocking countdown shows they always have the Britney shaving her head thing, which is pretty horrible since she was a vulnerable woman having a literal breakdown, and it’s placed above stuff like Chris Brown. I always love the insincere tone of these shows as well. The voiceover is always full of faux-outrage.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Speaking of Pesci and SNL, this walk on aged pretty well and always cracks me up

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3w087z

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

I don't know if it's aged badly or extremely well, but there's an episode of Sledge Hammer! where he demonstrates what an over the top, gun-loving lunatic he is by making the insane comment that teachers should be armed.

Class of 1999 seems like the only thing it got wrong was the date. I can totally see Trump pushing for Terminators in the classroom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOM2jgzBBhs

The department of education is developing such a plan right now.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

MariusLecter posted:

You say this, but I've always known it was about childhood sex abuse in the Church - in fact I recall the very way I heard about it was framed as 'Sinead O'Connor went on SNL and tore up a picture of the pope to protest child abuse'. I can't tell you where I heard this, from multiple sources I believe - but clearly she got her message out.

I think the misconception that it was RELIGION BAD comes from the same sort who think Colin Kaepernick kneeling is a disrespect to our troops - that is to say, people who misunderstand because they don't wish to dig further, and then fluff entertainment is happy to reinforce whatever narrative is popular to gain viewers.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 16:25 on Aug 31, 2018

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

StrangersInTheNight posted:

You say this, but I've always known it was about childhood sex abuse in the Church - in fact I recall the very way I heard about it was framed as 'Sinead O'Connor went on SNL and tore up a picture of the pope to protest child abuse'. I can't tell you where I heard this, from multiple sources I believe - but clearly she got her message out.

I think the misconception that it was RELIGION BAD comes from the same sort who think Colin Kaepernick kneeling is a disrespect to our troops - that is to say, people who misunderstand because they don't wish to dig further, and then fluff entertainment is happy to reinforce whatever narrative is popular to gain viewers.

I have to disagree with you here; I am old enough so I would have seen the thing live if I were to live somewhere where they broadcast SNL. My recollection is that our news media got the thing as "O'Connor scuttled her career by doing an unannounced "religion bad, pope especially"-stunt on a live show" and that probably is also the general consensus here.

Anyway, whatever the reason, having a performer who might go on a religion rant mid-gig, even on taped or live show, is not exactly a selling point for an A-list artist.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
What's a little mind blowing is that Sinead did this in '92 and it'd be another decade before the Boston Globe broke it's big church coverup story.

Like for all it's controversy, O'Connor's actions barely moved the needle. That's probably why it doesn't get the credit it deserves.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the thing is, while it hasn't been confirmed outright by him, it's sort of an open secret that Gunn was himself molested by a pedo priest (or at the bare minimum people he was very close to were)

the pedo jokes are pretty bluntly him trying to deal with his trauma through dark humor, not him being a fuckhead for the sake of it

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently Gunn knows some people personally who were victims of pedophile priests or has at least alluded to it.
Oh Jesus Christ that's awful :(

GoutPatrol posted:

I had a dream last night where my rear end turned into a ham and two people slowly ate me until I jumped out of a window to kill myself.

I had a dream the other night that was a horror movie that somehow had a plot twist every ten seconds instead of an actual plot. pretty sure I've seen movies that were like this.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

SEX BURRITO posted:

Sounds about right. Whenever they do those shocking countdown shows they always have the Britney shaving her head thing, which is pretty horrible since she was a vulnerable woman having a literal breakdown, and it’s placed above stuff like Chris Brown. I always love the insincere tone of these shows as well. The voiceover is always full of faux-outrage.

Yeah i never understood at all why people acted like brittney shaving her head was such a huge shocking scandal. Aside from the fact that she was having a meltdown it's her drat head. She can shave it if she wants to. Nobody has any right to dictate what she does with her hair so why is that anybody's business?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember Britney shaving her head was a joke in that terrible Seltzer/Freidberg 300 parody.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

What's a little mind blowing is that Sinead did this in '92 and it'd be another decade before the Boston Globe broke it's big church coverup story.

Like for all it's controversy, O'Connor's actions barely moved the needle. That's probably why it doesn't get the credit it deserves.

Agreed, but I'm telling you, nobody knew what the gently caress she was trying to say. There may have been a lyric in the song but I didn't catch it and neither did anyone else I know. It'd be like someone tearing up a picture of Joe Paterno or Louis CK 15 or 20 years ago.

People basically just took it as some weird bald woman saying "gently caress the pope" with no context at all.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember Britney shaving her head was a joke in that terrible Seltzer/Freidberg 300 parody.

That was part of the 5-10 years of really lovely parody movies that tried to follow up on the Scary Movie franchise that eventually just gave up any pretense of effort and were titled things like "Disaster Movie Parody"

All I remember is that actors like Allyson Hannigan and other semi famous people from late 90s and early 00s tv shows would always show up. Also, maybe John Cena? I don't think any of those movies ever made a single notable impression on anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
They made an impression notable enough that many people began avoiding comedy movies just in case it was from them.