Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

I wouldn't have a more subtle singer singing King Diamond either

See that's the thing, I don't mind Messiah when he's singing about the Goat of Mendeeeees in a song inspired by Raiders of the Lost Ark. You don't need subtlety for that. But Leif Edling tried to circle the square and have corny poo poo alongside earnest, emotional and ostensibly religious poo poo, and Messiah just doesn't work for the latter.

Mercyful Fate never had that scope problem because they zeroed in on the corny poo poo, and King Diamond doesn't do falsettos 100% of the time, so I don't really see the comparison.

this is a terrible snipe, probably the worst I've ever done. gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no
The Burning Cold is a reliably good Omnium Gatherum album, if you're the sort of person who likes Omnium Gatherum (I am)

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

OpaqueEcho posted:

The Burning Cold is a reliably good Omnium Gatherum album, if you're the sort of person who likes Omnium Gatherum (I am)

I do miss the moodiness of their Beyond sound, but Burning Cold is a marked improvement over Grey Heavens, and I even prefer it over New World Shadows.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

pospysyl posted:

I do miss the moodiness of their Beyond sound, but Burning Cold is a marked improvement over Grey Heavens, and I even prefer it over New World Shadows.

New World Shadows has been my go-to OG album for years, but I like that TBG seems a little less monolithic in its production approach.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Smirr posted:

See that's the thing, I don't mind Messiah when he's singing about the Goat of Mendeeeees in a song inspired by Raiders of the Lost Ark. You don't need subtlety for that. But Leif Edling tried to circle the square and have corny poo poo alongside earnest, emotional and ostensibly religious poo poo, and Messiah just doesn't work for the latter.

Mercyful Fate never had that scope problem because they zeroed in on the corny poo poo, and King Diamond doesn't do falsettos 100% of the time, so I don't really see the comparison.

this is a terrible snipe, probably the worst I've ever done. gently caress
Maybe that's at the root of our difference in perception. I don't know that it's necessarily earnest or emotional, just that the eternal damnation/salvation of the soul, demonic powers, and humanity as a battleground for the unending war between forces of good and evil are all things that are doom metal as gently caress

e: has anything in Leif Edling's career been subtle?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

Maybe that's at the root of our difference in perception. I don't know that it's necessarily earnest or emotional, just that the eternal damnation/salvation of the soul, demonic powers, and humanity as a battleground for the unending war between forces of good and evil are all things that are doom metal as gently caress

e: has anything in Leif Edling's career been subtle?

Not really. I got to thinking about Black Stone Wielder from the debut, which is my second favorite Candlemass song, and it's a corny as gently caress, religious-going-on-blasphemous song about the infant Jesus becoming a wizard or whatever. And still Johan (or whatever the first singer's name was) manages to sell it as... well, doom metal as gently caress. And I think he does it by easing off the gas at appropriate points, which Messiah never does.

I think I'm grasping in the dark for the right English word for what I mean. It's not range, because Messiah has that in spades, but more like versatility. Like, imagine Hallowed Be Thy Name except Bruce does the whole song at the intensity he does the last couple of verses. That's what Messiah sounds like to me

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
Candlemass never had a bad singer, just different. Johans voice is a lot darker and fits better with the style they play imo. If you listen to Messiah sing something of their first album it sounds so off to me. It’s subjective but A Sorcerer’s Pledge might be my favorite.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Omnium Gatherum is great but they have such a terrible name. What other bands are good with stupid names?

Carnation comes to mind. Edgelordy stuff like Deicide or Thy Art Is Murder is just standard metal fare, I'm looking for the dumbest names u got on actual good bands.

I guess Goatwhore is kinda goofy.

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 1, 2018

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Party Cannon is either incredibly stupid or absolutely brilliant

Analepsy is pretty stupid

e: the entire slam genre, basically

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

kumba posted:

Party Cannon is ... absolutely brilliant

Gonna go with this because in a genre full of monochromatic, illegible logos they have this:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
goatwhore is a cool rear end name

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Smirr posted:

Yes, but Nightfall has Messiah on it. Hot take: Messiah is a bad singer. Yes, he's technically proficient, but he vibratoes every song to death. Samarithan is my favorite Candlemass song but he almost ruins it by singing it like THIS!!!!!!!! when a more subtle approach would work better. But he only has that one approach.

He's the most epic fat guy ever seen in doom metal, which counteracts his singing not being technically proficient enough or whatever

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The best fat guy in metal is Karl Sanders

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Omnium Gatherum is great but they have such a terrible name. What other bands are good with stupid names?

Carnation comes to mind. Edgelordy stuff like Deicide or Thy Art Is Murder is just standard metal fare, I'm looking for the dumbest names u got on actual good bands.

wait what's 'edgelordy' about deicide??

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

COOL CORN posted:

The best fat guy in metal is Karl Sanders Gene Hoglan

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

COOL CORN posted:

The best fat guy in metal is Karl Sanders

I'm kinda partial to Primitive Man's 2 cool fat guys

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What about that fat bass player from carpathian forest

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Goatpenis
The new blasphemy goatchrist supergroup blasphomstagoatachrist

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

COOL CORN posted:

The best fat guy in metal is Michael Romeo

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Seriously though the best fat guy is Jon Oliwa.

I miss Savatage :(

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the best fat guy in metal is old rob halford

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
No love for Kirk Windstein?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The best fat guy in metal is udo dirkschneider

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

A human heart posted:

wait what's 'edgelordy' about deicide??

It means "killing God", it's about as edgelordy as you can get

I'm just talking about the name, I loving love Deicide.

And Karl Sanders* is not just the best fat guy in metal, he's one of the nicest loving people I've ever met and genuinely appreciates his fans in a really down to earth, sincere way. He seems truly humbled by how much people love his music.

* Google Keyboard wanted to autocomplete that as "Karl Sandwich"

E: yes I am a bit of a fanboy and if you look at my posts in this thread there are definitely a few where I gush about how cool he is

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 1, 2018

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvOfQ9svmPU

god this loving video

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Snowy posted:

The best fat guy in metal is udo dirkschneider

:yeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wbmMdImzXg

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Byron Stroud is a p cool fat metal bassist.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

No clue if he's cool as a person or not but Debauchery's bassist is a big ol' boy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc0a_bJZ8mc

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I don't know why but this makes me giggle

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

joylessdivision posted:

I don't know why but this makes me jiggle

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

For the longest time I didn't bother with EYEHATEGOD because I just assumed they are some sort of screamo metalcore because of their name

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6WmOKw8iO4
I love this version of a sorcerer's pledge, in the album it just fades out but here they go full on power metal with it

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bongripper is a terrible name that doesn’t fit their music and it kept me from getting into them for a long time.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ride for Revenge are very cool but the name does sound kind of like it could be a metalcore band

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Black Pussy is a loving stupid cringe inducing band name

quote:

I’m fed up with being called a Nazi and a racist and a sexist because some people don’t like my band name," he continues. "I’m none of those things. My music is none of those things. My band members are none of those things. The reality is, it’s the other side that are those things. Dana [Sims] is siding with the sexists and racists."

Does Hill not understand why people are upset about the name, or does he just not care about their reactions? "No, I don’t understand why people are upset with the name. The name is ambiguous, a multi-entendre. It’s art, and art is ambiguous—at least my art is. And it’s rock and roll, real basic poo poo. We’re just trying to have a good time. These identity politics… I don’t get it. It has nothing to do with my band."

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2018/02/28/25858810/why-did-dubiously-named-rock-band-black-pussys-seattle-show-get-cancelled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JigmAqgc4k

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

To Battle posted:

Candlemass never had a bad singer, just different. Johans voice is a lot darker and fits better with the style they play imo. If you listen to Messiah sing something of their first album it sounds so off to me. It’s subjective but A Sorcerer’s Pledge might be my favorite.
That's fair, Johan is a baritone and Messiah is a tenor. His baritone range is going to sound super weird, like Ripper Owens trying to sing Matt Barlow stuff

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Just found out I missed Mob 47 playing a squat in NYC :argh: I guess this isn’t the thread for it but I don’t know of a better one

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIwfEGTGlAM

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Macabre Omen ftw. they took so long to put this album out that I'm not hopeful for anything new soon though..

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

Snowy posted:

Just found out I missed Mob 47 playing a squat in NYC :argh: I guess this isn’t the thread for it but I don’t know of a better one

maybe you would be interested in a taste of maximum suffering
https://hydrahead.bandcamp.com/album/maximum-suffering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Elrobot posted: