Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was literally spend 50$ on ppl antibiotics or spend 20 on fish antibiotics and food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Oh my god, the goon doctor.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3866683

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

That dude just casually mentions his massive opioid addiction

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I LOVE that his addiction to multiple drugs wasn't really a prime consideration.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
- exercise (seems to help all symptoms but I've barely done it)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Omg the posts in that thread. Did some guy just say read the internet instead of seeing a doctor ????

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

- exercise (seems to help all symptoms but I've barely done it)

america.txt

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I thought it was a joke post at first tbh.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
First off: we are working with a lawyer but they are absolutely poo poo at answering the phone and/or returning our calls. We haven't paid them anything and supposedly they will get a percentage of the back SSI from the filing date. Posting for advice because it's time sensitive and schedules make going down to the law office difficult due to location but I may just need to take time off work to do so.

My sister-in-law recently got approved for SSI for being mentally disabled. She lives with my wife and I, and I've been taking care of all of her expenses, needs, food, etc, other than her medical needs, which is Medicaid.

To finalize the approval, we need to go to the SSI office with documentation for rent and expenses. But... we haven't been charging her rent because she has no income and her name isn't on any utilities because she has no income. As for taxes I've been claiming her as a dependent because she has no income and we've been feeding and housing her. Letter says please respond within 5 days (received Tuesday, left voicemails with the lawyer but no response), and she will be denied if we don't respond before September 7th. The lawyers and neuropsychologist mentioned setting her up as a "separate household" but it was a vague concept and we can't recall if they advised setting it up before or after ssi is approved

Do I do exactly what the paperwork says and bring my tax return and all household expenses, write a letter saying she's been living with us room and board free because she has no income, or do I make some bill chart stating I expected her to pay rent (at the approved ssi rate for my area) but have waived it because of no income?

I'll try and run this by the lawyer before we do anything but I guess I want an idea of what we should/can do if we can't get a hold of them/office is closed for an extended holiday/they have vanished from the surface of the earth.

She worked at one point, workplace closed 8 years ago but no unemployment insurance due to her low wages and no SSI because we were dumb and didn't know about ssi really.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Sorry about your situation, but nobody is going to advise you here on a technical issue, specific to your case, where if they give you the wrong advice (because there are things they don't know or you're mistaken about) it could gently caress you.

Drive to your lawyer's office maybe and park it in the lobby until you get to speak to someone?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Define being an absolute poo poo at answering the phone and/or returning our calls.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

blarzgh posted:

Sorry about your situation, but nobody is going to advise you here on a technical issue, specific to your case, where if they give you the wrong advice (because there are things they don't know or you're mistaken about) it could gently caress you.

Drive to your lawyer's office maybe and park it in the lobby until you get to speak to someone?
Yeah, about what I figured, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

euphronius posted:

Define being an absolute poo poo at answering the phone and/or returning our calls.
They call, leave a voicemail one day because we missed their one call, and for the next month or two we are calling ranging from every other day to multiple times a day leaving voicemails on their phone system (which, of course the person we deal with doesn't have their own extension, so we leave voicemails for the default mailbox and/or someone we picked out of the directory in hopes of getting a hold of someone) and then one magical day they try calling again right as we are holding the phone or we call and ONE TIME out of 30+ someone actually picks up. We've tried right after they open, mid day, before closing, but no luck. One time we called just after they did and was directed to "Our office is closed" voicemail.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Fire Storm posted:

for the next month or two we are calling ranging from every other day to multiple times a day leaving voicemails

yikes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A month without a callback sounds abnormal.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

euphronius posted:

A month without a callback sounds abnormal.
It wouldn't surprise me to find out they aren't getting the voicemail for some reason and they think we're just blowing them off.

I'll try to get there tomorrow before they close, and if not or they are closed/on vacation, I'll send a physical letter and follow up next week.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m not talking about your situation but generally in social security cases nothing happens for YEARS and the lawyers are handling many many cases and answering questions from clients about cases that are not happening right now is .... hard

Not saying this is happening in your case . Just a general statement .

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If you really want to throw down, "failure to return phone calls" is, as I understand it, the leading source of attorney bar complaints. If you go that route though you'll probably need to find a new lawyer, which might be a good thing to do first anyway if they're going month+ without returning calls.

For general social security questions you can call the social security administration toll free CS number, 1 (800) 772-1213.

You sound like you're running into the deemed income / in-kind support rule with SSI. You can find general info about that rule here, but it may be hard to process without an attorney helping out:

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v68n4/v68n4p15.html

EDIT: better link: https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-living-ussi.htm

Every state has a "protection and advocacy organization" that can act as free legal aid / free legal assistance for people with disabilities who have disability-related legal issues. They don't always handle SSI issues (you need special training and certification to practice with social security administration issues, and the private bar is generally happy to take these cases anyway) but they may be able to help -- perhaps by referring you to a better, more responsible / responsive alternate local attorney. Since I don't know what state you're in I can't refer you to your local protection and advocacy org, but a quick google for that phrase and your state should find it.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 30, 2018

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Okay as an aquarist who has dropped some cash on fish meds, what the gently caress are people using that poo poo for on themselves? The measurements are usually set for GALLONS of water!

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Okay as an aquarist who has dropped some cash on fish meds, what the gently caress are people using that poo poo for on themselves? The measurements are usually set for GALLONS of water!

200 lbs * 70% water / 8.34 lbs/gallon = 16.5 gallons in me, dose accordingly!

Inclemency
Feb 15, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

They just eyeball it.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

euphronius posted:

I’m not talking about your situation but generally in social security cases nothing happens for YEARS and the lawyers are handling many many cases and answering questions from clients about cases that are not happening right now is .... hard

Not saying this is happening in your case . Just a general statement .
Oh yeah, I figure it's lots of cases, old tech, and running in the basement of an old hospital turned into a public outreach place, so I give them a lot of leeway. I have my doubts that their system actually records any calls.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

**Good general advice**
THANK YOU! I had no idea where to look, really.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cowslips Warren posted:

Drug scale and Google. I used it because I couldn't afford the copay on amoxicillin so I bought fish meds and had to figure out it's concentration and everything. Because 30 250mg cap for 8$ helps a lot when people amoxicillin costs 50$

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Welcome to America, life sucks, you never win, and you're not allowed to talk about it. Just suffer in silence citizen.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Holy poo poo.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

Drug scale and Google. I used it because I couldn't afford the copay on amoxicillin so I bought fish meds and had to figure out it's concentration and everything. Because 30 250mg cap for 8$ helps a lot when people amoxicillin costs 50$

gently caress I was thinking like tetracycline or something. Makes sense though.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Fun time:

So what do you charge This Guy with?

If you're the Indiana DA, the answer is __________nothing!_____________

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

blarzgh posted:

Fun time:

Violation of the Indiana Administrative Code

quote:

360 IAC 1-1-12 Distribution of seed; labeling required Authority: IC 15-15-1-27 Affected: IC 15-15-1-32
Sec. 12. Labeling of Seed Distributed to Wholesalers. After seed has been processed, it must be labeled before distribution to any person, including a wholesaler. Labeling of seed supplied to a wholesaler may be by invoice or by an analysis tag attached to the invoice if each bag or other container is clearly identified by a lot number stenciled on the container or if the seed is in bulk. Each bag that is not so identified must carry complete labeling

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Turtlicious posted:

Not trying to be obnoxious here, but there are many medications available for free through some large chains like Meijer (midwest Walmart-like place) and big chain grocery stores like Publix, amoxicillin included. It can be worth your while to grab the GoodRx app which can give you regionally specific prices as well as coupons that can make things like epipens almost free. Veterinary stuff isn’t held to nearly the same quality standards so you may not be adequately treating whatever is going on.

Cowslips Warren posted:

gently caress I was thinking like tetracycline or something. Makes sense though.

Pfft. Any real aquarist won’t use tetracycline. You treat fish with minnowcycline.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Devor posted:

nice

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Devor posted:

:golfclap:

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

blarzgh posted:

Fun time:

I'm actually curious what you'd charge here. It doesn't seem to meet the level of rape or sexual misconduct, but Google seems to indicate that there isn't a criminal malpractice here since no one died?

It feels like that HAS to be a crime somehow.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
It’s gonna be a whole lotta alimony claims, at least.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blarzgh posted:

Fun time:

The article says he plead guilty to two felonies? I know they are lying to investigators, but tax evasion and al capone and all that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tibalt posted:

I'm actually curious what you'd charge here. It doesn't seem to meet the level of rape or sexual misconduct, but Google seems to indicate that there isn't a criminal malpractice here since no one died?

Assault, unwanted sexual contact, fraud, etc.

Also child support not alimony. Unpaid child support.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Tibalt posted:

Sounds like rape by deception to me, but I have no idea if that's on the books in Indiana.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Assault, unwanted sexual contact, fraud, etc.

Also child support not alimony. Unpaid child support.

My bad. It’s the same word for both in my country.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

nm posted:

The article says he plead guilty to two felonies? I know they are lying to investigators, but tax evasion and al capone and all that.

Probably the only ones the statute of limitation hadn't run out on.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
Hey all, just had an issue rise it's head today and I'm not sure if I have any grounds for a suit or even if I do if it's a good idea.

I live and work in New York City for a city agency. I am also a drilling Marine Corps Reservist. Apparently I belong to a union at my job.

I was put on active orders from May to Aug (80 days on orders total). Prior to leaving I submitted a written notice to the timekeeping department using the form provided by my job. Once I was on active duty and had received my orders I sent a copy to my supervisor. While I was away my manager filled out my time sheets and submitted them to timekeeping. I received my full salary the entire time I was gone.

Today I get an email from the timekeeping folks saying that they're missing all of my time sheets from that period, that I only rate 22 days of paid military leave, and that they never received my notice or my orders. I pressed them about this and they kept changing their story as I called out inaccuracies before finally saying they wouldn't answer any more questions. I also asked them why they hadn't mentioned the 22 day limit when I had specifically asked them about military leave previously. They also refused to provide me with the policy of the 22 day limit saying something along the lines of "You have to talk to labor relations, we only enforce policy."

As a result of all this they're not going to pay me for the past 2 weeks of work and made reference to somehow reconciling the difference in pay later.

Obviously I'm super pissed about them loving up, not catching it for 4 months, then coming at me like I did something wrong, docking my pay, and I assume eventually asking me to pay back 3 months salary.

Finally my question: Assuming this policy exists (which it probably does) and they never informed me about it even when asked, is there any way to avoid having to pay back the money or having them dock my pay since the error seems to be mostly theirs? Or am I screwed because big organization so gently caress you?

I'm going to try and reach out to HR and the DOL tomorrow to see what they say, maybe a lawyer as well just to see what they say.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

DaNerd posted:

Hey all, just had an issue rise it's head today and I'm not sure if I have any grounds for a suit or even if I do if it's a good idea.

I live and work in New York City for a city agency. I am also a drilling Marine Corps Reservist. Apparently I belong to a union at my job.

I was put on active orders from May to Aug (80 days on orders total). Prior to leaving I submitted a written notice to the timekeeping department using the form provided by my job. Once I was on active duty and had received my orders I sent a copy to my supervisor. While I was away my manager filled out my time sheets and submitted them to timekeeping. I received my full salary the entire time I was gone.

Today I get an email from the timekeeping folks saying that they're missing all of my time sheets from that period, that I only rate 22 days of paid military leave, and that they never received my notice or my orders. I pressed them about this and they kept changing their story as I called out inaccuracies before finally saying they wouldn't answer any more questions. I also asked them why they hadn't mentioned the 22 day limit when I had specifically asked them about military leave previously. They also refused to provide me with the policy of the 22 day limit saying something along the lines of "You have to talk to labor relations, we only enforce policy."

As a result of all this they're not going to pay me for the past 2 weeks of work and made reference to somehow reconciling the difference in pay later.

Obviously I'm super pissed about them loving up, not catching it for 4 months, then coming at me like I did something wrong, docking my pay, and I assume eventually asking me to pay back 3 months salary.

Finally my question: Assuming this policy exists (which it probably does) and they never informed me about it even when asked, is there any way to avoid having to pay back the money or having them dock my pay since the error seems to be mostly theirs? Or am I screwed because big organization so gently caress you?

I'm going to try and reach out to HR and the DOL tomorrow to see what they say, maybe a lawyer as well just to see what they say.

I believe you can talk to someone at the base who deals with stuff like this and they will scare the poo poo out of your HR department into fixing everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

daslog posted:

I believe you can talk to someone at the base who deals with stuff like this and they will scare the poo poo out of your HR department into fixing everything.

I called the ESGR that handles USERRA stuff but since they aren't required to pay me for that time there was nothing they could do really.

Also I don't think my command is competent enough to pull that off.