Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

fatman1683 posted:

My wife has been a portrait and wedding photographer for awhile, but she's looking very seriously at transitioning to video to do documentaries and short films.

She currently uses a 1D Mk III and a 5D Mk II, both of which predate the rise of widespread DSLR video and so are lacking in a lot of modern features, so I'm looking to upgrade her. I figure we can get about $1000 total if we sell both of her current bodies, so that's the arbitrary budget I'm setting for the new body.

At present I'm torn between getting a used C100 so she can do proper professional video, or a new video-friendly but lower-end DSLR, something like an 80D. I'm sure there are other options out there so I'm open to suggestions, but I'd prefer to stay with Canon (or at least the EF system) so she can use her existing lenses for awhile.

What lenses does she have? You should get well over 1k for those bodies unless they are wrecked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

8th-snype posted:

What lenses does she have? You should get well over 1k for those bodies unless they are wrecked.

From looking on eBay, I think I can reliably get ~400 for the 1D and ~600 for the 5D. They're in good shape, but they're just not all that desirable anymore it seems. If there's a better place to try and sell them let me know.

For lenses, she has an 80-200 f/2.8 L, a 20-35 f/2.8L, and a 28-80 f/2.8-4 L. I can think of use cases for all of these for documentary video, and would probably add a couple of fast primes.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

fatman1683 posted:

If there's a better place to try and sell them let me know.

Literally anywhere else IMO, eBay fees (plus Paypal's) make it pretty unattractive as a platform to sell on, and I've heard that as a seller you can get screwed by unscupulous buyers. Personally the only time I'd use eBay is if I had something relatively rare or niche that it'd otherwise be tough to find a buyer for. I think the last thing I sold on eBay was my busted 70-200 f/4 L five years ago. I buy stuff on there all the time, however.

Craigslist (or local equivalent if you're overseas) is my first choice, Facebook Marketplace also seems to have some potential there. For online, you could try our own Buy and Sell thread.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Literally anywhere else IMO, eBay fees (plus Paypal's) make it pretty unattractive as a platform to sell on, and I've heard that as a seller you can get screwed by unscupulous buyers. Personally the only time I'd use eBay is if I had something relatively rare or niche that it'd otherwise be tough to find a buyer for. I think the last thing I sold on eBay was my busted 70-200 f/4 L five years ago. I buy stuff on there all the time, however.

Craigslist (or local equivalent if you're overseas) is my first choice, Facebook Marketplace also seems to have some potential there. For online, you could try our own Buy and Sell thread.

Ok, I'll see what I can do locally. This is kind of a small town, but that might work in my favor. Thanks.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

fatman1683 posted:

From looking on eBay, I think I can reliably get ~400 for the 1D and ~600 for the 5D. They're in good shape, but they're just not all that desirable anymore it seems. If there's a better place to try and sell them let me know.

For lenses, she has an 80-200 f/2.8 L, a 20-35 f/2.8L, and a 28-80 f/2.8-4 L. I can think of use cases for all of these for documentary video, and would probably add a couple of fast primes.

Whoops I miss read your post, I thought that was a 5d3 not a 1d3. I ask about lenses because if sell them as well you can open a lot of options.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

8th-snype posted:

Whoops I miss read your post, I thought that was a 5d3 not a 1d3. I ask about lenses because if sell them as well you can open a lot of options.

Yeah, the lenses she has are pretty useful though. We're shopping used 5D3s now, and when she's ready to move up from there I'll definitely be looking at a lens system change.

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
I'm going to the Canadian Rockies later this month, any recommendations for a lens I should look at for landscapes? I have a Rebel t5 and the Tamron 18-55 lens. I'm not going to worry about wildlife as I'm going with family and doing mainly touristy stuff.

Budget is less than $500.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sleepytime posted:

I'm going to the Canadian Rockies later this month, any recommendations for a lens I should look at for landscapes? I have a Rebel t5 and the Tamron 18-55 lens. I'm not going to worry about wildlife as I'm going with family and doing mainly touristy stuff.

The Tamron 18-55.

There you go, saved you $500.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

55-250 is stm is another good option

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Seems like the EF-S 10-18 is often mentioned as a relatively good, reasonably priced lens for crop sensor Canons (don’t have one myself yet). That wide-ish focal range might be really good for shooting mountain scenes.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The Sigma or Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 is a great general purpose walking about lens if you don't need more than a little bit of reach. Either can be had for about $300.

Helen Highwater fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 3, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sleepytime posted:

spog posted:

The Tamron 18-55.

Wait, did you mean you have the kit 18-55?

I misread that as the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 - which is indeed the better lens

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I just came back from Yukon and brought a bag of primes with me (28, 50, 105, 200) with no zooms and wish I had just brought my plastic 28-85mm and a macro lens instead. Changing up lenses and carrying around a bag of heavy fast primes got old pretty fast when trudging through forests and up and down gravel dredge tailings. The scenery was gorgeous (The trip from Whitehorse to Skagway and the Top of the World/Taylor highway is worth putting on your bucket list) but there was just as much incredible stuff at foot level as well. Used the 50mm most of the time and the 28mm every now and then, mostly as a poor substitute for a macro since the Nikkor AI-S can focus real close.

I'd just keep the zoom you have and invest in a good tripod instead. Used the poo poo out of my tripod.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Sleepytime posted:

Gonna second sticking with your current lens as I spent a week at the cabin this summer with my 50mm and 10-20mm and I rarely found myself reaching for the wide angle unless I was after a very specific look. I keep the 50mm attached at almost all times and it worked just fine for landscapes.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FYI to those that may want it, Blackrapid is doing 15% off everything through Sept 8th with code BRLABOR18

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

Soiled Meat
My bad, I have the Tamron 17-50. I will look into the EF-S 10-18 but most likely stick with what I have and look at tripods or a backpack.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All you "need" is the sharpest lens you can afford in the 17-55 range. If you got room in the bag, 70-200 is the next obvious thing to shoot for. Then try for a 10-whatever ultrawide if you got money left over.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Got an old screw mount Canon 50/1.8, glass looks good but boy is the aperture ring stiff, and the chrome is pretty dirty. Any tips for lubricating the aperture ring, and for polishing it up? WD-40 is my go-to for anything stiff, but I dunno if that could damage the lens. I've got not clue how to polish up the outside of it, chrome polish and a toothbrush maybe??

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I’ve had good luck cleaning up chrome with fine steel wool. Is there a chance polish could further gum up the works?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Don't put WD-40 anywhere near your camera or lens. Evaporates from it will end up coating your lens and getting all kinds of poo poo stuck to it.

If the aperture ring is stiff, it's almost certainly because the helicoid grease has hardened. You may be able to fix it by bagging it up securely and dropping it in hot but not boiling water for a while. Ultimately the only way to properly fix it is to take the barrel apart, remove the old grease and replace it with new molybdenum or lithium grease. It's not as tricky as you might think and there area lot of walkthroughs for various similar lenses on YouTube.

As for cleaning the chrome, I'd use a bit of steel wool or fine grit sandpaper to restore it. I certainly wouldn't put any kind of chemical cleaner on it.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Helen Highwater posted:

It's not as tricky as you might think...

Mark where the helicoids come apart or you will know true misery. Ask me about empirically determining the correct place to rethread the helicoid on a Helios.

Wadding metal polish (one of many brands) is great at polishing up bare metal.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 5, 2018

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Sauer posted:

Mark where the helicoids come apart or you will know true misery. Ask me about empirically determining the correct place to rethread the helicoid on a Helios.

Wadding metal polish (one of many brands) is great at polishing up bare metal.

Thanks for the heads up, any other pitfalls I should look out for?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
If you are taking apart a lens, do it on a big white towel. Clean the floor and other nearby surfaces before you start. Itty-bitty springs and ball-bearings and other tiny parts WILL come flying out and go SOMEWHERE, you need to maximize your chances of finding the drat thing.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

That quite frankly sounds hellish.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

Thanks, both of these look pretty good! I'll see what would work out the best based on price and availability.
Does anyone have a 3 Legged Thing (lol... never heard of them before)? I just saw they're supposed to have a new compact one, though I probably wouldn't be getting it due to ABS plastic locks, which sounds like would break immediately. https://www.dpreview.com/news/5773655418/3-legged-thing-launches-the-affordable-patti-tripod
I was going to order the MyFoto mentioned ITT but Amazon won't ship it to a locker and I don't have a permanent address in the US to ship it to. However a guy at a local photo store recommended the Vanguard VEO 2 235AB instead. I played around with it and it felt pretty good, has anyone used one of these before?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Sauer posted:

I just came back from Yukon and brought a bag of primes with me (28, 50, 105, 200) with no zooms and wish I had just brought my plastic 28-85mm and a macro lens instead. Changing up lenses and carrying around a bag of heavy fast primes got old pretty fast

Y'all should stop listening to this one dude in here that said "always carry all of your equipment" lol i can't think of a worse thing

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I'm the half assed attempt at catching the thing

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

bobmarleysghost posted:

I'm the half assed attempt at catching the thing
I'm the inability to gain any traction with my third leg.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Why whole rear end something when half rear end will do?

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

bobmarleysghost posted:

Y'all should stop listening to this one dude in here that said "always carry all of your equipment" lol i can't think of a worse thing

That sounds like the dude in the Best Photographer thread who wanted to buy rent a ton of super specific lenses for his trip. Guy probably would have needed a whole SUV to carry everything he had planned on bringing.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
For any Aus goons,

Nikon's got some actually decent cash-back promos starting today.

The 70-200 2.8 FL E that I've been eyeing off is $3289 retail, and is $500 cash back at the moment, making it cheaper than the old series 2.

Don't know how long it lasts.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

bobmarleysghost posted:

That was me. I guess I failed to mention the obvious upper limits on my "all the gear, all the time" advice. Silly me.

pseudorandom posted:

That sounds like the dude in the Best Photographer thread who wanted to buy rent a ton of super specific lenses for his trip. Guy probably would have needed a whole SUV to carry everything he had planned on bringing.

That was not me. I've never rented a lens, nor ever given it serious consideration. I shoot Pentax. Please begin the mockery for that now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

I shoot Pentax. Please begin the mockery for that now.

are you k-rock irl

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
You'll get swole luggin around a Spotmatic and all the Super-Takumars.

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

Soiled Meat
I am looking for a camera bag / backpack that would work as a carry on and for light hiking. I'd want it to be weatherproof but I won't be doing anything beyond day hikes. I've seen the Amazon basics DSLR backpack recommended on here but some of the reviewers on there are complaining that the zippers don't stay zipped and are plastic.

Does anybody have experience with it? Any recommendations? The price is nice on the Amazon basics but I'd be willing to spend $100-150 if the Amazon one has quality issues.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Sleepytime posted:

I am looking for a camera bag / backpack that would work as a carry on and for light hiking. I'd want it to be weatherproof but I won't be doing anything beyond day hikes. I've seen the Amazon basics DSLR backpack recommended on here but some of the reviewers on there are complaining that the zippers don't stay zipped and are plastic.

Does anybody have experience with it? Any recommendations? The price is nice on the Amazon basics but I'd be willing to spend $100-150 if the Amazon one has quality issues.

How much gear are you trying to bring with you and do you want extra space for other non-photo things?

I picked up a Vanguard Alta Rise 48 and I like it quite a bit. Its a bit heavy but it is really well padded and has a lot of space for photo stuff and extra room for non photo stuff. Also has a quick access slot so that you can grab your camera quickly. There are more hiking oriented bags and more travel/padded bags depending on what you plan to use it for the most. You could always also look into the padded cubes so that any backpack can haul your camera stuff. The Alta rise series have a few different sizes depending on what you want.

Verman fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 10, 2018

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

Soiled Meat
I will have my body, 2 or 3 lenses, and then batteries, charger, and memory. The Alta Rise looks like what I'm looking for.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you feel a need to do due diligence and check the competition, scope the Dakine photographer pack. I love my 33L.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I bought the Vanguard Havana 48 earlier this year and it's a nice travel-friendly backpack. About the same size as a regular daypack with configurable storage options. It also looks like a regular backpack not a photobag which can help with security a bit (unless you have a tripod strapped to it obviously).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Y'all ready to be gearshamed?

Gear Thread: Post the most complicated, expensive flash systems u got