Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there be a poll?
This poll is closed.
Yes 125 49.02%
No 130 50.98%
Total: 255 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hot-drat! Thanks Knorth! :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm reading crit of the queen and Bowie albums after I listen to them and some dude in the 70s heard Jazz and decided to proclaim Queen the first fascist rock band over it.

Wierd.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think I like the 80s synth pop queen of flash Gordon and hot space more than the critically acclaimed 70s stuff.

Just cause it's more fun.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

I'm reading crit of the queen and Bowie albums after I listen to them and some dude in the 70s heard Jazz and decided to proclaim Queen the first fascist rock band over it.

Wierd.

Mustapha is a really cool song

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

Mustapha is a really cool song

I like that more of that jazz has a best hits sampler of the entire album right before the final chorus, to remind you what you listened to.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Jazz is just this really chill fun album too, let me entertain you is just this goofy song about performing life that's all positivity and refs let us cling together

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

And dont stop me now is the breakout Freddie vocal performance to me, more so than bohemian

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Stexils posted:

delivered by spiderman on the ps2

that pizza is still recognizable and not liquefied so spider-man definitely didn't deliver it

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

And dont stop me now is the breakout Freddie vocal performance to me, more so than bohemian

I agree.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sucks when you can't feel good about leaving work at 7 PM because you know there's something coming later that you'll have to do at home.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sharkopath posted:

Jazz is just this really chill fun album too, let me entertain you is just this goofy song about performing life that's all positivity and refs let us cling together
I love that album like Mike Patton loves making most other singers feel inadequate.

chumbler posted:

Sucks when you can't feel good about leaving work at 7 PM because you know there's something coming later that you'll have to do at home.
That sucks. Taking work home is a thing I detest like few. I feel you. :(

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i left at 2 today and won't be back for an entire week. catch me on tuesday already forgetting any guilt that my coworkers are pulling double duty to cover for me

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dogsicle posted:

i left at 2 today and won't be back for an entire week. catch me on tuesday already forgetting any guilt that my coworkers are pulling double duty to cover for me
Been there, dogsicle. It's what happens when people compliment you for being "the reliable one". :(:hf::(

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

dogsicle posted:

I'm covering for two people this weekend and labor day and it's going to suck.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Really good interview with the Kase-san director and producer. Some insight into how the project got mad, some talk about movies, even a bit of talk about Fate/Stay Night since Sato was one of the lead writers on the 2006 anime adaptation. Interviewer asks decent questions and Sato's game, so it's a pretty interesting piece if you enjoyed the Kase-san film. They even get into some of the western films that inspired it.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Diebuster is a little rowdier than Gunbuster lol. Getting a little bit of whiplash after episode 1

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

klapman posted:

Diebuster is a little rowdier than Gunbuster lol. Getting a little bit of whiplash after episode 1
*rubs hands together gainaxly*

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

why cant it be tuesday

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

why cant it be tuesday
BECAUSE IT'S FRIDAY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_OO3J7BbSg&t=4s

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
The first two episodes didn't do it for me too much, but Episode 3 was pretty nice. Action is good, but without a fair amount of time devoted to characters, I find that I can only appreciate it on a real objective level. Like I sit there going "yeah, beautiful and fluid animation, it's quite good" and I have an enjoyable time, but I don't find myself swept along with the story. Episode 3 sat back a little bit and gave Tycho a lot of characterization, and in doing so gave everyone else some room to shine too. I'm a lot more interested now.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

klapman posted:

The first two episodes didn't do it for me too much, but Episode 3 was pretty nice. Action is good, but without a fair amount of time devoted to characters, I find that I can only appreciate it on a real objective level. Like I sit there going "yeah, beautiful and fluid animation, it's quite good" and I have an enjoyable time, but I don't find myself swept along with the story. Episode 3 sat back a little bit and gave Tycho a lot of characterization, and in doing so gave everyone else some room to shine too. I'm a lot more interested now.

homeless snail posted:

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
What

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah ep 4's real good

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

homeless snail posted:

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Wark Say posted:

Or the Pizza Character Aligment:

What's meant to be going on with the LE pizza here?

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Gunbuster/Diebuster spoilers

Just wanna say first off that this isn't a condemnation of the show, or even really my final thoughts on it or anything. This is all just first off the mark initial impressions after finishing the show.

I get the impression that this duo of shows might be one of those things where you have a distinct preference for one over the other. For me, since I watched Gunbuster like two or three days ago, Diebuster was very strange in terms of what happened in the plot. A lot of the drama in Gunbuster comes from fairly hard scifi FTL stuff, whereas Diebuster has pretty much none of that. It is very, very much a Trigger show.

As a show I think it's about the spirit of rebellion and overcoming limits, whereas Gunbuster felt more like everyone banding together, coming up with plans, tactics, and working as a team. This is where I'm gonna get kinda muddy in terms of memory because Gunbuster hit me where it hurt and I was pretty drunk while watching it. Noriko and Amano's relationship was really very clear in terms of development, and while we didn't see everything that went on between them, I felt like I had enough to where I was satisfied with the ending.

In Diebuster, though, I had a hard time even keeping the timeline straight. I had to play catchup a few times in Gunbuster, but in Diebuster it was constantly blowing past what I could comprehend, until the last couple episodes just confused me more than anything. The relationship between Nono and Lal'c was perfectly acceptable in terms of logic, but I really feel like I didn't get enough of just hard information. By that I mean I don't know how much time they actually spent together, because the timeline hasn't really settled in my head at all. Are we talking a month, a half-year, a full year? I couldn't keep track of the timeline cause everything was moving so fast, and I guess that bothers me more than I thought it did.

As you might be able to tell by this baffling and confusing word salad, I don't really know how I feel about this series yet. I certainly didn't hate it at all, and I don't think it's bad, I think it's just directed at people with different sensibilities. It's certainly good enough that I'll give it a rewatch somewhere down the line and see if it clicks with me better.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah, people usually feel pretty strongly one way or the other about which is better (its Gunbuster), naturally because the tone and themes are so different. you call it a Trigger show and well that's fair, most of the big names at Trigger worked on Diebuster in some capacity, but it also completely falls in line with Gainax's trajectory through the 2000s, its smack dab in the middle between FLCL and Gurren Lagann

either way the ending is very good, though

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Hello anime chat. I missed an entire thread! Congrats Wark! I've been lurking a bit this past week or so and you seem like a great mod so far!

I've had a number of developments since I last posted in anime chat:
-graduated university
-came out as a transwoman
-moved to europe
-got married to my lesbian wife
-watched gunbuster/diebuster and jojo finally

it's been a busy year

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

drat also grats

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xinder posted:

Hello anime chat. I missed an entire thread! Congrats Wark! I've been lurking a bit this past week or so and you seem like a great mod so far!

I've had a number of developments since I last posted in anime chat:
-graduated university
-came out as a transwoman
-moved to europe
-got married to my lesbian wife
-watched gunbuster/diebuster and jojo finally

it's been a busy year
grats on watching diebuster

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
That's a hell of a year, drat

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
diebuster was very good but it didn't emotionally resonate with me as much as gunbuster, and i think that has to do with my inability to keep up with it. i had to devote so much brainpower to understanding what was going on, i didn't have enough for emotions. definitely going to give it a rewatch soon and i'll probably like it more.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Also Finland doesn't have GGO on Crunchy so I guess I'll never see the second half of that anime.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xinder posted:

Also Finland doesn't have GGO on Crunchy so I guess I'll never see the second half of that anime.
you need to see the second half of that anime. go beyond what's right and wrong.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Xinder posted:

it's been a busy year

Congrats! :toot:

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Endorph posted:

you need to see the second half of that anime. go beyond what's right and wrong.

i'm actually heading back to the states for a bit soon. i might just find some time alone to watch anime while i'm there.

it's just frustrating to have region locked shows. makes me think having a crunchy account isn't worth it living here

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

why cant it be tuesday

They should have released DQ on Saturday so people could take advantage of the dang Labor Day weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

There seem to be a lot of good shows airing this season.

Instead of watching them, I've caught up on Jashin-chan Dropkick.