Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Calling Cinemascore scientific seems fairly generous. It’s a small sample of a small set of markets on opening weekend. That’s not a representative sample of the total audience for a movie.

Note that Death of a Nation, an incredibly bad and divisive movie, has an A on Cinemascore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Calling Cinemascore scientific seems fairly generous. It’s a small sample of a small set of markets on opening weekend. That’s not a representative sample of the total audience for a movie.

Note that Death of a Nation, an incredibly bad and divisive movie, has an A on Cinemascore.

Not to defend Cinemascore's methodology, but think about who's going to actually go see that movie. Obviously it's a very bad tool for determining how good a movie actually is.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Yeah all these aggregator sites follow some sort of weird and arbitrary metric because they’ve yet to invent an app that can actually replicate basic human literacy.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

BTW, SMG you never addressed my point about Vader.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I suppose we won't know for sure until Episode IX comes out.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

porfiria posted:

Not to defend Cinemascore's methodology, but think about who's going to actually go see that movie. Obviously it's a very bad tool for determining how good a movie actually is.

Right, that’s the point. It’s a measure of a very specific set of people with a specific set of expectations. That holds true of every movie Cinemascore rates. It’s not a measure of how well liked a movie is generally, months or more after its release.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Beyond the movies, if you look at something like the reaction to the new cartoon the Clone Wars guy is doing, I think it's been markedly negative as well. Now, I remember both Clone Wars and Rebels getting a ton of poo poo heaped on them before they came out (in both cases because people thought they looked "too kiddy") even though most people came around to liking them, but there wasn't a broader narrative for that to feed into at the time (as there is now) so it never really made much of an impression.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Now we've decided we're never going to get a scientific measurement of how good a movie is can we stop having this stupid loving argument?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Right, that’s the point. It’s a measure of a very specific set of people with a specific set of expectations. That holds true of every movie Cinemascore rates. It’s not a measure of how well liked a movie is generally, months or more after its release.

Well apropos of something like TLJ, everyone saw it so it's a bit less specific. Maybe the general public's opinion of it has curdled but I'd guess the general public has not given the movie a single solitary thought since December. Broad indifference is likely to be the sequel trilogy's lasting legacy. Maybe the current crop of kids will really attach to it but I think Marvel has a lot of those feelings sewn up, such as they are.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

cargohills posted:

Now we've decided we're never going to get a scientific measurement of how good a movie is can we stop having this stupid loving argument?

criticker tells me I would give it a 4/10, so uh, qed chumps

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Mantis42 posted:

Movie critics are loving dumb. Like, regardless of your opinion on TLJ, we're a long way from the days of Pauline Kael and Roger Ebert.

The biggest problem is too many critics today refuse to engage with fantasy or the fantastical almost at all----unless it's something like Guillermo del Toro's brand of "magical realism" and thus they can rest assured of not looking like "manchildren" for seriously dissecting, say, a Civil War. Whereas whatever you thought about Roger Ebert, the dude was game to engage with basically anything. Watch his and Ebert's review of Ghost in the Shell, for ex. -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il2l3hEEtdk

Like, you take a guy like Matthew Zoller-Zeitsz or whatever his name is. He may be very thoughtful in approaching a Lady Bird or a Grand Budapest Hotel, but you see his Marvel reviews and it's extremely condescending "yeah I slept through half of it kids seemed happy 9/10"

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 1, 2018

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Samples are always going to be a small subset of a total population - that doesn't mean they're not scientific or representative. The important thing is that they're selected without bias. Even if Rotten Tomatoes sample is larger that's meaningless if, say, 0.5% of the general population is signed up for their site while 50% of alt-right nerds are due to their campaign to downvote TLJ.

Being loved by the people who saw it (which I'm sure Death of a Nation was) doesn't mean something's a good film, but I was specifically responding to the idea that TLJ was unpopular with audiences.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 1, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Yeah all these aggregator sites follow some sort of weird and arbitrary metric because they’ve yet to invent an app that can actually replicate basic human literacy.

A powerful self-own

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

porfiria posted:

Well apropos of something like TLJ, everyone saw it so it's a bit less specific.

Not everyone saw it on opening weekend though. The folks that turn up to Star Wars movies on the first weekend are a distinct population to those who have eventually seen Star Wars movies.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Samples are always going to be a small subset of a total population - that doesn't mean they're not scientific or representative. The important thing is that they're selected without bias.

Again, as above, the bias is in the selection. Opening weekend viewers in exclusively large metropolitan markets in America aren’t necessarily representative the broader population that sees a movie, especially a Star Wars movie that is seen by basically everyone everywhere eventually.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

A powerful self-own

lol

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

RBA Starblade posted:

A powerful self-own

Okay this is a good one

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I’m not an application and I don’t strive to be basic or human.

Mantis42 posted:

BTW, SMG you never addressed my point about Vader.

Star Wars isn’t a 1:1 translation of the Bible, given that Jesus wasn’t a war hero, or a father of two and so-on.

Lucas’ point with Anakin is that he is the incarnation of the wrathful, petulant, Old Testament God. This is the God of massacres and if turning women into pillars of salt and so-forth. Anakin dies for his own sins, as you put it, at the end of Episode 3.

Now, people tend to conflate Anakin and Vader, assuming that Vader’s spent 20 years all stomping on babies or whatever. But Anakin was prone to committing massacres because of his pathological attachment to his mother and (consequently) to Padme. This attachment was burnt out of his psyche in the pit of fire.

Vader does not commit massacres. He only attacks Alliance targets. Of course he’s a bad guy, but Vader’s flaw in Episode 4 is not that he is too violent but that he’s actually holding himself back, not choking all the regional governors and opposing Tarkin. He’s wavering in his ethics. This limitation is symbolized by his reliance on the targeting computer.

Immediately after Episode 4 is when Vader becomes unleashed, and from that point onwards he is acting as a revolutionary.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

I like how this thread has to go through a derail every other page of whether TLJ was good or not lol

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It was bad but it had good aspects.

Anyways, I can see a bit of what you mean. Vader is trying to overthrow the Emperor in 5, though he seems resigned to his bondage in 6, up until he sees Luke being tortured(?). But what's the revolution here, wouldn't that just be a coup? How would the Darth Vader of Episode 5 ruling "the galaxy as father as son" be any different from the Emperor?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Raccooon posted:

I like how this thread has to go through a derail every other page of whether TLJ was good or not lol

It was good

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

It was good

*pushes glasses up nose*

"well according to this scientific polling..."

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Raccooon posted:

seems to me it's more that the derails are to do with people consulting outside forces (pablo hidalgo, rotten tomatoes, etc) to do the thinking for them

it's definitely weird thoughts, the thread

Mantis42 posted:

It was bad but it had good aspects.

Anyways, I can see a bit of what you mean. Vader is trying to overthrow the Emperor in 5, though he seems resigned to his bondage in 6, up until he sees Luke being tortured(?). But what's the revolution here, wouldn't that just be a coup? How would the Darth Vader of Episode 5 ruling "the galaxy as father as son" be any different from the Emperor?

I honestly don't know if "revolution" and "coup" is a distinction with a big enough difference in this context

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mantis42 posted:

How would the Darth Vader of Episode 5 ruling "the galaxy as father as son" be any different from the Emperor?

The ‘and son’ part. Luke’s not just some guy. In Episode 5, Luke has split off from the Liberal-Republican Alliance and is leading his own group of freedom fighters. Vader is proposing that the leftists on both sides of the civil war unite against the emperor (who, it bears repeating, is Space Satan).

Go back to the prequels, and you get much elaboration on what this means via the harsh criticism of the Republic. Anakin was (made into) a fascist, but he was also the kid who dreamed not only of freeing the slaves but of building a system that would protect the weakest. Hence creating C3PO to help his mom, to suffer in solidarity with her. “We seem to be made to suffer. It's our lot in life.” Even later, Anakin is talking about compassion and is highly critical of the liberal democracy:

Anakin: “We need a system where the politicians sit down and discuss the problem. Agree what's in the best interests of all the people, and do it.”
Padme: "That's exactly what they do, the trouble is that people don't always agree."
Anakin: "Then they should be made to."
Padme: "By whom? Who's going to make them?"

People focus on craaazy fascist Anakin talking about dictatorship here, and ignore that Padme’s responses to him are horribly inadequate defences of the obviously-bad status quo. She’s making excuses for how the system doesn’t actually work - a system that literally serves Space Satan, and is about to declare war on the Space Mideast.

Padme can’t conceive of power to the people. In fact, she seems to treat the politicians and the people as synonymous. “Who should have power over the politicians?”, she’s saying, like she considers the idea ridiculous. Neither she nor Anakin can conceive of the proletariat being in charge.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The ‘and son’ part. Luke’s not just some guy. In Episode 5, Luke has split off from the Liberal-Republican Alliance and is leading his own group of freedom fighters. Vader is proposing that the leftists on both sides of the civil war unite against the emperor (who, it bears repeating, is Space Satan).

Go back to the prequels, and you get much elaboration on what this means via the harsh criticism of the Republic. Anakin was (made into) a fascist, but he was also the kid who dreamed not only of freeing the slaves but of building a system that would protect the weakest. Hence creating C3PO to help his mom, to suffer in solidarity with her. “We seem to be made to suffer. It's our lot in life.” Even later, Anakin is talking about compassion and is highly critical of the liberal democracy:

Anakin: “We need a system where the politicians sit down and discuss the problem. Agree what's in the best interests of all the people, and do it.”
Padme: "That's exactly what they do, the trouble is that people don't always agree."
Anakin: "Then they should be made to."

People focus on craaazy fascist Anakin talking about dictatorship here, and ignore that Padme’s responses to him are horribly inadequate defences of the obviously-bad status quo. She’s making excuses for how the system doesn’t actually work - a system that literally serves Space Satan, and is about to declare war on the Space Mideast.

Padme can’t conceive of power to the people. In fact, she seems to treat the politicians and the people as synonymous. “Who should have power over the politicians?”, she’s saying, like she considers the idea ridiculous. Neither she nor Anakin can conceive of the proletariat being in charge.
I have two questions for you and they're legitimately not intended to be snide or pedantic. I'm actually curious.

1) Where does Anakin slaughtering the sand children because some of their people's actions against his mother fall into your reading?

2) Where does everything about Tatooine that we see in the original trilogy factor into your reading? It's not just that Vader fails to free the slaves on Tatooine, but he ignores Tatooine to an absurd degree. Luke is not hidden from Vader in any shape or form. His surname is not only preserved, but he is raised by known relatives to Vader. Obi-Wan uses Vader's complete indifference to the planet as the only disguise necessary.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The prequels absolutely fail to explain Vader's motivation in any reasonable way and raise way more questions than they answer.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Timeless Appeal posted:

I have two questions for you and they're legitimately not intended to be snide or pedantic. I'm actually curious.

1) Where does Anakin slaughtering the sand children because some of their people's actions against his mother fall into your reading?

“Lucas’ point with Anakin is that he is the incarnation of the wrathful, petulant, Old Testament God. This is the God of massacres and if turning women into pillars of salt and so-forth. Anakin dies for his own sins ... at the end of Episode 3.”

Yahweh killed kids all the time. Just ask the pharoah!

2) Where does everything about Tatooine that we see in the original trilogy factor into your reading? It's not just that Vader fails to free the slaves on Tatooine, but he ignores Tatooine to an absurd degree. Luke is not hidden from Vader in any shape or form. His surname is not only preserved, but he is raised by known relatives to Vader. Obi-Wan uses Vader's complete indifference to the planet as the only disguise necessary.

Luke’s name was hidden when he was adopted; he was raised as Luke Lars just like his sister was raised as Leia Organa. At some point later in his teens, Luke found out that he was adopted, and that’s why he’s so excited to announce that he’s Luke SKYWALKER (and he’s here to rescue you).

The Lars family are not relatives of Vader. They are relatives of Anakin, which is a major difference. Even if you don’t make the distinction, Vader certainly does.

It’s not that Vader is indifferent to Tatooine. It’s that he is thinking big picture: first he is busy defending the Empire (as it is the apotheosis of the Republic and the will of the dark God) and then, after Episode 4, he’s attempting to bring about a true universal democracy that is by definition inclusive of Tatooine.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Vader isn't a leftist. He's an authoritarian. He's the ultimate repressive father figure. He wants to control everything and make it the way he wants it to be. That's why he slaughters the Sand People. Their entire cultural existence is getting in the way of what he perceives to be justice. He commits a genocidal act because of authoritarian ideological tendencies informing an impulsive, emotion-driven response to a highly traumatic event. The Republic reacts the same way when one of their own is taken hostage by an opposing political faction, impulsively foisting authoritarian powers upon the Chancellor and launching a full-scale war in a frenzy of fear. They're parallel stories.

Vader isn't interested in giving power to the people. There's no indication in any of the films that this is what he's after. He starts out with the naive intention of helping people, but his controlling personality and increasing reliance on negative emotions cause him to do the exact opposite of that, the same way he starts out with the good intention of saving his wife but ends up strangling her to within an inch of her life because she won't do what he wants her to do. This becomes a recurring pattern for Vader, strangling people because they refuse to act as extensions of his own will.

We never see him actually helping anybody. Instead, he stands by as billions of people are murdered in an act of state terrorism, and then works actively to oppose the revolutionaries who are seeking to destroy the instrument of this planetary genocide. We never see him freeing any slaves. Instead, he casually gives aid to a slave-holding rapist so that he can intentionally induce the same unbearable emotional distress in his son that he himself once felt for his brutalized mother, all as a means to lure his son into a trap and use him as a mere tool to aid in his own ambitions of greater power. His son refuses, so he angrily castrates him and then threatens to murder him if he won't do as he says.

Great guy, this Vader. A real role model.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

This owns.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Vader hates Tatooine. There's nothing but sand there. He sends his subordinates down there rather than personally see to the recovery of the Death Star plans, which he considers highly important.

After purging the Jedi but before fighting Obi-Wan, his intention was to use Palpatine to take over the Empire, and then put Padme in charge of it. He never trusts himself to be in charge, knowing himself to be the kind of person who commits massacres. He has the strength to change the galaxy by force, and he wants to put someone else in charge of it.

Once inside the suit, he no longer has that strength, since Palpatine can kill him instantly. Nor can he see any hope for his own liberation, because Palpatine literally controls what he sees.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

There’s a lot of confusing Anakin with Vader, but the reading of Vader as a new ethical subject begins with the mask.The similarity here being the birth of God as Jesus Christ the man - The incarnation of God as a new ethical subject, a God who suffers from an engaged subjective position.

The reading of Luke redeeming his biological father by reaching the inner good beneath the mask of Vader is one of the broader satirical points of the prequels - where underneath the mask of Vader, we learn, lies the human face of Anakin the Jedi who became a fascist.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Cnut the Great posted:

Vader isn't a leftist. He's an authoritarian. He's the ultimate repressive father figure. He wants to control everything and make it the way he wants it to be. That's why he slaughters the Sand People.

The start of your post is already objectively false. Besides that Anakin and Vader are different characters, Anakin is extremely submissive. Recall this exchange:

Padme: "You?"
Anakin: "Of course not me!"
Padme: "Then someone...?"
Anakin: "Someone wise."

You need to be careful; Anakin is unambiguously referring to Padme. She is his ideal dictator; the goal of his life is to realize her disavowed fantasies.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Anakin and Vader are the same person.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm kinda down with what SMG is saying, except if Vader was a revolutionary from Episode 5, why did he need to so much convincing in 6? He waited until his arm was cut off and Luke was being fried to kill the Emperor.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I didn’t like TLJ or solo, but I’ll still see all the upcoming star war movies without a doubt or hesitation.
I came to this thread looking for point by point discussions about those films.

I read every single page. Every post.

What a terrible thread this is.

Worse than solo or TLJ

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cnut the Great posted:

Vader isn't a leftist. He's an authoritarian.

These two categories are not mutually exclusive.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

sponges posted:

Anakin and Vader are the same person.

actually i have this placemat that shows anakin and vader existing at the same time, therefore

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

SMG if Vader and Anakin are actually different characters, are we to assume there is actually a Vader force ghost too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mantis42 posted:

I'm kinda down with what SMG is saying, except if Vader was a revolutionary from Episode 5, why did he need to so much convincing in 6? He waited until his arm was cut off and Luke was being fried to kill the Emperor.

It’s not that Vader needed convincing but that Luke had regressed.

No longer a freedom fighter, Luke in Episode 6 has rejoined the Republican Alliance and has rejected the painful truth in favour of Obiwan’s weak postmodern relativism.

MrMojok posted:

SMG if Vader and Anakin are actually different characters, are we to assume there is actually a Vader force ghost too?

Vader’s ghost is the Holy Spirit.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 2, 2018