Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
This Reid Duke coverage is excellent, and I wish they'd do this for every tournament. Specifically, they should follow Reid Duke for every tournament because there's very few players with his caliber of play and his caliber of sportsmanship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Hellsau posted:

This Reid Duke coverage is excellent, and I wish they'd do this for every tournament. Specifically, they should follow Reid Duke for every tournament because there's very few players with his caliber of play and his caliber of sportsmanship.

I'd accept LSV, Huey, Owen, Gerry T. to give Reid a break occasionally.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Hellsau posted:

Agreed. Today was the best day in MTG coverage literally ever.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
My lgs gets to host a modern pptq. Excited to finally see what the modern meta is like near me and go 0-x

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

That coverage owned.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Is reckless fireweaver a well known pauper deck?

I was looking for a random idea to make for arena pauper and ran into two other U/R versions of it.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
I don't get why Reid didn't take Back to Basics in game 3. His opponent only had one land and ponder if he took the brainstorm, but his deck isn't going to apply enough pressure to really justify that.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

born on a buy you posted:

I don't get why Reid didn't take Back to Basics in game 3. His opponent only had one land and ponder if he took the brainstorm, but his deck isn't going to apply enough pressure to really justify that.

Reid could take Snapcaster, kill the Clique when the opponent taps out to cast it EOT, and then unless his opponent specifically topdecks Clique then Reid wins with Liliana's ultimate. At some point he can also Pyroblast the Back to Basics if he really has to. Unfortunately Reid's opponent topdecked Clique, topdecked 3 consecutive threats, and Reid whiffed on two Brainstorms.

e: oh wait you meant with the first discard spell, Back to Basics isn't a big enough threat to take there.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I can't believe Reid lost to the most obnoxious magic player in NJ by far. lol

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

Congratulations on beating Reid! :v:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

suicidesteve posted:

Congratulations on beating Reid! :v:

lol. I'm a delight in person.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

lol. I'm a delight in person.

Well one of these days when you're in Pittsburgh you'll have to scrub out so we can meet up.

Related: who's planning on coming to Champs this year?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

At least he seemed chill on camera.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

suicidesteve posted:

Well one of these days when you're in Pittsburgh you'll have to scrub out so we can meet up.

Related: who's planning on coming to Champs this year?

Related: anyone going to GP Hong Kong in 2 weeks?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ShaneB posted:

At least he seemed chill on camera.

Who could possibly be obnoxious to Reid Duke?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
So we talked about crazy odds with the guy who claimed to open Josu Vess 6 games in a row. Well I just whiffed on 3 of 3 elvish rejuvenator triggers in the critical game 3 of the 2nd round of a single elim draft. Any of which would have swung the game if they connected.

I figure the odds are roughly ((23/40)^5)^3. That comes out to 0.025% chance. Not insane but pretty crazy.

Mostly I'm just salty as gently caress right now.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

So we talked about crazy odds with the guy who claimed to open Josu Vess 6 games in a row. Well I just whiffed on 3 of 3 elvish rejuvenator triggers in the critical game 3 of the 2nd round of a single elim draft. Any of which would have swung the game if they connected.

I figure the odds are roughly ((23/40)^5)^3. That comes out to 0.025% chance. Not insane but pretty crazy.

Did you shuffle somehow between those Rejuvenator triggers?

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I once ultimated Ral Zarek and got zero extra turns. It was Dead Sea level salt.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Hellsau posted:

Did you shuffle somehow between those Rejuvenator triggers?

No but I revisited it and it was twice in the game 3 and once in the game 2 so not quite as bad.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
Reid Duke Day VOD is amazing. MaRo wants heels but what a face, great broadcast concept too. There was an exactly 0% chance I'd tune into a Legacy GP at this point in my Magic career but I'd watch this specific kind of thing every time they do it in the future.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Some friends and I are looking at having a casual "league" to have an excuse to get together and play, $50 cap on deck cost, and maybe playing for ante just for giggles, we haven't decided. It's sort of going to end up being our poker night, is the hope. We're looking at having Pauper and Legacy banned lists, or some combination thereof. What would you build given these restrictions? My first inclination is some variety of high tide deck. I think one of the other organizers is pricing out astral slide.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://clips.twitch.tv/BreakableSuspiciousSoymilkTheTarFu

poor Eduardo.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Some friends and I are looking at having a casual "league" to have an excuse to get together and play, $50 cap on deck cost, and maybe playing for ante just for giggles, we haven't decided. It's sort of going to end up being our poker night, is the hope. We're looking at having Pauper and Legacy banned lists, or some combination thereof. What would you build given these restrictions? My first inclination is some variety of high tide deck. I think one of the other organizers is pricing out astral slide.

I’d assume a variant of U/R or U/B Ninja Bear Delver would probably be pretty easy to build and not break the bank. Not having good fetches for shuffles hurts but bad fetches can probably sub in without too much trouble against $50 cap decks and a lot of the cards that make delver-type decks go are either cheap or can be subbed out for cheaper replacements.

There’s always reanimator, too- there’s always good targets for cheap due to not being Gristlebrand so not getting played, and cheap ways to fill the yard. the actual good reanimation spells are the tricky one for the cost but I’m sure there’s some overlooked ‘good enough’ cards.

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Dang this coverage of Reid is good. I can't believe it took them this long to start (meaningfully) innovating on the coverage format. What's the last big change they made like this? Hiring people with casting intent rather than WotC employees? Time walk matches?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i read this on maro's blog and now you have to share my pain

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/177626760463/how-in-the-world-did-you-lose-all-your-baby-teeth#notes

quote:

greensunzenith asked: How in the world did you lose all your baby teeth non-naturally?

I had all of them removed by a dentist. Not all at once, usually four to six at a time. Those little guys just wouldn’t fall out on their own.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Ha! Reid ultimated Lili, TLH again on camera. Card is going to go through another spike.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

AlternateNu posted:

Ha! Reid ultimated Lili, TLH again on camera. Card is going to go through another spike.

That game two was a clinic. I don't think I have seen a more thorough take down of miracles.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

oryx posted:

Dang this coverage of Reid is good. I can't believe it took them this long to start (meaningfully) innovating on the coverage format. What's the last big change they made like this? Hiring people with casting intent rather than WotC employees? Time walk matches?

It's phenomenal, but time walk matches have been around for awhile

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
LOL tin fins turn 1 win.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I just caught some of the follow Reid Duke coverage and this is actually pretty good. The best part is actually hearing what the players are doing instead of having the announcers kinda guess.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Someone in another thread was talking about a format called Cheapo Supremo, which is a $25 cap on deck cost with the Legacy banlist or the Vintage B&R list depending on your preference. I've not played the format but they made it sound like fun and the couple of lists I looked up look rad, maybe do some research into that for ideas?

AlternateNu posted:

Crap, I still need a copy or two of this.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Judge gave Matt Nass a warning for failing too maintain the game state while he was trying to maintain the game state when Reid cast a spell with no legal targets

REL is the dumbest of shits

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

80s James Hetfield posted:

Judge gave Matt Nass a warning for failing too maintain the game state while he was trying to maintain the game state when Reid cast a spell with no legal targets

REL is the dumbest of shits

If they had more time in the round I am sure he would have appealed it. Judge looked spooked by the camera.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

C-Euro posted:

Someone in another thread was talking about a format called Cheapo Supremo, which is a $25 cap on deck cost with the Legacy banlist or the Vintage B&R list depending on your preference. I've not played the format but they made it sound like fun and the couple of lists I looked up look rad, maybe do some research into that for ideas?

I'm curious what cards are on those lists that won't put you over the cap.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sickening posted:

If they had more time in the round I am sure he would have appealed it. Judge looked spooked by the camera.

fairly sure that they add time to your round for judge calls

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Playing Scrap Trawlers, walking ballistas, and renegade map is pretty hilarious in mtga.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Lone Goat posted:

I'm curious what cards are on those lists that won't put you over the cap.

Mostly blue card draw/filtering that's restricted in Vintage, and cards that are banned in Legacy but not played in vintage.

Quick look:

Brainstorm, ponder, merchant scroll, dig through time, Treasure Cruise, Monastery Mentor, Lodestone Golem, Sol Ring, Lotus Petal, Balance, Demonic Consultation, Flash, Tinker, DRS, YawgBarg, necro, skullclamp, gush, hermit druid, and oath of druids are all under 15 bucks

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I dunno what Suicidesteve is on about, RUG Delver looks like a GREAT deck!

when you draw three delvers against an opponent who starts on turn 3 and have three pieces of interaction on top of that

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
1UU Surveil Dissolve seemingly confirmed, and in as a promo

http://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/1035987568779776000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Boco_T posted: