Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Chaotic Flame posted:

Is this for new cards or everyone? I'm coming up on year two and was thinking of PCing and reapplying for the bonus again.

It's for everyone if you apply through an application that has this language. Apparently affiliate apps may not have updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

asur posted:

It's for everyone if you apply through an application that has this language. Apparently affiliate apps may not have updated.

Referral links also still have the 24-month language, last I heard.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bofa-business-advantage-cash-rewards-mastercard-350-offer/

This is a pretty good no brainer deal, considering that the sign-up bonus is actually $350 after $500 in spend and not $3K. Plus, Chase doesn't view the business cards in the 5/24 calculation. Got mine last week, just signed my wife up.

Don't intend to keep the card, just bonus churning.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

TraderStav posted:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bofa-business-advantage-cash-rewards-mastercard-350-offer/

This is a pretty good no brainer deal, considering that the sign-up bonus is actually $350 after $500 in spend and not $3K. Plus, Chase doesn't view the business cards in the 5/24 calculation. Got mine last week, just signed my wife up.

Don't intend to keep the card, just bonus churning.

The bonus is tiered, you don't get the full $350 until you spend $3k. Apparently the bonus is $200 if you spend $500 per the doctor of credit site.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Something Offal posted:

The bonus is tiered, you don't get the full $350 until you spend $3k. Apparently the bonus is $200 if you spend $500 per the doctor of credit site.

That’s right. But once I got approved they mailed me a letter stating it was $500, I called customer service and they confirmed that my account is marked with the offer for $350 after $500 spend in 60 days.

It’s a flub.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Maybe this is obvious to everyone, but TIL that only the Chase Preferred and Reserve can transfer to travel partners. I just ran into a bit of a problem trying to book a hotel room on my GF's new Hyatt account. She just got the Chase Hyatt card and cancelled her Preferred, but her bonus hasn't cleared yet. So I figure, whatever, I'll just transfer her the points and then she can transfer them the Hyatt, but no, she can't actually use her Unlimited to transfer to Hyatt now. So, ok, I'll just add her Hyatt account to my Reserve and then transfer the points, but :lol: they want $75 to add her as an authorized user. So I just ended up booking it on my Hyatt Account.

But I did get to book this room for 30k points so I've got that going for me:

KaiserKarl
Dec 31, 2006
All hard-checks have fallen off and aging is solid, so ready to add another card! What should I get goons? 0% APR to keep money in appreciating equities for $5-$10k in planned spend? Cash-back/bonus value to compliment existing rotation?

750 score (want to maintain and grow for auto/home loans in a year or two). Currently maintain <19% total utilization, but can pay off ongoing charges across my cards immediately if the free interest amount drags too much to maintain score.

Amex Plat - hotels/flights $1-10k/mon
CSR ($25k line) - average $1-3k/mon in dining and $2-4k in discretionary spending (gas, retail, etc..)
BofA Americard ($4k line) - minimal spend to maintain line for credit aging
BofA Travel ($8k line) - minimal spend to maintain line for credit aging
Chase Slate ($5.3 line) - minimal spend to maintain line for credit aging

What are the best 0% APR for 12 months + that might issue with a $10k limit base on my profile? Or, would I better served with another cash-back card for discretionary spending vs 1x UR categories? Or an airline (United or Alaska) mileage card for bonus to add to pile of united miles? How can I squeeze the most value?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

KaiserKarl posted:

All hard-checks have fallen off and aging is solid, so ready to add another card! What should I get goons? 0% APR to keep money in appreciating equities for $5-$10k in planned spend? Cash-back/bonus value to compliment existing rotation?

750 score (want to maintain and grow for auto/home loans in a year or two). Currently maintain <19% total utilization, but can pay off ongoing charges across my cards immediately if the free interest amount drags too much to maintain score.

Amex Plat - hotels/flights $1-10k/mon
CSR ($25k line) - average $1-3k/mon in dining and $2-4k in discretionary spending (gas, retail, etc..)
BofA Americard ($4k line) - minimal spend to maintain line for credit aging
BofA Travel ($8k line) - minimal spend to maintain line for credit aging
Chase Slate ($5.3 line) - minimal spend to maintain line for credit aging

What are the best 0% APR for 12 months + that might issue with a $10k limit base on my profile? Or, would I better served with another cash-back card for discretionary spending vs 1x UR categories? Or an airline (United or Alaska) mileage card for bonus to add to pile of united miles? How can I squeeze the most value?

Barclays offers the Ring card, which i think is 0%APR for at least 12 months and $0 balance transfer fee. Citi has the simplicity, which I think is 0%APR for about 15-18mo, with a 3% BT fee.

Barclays also offers the AAdvantage red card which is currently giving 60,000 AA miles for making a single purchase and paying the non-waived $90 AF.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Looks like we can fly business to south africa for our honeymoon for about 700 per person including fees, by transferring 240k chase points to Korean Air. Worth it?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Residency Evil posted:

Looks like we can fly business to south africa for our honeymoon for about 700 per person including fees, by transferring 240k chase points to Korean Air. Worth it?

My wife says NYC to Joburg is one of the worst flights she’s ever had and that business would have been well worth it.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Residency Evil posted:

Can't transfer chase to Korean anymore as of about a week ago.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

My wife says NYC to Joburg is one of the worst flights she’s ever had and that business would have been well worth it.

Good to know

Elysium posted:

Can't transfer chase to Korean anymore as of about a week ago.

Well poo poo, that's annoying. Looks like Amex also doesn't transfer. Are there any good ways of getting to South Africa from the North East now?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 1, 2018

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

Good to know

Well poo poo, that's annoying. Looks like Amex also doesn't transfer. Are there any good ways of getting to South Africa from the North East now?

KLM is in the same alliance so that's an option. South African and Ethiopian are in *A so that's two other options to get there. Oneworld can get there via DOH that's probably the most luxurious way.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Do Qatar, IMO.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Do Qatar, IMO.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

If you have *A access I didn't mind the flights when I went with Lufthansa (JNB-FRA-JFK), so that's another option.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
I signed up for the Southwest Premier card less than 2 years ago. Does anyone know if I can sign up for the Business Premier card and get the sign up bonus again?

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Could also transfer Amex MR to ANA. America to South Africa is 104k miles round trip per person in business class, if you can find *A availability, usually on Ethiopian, Lufthansa, or South African.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

JohnCompany posted:

If you have *A access I didn't mind the flights when I went with Lufthansa (JNB-FRA-JFK), so that's another option.

What's Star alliance access?

Not sure how best to book any of these. Lufthansa would be through United right? Looks like there's no good way to transfer Chase points or Amex MR to Qatar.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

Not sure how best to book any of these. Lufthansa would be through United right? Looks like there's no good way to transfer Chase points or Amex MR to Qatar.

You can book Qatar through AA.

For *A, you have three+ options. United is a UR transfer partner and never passes along YQ making them a good option for booking high YQ airlines like Lufthansa. Aeroplan is a MR transfer partner, is generally slightly less miles than United, passes along some YQ based on the airline and has very generous routing, stopover, and openjaw policies if you book a roundtrip. Ana is a MR transfer partner with generally lowest miles cost, requires booking a round trip, passes some YQ, slightly worse rules than Aeroplan. If you need to combine points, Singapore is a transfer partner of MR and UR but generally isn't a great deal from a miles plus yq perspective compared to the other three.

Assuming you aren't flying the carrier they all should have access to the same partner space and the search engines for all three are pretty similar and cover most of the alliance so you should be able to estimate costs, miles and fees, before you transfer.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I thought you were an AA guy? Book business class on Qatar to South Africa through Doha using AA miles. You’ll thank me later.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

asur posted:

You can book Qatar through AA.

For *A, you have three+ options. United is a UR transfer partner and never passes along YQ making them a good option for booking high YQ airlines like Lufthansa. Aeroplan is a MR transfer partner, is generally slightly less miles than United, passes along some YQ based on the airline and has very generous routing, stopover, and openjaw policies if you book a roundtrip. Ana is a MR transfer partner with generally lowest miles cost, requires booking a round trip, passes some YQ, slightly worse rules than Aeroplan. If you need to combine points, Singapore is a transfer partner of MR and UR but generally isn't a great deal from a miles plus yq perspective compared to the other three.

Assuming you aren't flying the carrier they all should have access to the same partner space and the search engines for all three are pretty similar and cover most of the alliance so you should be able to estimate costs, miles and fees, before you transfer.

Cacafuego posted:

I thought you were an AA guy? Book business class on Qatar to South Africa through Doha using AA miles. You’ll thank me later.

I normally fly AA now (or, at least did), but I'm trying to figure out a way to use either Chase/Amex points to fly to South Africa. It looks as if neither Chase or Amex will allow me to transfer points to make flying on Qatar possible (right?). I think I could transfer to BA Avios, but I"m not finding any availability on flights from the east coast to JNB on Qatar. Am I missing something?

The alternative is to save them and stay at another Hyatt down the road.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
My parents just got Hawaiian and Alaskan credit cards, and added me to their accounts (I buy a lot of stuff for them, mostly technology stuff), so I was thinking about revamping my card.

Right now I've got a Costco Visa, 1% cashback on most stuff, 2% back from Costco, 3% on restaurants and travel that I use for most of my day-to-day purchases, plus an Amazon store card that I use for Amazon. I'm a single dude living in a major city making ~$50,000 a year, I think I got $400-$600 in rewards last year (I buy most of my household goods and groceries at Costco, and I tend to be the social director for friends and family, so I'll put stuff on my card and get paid back).

Is it worth it for me to optimize any more, and if so, are the cards recommended in the OP still good, or are there some additional options worth looking at? Thanks.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

You should at least have a 2% cash back card for non Costco purchases

I don’t really chase rotating categories with say Discover or Chase, nor do I care about airline miles. If it’s not Costco I use a 2% back card

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 7, 2018

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

skipdogg posted:

You should at least have a 2% cash back card for non Costco purchases

I don’t really chase rotating categories with say Discover or Chase, nor do I care about airline miles. If it’s not Costco I use a 2% back card

Yeah, you should have the 5% Amazon card!

If your family buys a lot of groceries, the BCE is worth it.

And a lot of people say at the end of the day have the double cash for "everything else."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I have my basic 2% Citi Doublecash, but for the past two years I've just been using the Discover IT signup bonus to make it my general spend card.

2% on everything and 10% back on quarterly categories can't be beat. Even if you can only do it for two years.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I have my basic 2% Citi Doublecash, but for the past two years I've just been using the Discover IT signup bonus to make it my general spend card.

2% on everything and 10% back on quarterly categories can't be beat. Even if you can only do it for two years.

Do you run into problems with places not taking Discover?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Thanatosian posted:

Do you run into problems with places not taking Discover?

Extremely rarely.

The only times it has ever happened were online-only payment places that only took Visa and my barbershop.

I've never been to any retail store or major website that didn't take it.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Despite how exceedingly rare it is to find somewhere that doesn't take Discover I still make sure to have a Visa/Mastercard with me. I think that may be more out of habit than necessity at this point.

I think Discover used to have issues mostly with small stores, but now most of them are probably using 3rd parties to process payments like Square so it's very rarely an issue.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
How do I get AMEX points into a Schwab account? I want the Amex gold business card but I don't see a way to get it Schwab branded. Do I need two cards? Can you get AMEX points into a Schwab account without a Schwab Amex card? I have a Schwab account already.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Elephanthead posted:

How do I get AMEX points into a Schwab account? I want the Amex gold business card but I don't see a way to get it Schwab branded. Do I need two cards? Can you get AMEX points into a Schwab account without a Schwab Amex card? I have a Schwab account already.

What do you even mean by in a Schwab account? MR are held by Amex in a global pool until you redeem regardless of the card hat generates them.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

You'd need to sign up for the Schwab Platinum card to redeem membership reward points at 1.25cents each into a Schwab account.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

astral posted:

You'd need to sign up for the Schwab Platinum card to redeem membership reward points at 1.25cents each into a Schwab account.

Thanks the 25% bonus is well worth paying double the annual fees plus cash instead of bed bath and beyond coupons.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

Thanks the 25% bonus is well worth paying double the annual fees plus cash instead of bed bath and beyond coupons.

I can't tell if this was supposed to be sarcasm but the Schwab platinum card has its own bonus on top of all the regular platinum benefits (airline credits, uber, etc); if you were only interested in getting cash out of MR you'd ideally want to get every MR point bonus available/you were interested in first and then get the Schwab Plat to cash out a few thousand dollars.

It's a little harder now with the slightly more strict rules on getting Amex bonuses though; you can't just power them all out in a short time any more.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I was thinking of signing up for an AMEX Essentials card but it bugs me that there isn't any kind of sign-on bonus, does anyone think I would have any luck just calling them and straight-up asking for one?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Grim posted:

I was thinking of signing up for an AMEX Essentials card but it bugs me that there isn't any kind of sign-on bonus, does anyone think I would have any luck just calling them and straight-up asking for one?

No, just signup for the Everyday instead and see if you're targeted for the 25k bonus or let me or someone else refer you for 15k.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Dumb/Minor question but I have the original Chase Freedom and am looking to upgrade it to the Unlimited. Would converting count as closing the old line and starting up a new line (for credit age purposes), or would converting one to the other still keep the age intact?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Converting cards generally keeps the line open for credit-age purposes - I'm pretty sure that the single most common tip over the life of this thread has been getting a CSR or CSP and then converting to the Freedom before the next fee hits.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Weird question. I had a store brand card (LL Bean) that was serviced by Barclays. They changed it to Citi, and changed the rewards. The Barclays card dropped off my credit report, but the Citi card still hasn't shown up, and it's been 5 or 6 months.

How long should it take to appear? It's not a big issue, just weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Fhqwhgads posted:

Dumb/Minor question but I have the original Chase Freedom and am looking to upgrade it to the Unlimited. Would converting count as closing the old line and starting up a new line (for credit age purposes), or would converting one to the other still keep the age intact?

Any reason not to just keep it and apply for an unlimited too? Gets you a sign-up bonus, there's no annual fee on either, and they work nicely together for daily drivers, especially if you have a sapphire of some sort.