Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
Just make sure you use a clamp to secure any heat lamps. I had a cat knock over an unsecured heat lamp once. I wasn't in the room at the time but luckily I was home. The lamp burned a nice round hole in the carpet before I smelled the smoke and found it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Yeaaaaaaaaaaah I lost a great tank because the loving 20 pound cat slept on the screen lid.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Re: tank lids

I made a sturdy cheapo lid from the bargain bin odd lengths of plywood from the farm supply store and some carpenters cloth. A good investment imo

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
well, i am getting BTS(yearling Iriana Jaya) on tuesday or thursday. I have all the info i need but my only question is how do i keep the humidity up. everything says uses cypris bedding and moss interior hides and just use a mist bottle. is that correct?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well, i am getting BTS(yearling Iriana Jaya) on tuesday or thursday. I have all the info i need but my only question is how do i keep the humidity up. everything says uses cypris bedding and moss interior hides and just use a mist bottle. is that correct?

Yup. Get a decent hygrometer and do a manual misting every day or so when you do your other routine poo poo. If you decide that you want an electronic mister down the road there are lots of options.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yup. Get a decent hygrometer and do a manual misting every day or so when you do your other routine poo poo. If you decide that you want an electronic mister down the road there are lots of options.

cool. i already mist my frogs/toads a bunch. so is cypris the best substraight for that. i know it has to be at least 3 inch deep. i am just reconfirming what i read because i want it to thrive.

also manual or digital for hygrometer.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 26, 2018

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also manual or digital for hygrometer.

Whatever is the most accurate/easy to use/durable/aesthetic within your budget. I currently have two aquatic turtles and that’s it so I’m out of the loop as far as specific gear recommendations for terrestrial herps are concerned. I’m sure there are plenty of easily accessible opinions and recommendations though.

Also, we talked ITT in the past about good herp youtubers/educators. Don’t be afraid of shooting somebody like Dan Carter or Clint an email/tweet/PM asking for tips or gear recs. I think both of those dudes have very happy skinks.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 26, 2018

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
After nearly a decade of desperately wanting to get a boa again, and spending the last year looking around, today I was finally able to secure my dream snake - a Tarahumara mountain boa. I'm so excited I had to share it somewhere, and I'll probably be popping in here now and again with questions and updates since it's been about a decade since my last herp. I'm finalizing all the stuff now, here's the little guy I'm hoping to get:

I won't be having him shipped for a couple of weeks yet, to give me time to get an enclosure all set up and thoroughly tested. I'm planning on temporarily doing a tub setup until I can get the time and money to either build something myself, or maybe buy an AP enclosure. I've never done a tub setup before though, anyone have any experience with that and any tips or things I should know? My big concern right now is coming up with a way to secure the lid strongly enough that there'll be no chance of escape. I'm all too familiar with dealing with escaped snakes, I don't want to leave any chance of that happening.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Whatever is the most accurate/easy to use/durable/aesthetic within your budget. I currently have two aquatic turtles and that’s it so I’m out of the loop as far as specific gear recommendations for terrestrial herps are concerned. I’m sure there are plenty of easily accessible opinions and recommendations though.

Also, we talked ITT in the past about good herp youtubers/educators. Don’t be afraid of shooting somebody like Dan Carter or Clint an email/tweet/PM asking for tips or gear recs. I think both of those dudes have very happy skinks.

yeah, i have been reading/watching/talking to the reptile moutain guy(he does mostly skink stuff) and he has given me great pointers. i'll try to post pictures of the little guy when i get him.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Peachy Poo posted:

After nearly a decade of desperately wanting to get a boa again, and spending the last year looking around, today I was finally able to secure my dream snake - a Tarahumara mountain boa. I'm so excited I had to share it somewhere, and I'll probably be popping in here now and again with questions and updates since it's been about a decade since my last herp. I'm finalizing all the stuff now, here's the little guy I'm hoping to get:

I won't be having him shipped for a couple of weeks yet, to give me time to get an enclosure all set up and thoroughly tested. I'm planning on temporarily doing a tub setup until I can get the time and money to either build something myself, or maybe buy an AP enclosure. I've never done a tub setup before though, anyone have any experience with that and any tips or things I should know? My big concern right now is coming up with a way to secure the lid strongly enough that there'll be no chance of escape. I'm all too familiar with dealing with escaped snakes, I don't want to leave any chance of that happening.

Cool boa! I have kept carpets in tubs and some velcro between the tub and lid helped keep it secure. That or get it into a rack-like situation with an immovable shelf above the tub. I have also done one where I drilled holes through the top and tub and secured it with screws and wing nuts but that was a pain to open.

Congrats on the boa. I just got my first last year and he is awesome. He is a hypo bci het Kahl and the chillest snake I have ever owned.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

HungryMedusa posted:

Cool boa! I have kept carpets in tubs and some velcro between the tub and lid helped keep it secure. That or get it into a rack-like situation with an immovable shelf above the tub. I have also done one where I drilled holes through the top and tub and secured it with screws and wing nuts but that was a pain to open.

Congrats on the boa. I just got my first last year and he is awesome. He is a hypo bci het Kahl and the chillest snake I have ever owned.

Velcro sounds like a perfect idea that never would've occurred to me. That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

And yeah, boas are great. My dad and I kept a lot of herps growing up, but our bci was always far and away my favorite. Just a lot of fun to handle, and incredibly chill too. These are a dwarf locality, so I'm excited to be getting that boa personality without all the headache of an 8 foot snake.

Glad you're so happy with yours, I'm always excited to see more people get passionate about my favorite animal!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

right. got the little guy home. he looks like he is about a year old if that. his bedding/substrait is care fresh with spaghanum moss on top, he has 2 hides(one severs as basking spot) and a big water bowl and small food one. he/she is currently hiding under his basking hide which is normal because its new place a bigger cage. he is a little huffy but not bittey. the light is 150 wat and with a smaller uvb next to it. the basking spot is only 87 which worries me and i have only gotten the humitdy to 60. what should i do.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

right. got the little guy home. he looks like he is about a year old if that. his bedding/substrait is care fresh with spaghanum moss on top, he has 2 hides(one severs as basking spot) and a big water bowl and small food one. he/she is currently hiding under his basking hide which is normal because its new place a bigger cage. he is a little huffy but not bittey. the light is 150 wat and with a smaller uvb next to it. the basking spot is only 87 which worries me and i have only gotten the humitdy to 60. what should i do.

everything is better now. i am gonna put moss in small water bowl and see if that helps. poor little thing is still shy. i am gonna have to raise his cage better.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 29, 2018

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Being the dumbest motherfucker alive means I can be wildly entertained by some of the dumbest creatures on this planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLcJHQLcOjc

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

Being the dumbest motherfucker alive means I can be wildly entertained by some of the dumbest creatures on this planet.

the beardies don't seem that dumb. arnt they decently smart for animals.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I mean it only with the greatest of affection. The little dipshits are adorable.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

I mean it only with the greatest of affection. The little dipshits are adorable.

yeah, my girlfriends beardies are cute. the one just sites on my shoulder for hours.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Hello, I was chomped by the ball python yesterday because his defrosted rat wasn't as warm as my hand. Even the sweetest boys can make some very toothy mistakes! I don't hold it against him, that thing should have been run under some hot water.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
One of my corns struck my finger instead of the mouse the other day. She got it at the correct angle to immediately try and swallow my finger. That was fun. A little running water got her to let go without me having to fight her.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
When your leopard gecko grabs onto your finger and you just have to sit there and wait while he keeps trying to bite harder and swallow...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Unless you’re talking monitor lizards most reptiles are quite a bit dumber than the rodents that are raised as reptile chow.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Not gonna lie, I'm surprised by how much smarter my beardie is than I expected. Little fucker knows what live food I keep in what container, which is adorable. I figured at best he would know that the tongs meant food.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Unless you’re talking monitor lizards most reptiles are quite a bit dumber than the rodents that are raised as reptile chow.

true. but my frogs have learned when its cricket time and the one tries to bite my hand/cricket depositor. its not really smarts but its cute.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

true. but my frogs have learned when its cricket time and the one tries to bite my hand/cricket depositor. its not really smarts but its cute.

They're smart enough to figure out we're giant heat rocks that dispense food.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Owlbear Camus posted:

I love how they lean forward almost gently and *hormf* compared to some smaller lizards that do this frantic sprinting lunge.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Ha. There is a bit of a scramble at first, but once they are in lazychomps "just grab them when they hop by" mode they kind of remind me of hungry hungy hippos.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cless Alvein posted:

They're smart enough to figure out we're giant heat rocks that dispense food.

mine view me as giant tree that produces buggos to eat and things to eat and poop on.

its overly anthropomorphic but i swear my one frog just looked me straight in the eyes and then just pushed out a giant poo poo all the while never breaking eye contact. then he leaped on me.

so i got Stannis the skink's tank all worked out(had to redo the bedding completely) when he hit the new bedding he buried himself and i havent seen him since. still buried. all the forums say its what new skinks do alot and i shouldn't worry, but i am making sure.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
While not reptiles, my axolotls do seem to recognize when someone goes near the tank and instantly assume the feed me position.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Whenever I pick up their crickets I see all the interesting models of beardie and I kind of wish my beardies were the smoother, cuter less pointy-pokey morphs, but I love them all the same as their adoptive lizard dad.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

Whenever I pick up their crickets I see all the interesting models of beardie and I kind of wish my beardies were the smoother, cuter less pointy-pokey morphs, but I love them all the same as their adoptive lizard dad.

This is the moment. Yes, lean into it. This where you pick up a metal shelving unit and start adding enclosures. This is where it goes from being some pets you adopted to a goddamn lifestyle.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Electric Bugaloo posted:

This is the moment. Yes, lean into it. This where you pick up a metal shelving unit and start adding enclosures. This is where it goes from being some pets you adopted to a goddamn lifestyle.

I am fighting to be "a guy who owns a couple lizards" instead of "a lizard guy"

My admittedly morbid thought was when I start over in 9 years or however much longer these guys last I'll get a different morph or two to take over in the enclosure. Maybe it will be haunted by lizard ghosts of the previous generation.

I am giving some thought to incubating a single lil egg for friends who requested rather than exercising Lady Onyxia's right to choose on all of them next time she shits out a clutch. But I'm also not going to start breeding them in earnest. From what I've read hatchings basically means "Mountains of crickets are now your life."

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 1, 2018

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I have anxiety dreams where I go into my snake room, and each enclosure has like 6 snakes in it of all kinds of mixed species. I usually find snakes I haven't owned for years all skinny and small and feel terrible. Once I found a turtle mixed in.

I am down to 5 snakes of 4 different species now down from 23 when I had carpet python hatchlings. It is fun to breed, and where I am there is a healthy market for them, I just can't have that many animals all the time. I do start dreaming of adding a female boa, then I see someone on facebook have a clutch of 43 and hold myself back. I get wanting all the morphs for sure.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Few things feel worse when owning a snake than when they want another mouse (the rats are too large to feed right now and no babies yet) but I can't give them just one more because I fed out all the feeders when the colony crashed and the rats had issues and the ball python just STARES AT ME.

And then when I cave in and give her a mouse she ignores it, or does the defensive strike.

edit: our blue eyed lucy male ball, named Axolotl, mostly because when we got him, it was also the only time I had ever seen axies at a herp show, but they looked terrible, is so loving chill. I love the little bastard. Even if he brought snake mites in.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

HungryMedusa posted:

I have anxiety dreams where I go into my snake room, and each enclosure has like 6 snakes in it of all kinds of mixed species. I usually find snakes I haven't owned for years all skinny and small and feel terrible. Once I found a turtle mixed in.

I am down to 5 snakes of 4 different species now down from 23 when I had carpet python hatchlings. It is fun to breed, and where I am there is a healthy market for them, I just can't have that many animals all the time. I do start dreaming of adding a female boa, then I see someone on facebook have a clutch of 43 and hold myself back. I get wanting all the morphs for sure.

I have that dream too! You open the tank and realize in horror that you bought half a dozen new snakes a year ago, and you've forgotten. I also have a reoccurring one where a snake breaks in half and forms a new one, and all of a sudden I have twice as many to take care of. That one's a little weirder.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

that sounds genuinely upsetting i'm glad i got the kind of snakes that are fairly small, and also have legs

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

hyperhazard posted:

I have that dream too! You open the tank and realize in horror that you bought half a dozen new snakes a year ago, and you've forgotten
Haha, that's incredible, I used to have the same dream with fish tanks. Just this dread at realizing I've completely neglected a bunch of tanks I forgot I had, and they're all disgusting and murky.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Ha holy poo poo, I'm glad it's not just me. I did have one particularly good dream where the extra snakes were neon pink and blue green tree pythons. That was a disappointing awakening. I haven't had the one splits into two yet.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
:same:

I also have a reoccuring nightmare where I'm trying to save my reptiles from a fire, but sometimes there's not enough time to grab them all and I have to choose which ones to save. :(

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Samila posted:

I also have a reoccuring nightmare where I'm trying to save my reptiles from a fire, but sometimes there's not enough time to grab them all and I have to choose which ones to save. :(

gently caress that noise. if there ever was a fire in my house I'd probably just stay put, because gently caress it, I could never get HALF my pets out, let alone the feeders and all my fish.

I have had the zombie dream where I have to let all the animals go to try and give them a fighting chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Samila posted: