Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Hey y'all. I parachuted in to the last thread asking for some advice talking to the priest that would be performing the baptism of my girlfriend's daughter since I wasn't much of a believer.

Just figured I'd give an update: the baptism's the end of next month. So, yeah. That's going well. Thanks for the advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

The Phlegmatist posted:

I'm out. I've deleted all my social media accounts, and this will be the last one.

The Seven Sorrows do not gently caress around. I cried the first time I attended Mass seeing Christ up on the cross, which I guess would be an embarrassing thing to happen to an ex-Calvinist. That went away after a few Sunday Masses. And then I started up with the Servite Rosary two years later and the tears immediately came back when I attended Mass. I'm a weird data scientist STEMlord, I have no idea what's going on with that.

Just be good. Don't let other people get to you. Take the locus of control and put it inside yourself whenever you hear something that aggrieves you and then partake in the healing sacraments of your church. It takes a lot of effort for a person to be both their statue and their sculptor, but we have a little trick in the fact that grace abounds.

Bye.

Goodbye, and thanks for making these threads so great while you were here.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

The Phlegmatist posted:

I'm out. I've deleted all my social media accounts, and this will be the last one.

The Seven Sorrows do not gently caress around. I cried the first time I attended Mass seeing Christ up on the cross, which I guess would be an embarrassing thing to happen to an ex-Calvinist. That went away after a few Sunday Masses. And then I started up with the Servite Rosary two years later and the tears immediately came back when I attended Mass. I'm a weird data scientist STEMlord, I have no idea what's going on with that.

Just be good. Don't let other people get to you. Take the locus of control and put it inside yourself whenever you hear something that aggrieves you and then partake in the healing sacraments of your church. It takes a lot of effort for a person to be both their statue and their sculptor, but we have a little trick in the fact that grace abounds.

Bye.

You made the thread and me a better place, come back anytime :sympathy:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ebruenig/status/1034976293291544576

Lol

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
honestly some of the hierarchy come off as whiny babies, like the people who didn’t want the statute of limitations increased for child molestation

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I'm sick with rage and sadness but I still believe the faith itself is beautiful and the Church is more than its worst moments. But goddamn.

feldhase
Apr 27, 2011

The Phlegmatist posted:

Bye.

take care, you'll be missed!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Quite apart from any political or theological stuff the big disappointment of the Francis papacy is that he just didnt take the entire bureaucracy in a room and drop a loving cluster bomb on it because, as a wise woman once said, its the only way to be sure

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Godspeed Phlegmatist, we miss you already!

Now he won't be able to see that wonderful caricature I found today of a "Pfarr-Konkurs" in 1897 :( A Pfarr-Konkurs was an exam that was necessary in order to get the coveted position of a parish priest. It took four days and consisted out of a written exam in dogmatics, exegesis, moral theology, church history, canon law, pastoral theology, catechetics, pedagogy and homiletics as well as a homily a prospective parish priest had to give to the the examination board, and the whole thing was supposed to be pretty hard as well as extremely important for a priest's future career - getting a bad grade here would doom you to either never lead a parish at all or to likely spend the rest of your days as a small-time rural priest covering tiny and poor parishes.

The examiner asks: "Which vesper is said at the feast day of John the Baptist, I or II?". The priest answers (in Swabian dialect): "I think - the - first!"

(This is probably an insanely obscure liturgy gag too, I'm guessing? Anyway I wouldn't know :v:)

e: also I've just found out that my diocese's archive also contains a number of folders labelled "Inepta" which basically means letters or pamphlets by lunatics... or people critical of the Catholic Church :v: I'm morbidly curious to look at them now, will report here when that eventually happens sometime, maybe.

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 30, 2018

Caufman
May 7, 2007
One regular departs, one regular returns. I went out-of-town and took a couple weeks off from social media. But I prayed about this community daily, and I tried to remember as many of your names and intentions as I could, and I vow to do better as I stick around.

The time away has been very fruitful. Despite the chaos and ugliness of the world, I'm more confident than ever that the way through this mess and out of this mess will be in compassion, both in its gentle and fierce forms. The pain is everywhere, and the consequences are life-and-death, but neither despair nor bitterness will ultimately help. We will either touch this pain and transform it, or we will give the next generations the best chance to recover and emerge victorious where we failed.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Lutha Mahtin posted:

gonna miss thos phlegms

he's catholic, surely you wanted to go with "I;m thinking about thos beads"

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Ukraine Orthodox Church seeks “spiritual split” from Russia

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

There is really no right way to handle this at the moment. Should they split, there will still be a sizeable minority of people who want to stay with ROC, or with Kievan Patriarchate, or with one of the smaller splinter groups no matter what, and knowing history of religious conflicts in Ukraine, there is absolutely going to be religious violence, because old tensions from decades and centuries ago are still very much alive. I support Ukrainian autocephaly in principle, but boy, is it hard to choose the right time for it, and boy, is it not the right time right now.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Paladinus posted:

There is really no right way to handle this at the moment. Should they split, there will still be a sizeable minority of people who want to stay with ROC, or with Kievan Patriarchate, or with one of the smaller splinter groups no matter what, and knowing history of religious conflicts in Ukraine, there is absolutely going to be religious violence, because old tensions from decades and centuries ago are still very much alive. I support Ukrainian autocephaly in principle, but boy, is it hard to choose the right time for it, and boy, is it not the right time right now.

it sends a message to moscow--not only where they stand in relation to ukraine, but where they stand in relation to constantinople. they were only elevated to a patriarchate in 1589--and before then kiev was the seat for far longer than it had been in moscow.

edit: this is all the more pressing since they discovered russia trying to hack into Patriarch Bartholomew's emails and those of the OCA. putin can't just do whatever he wants forever.

https://apnews.com/26815e0d06d348f4b85350e96b78f6a8

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 31, 2018

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

HEY GUNS posted:

it sends a message to moscow--not only where they stand in relation to ukraine, but where they stand in relation to constantinople. they were only elevated to a patriarchate in 1589--and before then kiev was the seat for far longer than it had been in moscow.

edit: this is all the more pressing since they discovered russia trying to hack into Patriarch Bartholomew's emails and those of the OCA. putin can't just do whatever he wants forever.

I don't really care what message it may send to Putin, if regular people suffer as a result. On top of that, it's bound to create even more chaos in Ukraine, which Russia will love and exploit for propaganda.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
it’s not like the situation in ukraine is peaceful

whether it’s a provocation or not poo poo’s already bad in the ukraine so whatever

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

whether it’s a provocation or not poo poo’s already bad in the ukraine so whatever

"let's all be nice to putin otherwise the ensuing war is your fault" is an old, old tactic

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Senju Kannon posted:

No, it's not whatever. It's pouring gasoline on open fire. And that's not even going into the whole 'one nation, one church' rhetoric that president Poroshenko openly peddles. It's going to exacerbate the conflict in Eastern Ukraine, it's going to cement Russia's support in Crimea, it's going to once again reignite conflicts in Western Ukraine, leading to a huge wave of religious violence from all sides. It's going to be like the 90-s all over with Greek Catholics, and Orthodox Christians from UOC(KP), UOC(MP), and UAOC resorting to violence to take churches from each other.

HEY GUNS posted:

"let's all be nice to putin otherwise the ensuing war is your fault" is an old, old tactic

It's not being not nice to Putin, it's being 'not nice' to hundreds of thousands, if not millions of Ukrainians. The majority of them do not support Putin in any way, too. Recent polls show almost 30% of Ukrainians outside of currently occupied territories don't support autocephaly, with around 20% of them strongly opposing it. It's not exactly something that all Ukrainians agree on.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HEY GUNS posted:

So what you're saying is, they should declare themselves autocephalous and restore the rightful order of things by asserting their hierarchical superiority over Moscow?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

crosspost :can: lol

StrixNebulosa posted:

Does anyone in here know of any games that simulate being a priest/pastor? Graveyard Keeper has given me a bizarre itch - I like the patterns of decorating the church, preaching every sunday, and so on.

And no. No. Hitman 2016 does not count.

i just posted rn to them that the only game i'm familiar with that sort of has some similar themes is Papers Please. to me that game captures some of the tension that pastors feel where they are pulled in multiple uncomfortable directions by different important stakeholders. for me it's also an interesting question having a parent who's a clergy because i got to spend hours as a kid being bored as heck sitting around watching my dad do pastoral duties

Caufman
May 7, 2007

citybeatnik posted:

Hey y'all. I parachuted in to the last thread asking for some advice talking to the priest that would be performing the baptism of my girlfriend's daughter since I wasn't much of a believer.

Just figured I'd give an update: the baptism's the end of next month. So, yeah. That's going well. Thanks for the advice.

Hey, welcome back. I'm hoping for a hilarious baptism.

What's been your experience talking with the folks at this church?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

crosspost :can: lol

i just posted rn to them that the only game i'm familiar with that sort of has some similar themes is Papers Please. to me that game captures some of the tension that pastors feel where they are pulled in multiple uncomfortable directions by different important stakeholders. for me it's also an interesting question having a parent who's a clergy because i got to spend hours as a kid being bored as heck sitting around watching my dad do pastoral duties

Different gameplay direction again, but I liked my Pillars of Eternity I & II, Priest of Eothas run. Eothas did nothing wrong :can:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
There is a German pastor simulator, but I don't remember the name. It wasn't very good, I think.

E: it was The Guild 2. You could play as a priest there.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Sep 1, 2018

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I've been pining for a early modern diocesan simulator for so long, you have no idea. I wanna make decisions like "this priest is obviously well qualified for that parish, but otoh the dimwit son of a local noblemen (who has generously given for the cathedral's new altar) also would like to get that specific parish, also it's the Enlightenment now and the duke wants to secularise all your holdings and dissolve all monasteries, oh and one of your cathedral canons has turned jansensist and started some poo poo with the abbot of a powerful abbey nearby who still insists on performing exorcisms on cows who stopped giving milk"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I suppose if we wait long enough Crusader Kings might include a priest simulator. It does everything else.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Well I've been playing prison architect lately, though the closest you get is employing a priest to absolve dudes on death row :/

System Metternich posted:

I've been pining for a early modern diocesan simulator for so long, you have no idea. I wanna make decisions like "this priest is obviously well qualified for that parish, but otoh the dimwit son of a local noblemen (who has generously given for the cathedral's new altar) also would like to get that specific parish, also it's the Enlightenment now and the duke wants to secularise all your holdings and dissolve all monasteries, oh and one of your cathedral canons has turned jansensist and started some poo poo with the abbot of a powerful abbey nearby who still insists on performing exorcisms on cows who stopped giving milk"

I love you.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
can your early modern religion sim tie-into my early modern regiment sim???

anyway
https://vn.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulate/embassy/sections-offices/pas/

look at the list of us vietnam embassy officials until you find the person relevant to this thread. Read closely, i promise it's worth it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Paladinus posted:

There is a German pastor simulator, but I don't remember the name. It wasn't very good, I think.

E: it was The Guild 2. You could play as a priest there.

there's a german everything else simulator

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Guild 2 is only terrible if you play it unmodded, imo anyway - the megamod (on Steam workshop) makes it a fairly decent game, tho still really wonky and frustrating (because the game's original devs sucked and while the game is very moddable, some of the base code mods work with apparently sucks), also frustrating because virtually all the modders work in German originally and then translate badly (or not at all) to English.

Basically, I'm annoyed that German games so frequently don't really do localizations for anywhere else, even when they sell in other languages - it's annoying when one is sold a game in one language then discovers that basically everything for that game (particularly re documentation!) is in another language.

Tias
May 25, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

can your early modern religion sim tie-into my early modern regiment sim???

anyway
https://vn.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulate/embassy/sections-offices/pas/

look at the list of us vietnam embassy officials until you find the person relevant to this thread. Read closely, i promise it's worth it.

Pope Thrower would be a decent name for an early modern/warhammer crossover Bolt Thrower cover band.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hitman let's you dress up as a priest :v:
I've always kinda wanted to do a card driven game a la Twilight Struggle about the political fallout of Vatican ii but I don't really think there's a tasteful way to handle the abuse crisis

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
About, I don't know, 15 years ago? Even earlier? Somebody, i think an actual Lutheran pastor, wrote a text adventure where you played a Lutheran pastor. You got to do things like try to figure out a hospital's corridors so you could visit a sick parishoner, pick up your wife's dry cleaning, chair a meeting of the parish council, review fliers the youth group made to promote their event, try to find some candles you could swear were in the storage room, write your sermon, lose the game because you decided instead of writing the sermon you'd play just one game of Tetris.

It might not be the most exciting game, I remember when I was playing it, I felt horribly busy and stressed for time as I'd try and inevitably fail to get everything done in the day I tried to do.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

System Metternich posted:

Man, I would play that. So many interesting decisions you can pack into that, but it'd be a hard sell and nigh impossible to get made without someone with strong opinions trying to write in What Should Be Correct via a modern lens.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 1, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

Pope Thrower would be a decent name for an early modern/warhammer crossover Bolt Thrower cover band.

another year, another application to the US embassy at the Vatican rejected

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

HopperUK posted:

I suppose if we wait long enough Crusader Kings might include a priest simulator. It does everything else.

Maybe for CK3, but for some obstinate reason Paradox absolutely refuses to make playable theocracies, and this upcoming DLC (which is heavily religion-themed, but still no dice) is supposed to be the last one.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 1, 2018

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Maybe for CK2, but for some obstinate reason Paradox absolutely refuses to make playable theocracies, and this upcoming DLC (which is heavily religion-themed, but still no dice) is supposed to be the last one.

CK2 is a dynasty simulator, really, where you play as the leader of a family throughout the game, and playing as a theocracy, which has its own succession laws that aren't family based, doesn't really work well with the rest of that.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Giving the homily / "reflection on the word" :rolleyes: for Labor Sunday. What's y'all's best hot take on preaching labor?

Tias
May 25, 2008

that the rich are in fact not good and that trickle down economics are downright satanic?

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Oh James 5:1-5 is already in there don't you worry.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

That work, even if difficult, can be/is a mercy that dulls or distracts from other pains or worries in life. Had a boss tell me as much when I was in an especially rough spot. I hated my job there, but months of unemployment/mental issues were worse. Still had the mental issues, but I wasn’t focusing on them for at least 9 hours a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
The last mass I listened on the internet radio had a nice choir, which was nice. The local church (a thoroughly meh modernist piece which my gf described as "a warehouse with an altar in it") choir sounds like half of them members are there for their own funeral and with the internet radio going to a different church every time it's very much a crap shoot on the quality of homily and the singing that you'll get.

Caufman posted:

Different gameplay direction again, but I liked my Pillars of Eternity I & II, Priest of Eothas run. Eothas did nothing wrong :can:

Running Priest of Eothas in Pillars I.

You get to ask the first NPC companion you find what Eothas is :rolleyes: