Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In the case of Apple I believe their ARM processors are going to be competitive or even faster than Intel processors really soon. On their phones no one else has matched their speeds yet, even with the new 2018 Android phones vs the 2017 Apple phones. Apple is known for the walled gardens so I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually want to manufacture everything in their laptops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I do not think apple switching to ARM would help them sell more things :shrug:

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Atomizer posted:

Also, on the subject of battery life I had a thought: who the hell would actually need a 25-hour laptop battery? Someone who's glamping, but not near any power source? A workday's worth of life (plus a buffer to compensate for age-related decay) should be more than enough.
25 hours of active use translates under my use conditions to probably about 60 hours of sleep mode in a bag and then maybe about 2 hours of active use are left, for anything not made by Apple. (They seem to manage to have sleep mode that's more like hibernate but without the ridiculous startup/shutdown time.)
Sometimes you just don't want to get a thing out of a bag to plug it in when you haven't even used it.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

25 hours tested/advertised translates to about 10 hours real world, so I could totally see that.

My laptop is advertised to have I think 12, gets 8.5 according to Notebookcheck, and I killed it with a 6 hour meeting today where it had to do nothing but videoconference and take notes in a Google doc

That's...a pretty huge discrepancy. :stare: I can understand an ordinary laptop having an advertised life of >10 hours, but with light use, low brightness, and limited WiFi activity, translating to a few hours less than that in real usage. 10 hours however is 40% of 25, and that's easily in false advertising territory.

roomforthetuna posted:

25 hours of active use translates under my use conditions to probably about 60 hours of sleep mode in a bag and then maybe about 2 hours of active use are left, for anything not made by Apple. (They seem to manage to have sleep mode that's more like hibernate but without the ridiculous startup/shutdown time.)
Sometimes you just don't want to get a thing out of a bag to plug it in when you haven't even used it.

I've commented recently here about how some devices are better at holding a charge while "off" than others, but what you're describing here is a weird scenario about not really using your device which isn't quite what we're discussing.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Atomizer posted:

Kudos to going with the cheap base option on easily-upgradeable components, but oof, I can't imagine going back to anything other than a full SSD for a system drive. I commented here (I'm pretty sure it was this thread at least) where I outlined my thought process on an upgrade to an older laptop, and while an SSHD was an option I just had to go with a lower-capacity SSD since the performance difference was too great.

Well now im the rear end in a top hat who is complaining about slow speeds with a HDD in 2018. I was pleasantly suprised to see that this laptop has a 2.5 SATA drive in it, which I luckily have a 128 GB SSD in this size sitting in an old desktop PC. But yeah, in my mind I was saying "how bad could it be? I can deal with that for a couple months!" Its unbearable if you have used solid state at all.

I fixed my issues with the trackpad by turning off an option that allows a double tap to be a click and drag function. The trackpad feels solid now, on par with my 2013 MBP. It seems the disk has settled down, so whoever mentioned it was probably a bunch of windows and dell bloatware updating in the background running my disk to 100% was probably correct. I still am on the fence with the size and weight 15 inch laptop though, so we will see if I end up downsizing to a 13 inch. Although, Dell claims they charge a 15% restocking fee for non-defective returns, so I may be stuck at this point.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Atomizer posted:

I've commented recently here about how some devices are better at holding a charge while "off" than others, but what you're describing here is a weird scenario about not really using your device which isn't quite what we're discussing.
Well, the question was "who would want 25 hours of battery life". "Someone who wants their laptop to still work after not using it for a while and it's not plugged in" was the answer I was offering. I realize it's not the same answer other people were giving, that's what makes it worth mentioning!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i dont even think i could use my laptop 25 hours in a day if i tried

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Mu Zeta posted:

In the case of Apple I believe their ARM processors are going to be competitive or even faster than Intel processors really soon.

[citation needed]

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Kanish posted:

Well now im the rear end in a top hat who is complaining about slow speeds with a HDD in 2018. I was pleasantly suprised to see that this laptop has a 2.5 SATA drive in it, which I luckily have a 128 GB SSD in this size sitting in an old desktop PC. But yeah, in my mind I was saying "how bad could it be? I can deal with that for a couple months!" Its unbearable if you have used solid state at all.

I fixed my issues with the trackpad by turning off an option that allows a double tap to be a click and drag function. The trackpad feels solid now, on par with my 2013 MBP. It seems the disk has settled down, so whoever mentioned it was probably a bunch of windows and dell bloatware updating in the background running my disk to 100% was probably correct. I still am on the fence with the size and weight 15 inch laptop though, so we will see if I end up downsizing to a 13 inch. Although, Dell claims they charge a 15% restocking fee for non-defective returns, so I may be stuck at this point.

Yup, SSDs are like going black...if you know what I mean. :heysexy: Even a low-end DRAMless SATA SSD is better than any HDD as a boot drive.

SSHDs in theory could function well, but most of them have been slow 5400 RPM HDDs with 8 GB of low-end NAND. There's like one Momentus XT 750 GB running at 7200 RPM, and another model with 32 GB of NAND, but those are discontinued. The 2 TB Seagate FireCuda is actually a SMR drive, meaning it's more suited for storage and NOT as a boot drive, and the NAND is basically there to mitigate the performance penalty of SMR if used as you'd expect to, because you sure as hell don't need a hybrid drive for archival or media storage.

That being said, I've been experimenting with PrimoCache and using spare SSDs (and RAM) to cache HDDs (full of games.) This arrangement is actually helpful and is a good way to match low-capacity SSDs that otherwise wouldn't be useful with HDDs that you're probably required to use for bulk storage due to the price premium of solid-state. I still wouldn't prefer to use it as a system drive, however.

roomforthetuna posted:

Well, the question was "who would want 25 hours of battery life". "Someone who wants their laptop to still work after not using it for a while and it's not plugged in" was the answer I was offering. I realize it's not the same answer other people were giving, that's what makes it worth mentioning!

What I'm saying is that not only do different devices behave unpredictably when off or in standby, we're talking about that active use number, both in the sense that it's unnecessary and problematic if it's exaggerated.

Statutory Ape posted:

:downsrim:

Seriously though, even if you use the laptop all day, you're eventually going to plug it in overnight so absurd battery life (at the expense of performance) isn't a tradeoff I'd want to make.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

[citation needed]

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
oh. huh.

that'd be cool, then.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Atomizer posted:

What I'm saying is that not only do different devices behave unpredictably when off or in standby, we're talking about that active use number, both in the sense that it's unnecessary and problematic if it's exaggerated.
I realize that's what you're saying. What I'm saying is that talking exclusively about that active use number is kind of a daft way to answer the question, because obviously the purpose of a 25 hour battery life isn't "so you can use it for 25 hours nonstop every day".

It's clearly there to support other use cases, like alternating standby and active for several days without having to plug it in. Maybe sometimes you're flying to Australia or something.

The only way a battery is clearly too much battery is if nobody with that laptop has ever run out of battery for any reason.

25 battery life is not saying "this is how we expect you're going to use it every day", the purpose of a long-lived battery is so that even 90% of the occasional out of battery experiences are eliminated. Because each instance of that experience is a disproportionate pain in the rear end.

Also maybe for battery life decay, if you think the laptop is going to be useful long enough for that to matter. Still having 12 hour battery life after 2 years would be nice.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Welp, Thinkpad pulled a Dell. Unlike every other current T or X series, it looks like there's no 1440p screen option on the X1 Xtreem. It's the exact same poo poo as the XPS 15: matte 1080p or glossy 4K HDR touch and gently caress you if you want anything in between.

Godfuckingdamnit Lenovo. YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE. :cry:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Statutory Ape posted:

Long haul international flight. :v:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Unsinkabear posted:

Welp, Thinkpad pulled a Dell. Unlike every other current T or X series, it looks like there's no 1440p screen option on the X1 Xtreem. It's the exact same poo poo as the XPS 15: matte 1080p or glossy 4K HDR touch and gently caress you if you want anything in between.

Godfuckingdamnit Lenovo. YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE. :cry:

16:9 is enough of a lose already. What is their thinking on not making the matte 4K too?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Being nearly $4000 in Canada makes it a losing proposition anyways. I like thinkpads, but not enough to pay an $1800 premium over an XPS - especially given Lenovo build quality decline.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What build quality decline? The Thinkpad I bought last year is much better than the T42 I started with in 2004.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Haven't you heard, their screens can't even get 50% ARGB :jerkbag:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

that is not what people are talking about when they mention build quality :shrug:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Geekbench is not a real world performance benchmark unlike things like game performance or more intensive media applications like 4K encodings.

The more real world applications are also more useful since they reveal things like thermal throttling issues.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Statutory Ape posted:

that is not what people are talking about when they mention build quality :shrug:

My point was that Rime's comments about Lenovo so far were not in line with the actual facts/specs and they seem to have a weird posting vendetta :shrug:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

wooger posted:

16:9 is enough of a lose already. What is their thinking on not making the matte 4K too?

matte tends to get slightly worse contrast, sharpness and color reproduction vibrance compared to glossy finishes.

So it's more tradeoff and probably why companies like dell use glossy finish for the more expensive 4k screen.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

Geekbench is not a real world performance benchmark unlike things like game performance or more intensive media applications like 4K encodings.

The more real world applications are also more useful since they reveal things like thermal throttling issues.

presumably the A13x, or whatever it is in a macbook pro 2020, would have active cooling allowing it to hit higher clocks though.

Also, Apple ARMs are already on 10nm TSMC and are rumored to make 7nm this year.

yeah they are slightly ahead of the curve

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

etalian posted:

matte tends to get slightly worse contrast, sharpness and color reproduction vibrance compared to glossy finishes.

So it's more tradeoff and probably why companies like dell use glossy finish for the more expensive 4k screen.

It's a trade-off either way, not a clear upgrade. For that slight improvement across the board you get worse visibility anywhere there's glare. And that's not a fringe concern, enough people care that notebookcheck includes an outdoor test in every review. The only reason gloss gets treated as a pure upgrade and not a preference option is the same reason we're making dumb sacrifices for thinness no one really needs: this market runs on first impressions more than practical daily-use design.

Removing options for no clear reason other than it's what everyone else is doing is annoying, when any brand does it. It's especially annoying when the thing removed is one of the only things that makes them distinct as a brand. It would be one thing if they didn't already have access to 1440p screens in 15", but the T580 exists

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 1, 2018

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lube banjo posted:

presumably the A13x, or whatever it is in a macbook pro 2020, would have active cooling allowing it to hit higher clocks though.

Also, Apple ARMs are already on 10nm TSMC and are rumored to make 7nm this year.

yeah they are slightly ahead of the curve
Doesn't the iPhone 8 processor already have a stupid number of cores though? If it takes it 6 cores to match a dual core i5, isn't arm still going to get creamed now that Intel is switching to 4 cores?

This probably means that Intel's low power chips are doomed, though, which explains why Microsoft is putting so much effort into arm: in the future they are going to have to have arm version to compete with low power ultraportables like Chromebooks which is something they have clearly been desperate to do.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I want to get a portable laptop with good battery life for coding (mostly R/Python/SQL etc., for working with larger datasets I have a desktop replacement I can use instead) and general writing/browsing. I had a refurb XPS 13 that got stolen recently but was great otherwise. I'd prefer a 13" screen, 8 gb of RAM and an SSD. I like the idea of something that works well with a stylus so I can annotate PDFs and whatnot, but it's not a high priority. USB-C charging would also be a plus.

I'd like to spend under $900.

I did really like my old XPS, but if the 2 in 1 is basically the same with the option of a stylus I'd go for that instead. I haven't looked as much at Thinkpad options, or other stuff like Zenbooks etc. Are there any other laptops I should seriously consider for that feature list? The Yoga's seem quite nice, but for the price it seems hard to get one that's equivalent to a refurb XPS.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

isndl posted:

Long haul international flight. :v:

No no, you see, if you fly West, then you end up traveling back in time, so your laptop battery ends up with a higher charge than when you left! :eng101:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

foutre posted:

I want to get a portable laptop with good battery life for coding (mostly R/Python/SQL etc., for working with larger datasets I have a desktop replacement I can use instead) and general writing/browsing. I had a refurb XPS 13 that got stolen recently but was great otherwise. I'd prefer a 13" screen, 8 gb of RAM and an SSD. I like the idea of something that works well with a stylus so I can annotate PDFs and whatnot, but it's not a high priority. USB-C charging would also be a plus.

I'd like to spend under $900.

I did really like my old XPS, but if the 2 in 1 is basically the same with the option of a stylus I'd go for that instead. I haven't looked as much at Thinkpad options, or other stuff like Zenbooks etc. Are there any other laptops I should seriously consider for that feature list? The Yoga's seem quite nice, but for the price it seems hard to get one that's equivalent to a refurb XPS.

2 in 1s are the better option if stylus is a must have feature.

Dell has some refurb newer 2-1s for around $1000:
https://m.dell.com/h5/m/us/r/outlet...XaKR8w6q4xBJalR

Lenovo Yoga pads refurbs seem to run into $1200 to $1300 range:
http://search3.outlet.lenovo.com/search?w=yoga&fsearch=yes

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Atomizer posted:

No no, you see, if you fly West, then you end up traveling back in time, so your laptop battery ends up with a higher charge than when you left! :eng101:

hmm interesting lifehack ill have to try this any word if this works on mac too or just pc

E: im done buying adapters for $100

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

$600 premium Chromebooks are coming

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/09/600-chromebooks-are-a-dangerous-development-for-microsoft/

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

What do you 2-in-1 people actually use the stylus for? Are you super hardcore note takers, am I missing something, or is it mostly about the tent mode?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Unsinkabear posted:

What do you 2-in-1 people actually use the stylus for? Are you super hardcore note takers, am I missing something, or is it mostly about the tent mode?
In terms of styluses in general, I have a samsung android tablet with a stylus that that I use for things like taking notes on pdf files. It's basically one of those things where either you have a specific thing you want it for or you will never need it, but if you need it for something it's very helpful to have at least one device that you can do it on.

In general, 2-in-1's seem like they end up being more trouble than just carrying two separate devices, but for the education market laptops with styluses might make sense. In college I feel like it would have been really convenient to be able to mostly take notes by typing but to also be able to draw diagrams when necessary.

Also, because of android support, 2-in-1 functionality might actually be useful on a chromebook as long as it works sufficiently well in laptop mode as well (the one's that actually detach can be annoyingly top heavy, but maybe they have gotten better?)

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 1, 2018

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Unsinkabear posted:

After using a Surface for a few years I've come to the conclusion that my personal use case doesn't necessitate a stylus. Tent mode for a reduced footprint while watching videos around the house is still worthwhile though, and I intend to assemble a nicer dock setup that can also take advantage of the tent arrangement.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

mystes posted:

It's basically one of those things where either you have a specific thing you want it for or you will never need it

Okay this is actually great to know, thanks! I thought it would be the opposite: one of those things where it seems like you'll never need it, but is a huge QoL thing once you start using it. I can cross the X1 yoga off my FOMO list now :shobon: Now I'm "only" looking at keeping this T480s, returning it for an X1 Carbon + eGPU, or settling for an FHD X1 Extreme (boo).

My heart wants X1 Carbon + eGPU... this T480s is great for Overwatch but gets mighty hot in Destiny 2. But I'm worried about the eGPU setup being potentially finnicky since I don't know anyone who has actually done it.

I could also just keep the T480s and attempt an eGPU setup on it, with the option to fall back on the internal MX150 if it fails. That machine supposedly has better cooling for it than the X1 anyway. But I just don't understand connection tech well enough to know if its two-lane TB3 plug will become a bottleneck in the future, or if it will always be enough bandwidth as long as I'm using an external monitor.

Can anyone enlighten me?
Nvm, gently caress all that. The more I research the more eGPU looks like an unnecessary pain in the rear end. Gonna either keep the T480s or return it for an X1 Xtreem, have till Friday to decide.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 1, 2018

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

As a Surface Pro 2 owner for many years, I can say that I used my stylus to draw mustaches on people I didn't like, hth.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
It's been over a decade since I purchased/owned a laptop so I'm heavily out of the game so any help is appreciated. In the near future here I have a few vacations/trips/etc planned and usually I just use my phone for work/playing media/emails/etc when I'm gone. These are going to be more extended trips so I wouldn't mind having a larger screen/keyboard/etc. Essentially I just want to be able to stream media from my plex server, basic browsing/youtube/email, and at it's most stressed play some really simple type games like stardew valley so I'm trying to keep it as cheap as reasonably possible. No real budget but I'd like to keep it sub-$500 or so.

I've had my eyes on a few different spec'd 15" Dell Inspiron 5000's on the outlet, particularly this one: https://tinyurl.com/y7q8jl5l
Basic important spec's if the link doesn't work or breaks or something:
Dell Inspiron 15 5000(5570)
-Intel i5-8250U Quad-Core
-8GB Ram
-256GB SSD
-15in 1920x1080 screen
-Windows 10
-$460 on the outlet

Would something like that be overkill for my needs or just enough or should I look for something more powerful?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Unsinkabear posted:

For me it is drawing and painting in PS. I also use it in tent mode to play solitaire.

Kidding aside, the stylus saved me a ton of time when I was designing a knit piece in Photoshop last month. It is much faster than a mouse when in a graphics program. I find writing words with it incredibly frustrating, but if you have an art use for it, it might be worth it.

For reference, I have the XPS 15 2 in 1. This is the best machine I have ever owned, but my situation is pretty rare. I do light artwork/photo editing on it, light gaming and lots of web browsing. I can't see everyone wanting a gimped XPS 15 just for the touchscreen/ foldy parts, but it is exactly what I need.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

etalian posted:

2 in 1s are the better option if stylus is a must have feature.

Dell has some refurb newer 2-1s for around $1000:
https://m.dell.com/h5/m/us/r/outlet...XaKR8w6q4xBJalR

Lenovo Yoga pads refurbs seem to run into $1200 to $1300 range:
http://search3.outlet.lenovo.com/search?w=yoga&fsearch=yes

Thanks! Ended up finding a Yoga 730 for $700 that was really well-reviewed by NotebookCheck. Going to try it out some, but it looks promising so far. For whatever reason the base Amazon price ended up being a bit better than the Lenovo Labor Day sale.

Unsinkabear posted:

I use the stylus for notetaking on PDFs (tend to have like ~150 pages a week and don't want to kill trees/type out comments) and drawing in Photoshop and whatnot. It's definitely not an 'everyone will use this' kind of thing but I like it a lot.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

So I've been using the same mid-2010 MacBook Pro since mid-2010 (I had a battery changed out in ~2013, otherwise pretty much the base model), and it's basically Shelly Levene from Glengarry Glen Ross at this point.

I'm looking at budget options at the moment, and the specs on this Lenovo IdeaPad 330 seem pretty great for the price just looking around and comparing stuff head to head. Am I missing something obviously lovely about it? I think the most strenuous thing I put my current laptop through is playing Dota 2 and if it could handle it that laptop should be able to also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Bob Morales posted:

I’d be curious as to what an intel “guts” costs for a laptop vs arm. $100 less? Who cares in that case.

People who are comparing a $400 Surface Go with a $350 iPad care. Nobody is talking about ARM taking over the entire x86 market, including all the poo poo coded in FORTRAN and Visual Basic 6. It's mainly for portables, especially low-power portables that ARM is starting to edge out Intel in power/watt.

The thing with Apple is that nobody knows what they're doing until they unveil it, and then everybody is left scrambling. Microsoft doesn't want another iPhone repeat. And this time they've got a CEO who's not an idiot. Anyway I guess this isn't the right thread for that kind of discussion.