Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Design-wise antibirth is also way... Weirder and harder. I found it a lot more frustrating than even release AB+ was, some of the enemies and bosses are just kinda nasty to go against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

It's very much designed with people who were already really good at Isaac in mind. The alt path is significantly harder than the normal way, excepting most of the corpse due to being blatantly unfinished. Also there's a lot of items/consumables added with heavier risk/reward in mind, such as my two favourite additions of antibirth, Damocles, a use item that spawns a sword over isaac's head that will eventually fall and instantly kill you from any amount of health, but the chance starts at 0% per 4 frames that pass, and increases by .1% per 4 frames everytime you take a hit, but in trade you get doubled item pedestals and any extra spawned items are free. The other one, magic skin, is a 6 bar charge use item that spawns an item from the current room's item pool, at the cost of a permanent heart container, as in you can now hold up to 11 hearts max, down all the way to 0 at which point you just instantly lose the run so probably don't do that. A couple trinkets I liked were perfection, a +10 luck upgrade that breaks if you get hit while holding it, and devil's crown which replaces item rooms with devil deal items but they still cost health to take.

It's not all negative though, there's a new stronger version of a spirit heart that has a permanent wafer effect and regenerates at the end of a room if you only lost part of it, and they made angel rooms dramatically better by cutting out a lot of the garbage non item variants of angel rooms and adding some extremely strong angel room items like jacob's ladder which adds an entrance to a bonus angel room at the start of every floor, or the bowl of tears which is basically isaac's tears but instead of a really terrible version of tammy's head, it fires a full power monstro's lung shot.

Random other thing I forgot about that I liked a lot, a new one use consumable item called the eraser, if you hit an enemy with it they're removed from the rest of the run entirely.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 31, 2018

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If it's an official Antibirth dlc that'd be pretty cool considering I've never once been able to get Anti-birth installed and running correctly.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
People have been bizarrely bad at going to play this expansion and telling people about it because we still have like no info on anything even though the booth is public. All that's really new is that we're certain The Downpour is in, but without the double item rooms, and it's not even been confirmed if it's using Mudeth's music or not.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Pigbuster posted:

People have been bizarrely bad at going to play this expansion and telling people about it because we still have like no info on anything even though the booth is public. All that's really new is that we're certain The Downpour is in, but without the double item rooms, and it's not even been confirmed if it's using Mudeth's music or not.

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1035772983418056704

New soundtrack for the new floors.

edit: the new downpour theme is very pleasant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26EwFVALj10

Psychedelicatessen fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 1, 2018

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Oh my lord the best quality footage and they don't manage to survive to the sewage level, aaaagh

https://twitter.com/htedum/status/1035776549385990145

Mudeth will be finishing his whole replacement OST as a mod, as well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pigbuster posted:

Oh my lord the best quality footage and they don't manage to survive to the sewage level, aaaagh

I stopped when they used a bomb to get to coins that they could have reached by shooting the fire.

Glad that Mudeth's soundtrack won't be in Repentance. It's the Isaac equivalent of that metal cover of The Sound of Silence.

mirror123
Jan 17, 2006
rice barrel
Man I hope this comes to the switch version

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Great to see the expansion is essentially getting a double soundtrack---legitimately curious what Ridiculon will come up with on top of Mudeth's remaining finished tracks even if a mod will have to sort it all out to complete the spread. I'd imagine said mod will probably arrive extremely quickly once the expansion drops.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That's neat, it sounds like they're adapting it to fit in the game proper. Have the sprites we've seen so far been redrawn?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Your Gay Uncle posted:

If it's an official Antibirth dlc that'd be pretty cool considering I've never once been able to get Anti-birth installed and running correctly.

:hmmyes:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I got back into isaac and i love love the forgotten (even if switching is a pain in the rear end, ctrl is not a good key for that imo)

oh and they finally fixed the audio thing where the intro soundclips would play even if you had audio disabled, cool.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

I got back into isaac and i love love the forgotten (even if switching is a pain in the rear end, ctrl is not a good key for that imo)

I was worried that Forgotten would be difficult to use, but then I realized I could just stick to playing as bone man and smacking people with my club and now he's my favorite character.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i only switch to get items or when i'm about to lose against the hush

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Well I'd never used the forgotten before and holy poo poo this is so good. I guess this is where absolutely all the synergy effort went into for AB+ because nothing else added in this dlc seems to have synergies, except for my precious bony child. Epic fetus turns into a mortar and mom's knife is a scythe now apparently.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Watching people stream Isaac is infuriating because so many of them don't know you can skip the scenes between levels.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

mirror123 posted:

Man I hope this comes to the switch version

Only if they spend an extra five minutes and program in a loving quick reset button combination.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Inzombiac posted:

Watching people stream Isaac is infuriating because so many of them don't know you can skip the scenes between levels.

I still don't know the name of the newest boss, the one in the womb that turns into chub in phase 2, because I mash skip out of habit as I enter a boss room.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

kemikalkadet posted:

I still don't know the name of the newest boss, the one in the womb that turns into chub in phase 2, because I mash skip out of habit as I enter a boss room.

:same:

I can't believe they are releasing even more content for this game that I already have 3500+ hours in.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Inzombiac posted:

I think that's more a matter of taking a much-needed 5 second break between stages. I know I've done it before.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

that ivy guy posted:

I think that's more a matter of taking a much-needed 5 second break between stages. I know I've done it before.

If you're speed running and not counting those screens, sure. However, there are never enemies in the spawn room so JUST SKIP IT

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Haven't played it since afterbirth launched. Just bought a switch. Any reason I should avoid the switch version?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Chin Strap posted:

Haven't played it since afterbirth launched. Just bought a switch. Any reason I should avoid the switch version?

The only reason is that there is no quick restart.
If you are searching for a specific setup or playing Greed, it kinda sucks.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Also, the Steam version is the only version that has workshop mods, and therefore is the only version where you can switch to the Antibirth soundtrack.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Also the mods that improve some of the lazier sprites or give in-depth descriptions of what items do, those are very solid. This update could also potentially bring API updates that could make mods more powerful, too, but that's off in rumor-town I think. Also Nicalis' console support has kind of a rough history, though IIRC it's been very different for each console so maybe they've been okay on the Switch, I dunno.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Switch still doesn’t have booster packs 4 and 5 and I question whether we’ll get the new expansion either.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1035771770400165888

You'll get it in the next two months if nothing goes wrong, which is asking a lot of Nicalis to be fair.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
report: suicide king doesnt let you switch from the soul to the forgotten

GaiaShell
Mar 11, 2002

Kurtofan posted:

report: suicide king doesnt let you switch from the soul to the forgotten

Well yeah ghost suicide makes the undead alive, so you get to begin again :unsmigghh:

The forgotten is my favorite character now, but I hate using the soul unless I'm picking up spike/tile blocked items or I'm almost dead. Little melee bone dude is just so much more fun.

Also super hyped for this Antibirth/whatever it's called expansion. Was ready to tackle one of the other 30 unplayed games in my Steam library but oh well lol

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

bucksmash posted:

Also super hyped for this Antibirth/whatever it's called expansion. Was ready to tackle one of the other 30 unplayed games in my Steam library but oh well lol

It doesn't even have a release date yet, so you've got plenty of time I imagine

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Nicalis doesn't have a great track record of releasing things for Isaac in a timely matter, but having it be playable at PAX and the Antibirth team being quiet for so long gives me some hope that it's closer to release than not.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Forgot how insane Azazel is with Tammy’s Head. Throw in My Reflection and it’s hilarious. Throw in the Angelic Prism...oh god we’ve run the table on It Lives -> Hush -> Satan -> Lamb -> Mega Satan -> Delirium. That’s a lot to unlock in one run.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Forgot how insane Azazel is with Tammy’s Head. Throw in My Reflection and it’s hilarious. Throw in the Angelic Prism...oh god we’ve run the table on It Lives -> Hush -> Satan -> Lamb -> Mega Satan -> Delirium. That’s a lot to unlock in one run.

Rubber cement is hilariously amazing with Tammy's Head

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't be surprised if they were aiming to get the expansion out around October.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

bucksmash posted:

Well yeah ghost suicide makes the undead alive, so you get to begin again :unsmigghh:

The forgotten is my favorite character now, but I hate using the soul unless I'm picking up spike/tile blocked items or I'm almost dead. Little melee bone dude is just so much more fun.

I've learned to love the Forgotten ghost.
The skeleton acts as a block and has a small bullet pull.

It makes IT LIVES! completely trivial if you are fast enough to outrun the blood laser.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Was repentance confirmed for switch?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I really don't think we should take the fact that it was shown at PAX to mean it's almost done. The AG&D update for Enter the Gungeon got shown off at Pax too, and that took almost a year to come out. And the Antibirth team probably haven't been working on it for that long - they only really went quiet at the start of this year. And Nicalis haven't exactly been stellar at releasing things on time in the past. I think we'll get it in mid-to-late 2019.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Ed said Bumbo will probably be released first, and I think that’s not coming until next year so, yeah, might be a bit of a wait.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

bucksmash posted:

I love walking into a lovely basement boss like Rag Man or The Haunt and just bashing the poo poo out of the with the club. It's so cathartic after having try and take them out with base damage and tear speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yItDPM34EUA

New floor that was in that screenshot is shown off in this video
It's called "Dross" and as expected it's an alternate version of Downpour.