Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

goatface posted:

Holy poo poo that looks like a dire film.

It really, really does. There's probably a good film to be made there around the heroism of the Chinese Air Force, but given the political issues between the KMT and CPC I can't imagine it'd be able to gather funding these days.

Edit: what the gently caress the Chinese state owned film company helped pay for this? And they've got little RoC suns on the wings? What's going on here? :psypop:

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

CeeJee posted:

This guy's heroic actions have been made into a movie already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiJjMggOUu8

I bailed after "sir, please allow us to kick some rear end!".

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I had immediately assumed it was an English language for the foreign market type affair. A state funded propaganda piece makes sense. Pay a few big Hollywood names to show up and chew scenery for a bit, script some rough dialogue that works much better when dubbed in Chinese, stick in some vibrant special effects, maybe release it in some token US cinemas so they can talk about the western release in the marketing wank.

Big money in the Chinese box office, a boost to the Chinese film industry, the public get a bit of a patriotic buzz, Bruce Willis can afford a new house. Everybody's happy.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

The bombing continues.

drat you, you torpedo carrying bastards!

Down comes another Liberator!

If only my carriers were able to intercept this, they have lost a lot of planes now!

The air war continues to go my way. SOMEHOW! And you know, sod it, I have four carriers, I'm going to take a crack at that fleet carrier at Guam! It may well get away, but if not, it will have only a few planes left!

There is little net change in the scores this month, where as this is when I was steam-rolling the Japanese in my Allied game.

It would help if they could take a base now and then.

Then again, they would need living troops for that.

Amazingly, you can actually see my plane losses levelling off somewhat! If this keeps up I may (in about three years time) actually be able to overtake the allies in losses!

And my plane pools look healthy!

With no carriers, ship kills have been limited.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

1 September 1944

Corvette HMS Hurst Castle lost to homing torpedo fired by U-482 near Donegal.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

You're still...producing G3M Nells?

In 1944?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Why are there 800 Helens in the pool and only 30 used?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
flying them is suicide and no one wants to sign up? i mean :japan: :pilot: and all but still

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Grey Hunter posted:

If only my carriers were able to intercept this, they have lost a lot of planes now!
Maybe if you gave them permission to kick rear end?

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar
I'm guessing the grey'd out names on the "upgrades to" means they don't have an upgrade replacement?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SolarFire2 posted:

And now Roland Emmerich is remaking Midway. That should be.. Something.

Woody Harrelson as Chester Nimitz!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

shalafi4 posted:

I'm guessing the grey'd out names on the "upgrades to" means they don't have an upgrade replacement?

Then if they'r enot good it better to scrap them and end production so you're not wasting resources on them or risking them being sent out to the frotn lines?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

wedgekree posted:

Hopefully because Grey is starting to phase them out in favor of other not so loving terrible latewar Japanese tac bombers?

I don't know what the Japanese produced in terms of later war aircraft, but without the Zero to die in droves, Grey's pilots are starting to make a serious comeback. Its a shame the newest carriers won't be out of the shipyard til mid-1945. Keep fortidying those islands with newer and better planes, and Grey can actually realize that defensive cordon the Japanese only belated realized they needed right after Midway.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

A White Guy posted:

Hopefully because Grey is starting to phase them out in favor of other not so loving terrible latewar Japanese tac bombers?

I don't know what the Japanese produced in terms of later war aircraft, but without the Zero to die in droves, Grey's pilots are starting to make a serious comeback. Its a shame the newest carriers won't be out of the shipyard til mid-1945. Keep fortidying those islands with newer and better planes, and Grey can actually realize that defensive cordon the Japanese only belated realized they needed right after Midway.

I think Grey stopped production of the 1945 carriers under the assumption a carrier in 1944 being accelerated was better than ones in 1945. Then again with the 1944 ones built he might be able to resume production of them if the slips aren't taken up given he has a core of a task force of the KB.

And what carriers you sending out hunting Grey? I presume the TF centered around teh Shinano?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

A White Guy posted:

Actually, that's an interesting question. Unryu and Amagi should have been commissioned at the beginning of this month, historically, and Katsuragi should be ready late next month.

Checking the ship database, Unryu was apparently spotted very late last month which means Grey definitely did accelerate them (or at least some of them), but we haven't seen the other two yet. So that's potentially three more fleet carriers that may be ready now or soon to add to his striking force.

wedgekree posted:

And what carriers you sending out hunting Grey? I presume the TF centered around teh Shinano?

Shinano is absolutely worthless for anything other than absorbing hits, having less actual launch capacity than some light carriers, but I don't think it's ready yet, unless Grey has heavily moved up its construction. Assuming it wasn't just cancelled for being an utter waste of resources.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

Shinano is absolutely worthless for anything other than absorbing hits, having less actual launch capacity than some light carriers, but I don't think it's ready yet, unless Grey has heavily moved up its construction. Assuming it wasn't just cancelled for being an utter waste of resources.

I think Shinano was on a training mission at Rabaul as of a month or so ago, so at the very least I think she's out of shakedown if not having a full air complement yet - or if Grey'sjust rebased her to be away from the combat zone?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

wedgekree posted:

I think Shinano was on a training mission at Rabaul as of a month or so ago, so at the very least I think she's out of shakedown if not having a full air complement yet - or if Grey'sjust rebased her to be away from the combat zone?

Yeah, glanced at the list again, sorting by actual ship name this time instead of class, and you're right. Jobbo has it listed as a Taiho-class for some reason, so missed it on my initial look for it under either Shinano or Yamato-class. On the other hand, unless Shinano was heavily accelerated over more useful CVs, that might mean that Grey actually does have all three Unryu-class CVs active already and we've just only seen the lead ship so far.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So what is likely the group of carriers that Grey is sending on an intercept after the Allied TF then if you had to suppose what it was? And they seem to have had a bit of quiet of not raiding and no heavy Allied air attacks either, sot hey might even have somewhat average training and full strength air groups.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

David Corbett posted:

It really, really does. There's probably a good film to be made there around the heroism of the Chinese Air Force, but given the political issues between the KMT and CPC I can't imagine it'd be able to gather funding these days.

Edit: what the gently caress the Chinese state owned film company helped pay for this? And they've got little RoC suns on the wings? What's going on here? :psypop:

The chinese government doesn't really have anything against the RoC being shown sympathetically in the context of the Second Sino-Japanese War/WWII.

wedgekree posted:

Because about the only thing those old things are any good for anymore would be ASW patrols. Well, and waiting for kamikaze missions to unlock. Or dropping more bombs on Chungking.

Magni fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 2, 2018

barman
Jan 29, 2013

wedgekree posted:

Grey you..... Herman Goering of the Japanse aircraft industry...

S in the name, like zero S of Judy S means it,s the night fighter version of that model,
You are producent 400 NIGHT FIGHTERS per Month and operating none.

Also you need to producent the same amount of more engines for the aircraft not just the aircraft itself

So a worthless Peggy uses 2 Ha 45 engines, that,s 2 Franks of Georges per turn

Tip: Kill all production of bombers which use engines you need for your fighters,

So Franks, Georges and the equal amount of Ha 45 engines (approx 500 per
Month)

Aichi 60 engines for the judy 3 of 4 , not the nightfighter and Ha 35 engines for tojo C instead of zero nightfighters

If you post the engine production along with iT, we can Asses how many planes you are trying to produce without engines :-)

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

barman posted:

Grey you..... Herman Goering of the Japanse aircraft industry...

S in the name, like zero S of Judy S means it,s the night fighter version of that model,

And even with this base meddling of the IJA in airplane production, he's beating the Americans!

barman
Jan 29, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

And even with this base meddling of the IJA in airplane production, he's beating the Americans!
LOL

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

wedgekree posted:

Thirty Helens agree

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

barman posted:

The B-29s are gonna be in for a hell of a surprise when-

Wait, what do you mean they can just "fly above our fighters"?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
bold new tactic of only flying night missions shall win this war

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I once again bring fire to Manus.

The Americans return the favour at Truk.

They land troops in the evening.

There is another rare American sub attack.

The captain makes a surface attack, but soon learns to regret it.

I continue to bomb Chungking.

That's right, remain on station losing aircraft. A surprise is coming.

Air superiority continues to be mine.

I wonder what they are landing at Truk this time?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Also, adjust your plane production to what the people in the thread say!

I trust them more than I do me!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Oh, hey, second sighting (so far as I can tell) of Mustangs, and the first was only a few days ago. Looks like the AI got some new airframes to play with as well. Thankfully they're only B models so far.

Of course the AI has them in Burma for some godforsaken reason, so it's not like they're much of a threat at the moment regardless.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

2 September 1944

Back to minesweeper grind: Soviet Vzryv (ex-T-410) sunk off the Romanian coast by U-19.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I've just adjusted airframes!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yay on the airframes! Good luck when it comes to production and figuring out the pathway that is engine production..

So, what are you going to do with all those weirdly specific Helens? Can you scrap them? Build giant catapaults to hurl them into the air? Fire them from naval batteries?

Also I believe that this is near the strangest part of the thread - the Japanese are maintaining equality in the air in multiple theatres and we're at a point where the Allies are losing more fighters consistently.

wedgekree fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 3, 2018

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

wedgekree posted:

So, what are you going to do with all those weirdly specific Helens? Can you scrap them? Build giant catapaults to hurl them into the air?

Use them for kamikazes.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Dance Officer posted:

Use them for kamikazes.

The war might not get that bad he has to!

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

The captain makes a surface attack, but soon learns to regret it.

I just love the fact that Japanese intel insist on getting such fine details as who is the captain of each individual sub, and why is each submerging at given time.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Jesenjin posted:

I just love the fact that Japanese intel insist on getting such fine details as who is the captain of each individual sub, and why is each submerging at given time.

Our powerful intelligence agency has spent years fully infiltrating the US Navy's HR department.

We know exactly who crews each vessel!

...but not where they are...

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Fortress Truk continues to lay down deadly fire.

We watch their ships burn.

Tojo say no.

Enemy subs continue to be active.

Bombing runs continue.

Operational losses maintain our lead in the sky.

We keep ahead in kills.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Do planes consume supplies, oil or Avgas? I imagine launching 120 planes to stop a couple of bombers is pretty inefficient.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

drat, what happened here?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Ron Jeremy posted:

drat, what happened here?
It's the new stupid newbie avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It's been set to that for months already.