Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blood Boils posted:

How do they see without eyes

Well, where they're going...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Davros1 posted:

Random question: If the xenomorph's blood is an acid, does that make them invulnerable to other types of acid?

I guess it would depend on what their skin/carapace is made of (commonly cited as being silicon-based) and how well their acid blood plays with other acids. Their acid blood is usually cited as some kind of mix of hydrochloric/hydrofluoric acid that’s always exactly as potent as the script needs it to be at a given moment.

Blood Boils posted:

They could have some sort of sensory organs on their dome - we definitely know they perceive visible light; we get POV shots in both Alien3 and Covenant, and the one Alien in the cage sees Brad Dourif through the glass in Resurrection.

I’ve always thought the “no eyes” conceit was one of the most interesting and unnerving aspects of the Alien design. I think the idea behind it with the original movie was that it was scarier if you couldn’t tell what the Alien was looking at or if it could see you.

One of the comics that approached the Alien from a religious angle rolls with the “no eyes” thing as it relates to the “eyes as the window to the soul”, implying that if the Alien has no eyes, it has no soul.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

NarkyBark posted:

The only scene in Resurrection that really worked for me was the discovery of the clone lab. Wonderfully creepy. The rest of it misfires in so many ways.

I dislike Covenant for discarding so much of what was built in Prometheus, but last time I said that it caused a huge kerfuffle. I still think Pro and Cov would be much better if they were unrelated to Alien and just explored their own themes.
I enjoy Prometheus and Covenant much more on a second viewing than I did at first. I feel like I can only really assess Covenant in context with the excellent bonus shorts, preferably while really high.

Left: You're gonna die
Right: Now you're playing Simon!

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 22, 2018

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Both Prometheus and Covenant are some drat win imo

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I'm 76kg which is about 7,600,000 ants, assuming they average 10mg each which google suggests as being reasonable... I'd bet on the ants.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Blood Boils posted:

I used to think the bulbous protrusions on the side of the head were the eyes when I was a lil' ruddiger.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

jiggerypokery posted:

I'm 76kg which is about 7,600,000 ants, assuming they average 10mg each which google suggests as being reasonable... I'd bet on the ants.

I saw this video recently about fire ants swarming and murdering live prey, and I thought to myself, “what if these things were 8 feet tall, had acid for blood, and were generally unpleasant”

https://youtu.be/0qF5_P2e_T0

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Xenomrph posted:

I saw this video recently about fire ants swarming and murdering live prey, and I thought to myself, “what if these things were 8 feet tall, had acid for blood, and were generally unpleasant”

Imagine no more!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPw4U_IhWV4

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

https://youtu.be/0qF5_P2e_T0

I love that dude's youtube channel. I've never heard someone so jazzed about ant farms and ant colonies.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

I love that dude's youtube channel. I've never heard someone so jazzed about ant farms and ant colonies.

I liked his videos until I watched a string of them in a row and he really tries to run his channel like a reality show and it gets old fast. Click-bait titles (“I think all my ants are dead!!”, “Did one of my colonies escape overnight??”), goofy cliffhangers at the ends of his videos, poo poo like that. And the way he uses the proper name “ACFamily” to address the audience in every third sentence got old real quick.
Like, ants are cool and fun to watch, just show us ants doing cool stuff rather than trying to frame it like Deadliest Catch: Ants Edition with faux drama and poo poo.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Mute it, and load up some Ennio Morricone on spotify.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Predator is apparently on track to earn $30 million on its opening weekend. https://variety.com/2018/film/news/predator-box-office-shane-black-reboot-opening-tracking-1202915431/

Not bad, but competition from The Nun will probably affect The Predator's BO take, especially if the latter sucks.

Hopefully Shane Black delivers.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I finally got around to watching Covenant. It was ok but I've seen that intro plotline many times before. The parts with David were great but otherwise not so good. I've seen enough slasher movies and I expected more from Ridley Scott.

I heard this did badly at box offices. Is Ridley Scott going to get to make a sequel?

I would really like everything to be wrapped up in one final movie. Let's first give Micheal Fassbender his final performance as David and wrap that up.

I'd also like to finally learn about the true origins of the black goo which is basically the Alien. Why was it created and who created it. I'm really doubting it was the "engineers" at this point.

Really the only frightening aspect left in the series is that we know there is an omnipotent force in the universe that created this terrible thing and we can only guess why it was created or what the purpose is.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

DropsySufferer posted:

I finally got around to watching Covenant. It was ok but I've seen that intro plotline many times before. The parts with David were great but otherwise not so good. I've seen enough slasher movies and I expected more from Ridley Scott.

I heard this did badly at box offices. Is Ridley Scott going to get to make a sequel?

I would really like everything to be wrapped up in one final movie. Let's first give Micheal Fassbender his final performance as David and wrap that up.

I'd also like to finally learn about the true origins of the black goo which is basically the Alien. Why was it created and who created it. I'm really doubting it was the "engineers" at this point.

Really the only frightening aspect left in the series is that we know there is an omnipotent force in the universe that created this terrible thing and we can only guess why it was created or what the purpose is.

Covenant underperforming their expectations cut the series from two more films + Blomkamp's film to one last film to wrap it up and lead into Alien. Scott has said that it will also focus on David, which is good because it would probably be worth watching if the edited out all the sets and other actors and just released an hour and a half of so of David.

There are other things I like about the new films, mind. David just sits in the center of those things like an impossibly charming spider who is also making giant rape spiders for everyone.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I hope the end for Davey isnt looking longingly into his deathspawn's skull-lined eyesockets just to get stabbed/eviscerated, cute inversion on Weiland's death as it would be.

Maybe, like, stitched into an egg or something bodygross.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hodgepodge posted:

Covenant underperforming their expectations cut the series from two more films + Blomkamp's film to one last film to wrap it up and lead into Alien. Scott has said that it will also focus on David, which is good because it would probably be worth watching if the edited out all the sets and other actors and just released an hour and a half of so of David.

There's also Disney taking operational control of Fox sometime in late 2019 or early 2020, so we have no real idea what the hell is going to happen with the series at this point.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Wish they would have spent more time with the engineers instead of killing them offscreen.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If Scott’s final film ever gets made, it suggests they aren’t all dead, and there’s enough of them left to seek revenge on David for one all out final war. Which leads to the crashed ship on LV426

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Invalid Validation posted:

Wish they would have spent more time with the engineers instead of killing them offscreen.

Hey a ton of them got killed onscreen in Covenant

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Invalid Validation posted:

They did. They just called them humans

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

If Scott’s final film ever gets made, it suggests they aren’t all dead, and there’s enough of them left to seek revenge on David for one all out final war. Which leads to the crashed ship on LV426

Doesn't that ship predate anything in these movies or did they retcon that out?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

:toxx: If the third Alien prequel ever gets made it'll absolutely have David getting done by Shaw-Queen by the end

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

banned from Starbucks posted:

The corpse of the space jockey was old enough to have been fossilized, so probably? Who even knows that this point.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I think they need to get back to basics with this franchise. The entire canon is getting really convoluted and not much of it is helping from the standpoint of making good films. Also, I need another video game. Isolation 2 or something. Anything.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Those lame monk engineers did not create the aliens. That planet has just one city. I’m sure the actual homeworld would be ultra developed with hundreds of ships coming and going.

But I do believe the engineer species wiped itself out with its own creation and what’s left and what we get to see are the pathetic remnants.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

DropsySufferer posted:

Those lame monk engineers did not create the aliens. That planet has just one city. I’m sure the actual homeworld would be ultra developed with hundreds of ships coming and going.

But I do believe the engineer species wiped itself out with its own creation and what’s left and what we get to see are the pathetic remnants.

It's almost as if they found the Ancient Aliens, and they were just people :thunk:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

I think they need to get back to basics with this franchise. The entire canon is getting really convoluted and not much of it is helping from the standpoint of making good films. Also, I need another video game. Isolation 2 or something. Anything.

Just ignore the canon and enjoy the films as separate entities

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Hodgepodge posted:

It's almost as if they found the Ancient Aliens, and they were just people :thunk:

Prometheus explicitly says that they are

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean the people who stated this were underplayed space truckers. But the ship could’ve been old where’s the jockey could’ve been fresh.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BiggerBoat posted:

You know what? I honestly have to agree with this. I think that's where my beef with the new Scott movies is, despite thinking they're very good in and of themselves; the convolution of them doesn't really fit the Alien series.

Like, part of why I love the first two movies is their simplicity. They're absolute Swiss watches that have a goal from the first frame that they single-mindedly push towards. Prometheus and Covenant are both great, but they're comparatively scatter-brained, constantly dropping new revelations and threads to pull on the viewer, and that makes them feel outright bizarre in the series.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BiggerBoat posted:

While we’re not getting an Isolation 2, an Alien Isolation novel just got announced today. No word on if it’s an adaptation of the game or if it’s a sequel, but I hope it’s the latter.

There is at least one video game in the pipeline, I can’t remember who the developer is offhand but as long as it’s not Gearbox I’ll give anyone a crack at the license.

Obligatory Konami “Aliens Pachinko” joke

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

CelticPredator posted:

I mean the people who stated this were underplayed space truckers. But the ship could’ve been old where’s the jockey could’ve been fresh.

If you look carefully, Scott has put at least one obvious scientific inaccuracy in each film, perhaps as a way of letting the audience know that the information being provided is not objective fact.

In Covenant, it was the disaster at the start being caused by a "neutrino burst." Neutrinos barely interact with matter. Although they can technically cause a nuclear reaction through the weak force, chancing one nucleus to another, it would have to be a very unstable element which decays quickly anyhow. Meanwhile,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutrino posted:

Each second, about 65 billion (6.5×10^10) solar neutrinos pass through every square centimeter on the part of the Earth orthogonal to the direction of the Sun.[12] Since neutrinos are insignificantly absorbed by the mass of the Earth, the surface area on the side of the Earth opposite the Sun receives about the same number of neutrinos as the side facing the Sun.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The average movie goer is way too stupid to know that so I dont think it's that obvious

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

The average movie goer is way too stupid to know that so I dont think it's that obvious

They're aimed as the sort of person who looks for inaccuracies in scientific trivia (like "millions of miles" in Prometheus).

This one seems to have went over most of their heads, though, since I haven't seen anyone complain about it. Or through their heads without interacting, I guess.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I'm a semi intelligent person and have no idea what a neutrino is or does or how it could damage solar sails

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hodgepodge posted:

They're aimed as the sort of person who looks for inaccuracies in scientific trivia (like "millions of miles" in Prometheus).

This one seems to have went over most of their heads, though, since I haven't seen anyone complain about it. Or through their heads without interacting, I guess.

Or maybe nobody cares

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Hodgepodge posted:

That one is funny, because it's obvious hyperbole from two characters flirting:

JANEK: You know, if you wanna get laid, you really don't have to pretend to be interested in the pyramid scanner.
I mean you could just say: "Hey, I'm trying to get laid".

VICKERS: I could say that, right? But then, it wouldn't make sense why I'd find myself half a billion miles from every man on Earth, if I wanted to get laid, would it?

The wildest part of the Prometheus thread were goons just not understanding that the characters could possibly be attracted to eachother. Goes for the best bros Fifeld and Millburn as well.

Also as nerdy pendants like Neil deGrasse Tyson have pointed out, "half a billion miles" would put them around Jupiter.
This however ties the the film into 2001: A Space Odyssey, you know the movie where only the AI questions why they're following an ancient alien message into space.

(can't remember if this was goon made or not)

wyoming fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 2, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah I just saw 2001 for the first time and Prometheus is the more horror filled remake of it. Straight up all around. Makes me love both films more.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Leave it up to nerds to pick apart a throwaway line that some robot chick says while trying to get laid with one of the sexiest men to have ever lived.

And THAT'S why Prometheus was a bad movie!!1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah I just saw 2001 for the first time and Prometheus is the more horror filled remake of it. Straight up all around. Makes me love both films more.
Prometheus is a horror remake of 'AvP', and they're both adaptations of 'At the Mountains of Madness'. The Predators/Engineers are the Elder Things, the Xenomorphs/Black Goo are the Shoggoths.