Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Fast Luck posted:

Oh cool, I got roped into a league with some coworkers a couple years back but am pretty half-hearted about following ff so I wasn’t sure how my team was looking. My prep consisted of scanning this thread and stumbling on beersheets.

Yeah, I didn’t like going qb there either but there’d been a bit of a run on them and judging by the sheet there was a way bigger gap between Cam and available QBs than between the pool of remaining RBs. Anyway hopefully I loaded up on enough RBs that I’ll find a good RB2 in there.

The fact it is 1ppr helps your case some. And if Cam doesn’t work out, there’s always a Goff-esque QB2 out there, ala Mahomes or Handsome James.

Khalil Mack to the Bears, it’s leaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Let's talk David Johnson vs Le'Veon Bell in PPR. DJ and Bell have very, very similar projections and are consistently #2-#3 in some order in rankings. Usually Bell as #2.

I'm starting to think DJ should be #2. Fantasy football is a weekly game. In 2017, after his holdout, Bell's week 1 stat line was this:
10 attempts for 32 yards, 3 receptions for 15 yards. A whopping 7.7 points in PPR. Against a great matchup too, the hapless Browns in what ended up being a close (3-point) game where PIT should have needed Bell.

The point is, you can't _trust_ Bell in week 1 this season, even if he ends his holdout today. He will likely be very limited in touches and could easily produce waiver-wire level results. You're probably throwing away 1/12 of the regular season for your #2 overall pick. If you miss the playoffs by 1 game, it does you no good that he averages a half point better than DJ for other regular season games.

Given that you don't want to punt week 1 with a top-3 pick, why not just pick the overall #1 player in fantasy from 2016, David Johnson, over Bell and call it a day?

Anyone want to make a counter-argument?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The general consensus seems to be they are pretty equal. Take whichever one you personally feel better about. There's certainly no one who would say "WHAT? YOU TOOK DJ OVER BELL?!" Or vice versa.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
DJ went 2nd in my .5 PPR league. Bell starts slow and doesn't play all 16 games.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

pmchem posted:

Let's talk David Johnson vs Le'Veon Bell in PPR. DJ and Bell have very, very similar projections and are consistently #2-#3 in some order in rankings. Usually Bell as #2.

I'm starting to think DJ should be #2. Fantasy football is a weekly game. In 2017, after his holdout, Bell's week 1 stat line was this:
10 attempts for 32 yards, 3 receptions for 15 yards. A whopping 7.7 points in PPR. Against a great matchup too, the hapless Browns in what ended up being a close (3-point) game where PIT should have needed Bell.

The point is, you can't _trust_ Bell in week 1 this season, even if he ends his holdout today. He will likely be very limited in touches and could easily produce waiver-wire level results. You're probably throwing away 1/12 of the regular season for your #2 overall pick. If you miss the playoffs by 1 game, it does you no good that he averages a half point better than DJ for other regular season games.

Given that you don't want to punt week 1 with a top-3 pick, why not just pick the overall #1 player in fantasy from 2016, David Johnson, over Bell and call it a day?

Anyone want to make a counter-argument?

Bell is in a superior offense, with arguably a better line and a better QB. You can always shelve him week 1 but you cherry picked a single sample. DJ can have a horrible Week 10 and we’d be none the wiser.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Bell & DJ are basically the same. If you fear the repercussions of the holdout more than you fear the repercussions of a bad offense then have at it.

Personally, I have DJ over Bell or Bell over DJ depending on how I slept the night before. It's a razor thin margin

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Suave Fedora posted:

Bell is in a superior offense, with arguably a better line and a better QB. You can always shelve him week 1 but you cherry picked a single sample. DJ can have a horrible Week 10 and we’d be none the wiser.

Anyone can have a horrible week, but there's a logical cause/effect for arguing that Bell is going to have a poor week 1. Can you provide an example of a player holding out until a few days before NFL week 1 kicks off, and then getting their typical RB1 or WR1 number of touches?

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

pmchem posted:

Anyone can have a horrible week, but there's a logical cause/effect for arguing that Bell is going to have a poor week 1. Can you provide an example of a player holding out until a few days before NFL week 1 kicks off, and then getting their typical RB1 or WR1 number of touches?

In 2017 he had 10 rushing attempts, 3 receptions. I believe the Steelers have been tagging him for like what, the last three years?

2016: 18 rushing attempts, 5 rec
2015: 19, 7

Every player’s situation is different. Is he more likely to have reduced reps over anyone else? Sure. I’d still pick him over DJ because he’s in a superior system. That’s probably why his pre-draft ADP is consistently ranked above DJ.

Like someone else mentioned, you’re not going to be met with incredulity by drafting DJ over Bell. I’m just giving you my preference based on how much more I value one situation over another. Over RoS, Bell will have more and better quality opportunities in which to be fantasy-productive.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Suave Fedora posted:

In 2017 he had 10 rushing attempts, 3 receptions. I believe the Steelers have been tagging him for like what, the last three years?

2016: 18 rushing attempts, 5 rec
2015: 19, 7

He didn't holdout in 2015 or 2016, he logged preseason game stats in each of those years. He did miss the start of each regular season due to suspension. So I don't think those years compare to 2017.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Welp, there goes my RB3 in one of my leagues.

https://twitter.com/JeneBramel/status/1035982999286947841

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Looks like 89 was predicting the future on this one. Just scooped up Morris in my league of record.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
JerRIP amirite.

Alf is 100% the guy to get, not Breida

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
Nah, I'm likely going with Breida. He may not be ready for week 1, but that offense is going to run through Jimmy G and the passing game, where Alf will definitely cede snaps to Breida. There's a reason they didn't bother to bring in Alf until someone got hurt.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Okay you guys pick up Morris again this time fer real

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

When would you ever start Morris even if McKinnon is out? At best he's in a 50/50 timeshare with Breida, but more likely he's seeing like 25% of the snaps or less, right?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

When would you ever start Morris even if McKinnon is out? At best he's in a 50/50 timeshare with Breida, but more likely he's seeing like 25% of the snaps or less, right?

Look, I've already dropped Ken Dixon for him. You can't talk me out of this now.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Fire up your Alfbreidas

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
I can’t help but chuckle at the guy in the twitter comments who bane-drafted both McKinnon and Guice.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
My only issue is that I don't have anyone else I really want to drop for Breida/Alf. I could drop McKinnon, but I don't know if he's out for the year, or just a few weeks.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Morris is startable in Week 1. I'm Team Breida but he is still healing from his shoulder sprain so Morris is probably going to see decent volume the first couple weeks. Great for anyone who went Zero RB.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Morris is this year's Christine Michael.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Silly Burrito posted:

My only issue is that I don't have anyone else I really want to drop for Breida/Alf. I could drop McKinnon, but I don't know if he's out for the year, or just a few weeks.

Can't drop your kicker? It sounds like they suspect a torn ACL, if you were counting on McKinnon as a starter you should make a move.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

I always underestimate how much people love backup QBs. We were down to Goff, Smith, Mariota and Mahomes by the time I drafted Goff in the 13th, because 7 of the 10 teams drafted backup QBs.

I mean I’ve got a lot of depth but hooo boy that “draft rivers in the 11th or 12th” sure backfired in round 6.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

dkj posted:

Morris is this year's Christine Michael.

Buddy Christine Michael is this year's Christine Michael

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Actually, I am amending my opinion on Breida/Morris. For some reason, I thought Breida was bigger than 5'10" 190. That is quite small to be a volume guy. The situation still makes me think of the LeGarrette Blount/Dion Lewis Patriots though. You put in one guy and you're tipping your hand it's a run basically every time; whereas the other guy offers more versatility for the passing offense, which runs through the elite QB. I want to like the second guy more but Morris' volume upside is potentially quite high and that can't be ignored.

Go Alf, go.

Antrodemus
Mar 8, 2002
I'm in a 14 team no-PPR league and was hoping for big things from McKinnon. How ruined is my season at this point? Here's my RB situation (we can start up to 3):

-Melvin Gordon
-Rex Burkhead
-Alfred Morris (just picked up)
-Marlon Mack
-McKinnon (IR/dead)
-Devontae Booker

The top RBs on the waiver wire are T.J. Yeldon, Nyheim Hines, and Spencer Ware. Should I start planning for 2019 now, or is this salvagable?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Melvin Gordon has an outside shot of being the #1 RB in the land and you have multiple RB2s there.

You're ok

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

axelord posted:

Can't drop your kicker? It sounds like they suspect a torn ACL, if you were counting on McKinnon as a starter you should make a move.

Eh, he was my 3rd RB/flex taken in the fifth or sixth round. I already did the "don't draft a kicker" trick and finally picked one up. Out of everyone here, I could drop Michael Gallup, but I'm going with him as a lottery ticket.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Good thing I got Morris last time!

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Santheb posted:

I always underestimate how much people love backup QBs. We were down to Goff, Smith, Mariota and Mahomes by the time I drafted Goff in the 13th, because 7 of the 10 teams drafted backup QBs.

I mean I’ve got a lot of depth but hooo boy that “draft rivers in the 11th or 12th” sure backfired in round 6.

My league is the same way. I want to say it’s more of a “gotta have a plan B for everything” mindset. I’m guilty.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Silly Burrito posted:

Eh, he was my 3rd RB/flex taken in the fifth or sixth round. I already did the "don't draft a kicker" trick and finally picked one up. Out of everyone here, I could drop Michael Gallup, but I'm going with him as a lottery ticket.

Why not just drop your kicker, wait to hear if it is a torn ACL and then drop McKinnon for a kicker when the news hits.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

axelord posted:

Why not just drop your kicker, wait to hear if it is a torn ACL and then drop McKinnon for a kicker when the news hits.

I see what you mean now. Yeah, someone dropped Ronald Jones to pick up Alf. Think I'll pick up Jordan Wilkins for the kicker, see if Jones makes it through waivers so I don't waste my spot, and then drop McKinnon if I have to. Thanks for the advice.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

My league has a supplemental draft for any players that were drafted above $5 that get injured before the season starts. We lock all rosters and don't allow waivers till after the supplemental draft. Assuming McKinnon is out for the season would you pick up Alfred Morris or Adrian Peterson? I already have Breida.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I already had Morris in dynasty, scooped him up in redraft as well. What could go wrong!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

It's an ACL, out for the year, JerRIP

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
The RB culling started early this year.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

McKinnon is officially Out. Moveable to IR slot on ESPN leagues.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
and there goes the most overhyped RB this fantasy season.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Let this be the only RB sacrificed to the football gods, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I dropped a kicker for Morris, then the ACL news became official. Not sure who I'll drop before week 1: Ebron, Cole, or Cobb. I could also drop Aaron Jones, but I have him backing up Jamaal Williams and will be able to keep Jones for $1 next year if I keep him rostered all season.

And now that all the 49er RB chat is handled, I'm still interested in the Bell vs DJ argument in PPR, based on Bell's expected wet turd in week 1. Since fantasy is a weekly game and not a roto game, isn't DJ the better pick?