Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

I need to try that Tiny House. Is it good? I know it is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

funkybottoms posted:

all of this still blows my mind

bissell used to be pretty solid before they moved, but that day we were there... i just dunno man

Fat Lou posted:

of course its good

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Fat Lou posted:

Too bad that's all mine too.

(I haven't had it but I love how they were like "maybe something lighter than the beer that's already lighter than 95% of beers out there?")

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

also someone send me tiny house because house is my favorite beer. someone awaken kruster

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

It's one of the best session beers I've had in recent memory, absolutely no compromise on taste or body and nobody would believe you if you told them it was under 4%.

There's 5 breweries on Industrial Way now. Foundation's in the old Bissel space still. I didn't care for their sour/lactose IPAs, but stuff like Zuurzing and Movable Type and Riverton Flyer are just as good as they've always been, plus it gets distro'd to Boston now. Epiphany is still good and the dark horse of the OG NEIPA wave.

Austin St. didn't have too much to go but they were solid. Battery Steele was similarly decent and nothing was too surprising. Didn't get a chance to try out Definitive, they're new within the last couple months.

Shabadu fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 29, 2018

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

also someone send me tiny house because house is my favorite beer. someone awaken kruster

You loving stay away from my poo poo.

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010
Anyone know of good places in eastern Pennsylvania? Going to be spending the Labor Day weekend around Jim Thorpe.

Only place I know of is Separatist in Easton and that will likely be on the trip there.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Has anybody been to the Baltimore Craft Beer Festival? I've never actually been to a beer festival before, and I was wondering if this particular one was worth it.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Re: that far and away beer fest. Don't sleep on Highland Park brewery. Amazing poo poo.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

everythingWasBees posted:

Has anybody been to the Baltimore Craft Beer Festival? I've never actually been to a beer festival before, and I was wondering if this particular one was worth it.

It's pretty small, but the waterfront is nice and crowds aren't too bad so lines stay reasonable.

Barley & Hops is consistently a standout. The rest of the breweries run the gamut from good (Manor Hill, Checkerspot) to dear god these are the worst commercially produced beers I've ever tried (Black Flag.)

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Rakekniven posted:

dear god these are the worst commercially produced beers I've ever tried (Black Flag.)

I think the real problem is that nobody is consistent. I had a nice beer from
Black Flag the other day but I don’t expect that to be the norm. And the same goes for Cushwa, Attaboy, Manor Hill, etc. Nobody is making consistently good beer and they are making far too many missteps to buy anything blind.

Maryland beer sucks rear end.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

Anyone know of good places in eastern Pennsylvania? Going to be spending the Labor Day weekend around Jim Thorpe.

Only place I know of is Separatist in Easton and that will likely be on the trip there.

Haha Separatist/Søle gets mocked a lot in the Philadelphia beer groups because the owners tend to be obnoxious clowns. Their beers are pretty decent but I went to their tasting room and they had society only beers on draft which I thought was tacky. Weyerbacher is near Separatist and then Susquehanna Brewing is north of Jim Thorpe. I'm sure there are other new breweries up there that I'm not familiar with.

Kosher man
May 8, 2002
Bonn in Bethlehem is a must visit. Enjoy downing loads of Mooney.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

bissell used to be pretty solid before they moved, but that day we were there... i just dunno man

yeah, that was disappointing- everything was bitter and chalky

since we've got three small, independent distributors in town now (two of which are run by breweries), there are so many loving choices that stuff like Jackie O's, American Solera, and Captain Lawrence are turding up shelves all over the city. crazy. oh, and we're getting Von Trapp now, so yay for more lager options (2008 me is shaking my drat head at that)

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

We've built up a scene in the Lehigh Valley, but the breweries are more in the ABE area than Carbon County. Easton has Separatist (which used to be Sole), Two Rivers, Boser Geist just opened a tap room, and the well known Weyerbacher which is right off 78. Bethlehem has Bonn Place, which I agree with Kosher man is a must visit, and the first Fegley's Brew Works, downtown Allentown having the other. Allentown also has Hijinks on the south end of town. Emmaus has two nice breweries a block or two apart: Funk and Yergey. Nazareth has Birthright which was surprisingly good when they opened up a few months ago. There are also several other small breweries getting physical tasting rooms in Allentown, Bangor, etc. but I've only tasted their beers at festivals and don't have an opinion one way or the other.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

We've built up a scene in the Lehigh Valley, but the breweries are more in the ABE area than Carbon County. Easton has Separatist (which used to be Sole), Two Rivers, Boser Geist just opened a tap room, and the well known Weyerbacher which is right off 78. Bethlehem has Bonn Place, which I agree with Kosher man is a must visit, and the first Fegley's Brew Works, downtown Allentown having the other. Allentown also has Hijinks on the south end of town. Emmaus has two nice breweries a block or two apart: Funk and Yergey. Nazareth has Birthright which was surprisingly good when they opened up a few months ago. There are also several other small breweries getting physical tasting rooms in Allentown, Bangor, etc. but I've only tasted their beers at festivals and don't have an opinion one way or the other.

Oh yeah Funk is doing good stuff I forgot about them and didn't know the others. I'll have to save this post. I live near King of Prussia so less familiar with the Lehigh Valley area.

Kosher man
May 8, 2002
Man it's so awesome to see that area change. When I lived there in like 05-06 there wasn't much in Bethlehem but fegleys. I spent most of my time at Which Brew (RIP).

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Lyon posted:

Oh yeah Funk is doing good stuff I forgot about them and didn't know the others. I'll have to save this post. I live near King of Prussia so less familiar with the Lehigh Valley area.

I'm surprised at the lack of updates from the local websites; the Morning Call seems like it's your best source (LV Brewers Guild and LV Beer Week don't seem to update as fast) unless you're in a local Facebook group. http://www.breweriesinpa.com/map/ looks like it's the most current, unfortunately for Jorge Von Bacon there's a 15 mile radius between him and the nearest brewery.

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I'm surprised at the lack of updates from the local websites; the Morning Call seems like it's your best source (LV Brewers Guild and LV Beer Week don't seem to update as fast) unless you're in a local Facebook group. http://www.breweriesinpa.com/map/ looks like it's the most current, unfortunately for Jorge Von Bacon there's a 15 mile radius between him and the nearest brewery.

Thank you all for the suggestions (and the map) - we are camping in Hickory Run State Park and it looks like a deadzone brewery wise.

We'll likely just take our drive back to NYC Sunday to hang out at a few of the places around Allentown.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

drat, when I passed through Allentown/Emmaus in 2012 looking for work there was almost nothing but Fegley's. I'm happy to see a beer scene developing there, especially since my mom's family is all from that area.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Got zwanze Tix at Fonta!

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I was getting gas and found Voodoo Ranger tall boys at the station . Already putting premium in my car, so I did the same for myself.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

One of the rare examples of 'If I didn't live here I would import this'

https://untappd.com/b/wander-beyond-brewing-bloom/2722036

The rarest of things, a black IPA I want more of. Between Wander Beyond, Cloudwater, and Track Brewing, I'm have to say Manchester frankly dunks on London/rest of the UK for great beer.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Hey, is Hair Of The Dog still having issues with carb and just general quality? Are Adam and Fred still good? There's an online shop offering free shipping and I loved those beers back in the day but know there were lots of issues lately.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Resident Fred and Adam lover here. Yes they are still good as hell. You should buy them.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

danbanana posted:

Hey, is Hair Of The Dog still having issues with carb and just general quality? Are Adam and Fred still good? There's an online shop offering free shipping and I loved those beers back in the day but know there were lots of issues lately.

Link please :justpost:

e: also hell yeah!
https://www.porchdrinking.com/articles/2018/08/31/ogs-craft-beer-allagash-white/

air- fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 31, 2018

Kosher man
May 8, 2002

Captain Duvel posted:

Got zwanze Tix at Fonta!

Goto my Anniversary party instead.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

this made me want some allagash white

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

this made me want some allagash white

Same but I don't think we get it down here in Florida. Only time I got to have it was in SF at some random burger place downtown.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

air- posted:

Link please :justpost:

http://www.bringonthebeer.com/new-arrival-beers.html

For some reason I signed up to get emails from these guys years ago and they're hilariously over-the-top. I've never ordered from them but it looks like they only mark-up bottles 10%-20% from shelf. With no tax and no shipping... yeah, maybe I'll place an order.

Thanks for the help, folks.

E: Nevermind! Illinois is one of states they won't ship to!

danbanana fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 31, 2018

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I’m drinking a heady while my friend is drinking Allagash white .

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Partycat posted:

I’m drinking a heady while my friend is drinking Allagash white .

Hell yeah

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

We got Prison City “Riot in Vermont” and Other Half session/IPA along with Lawson’s farmhouse IPA

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
When you guys are done sending me all that Allagash, send some more Boon Vat 109. Thanks in advance.

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010
At Birthright brewing in Nazareth PA - beers are great, but the food is definitely worth the trip.

Had my first brut ipa - “my neck, my back” - not near as carbonated as I expected, just a pretty good ipa

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Today is "Drink that beer that's been in your closet for so long because every time you look at it you're like 'i don't want to drink that' day."

Up first: Two Brothers' totally not-good Tangent, a "dark sour beer with brett" that tasted like a lovely brown ale when released in 2013. Five years later, it tastes more like a lovely oud bruin that is almost completely flat.

This experiment has not started out well.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

danbanana posted:

Today is "Drink that beer that's been in your closet for so long because every time you look at it you're like 'i don't want to drink that' day."

Up first: Two Brothers' totally not-good Tangent, a "dark sour beer with brett" that tasted like a lovely brown ale when released in 2013. Five years later, it tastes more like a lovely oud bruin that is almost completely flat.

Finished it! It grew on me but was still not particularly good.

This 2012 Lost Abbey Red Poppy, though, is not only flat but is acetic enough where if you told me it was vinegar, I wouldn't argue. It is very unlikely I will finish this because I legitimately think I'm better off making a shrub with it.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

danbanana posted:

This post and your previous inspired me to do the same thing. Currently drinking HotD Adam batch 86 (2012). Light carbonation. Tastes like leather, tobacco, milk chocolate, and cherries. It’s ducking delicious. Every batch of his I’ve had has been wonderful and age doesn’t hurt it at all.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

$30 for a 2010 The Abyss, worth it? Also saw a 2009 Celebration by Sierra Nevada for $10, didn’t know you could age a dark IPA like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

obi_ant posted:

$30 for a 2010 The Abyss, worth it? Also saw a 2009 Celebration by Sierra Nevada for $10, didn’t know you could age a dark IPA like that?

no to both, and i like Abyss with a couple years on it