Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Getting lost a few times is inevitable.

Getting lost can happen even to older players. I srill get lost from time to time from not paying attention.

Getting lost can be a whole adventure onto itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

one time i was mapping out a wormhole and a guy in the standing fleet collapsed the wormhole behind me

getting home was a challenge :v:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

one time i was mapping out a wormhole and a guy in the standing fleet collapsed the wormhole behind me

getting home was a challenge :v:

Thankfully that has never happened to me, but to be fair i have spent less than 30 min in wormholes since they came out.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
So what's with the drama asher?

vulvamancer
Oct 2, 2006

Yes! It all makes sense! We may be freaks, but we're freaks with teeth, and claws, and magic wands! And together, we can stand up to Farquaad!
https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/9byvdx/how_a_prominent_gotg_fc_chooses_to_go_to_nc_to/e56ztyk/

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

loving lol

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I'm the slow to realize he's signing his post

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

quote:

You have been weighed. You have been measured. And you have been found wanting.

who the gently caress writes like that and means it

of course

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer
lol that quote

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

Jazzzzz posted:

who the gently caress writes like that and means it

It's a quote from A Knight's Tale. You can just tell he's been waiting to use it as a sweet burn.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

If only there were a word in English to describe speech which creates the exact opposite effect of that which was intended

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
The reddit OP and the reply Asher quoted both reek of waifu pillows and hanzo steel. For the life of me I don't know how you guys can tolerate that poo poo

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

The reddit OP and the reply Asher quoted both reek of waifu pillows and hanzo steel. For the life of me I don't know how you guys can tolerate that poo poo

I mean this is like a solid 80% of eve players, except fatter.

Possible alternative for eve players itt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_oTUVtUqcM

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 1, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Jazzzzz posted:

You tolerate it the same way you tolerate watching a trainwreck -- with morbid curiosity.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Dog Pipes posted:

It's a quote from A Knight's Tale. You can just tell he's been waiting to use it as a sweet burn.

Which was quoting the bible. He probably knew it from the movie though

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

I have trouble enoughapping SA names to Eve names. I have no hope at all mapping Reddit.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

orange juche posted:

I mean this is like a solid 80% of eve players, except fatter.

Possible alternative for eve players itt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_oTUVtUqcM

nice selfie

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Did I hit too close to home for the D name poster?

SammichBacon
Nov 11, 2013

I regret playing this game already. Two days in and I'm lost. I'm overwhelmed, does the feeling go away eventually?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

SammichBacon posted:

I regret playing this game already. Two days in and I'm lost. I'm overwhelmed, does the feeling go away eventually?

No, just the scale of what you don't know becomes more obvious.

meatmccartney
Aug 4, 2016

SammichBacon posted:

It doesn’t take long to become functional. By that I mean not getting lost on a fleet, shooting the right guy, hitting F1. It takes a bit longer to become mediocre: overheating modules, using the right ammo, not decloaking the bridger, etc.

3 years and I never actually became close to good, so cant speak to that.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

It's a skill, just like anything else you do in games. Pick one thing, work on that then you'll figure it out pretty soon. Don't try and do every single thing a little bit at a time, cause then yea you'll feel lost for a long rear end time.

Edit: They're still running WTF classes. Get on those for things that sound interesting

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 2, 2018

SammichBacon
Nov 11, 2013

I am waiting for some skill books so I'll train through those so I'm useful. After that, I have to figure out how to make money. I felt bad that some guy gave me money to kill myself to our base.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SammichBacon posted:

I am waiting for some skill books so I'll train through those so I'm useful. After that, I have to figure out how to make money. I felt bad that some guy gave me money to kill myself to our base.

Don't feel too bad. The amount of money you were given was, very likely, a rounding error to whoever gave it to you.

SammichBacon
Nov 11, 2013

Also, is it worth my paying 15bux or whatever and getting an Omega upgrade?

SammichBacon
Nov 11, 2013

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Don't feel too bad. The amount of money you were given was, very likely, a rounding error to whoever gave it to you.

Alright, that me feel less like a spacebad. Thanks.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The very best advice every newbie should listen to and take heed of.

Don't worry about isk.

Just don't. You will do the grindiest stupidest poo poo to get isk and then realize you can't make enough to plex your account and get discouraged.

Going from newbie tackle to FYF to maybe an interceptor or a sabre or something, those ships are all pretty cheap. And if you die you will get reimbursed. You don't actually need billions of isk to do this poo poo. Even if you fly a battle ship and loose it on a fleet you're only out a few million.

If you like scamming people, do it for the laughs and the tears. The isk is nice, but don't bank on it.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
How hard is it to play EVE and maintain a free sub through in-game currency?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

You need money to make money. Once you get a certain amount of capital you can easily plex your accounts. But it's not a goal you should really be worrying about for a long while.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

ceaselessfuture posted:

At the start it's pretty difficult. Probably the easiest way, once you hit 5 million skill points, is to convert all your skill training into skill injectors instead of accumulating SP on an account. If you have +5s and train skills on an optimal remap, you'll create 3.88 skill injectors worth of SP a month, which, on average, will cover the cost of buying 500 PLEX + 3.88 extractors from the market. The downside, obviously, is you essentially don't train skills.

Grinding for enough ISK to keep subbed every month is a pretty draining experience, especially if you're a newer player and lack the SP/isk for the high-power PVE ships like rorquals and (super)carriers. I don't recommend it, but if one is in to poopsocking you can definitely do it.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Dalael posted:

nice selfie

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

I have this thread bookmarked thanks to Asher's call-out. If anyone needs an afk disconnected ganking organization director to head up a new ganking org to take down goons, lmk best credible offer so far is 150b.

Don't forget to comment like and subscribe!

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

What the gently caress did I just read?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Probably the easiest way, once you hit 5 million skill points, is to convert all your skill training into skill injectors instead of accumulating SP on an account. If you have +5s and train skills on an optimal remap, you'll create 3.88 skill injectors worth of SP a month, which, on average, will cover the cost of buying 500 PLEX + 3.88 extractors from the market. The downside, obviously, is you essentially don't train skills.

That requires like 4 billion in up-front costs though, which isn't very applicable to new players asking about F2P.

SammichBacon posted:

Also, is it worth my paying 15bux or whatever and getting an Omega upgrade?

Not yet, but eventually, yes. For a brand-new player the main thing omega gives you is 2x training speed, but when you're new the multi-day trains feel like forever whether it's 4 days or 8 days. Wait until you've done a bunch of the "I wanna try this now" stuff and are starting to train the support skills that are needed for everything but extremely boring because they don't seem to unlock anything.

I think it's generally a good idea to plan to pay for eve at least once before trying to grind for plex. Keep an eye for 50% sales on these packs -- they're often on sale via humble store or greenman games. They're not worth buying at full price but at half off they're pretty great. Those were on sale pretty much continuously in the summer.

Also, if you haven't done this already, remap your attributes.

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
GODDAMNIT! I STARTED TELLING A FRIEND ABOUT GOON STUFF AND WAS GOING THROUGH THE PR- CAMP AND WHY IT WAS IMPORTANT BECAUSE IT LET US PRESTAGE EVERYONE AND UUUUGHH

I was winning EVE for so long, years I think this time. YEARS of winning!

Now my client is patching...

gently caress...

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

No worries. Eve is actually fun now. You're winning by playing.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

CainFortea posted:

L You're winning by playing.

Lies

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

ceaselessfuture posted:

I know it sounds bad (coz it is) but it's way way easier to maintain plexed 2 or 3 accounts via isk rather than one alone. In fact if you're a totally clueless newbee it's almost impossible to get into the billions of isk per month in the first... dunno... 6/12 months, depending on how much help and space friends you have. And with space friends I don't mean corp or ally members, but actual people that carry you about pvp-ing, ratting, mining or give you tips and bpo/bpc for production or whatever is the field in which you decide you wanna make isk with. But given the fact that SP training takes years you should give yourself some time before drawing any particular deadline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Gross :decorum: