Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Casimir Radon posted:

Then there are the turrets...

gently caress I blocked them out of my memory. I was not expecting 4 on that ice level conveyor belt or the absolute shitload throughout Fest.

Still one of the best guns in any FPS. The later iterations don't come close to how cool this gun is.

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Dark Forces is one of those games that is probably going to sit unplayed in my Steam library forever (Jedi Knight as well). I did enjoy the SDQ run from a couple years back however. It has a good runner who explains how he breaks the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=578Qjud9I1M

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Now that XLEngine is open source we might actually see some progress. Playing without mouselook is a real nightmare in some places.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mierenneuker posted:

Dark Forces is one of those games that is probably going to sit unplayed in my Steam library forever (Jedi Knight as well). I did enjoy the SDQ run from a couple years back however. It has a good runner who explains how he breaks the game.

The only Star Wars runner that's really worth watching is CovertMuffin. :colbert:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

BaconCopter posted:

Still one of the best guns in any FPS. The later iterations don't come close to how cool this gun is.

Dark Forces had really hit and miss level design, at least for me, but goddamn if it didn't have a great arsenal.

Casimir Radon posted:

Now that XLEngine is open source we might actually see some progress. Playing without mouselook is a real nightmare in some places.

Holy poo poo it is! And it looks like people have been doing work on it! I assumed that Lucius had just hosed off forever and the source was lost; the xlengine website doesn't even work right anymore.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The only really bad level in DF is the sewers, and that’s only because it doesn’t communicate its central concept clearly enough so you can spend ages going confusedly in circles. Apart from that (and a couple smaller things like the fuckin ice physics) I think the maps are pretty consistently good. Where it suffers is in its weird rear end difficulty curve.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Johnny Joestar posted:

glory kills are an old as poo poo mechanic in games by this point so i don't know why people default to them having apparently taken it from brutal doom of all things

i mean realistically i do get why but it's dumb as hell

They're also fundamentally mechanically different in Doom 2016 vs Brutal Doom so even if they were "inspired" by the popularity of BD's gore or something (which they aren't, they're inspired by doom 1/2's more cartoony take than BD) they still are so significantly different to be transformative and original.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mierenneuker posted:

Unplayed like not replaying it or unplayed like you've never played it?

Dude Dark Forces is so good, you've gotta give it a chance. It has the perfect like, style, and atmosphere. Its really cool.

Jedi Knight honestly has aged really poorly IMO. I think Dark Forces has held up pretty well though. Jedi Outcast is rough around the edges but more playable than Jedi Knight is now.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I wish that XLEngine leak got worked on more. I liked what I played of Dark Forces in the old and slightly busted version of it, but I'm not super thrilled about going back to DOSBox with the limited resolution options and controls.

In general I'm still pissed about the XLEngine. Watching the forums go from excited, to worried, to doubtful, to spam was just depressing. It shoulda been one of the coolest things around for classic FPSs, but instead it's just a waste.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm annoyed that they waited until everyone had lost interest and moved on to release the source code (and an old version of it, too) seemingly as to make sure no one would pick it up.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I hope Gavin Clayton, the Daggerfall Unity guy, takes up the XLengine next. I have no nostalgia or love for DF as I've never actually played it (I started with JK), but I know a lot of people wanted that stuff released. Gavin has gone above and beyond everyone's expectations with DFU.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Zaphod42 posted:

Unplayed like not replaying it or unplayed like you've never played it?

Dude Dark Forces is so good, you've gotta give it a chance. It has the perfect like, style, and atmosphere. Its really cool.

Jedi Knight honestly has aged really poorly IMO. I think Dark Forces has held up pretty well though. Jedi Outcast is rough around the edges but more playable than Jedi Knight is now.

I think that’s harsh on Jedi Knight. It looks like rear end, but it’s a great game.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Jedi Knight is ugly, but it plays great and the levels are impressively large in a way most FPS maps still aren't.

The FMV is also charmingly bad.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
just gonna leave this here for y'all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l63nY0AYebI

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's something vaguely relevant to both this thread (as opposed to the DO5M one) and usage of the term "y'all".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw1Nt5bnisE

Supposedly there's some other, less-Java-based reverse-engineering projects going on as well, but nobody involved wants to say much about that...

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

ETPC posted:

just gonna leave this here for y'all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l63nY0AYebI

Oh no. This is going to gently caress up my YT recommendations even further.

:shepicide:

Edit: Most if not all of these are mentioned in the video too.

GUI fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 1, 2018

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yeah I really wish YouTube had some kind of button for “I’m just watching this to see what this idiot has to say; don’t you dare recommend anything like this to me ever”

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I sure am glad that the course for the next ten goddamn pages has been decided.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

david_a posted:

Yeah I really wish YouTube had some kind of button for “I’m just watching this to see what this idiot has to say; don’t you dare recommend anything like this to me ever”

Disliking the video may accomplish this, but dunno

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
It was too much to read at the time I found it so I just kinda skimmed but I'd like to read more of her positive Sandy Petersen level opinions because I probably disagree but it reminds me of my surprising (to me) enjoyment of the non combat levels in my Marathon 2 replay.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Mt. Erebus with its hub/sandbox-lite design is the best map in the original Doom. Fight me.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

Supposedly there's some other, less-Java-based reverse-engineering projects going on as well, but nobody involved wants to say much about that...

Would this have anything to do with the Night Dive guy's cryptic tweet about crowd-funding an IP purchase and source code release a while back?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

GUI posted:

Mt. Erebus with its hub/sandbox-lite design is the best map in the original Doom. Fight me.
It certainly has the best texturing!

Convex posted:

Would this have anything to do with the Night Dive guy's cryptic tweet about crowd-funding an IP purchase and source code release a while back?
I don't think so, it sounds like it's someone the eDuke32 people are talking to.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Hendricks has been pretty open about how eduke is eventually going to have support for Shadow Warrior and Redneck Rampage and Blood.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

GUI posted:

It's a good level and the only people that don't like it are babies that fear the color blue

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

I don't think so, it sounds like it's someone the eDuke32 people are talking to.

Ah ok, something to look forward to at least!

Also with the Mt Erebus talk, has anyone done an all-FIREBLU PWAD in the style of that Tim Allen one yet? I'd love to see YouTube try to cope with that one :v:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ETPC posted:

Hendricks has been pretty open about how eduke is eventually going to have support for Shadow Warrior and Redneck Rampage and Blood.
Yeah, but the exact details have been kind of cloudy and they're understandably pretty busy with Ion Maiden, so it's nice to know there's some movement at that particular station.

Convex posted:

Also with the Mt Erebus talk, has anyone done an all-FIREBLU PWAD in the style of that Tim Allen one yet? I'd love to see YouTube try to cope with that one :v:
Here you go: FIREBLU: ATTACK OF THE BITRATES.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I've never had much interest in Dark Forces but I tried it out a couple of days ago. Some observations after playing the first three levels...

- The main blaster feels soooo good. Just running around blasting storm troopers is fun stuff.
- Stormtrooper and officer enemies are cool
- Surprised there is no way to remap keys ingame
- loving no saving/loading!?! Goddamn
- That drat sewer level can go to hell, even the enemies in it are poo poo

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

david_a posted:

Try watching in a private browsing window so that it doesn't have access to its cookies and cannot know that it's you.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Cat Mattress posted:

Try watching in a private browsing window so that it doesn't have access to its cookies and cannot know that it's you.
Yeah but that’s a lot of effort when you’re zoned out in the mobile app :effort:

I’ve never used the like/dislike buttons; maybe that would do the trick

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm hoping whoever brings XLEngine forward gives you the option to strip the lives bit out of the game and just play with saves. I'm really happy that it's finally open sourced. I've been following it for years and it's been obvious that Lucius didn't have time for it, but still refused to let anyone else take a crack at it. I'd check the forums a couple times a year to see no progress, and any thread with someone asking Lucius to release his code would be shouted down by brown nosers.

I'm holding out hope that we get a Sith Engine sourceport someday. That would get JK, MOtS, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, and Droidworks all working on modern systems and possibly enhancable.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Jedi Knight is still a fantastic game, it's just a bitch to get running on modern systems, dgVoodoo 2 is your friend there. Jedi Knight speedruns are always fun too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb6nXSOPNgA

Jehde fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 1, 2018

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

:pcgaming:

thanks man!

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

SwissCM posted:

Jedi Knight is ugly, but it plays great and the levels are impressively large in a way most FPS maps still aren't.

The FMV is also charmingly bad.
The levels are also surprisingly easy to navigate relative to their size. With the exception of the two levels comprising your dad's mansion and the inexplicably enormous sewer system connected to it; those ones are awful.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Finally pushed past the initial obtuseness of EYE and am having a blast! The game is totally different then I was expecting, it's a tactical shooter that really encourages corner leaning. Only on level 3 of the campaign but the "side missions" seem much harder.

I'm really hating how the game saves. I've beaten missions, quit the game for the time, and had to do the final objective again twice on restart.

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 1, 2018

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Jedi Knight's FMV isn't bad as far as FMV goes. Same goes for Rebel Assault II.

Jehde posted:

Jedi Knight is still a fantastic game, it's just a bitch to get running on modern systems, dgVoodoo 2 is your friend there. Jedi Knight speedruns are always fun too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb6nXSOPNgA
The GOG release works pretty well. Night and day difference between it and what Lucasarts pushed out on Steam while they were slowly dying.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

david_a posted:

that option is called private browsing/incognito mode

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

BaconCopter posted:

Finally pushed past the initial obtuseness of EYE and am having a blast! The game is totally different then I was expecting, it's a tactical shooter that really encourages corner leaning. Only on level 3 of the campaign but the "side missions" seem much harder.

I'm really hating how the game saves. I've beaten missions, quit the game for the time, and had to do the final objective again twice on restart.

Ooh, I just started playing EYE today as well, after finishing Hexen II yesterday (which is not a game I would recommend, sorry Raven Software). The side missions definitely can be a bitch. I played the city one first, and it put me up against like 50 enemies in the span of four minutes. So much for 6 assault rifle clips being enough, I barely had time to loot ammo or to turn it into healing (I also ended up failing a protect objective later on). Then I tried the factory one and one of my objectives was to assassinate a Jian, who ended up being godlike. I ended up losing like 8 lives to the guy, because respawning while he's still standing around didn't prove very fruitful. I ended up luring him towards the armory, only to find out that the sentry turrets there did nothing. So yeah, that was a restart.

It's a very unique game tho. Beyond the plot and general dialogues being oh so off, the actual execution is quite interesting. It feels like some kind of weird European precursor to what we have now in games like Destiny and The Division. Only the overall feel is like it's single-player mod with a story back in the HL/UT/Q3 days.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I played Jedi Knight for the first time relatively recently (2010 or so?) and thought that it had aged pretty badly. The lightsabre and force powers, in particular, were pretty clunky, and the further into the game you get the more heavily it relies on them. The final boss was possibly one of the most aggravating things that I haven't ragequit.

Dark Forces I think still holds up pretty well, but I also played it for the first time (well, the demo) back in the 90s so perhaps I just have nostalgia goggles on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I normally don't listen much to industrial, but I really like track 6 in Quake. Don't particularly care for the game, I found it drab and unfocused even back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n8iU7abqkQ&t=1320s