Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

EYE is not alt-tab compatible, accidentally pressed the windows key and bam, who knows how much progress the arbitrary saving system lost me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

GUI posted:

Oh no. This is going to gently caress up my YT recommendations even further.

:shepicide:

Edit: Most if not all of these are mentioned in the video too.

I don't know what I did to my youtube settings so very long ago but I almost never get recommendations that aren't from people I already sub to/more from the person I'm currently watching. (It might be because I've completely turned off video history)

Also talking about shooter music, I don't think the Hive tracks from Destiny 1 get enough credit for how good they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byhTEsSA70c

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast still holds up pretty well. So if you're interested in swinging dat saber, get that one.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/dominictarason/status/1036057413680607232

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

Here's something vaguely relevant to both this thread (as opposed to the DO5M one) and usage of the term "y'all".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw1Nt5bnisE

Supposedly there's some other, less-Java-based reverse-engineering projects going on as well, but nobody involved wants to say much about that...

Nice, I've been looking forward to this and I'm glad to see it coming out.

The eDuke people working on something sounds good, but they've also been working on a Shadow Warrior port for ages so I'll wait until I see anything to get excited.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Happy that other people pointed out that Jedi Knight has aged poorly. Its just got some seriously clunky mechanics behind it.

If anything, Jedi Outcast/Academy have actually aged better over time. Largely because instead of improving the lightsaber mechanics every other Star Wars game has totally failed to even approach the feeling of lightsaber'ing your way through.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

I remember seeing MrIcarus showed this off in a video a while ago (I guess when it was still being worked). I played a bit of that iteration back in May, captured some screens of it, and posted them here in the Awful/Awesome mods thread.

Max Wilco posted:

Oh wow, I downloaded this, and...man...

The banana-hands purple thing I think is supposed to be BonziBuddy. It's got voice clips from Vinesauce Joel.

:frogout: has come up in the world, it seems.

Here's an Imgur album of some stuff I found: https://imgur.com/a/uZPlS

I had more, but I've since deleted the original images.

I'm curious (as well as frightened) to see what might have changed in that time

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 2, 2018

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Max Wilco posted:

I remember seeing MrIcarus showed this off in a video a while ago (I guess when it was still being worked). I played a bit of that iteration back in May, captured some screens of it, and posted them here in the Awful/Awesome mods thread.

I'm curious (as well as frightened) to see what might have changed in that time

Yea I don't get the appeal to play it but it was fun watching MrIcarus go through it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i25CBfOUAUQ

(and I'm glad other people watch his videos)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I recently bought and played a few minutes of Dark Forces, and... well, I can't figure it out: is it nostalgia or it being a pre-prequels artifact that it looks and feels so much more "Star Wars" than just about any franchise product made since 2001?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Ancient Aliens is loving cool. I gave it a few tries in 2016 and 2017, but kept stalling in the first act due to just not really being in a doom mood I guess, but I'm now in the third act and there is some loving cool poo poo.

Cultural Shock is probably the coolest map I have seen in a doom wad.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dear Doom 2: this is not good level design.

Yeah Doom 2's levels kinda suck.

Ularg posted:

Yea I don't get the appeal to play it but it was fun watching MrIcarus go through it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i25CBfOUAUQ

(and I'm glad other people watch his videos)
I'm a big fan too. He's doing the lord's work.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 2, 2018

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

Happy that other people pointed out that Jedi Knight has aged poorly. Its just got some seriously clunky mechanics behind it.

Curious, what are the clunky mechanics that made it difficult for you to enjoy the game? Was it using the F keys for force powers? Because you can rebind those... But also I guess I still have the muscle memory to jam F5 down to force jump so. :shrug:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

doctorfrog posted:

I recently bought and played a few minutes of Dark Forces, and... well, I can't figure it out: is it nostalgia or it being a pre-prequels artifact that it looks and feels so much more "Star Wars" than just about any franchise product made since 2001?

Wait... so you're saying you were ok with the Phantom Menace?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

wait, when did that come out? .s..

ok, since 1999.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I played Jedi Knight for the first time last month and I had a blast. Of course a game from over 20 years ago is gonna feel a little dated. Despite that, the weapons felt good, the levels were huge and sprawling but still easy to navigate, the live action cutscenes were surprisingly watchable and everyone involved was clearly having a blast, and it felt like going on a really dope Star Wars adventure, which most games outside of KotoR 1 completely fail to capture the feeling of.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

fishmech posted:

Wait... so you're saying you were ok with the Phantom Menace?

Hey now, ep 1 racer was alright

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

Jedi Knight's FMV isn't bad as far as FMV goes. Same goes for Rebel Assault II.

The GOG release works pretty well. Night and day difference between it and what Lucasarts pushed out on Steam while they were slowly dying.
Disney's since updated the Steam releases to be closer to the GOG ones, but they're still pretty messy. I threw together a guide on how to meddle with them further to enable hardware rendering and better windowed functionality.

BaconCopter posted:

EYE is not alt-tab compatible, accidentally pressed the windows key and bam, who knows how much progress the arbitrary saving system lost me.
You can make EYE alt-tab compatible by using the following launch options to enable Borderless Windowed mode:
pre:
-windowed -noborder
This should also work for pretty much every other Source Engine 1 game from Orange Box onwards.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Lambert posted:

Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast still holds up pretty well. So if you're interested in swinging dat saber, get that one.

Some of it is rough tho. Not starting out with a saber and force powers. Having to protect those prisoners with a turret. Nar Shaddaa with its suicidal bombers and snipers. The small droid in Bespin that just loves charging into wired explosives.

It’s one reason why I would replay Jedi Academy instead. You’re a jedi from the start and there are just smaller set-pieces instead of elaborate levels. Even a mission without much combat (the one inspired by Tremors) is interesting. I only remember disliking the one that resolves around speeder bikes.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 2, 2018

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Anyone know what happened with John Romero and Adrian Carmack's Blackroom? Doesn't look like there's been any talk of it since they pulled the kickstarter

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

HolyKrap posted:

Anyone know what happened with John Romero and Adrian Carmack's Blackroom? Doesn't look like there's been any talk of it since they pulled the kickstarter
IIRC Romero says he can't talk about it, and also that he's working on something for a publisher that he can't talk about. Some dots can probably be joined...

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't know. As much as I'd like to see what they can do, I'm totally fine with him sticking with gunman taco truck and stuff like that.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Romero should just make a fukkin' megawad. Those coupla maps he did the other year were pretty good.

or...

John Romero's Techbase Tycoon!!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'd pay for his own version of Dungeon Keeper. "Make your own U.A.C. complex. Manage resources, build new laboratories and research new teleportation technology while keeping demonic invasions under control. You lose if you alert the Doom Slayer of your activities."

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Jehde posted:

Curious, what are the clunky mechanics that made it difficult for you to enjoy the game? Was it using the F keys for force powers? Because you can rebind those... But also I guess I still have the muscle memory to jam F5 down to force jump so. :shrug:

For me the #1 jankiest part of JK was saber combat, especially having played JO first. It doesn't help that it doesn't use skeletal animation, and the saber attack animations have so few frames that it's hard to tell what you -- or your opponent -- is actually connecting with.

#2 is Force Speed and the way it makes you faster (and correspondingly harder to control) rather than making everything around you slower as it does in JO/JA. And these two combine to make the final bossfight, a one on one lightsaber duel where both participants have Force Speed, the worst part of the game.

Mierenneuker posted:

Some of [Jedi Outcast] is rough tho. Not starting out with a saber and force powers. Having to protect those prisoners with a turret. Nar Shaddaa with its suicidal bombers and snipers. The small droid in Bespin that just loves charging into wired explosives.

It’s one reason why I would replay Jedi Academy instead. You’re a jedi from the start and there are just smaller set-pieces instead of elaborate levels. Even a mission without much combat (the one inspired by Tremors) is interesting. I only remember disliking the one that resolves around speeder bikes.

It's been a while since I played either, but I think the best parts of JO are better than the best parts of JA, but JA is more consistently good and definitely has the best lightsaber combat in the series, yeah.

Dark Forces has the best gunplay though. :colbert:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Guillermus posted:

I'd pay for his own version of Dungeon Keeper. "Make your own U.A.C. complex. Manage resources, build new laboratories and research new teleportation technology while keeping demonic invasions under control. You lose if you alert the Doom Slayer of your activities."

So he functions more like DK2's Horny, except he's more of a time limit?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Dark Forces series steadily morphed from an FPS into a character action game. It’s no surprise that by the end the guns are pretty much vestigial — though I do like Academy’s conc rifle. JK’s saber combat is spastic and unintuitive but I enjoy it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

THE BAR posted:

So he functions more like DK2's Horny, except he's more of a time limit?

I'm ashamed to say that I barely touched DK2 back in the days (played more DK1) but after googling, yeah something like that. More than a time limit a "% demonic invasion" counter meassure you can pull to gently caress all demons but it will also destroy most, if not all of your base.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I would love a version of Dungeon Warfare, but with the Doom license.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah the sabre combat for JK is definitely janky, but it's in an endearing way. Force speed straight up making you go fast was ridiculously fun to me, but for sure difficult to handle.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

doctorfrog posted:

Yeah man, that's what I'm saying. It just feels proper Star Wars in that kinda gritty way that it doesn't really do anymore. X-WING and TIE have the same proper old-school star wars feel. Jedi Knight is janky but also has that old-school feel.

Jedi Starfighter and Jedi Power Battles and Jedi Academy and onwards there's decent games but they all start to feel different in tone.

The original trilogy was before franchises and before 'kids movies' and so it was just WW2 in space and that's what kids liked back then. These days everything exists in the context of a huge mass-appeal franchise so the tone is just completely different.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 2, 2018

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

The Kins posted:

You can make EYE alt-tab compatible by using the following launch options to enable Borderless Windowed mode:
pre:
-windowed -noborder
This should also work for pretty much every other Source Engine 1 game from Orange Box onwards.

Thank you so much!

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I kinda wish we could just have a demo of Doom Eternal right now that's just one level of arcade. I really want to shotgun grapple around the place.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I know Bioshock 2 isn't considered an "old game" yet, but I just wanna stop by and say that I can't believe how bad the remaster is. I must have crashed ~30 times playing through it. Apparently it's a very common problem with the remaster, and has been in this condition since it launched roughly 2 years ago. If I had known that, I probably would have just downloaded the "regular" version and played through that.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I know Bioshock 2 isn't considered an "old game" yet, but I just wanna stop by and say that I can't believe how bad the remaster is. I must have crashed ~30 times playing through it. Apparently it's a very common problem with the remaster, and has been in this condition since it launched roughly 2 years ago. If I had known that, I probably would have just downloaded the "regular" version and played through that.

Yep, crashed for me as well (on PS4 Pro). Was playing through it just last month, lost a whole level over it crashing (Dionysus Park), so about 1-2 hours of gameplay. After that, I started saving manually every few minutes.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Lambert posted:

Yep, crashed for me as well (on PS4 Pro). Was playing through it just last month, lost a whole level over it crashing (Dionysus Park), so about 1-2 hours of gameplay. After that, I started saving manually every few minutes.

I was hammering quick-save like a mandman my whole playthrough (even more so than usual!). Even then, I also experienced the same thing you did and lost a save and ~15-20 minutes of progress.

It's really poo poo, because as far as the actual game goes I liked it better than Bioshock 1.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Wow Duke it out in DC is really good! Managed to get it working in eduke32 (I tried a few years back but must have messed something up, not sure how!) and so far I'm really impressed with how the levels are laid out and in particular some of the secrets are really fun.

It's a shame the Megaton edition isn't for sale any more as I think that was the only way to legitimately buy it :(

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dear Doom 2: this is not good level design.

What's really not good though is using texture filtering at such a low resolution. :barf:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah it's weird because I heard similar complaints about the remaster of Bioshock 1, but I played both back to back and had very few issues with it. It was only with Bioshock 2 Remastered that I seemed to experience frequent crashes and instability.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Negrostrike posted:

What's really not good though is using texture filtering at such a low resolution. :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Dude play bioshock on a PC.

If an FPS is available on PC and isn't named "halo" you should be playing it on PC. Goldeneye wasn't even on PC and you should be playing it on PC.

E: Huh, the remaster is on PC too? I never even heard of that release. I thought it was just a cheap console port cash-in. Still, I'd just play the original release with the resolution cranked up on PC.