Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

Oh man this sounds good. I'm having the best time in Souls games when the situation is apparently impossible and deeply unfair. I spent two weeks trying to take down the Orphan of Kos in Bloodborne and I loved every miserable minute. Bring on the pain.

The Dark Souls 2 DLC is pretty challenging and great, but they were referencing one of the "co-op" areas that all 3 DLCs have and are the exception. These are places that people who don't own the DLC (which in SotFS is no one) could be summoned into and as such are balanced around having a party of players. Mostly they throw a shitload of enemies at you and feature multi-enemy boss fights, so hope you like kiting.

They're very skippable, although there are a few cool boss soul weapons locked behind them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

muscles like this! posted:

I hate when games have an "injured" section where all of a sudden your character is wounded in some story way and you have to walk through an area slowly, with the character stumbling around. It always seems like it goes on for way too long and is especially annoying if you're ever replaying a game.

I remember people talking a lot about the MGS4 microwave hallway, but I can't remember if it was positive or not.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Moon Monster posted:

They're very skippable, although there are a few cool boss soul weapons locked behind them.

No there aren't. First DLC's doesn't have a boss soul. Second gives you a recolor of a boss soul weapon you already have, third does give you some unique stuff but they're all bad.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

PubicMice posted:

I remember people talking a lot about the MGS4 microwave hallway, but I can't remember if it was positive or not.
It was negative, but they're dumb. It was fantastic.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The microwave scene was to trick you into being more engaged in the climax of the story and it worked on me.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

RyokoTK posted:

That part in Nier Automata both sucks and owns as hard as possible.

So loving angry-sad for that whole section.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nuebot posted:

No there aren't. First DLC's doesn't have a boss soul. Second gives you a recolor of a boss soul weapon you already have, third does give you some unique stuff but they're all bad.

I really like the sword you can get from the ice dlc one, but the shield you also get from it is bafflingly terrible. The fire dlc actually has two of these areas. One is pretty pointless but the other lets you get a very unique sword, and also some cool armor. The poison DLC one, iirc, just gets you some skirt which is pretty pointless aside from fashion souls.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Enjoying Gwent, the stand alone, a lot but a ton of the cards are all gorgeously animated and it's very disorientating. Seeing mages wave their hands around, soldiers swing swords, etc, while you're trying to think really throws me off.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

rodbeard posted:

The microwave scene was to trick you into being more engaged in the climax of the story and it worked on me.

She cooked a perfect egg! That game was so dumb but it got to me.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Safeword posted:

Enjoying Gwent, the stand alone, a lot but a ton of the cards are all gorgeously animated and it's very disorientating. Seeing mages wave their hands around, soldiers swing swords, etc, while you're trying to think really throws me off.

I believe there's an option to turn those off.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

She cooked a perfect egg! That game was so dumb but it got to me.

Ive never seen egg cooking being used as a foreshadowing before so hats off to Kojima there

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

People trash MGS4 a lot but I still love it, even if there's A LOT of movie between the actually really good and cool gameplay.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yardbomb posted:

People trash MGS4 a lot but I still love it, even if there's A LOT of movie between the actually really good and cool gameplay.

I think the only part of the game I actively hated on replays was chapter 3. It was just walking forward through the streets of France, an on rail shooter, and then the boss fight. There was a lot of plot there but when you skip it a lot of the area is just gone.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Len posted:

I think the only part of the game I actively hated on replays was chapter 3. It was just walking forward through the streets of France, an on rail shooter, and then the boss fight. There was a lot of plot there but when you skip it a lot of the area is just gone.

The funny thing is that IIRC the tailing has lots of variations but they require you to fail at something that even someone who's pretty much brain-dead would succeed at, so no real player would actually see any of it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm watching Chip and Ironicus' LP of MGS4 right now, in lieu of replaying it, and I strongly feel I made the right choice. I didn't like or finish it when I first played it, without really understanding why, but watching the LP made me realize that I just don't care for its main gimmick of sneaking around between rival armies. And it doesn't so much have a story as it has fanservice, with nothing but returning characters left and right (coming in with everything for a huge party).

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

I really like the sword you can get from the ice dlc one, but the shield you also get from it is bafflingly terrible. The fire dlc actually has two of these areas. One is pretty pointless but the other lets you get a very unique sword, and also some cool armor. The poison DLC one, iirc, just gets you some skirt which is pretty pointless aside from fashion souls.

Alonne isn't an optional multi-player area. You have to beat him to get all the spikes to get the ashen bride soul.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Despite all I've bitched about previously about Graveyard Keeper, I've played enough and unlocked enough of the game's tech tree where I'm finally fulfilling the promise of the game. I'm being a terrible person who grabs corpses, determines if their fate (good corpses get buried in my graveyard, bad ones get chopped up for parts), and generally helps the town.

The real sticking point? The goddamned inventory. You start (and presumably finish) with 20 inventory slots. Five of those will be filled up by mandatory tools, and items either don't stack or they stack in sizes that are not at all proportionate to how much you need. And as a crafting game, you'll usually need multiple slots of {stuff} to make the {thing} you need.

I think the devs realized this, because the game has an admittedly neat system where the game treats any nearby chests as being in your inventory, but its still annoying.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nuebot posted:

Alonne isn't an optional multi-player area. You have to beat him to get all the spikes to get the ashen bride soul.

You need to grind charred Loyce knights for hours to get the equivalent soul in the Loyce DLC but I can't imagine anyone claiming that isn't optional.

Alonne isn't as tacked on as the other coop areas but you don't need to do it to beat the DLC so it's still optional. Fume Knight might give you trouble if you've used all of the other spikes, though.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

I hate when games have an "injured" section where all of a sudden your character is wounded in some story way and you have to walk through an area slowly, with the character stumbling around. It always seems like it goes on for way too long and is especially annoying if you're ever replaying a game.

This is one of my least favorite parts about MGR:R

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time is still good but the last hour or two is a bit of a letdown. The loving elevator fight sucks because it's the first time you can really lose by Farrah dying, and then you have to play the rest of the game without time powers. It's not conceptually bad but it gets frustrating in practice.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

MisterBibs posted:

Despite all I've bitched about previously about Graveyard Keeper, I've played enough and unlocked enough of the game's tech tree where I'm finally fulfilling the promise of the game. I'm being a terrible person who grabs corpses, determines if their fate (good corpses get buried in my graveyard, bad ones get chopped up for parts), and generally helps the town.

The real sticking point? The goddamned inventory. You start (and presumably finish) with 20 inventory slots. Five of those will be filled up by mandatory tools, and items either don't stack or they stack in sizes that are not at all proportionate to how much you need. And as a crafting game, you'll usually need multiple slots of {stuff} to make the {thing} you need.

I think the devs realized this, because the game has an admittedly neat system where the game treats any nearby chests as being in your inventory, but its still annoying.

You're not alone, the inventory is the single worst thing about that game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time is still good but the last hour or two is a bit of a letdown. The loving elevator fight sucks because it's the first time you can really lose by Farrah dying, and then you have to play the rest of the game without time powers. It's not conceptually bad but it gets frustrating in practice.

Yeah like, if it were a movie itd be super thematic and great. As a game where checkpoints are pretty dang far apart since you have a do over button its really rough.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

You need to grind charred Loyce knights for hours to get the equivalent soul in the Loyce DLC but I can't imagine anyone claiming that isn't optional.

Alonne isn't as tacked on as the other coop areas but you don't need to do it to beat the DLC so it's still optional. Fume Knight might give you trouble if you've used all of the other spikes, though.

By that logic about 90% of dark souls 2 is optional.
Also it's definitely not co-op intended area. It doesn't have the same summon spots and the boss is meant to be a one on one duel.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nuebot posted:

100 percent of it is optional (because it's bad)

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FactsAreUseless posted:

100 percent of it is optional (because it's bad)

bad opinion spotted

unrelated: Enter the Gungeon: gently caress the Ammoconda! It is legitimately the boss I hate the most. It has an erratic movement pattern, you can't tell if its little bullet chains are going to turn left or right, it spawns small spike-shooting things that have way too much health. The Ammoconda will make a beeline towards those minions, eat them, and by doing that, the boss regains some health, gets faster, and charges straight at you. The only effective way of kicking this piece of poo poo down without getting hit is to have a shotgun and/or bouncy bullets, or the active item that is literally a nuke.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Barudak posted:

Yeah like, if it were a movie itd be super thematic and great. As a game where checkpoints are pretty dang far apart since you have a do over button its really rough.

They do add in a few more hidden checkpoints in the area and it's a nice homage to the original game (given he also gets shirtless at that point) but it needed to be shorter or have you lose sand tanks over time rather than them all going at once.

Still a really charming, fun game. On to Warrior Within, which is only one of those.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A thing dragging Path of Exile down are the people who smugly sit back and go "this is what Diablo 3 should be and they did it for free":smug:

Fucker you haven't even tried Diablo 3. You've never even been in the same room as it being played.

And the sphere grid is neat and all but you can't respec on the fly so you better hope that the RNG drops abilities that go with what you've put points into and never leave those skills because you have to start from level 1.

Both games are loot treadmill skinner boxes but they also both do very different things yet somehow PoE is The One True Diablo 3.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Len posted:

A thing dragging Path of Exile down are the people who smugly sit back and go "this is what Diablo 3 should be and they did it for free":smug:

Fucker you haven't even tried Diablo 3. You've never even been in the same room as it being played.

And the sphere grid is neat and all but you can't respec on the fly so you better hope that the RNG drops abilities that go with what you've put points into and never leave those skills because you have to start from level 1.

Both games are loot treadmill skinner boxes but they also both do very different things yet somehow PoE is The One True Diablo 3.

The thing dragging PoE down is that the combat is disgustingly poo poo and clunky.

Oh, the thing dragging down literally every aRPG down besides Diablo 1 (when positioning, pacing, and proper aggro really mattered) is that the combat is always garbage. Just mowing down endless hordes of enemies as fast as possible so the player can constantly experience that satisfaction of drops, drops and more drops.

It's weird how much I used to play these games only to realize now how much I actually find them boring as poo poo.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Len posted:

What? It's trivial to have enough stats for whatever skill you want if you're building at all for the archetype that skill fits, and you have stat rolls/implicits to make up for temporary shortfalls. Attack skills get most of their base dps from the weapons you've got so you don't even lose much from swapping those out. Also you can just buy gems and supports, and theres two vendors that sell literally every buyable gem, ignoring all the other gems you get for free.

The bigger problem with the lovely respec, beyond it being a lovely respec, is that it's pretty easy to not have anywhere near enough ehp for lategame if you're going in blind and not following a build guide and then lol oops start again dipshit.

Diablo 3 does different stuff and it's not awful but I spent most of the last time I played it wondering why I wasn't just playing PoE. Also I really don't like the resource generation system, but I appreciate they tried to do something different.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The thing I hate about Sands of Time's elevator fight is just how hard it is. If I haven't collected literally every sand-puddle hidden throughout the game I won't have enough for the Time Stop ability by the elevator, which at least for me is mandatory to be able to get through that section.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I'm playing The Crew (the first one), which has a bunch of 'skills' challenges scattered about, which are mostly good. But if you win an upgrade part and install it, there's a quick fade to black and your car is made stationary. It's an annoying interruption to the otherwise pretty permissive free drive flow. You're also stopped if you look at the map for too long, but that one is fair enough, since I guess you're not moving while you're looking at it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Lord Lambeth posted:

This is one of my least favorite parts about MGR:R

Especially because there's a collectible or two to grab and you're graded on a fight during it, IIRC.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nuebot posted:

Also it's definitely not co-op intended area. It doesn't have the same summon spots and the boss is meant to be a one on one duel.

I mean yeah, DS2 has a lot of optional content. Much less than 90%. Memory of the Old Iron King is one of the areas that people who don't have the DLC can be summoned into, unless both my memory and wikis are lying to me. I feel like if they didn't intend it to be a coop thing they wouldn't have put these in (I still soloed it because Souls multiplayer is garbage). It's very well hidden and has almost nothing to do with the critical path. Much like the other DLC coop areas it's pretty much just a gauntlet that throws a poo poo ton of enemies at you with a boss at the end. It feels a bit less tacked on since it has a unique boss and some plot relevance, but it's still pretty much just "You wanted to see that Alonne guy we've been talking about and maybe get some of his stuff? Here you go".

Of course you could say all Dark Souls DLC content is optional, but you beat the DS2 DLC by grabbing the three crowns, which you don't need to kill Alonne to do. Fighting him is just a bonus challenge like Kalameet in DS1.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Len posted:

I've made a go of playing PoE a few times and even following builds from their forums it's always a situation where I'm doing pretty well until suddenly I'm not and I have no idea why or how I can fix it. The feel of playing the game also just isn't very good compared to others in the genre, imo.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Moon Monster posted:

I've made a go of playing PoE a few times and even following builds from their forums it's always a situation where I'm doing pretty well until suddenly I'm not and I have no idea why or how I can fix it. The feel of playing the game also just isn't very good compared to others in the genre, imo.

It got good around my 4th or 5th attempt. I'm hoping I'll actually beat the main campaign this time. I'm aware how damning with faint praise that is.

Diablo 3 is also a really fun game, but I've put a couple hundred hours into that so I need something different. Also it didn't really get good until the first expansion. I was playing it back when it had that ill-advised cash auction house.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
The lame thing about PoE is that every build has to focus on defensive stats instead of fun and cool things that change how your character plays.

Also all of the movement skills are boring, sure hope you like shield charge.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Diablo 3 is better just because I can get to max level in one play sessions and have all my abilities open to me instantly.

RPGs just don't really do it for me anymore. I love the gear grind but good god do I not want to level characters up any more. Keep thinking of starting Borderlands Presequel up again to finally beat it but gently caress I don't want to put several hours in just to start feeling like my build even matters.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I started up Borderlands recently for my son since he wanted to try it, and it's amazing how awkward it is to just pick poo poo off the ground. He's a wee lad and a bad shot so he needs lots of ammo pick ups and you nearly need to be pixel perfect to get the prompt. All the goodies in that game needed to be scoopable like a Doom game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

marshmallow creep posted:

I started up Borderlands recently for my son since he wanted to try it, and it's amazing how awkward it is to just pick poo poo off the ground. He's a wee lad and a bad shot so he needs lots of ammo pick ups and you nearly need to be pixel perfect to get the prompt. All the goodies in that game needed to be scoopable like a Doom game.

Just hold down the interact button to hoover everything up around you. That's a thing in the first Borderlands, isn't it? It's been a while since I've played.

Anyway in DQXI, casting Zoom while indoors no longer has you bash your head on the ceiling. 0/10 fake DQ game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Morpheus posted:

Just hold down the interact button to hoover everything up around you. That's a thing in the first Borderlands, isn't it? It's been a while since I've played.
Be careful to only do that to ammo and not guns as it will auto equip it (iirc)