Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

if beto is smart he'll book the cotton bowl, a stadium people actually like, for a rally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shear Modulus posted:

if beto is smart he'll book the cotton bowl, a stadium people actually like, for a rally

Oh yeah, sometime during the State Fair.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Even if Beto doesn't win, he's already caused damage to Banana Republicans nationwide just from the fact that they are having to allocate resources to protect what should have been a safe seat.

If he wins I can definitely see a Presidential run in 2020 even if just to get name recognition for a 2024 or 2028 run.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
It's going to be NRG Stadium because Bob McNair is the biggest Trump supporting rear end-hat in the group of rear end-hats known as NFL Owners

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Hell, it was legal to drink while driving in Texas until 1987. You can thank Gov. Bill Clements for changing that.

Of course that only applied to the driver. It took a few more years to also make it illegal for passengers to take some sips while riding.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Hell, it was legal to drink while driving in Texas until 1987. You can thank Gov. Bill Clements for changing that.

Of course that only applied to the driver. It took a few more years to also make it illegal for passengers to take some sips while riding.

The feds would have threatened the highway funds eventually if the state hadn't changed it. That's what they did to force Louisiana to raise the drinking age to 21.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

The feds would have threatened the highway funds eventually if the state hadn't changed it. That's what they did to force Louisiana to raise the drinking age to 21.

thanks obama

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
There was a bar in Orange right on the border with Louisiana that "mysteriously" birned down when Texas upped the drinking age to 21 but LA was still 18 that got rebuilt on the LA side of the border.

When LA went to 21 the bar "mysteriously" burned down again amd was rebuilt back on the Texas side.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Hey, saw this on twitter.

https://twitter.com/AntonioArellano/status/1035913201685352448

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

This has to happen.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Someone start a GoFundMe and I will absolutely contribute.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

mastajake posted:

I would as well. Even better would be having multiple billboards of the bad stuff Trump has said around the stadium and all the bad things Ted has said about Trump on the route to the stadium from the airport Trump would likely fly in from.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Hell, even better pay for ads by "Loyal to Trump PAC" that will play ads in the week up to Trump going to meet Cruz on Fox and Friends about Ted Cruz showing "disloyalty".

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Crowsbeak posted:

Hell, even better pay for ads by "Loyal to Trump PAC" that will play ads in the week up to Trump going to meet Cruz on Fox and Friends about Ted Cruz showing "disloyalty".

How difficult is it to set up a PAC to do something like this?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

dalstrs posted:

How difficult is it to set up a PAC to do something like this?

Extremely easy.

https://www.fec.gov/help-candidates-and-committees/registering-pac/

Just fill out this form and send it in for a super PAC: https://transition.fec.gov/pdf/forms/fecfrm1.pdf

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
What a joke this country has let itself become

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I couldn't be arsed to care what happens to the Alamo but the proposed redesign of the area looks nice:

https://twitter.com/SAcurrent/status/852236176417271818
The Alamo is currently a dump, with a street in front of it and then some tacky tourist shops. It's the most overrated tourist attraction in North America. Anything would be an improvement over that. But what's most interesting to me is that this wild opposition to any changes at all is coming from this group This Is Texas Freedom Force, which partially emerged from the Texas State Militia (not to be confused with the Texas State Guard) after a split:

https://twitter.com/ThisIsTexasFF/status/1034489501152894977

Background:

https://www.texasobserver.org/whos-defending-texas-confederate-monuments/

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 1, 2018

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Removing a road to box in the area with glass and turn it into an open, unshaded lot is really the main reason to object to it.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The walls apparently trace the original mission walls, but either way the main objection from the protesters seems to be moving the cenotaph, which has taken on mystical proportions.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
they should level all of downtown SA to recreate what it was like when the alamo fell, imo

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
also what the gently caress is a centopath

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's an obelisk-like object nearby with names of Texan soldiers who died at the Alamo, constructed in 1936 and sculpted by Pompeo Coppini.

Legend has it that Ozzy Osbourne once got arrested for pissing on the Alamo while wearing Sharon Osbourne's dress, but that is incorrect: he actually pissed on the cenotaph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CprfjfN5PRs

The plan calls for moving the cenotaph, and this has been the main rallying cry for the protesters who are describing it like it's a tomb. But it's not an actual tomb. So like a symbolic tomb?

--

Though one problem may be the possible demolition of the buildings across the street. There are tacky tourist shops in them but those are old commercial buildings that are quite nice. The cenotaph will be moved a few hundred feet south. I don't care about that but demolishing the old buildings (though not assured) is a bit... ehh. Well, anyways TITFF is "cause shopping" and keeping the cenotaph in place has been their primero cause for awhile.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 2, 2018

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah I grew up in SA and having to let down visitors with how crappy the Alamo is was a constant source of shame.

I don't remember the loving cenotaph at all.

Sir Tonk posted:

they should level all of downtown SA to recreate what it was like when the alamo fell, imo

that scrubland-looking bit outside of the glass walls in the mock-up is seriously the best-looking part

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
ohhhhh, that thing

thats over by the wax museum or something, isnt it

drove by it when i was in town a year or two ago

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/KPRC2/status/1036027260300615680

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

mastajake posted:

https://twitter.com/TrueFactsStated/status/1036048493834633216

Someone did, apparently!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

People should keep doing this and have the billboard give support to a bad write in conservative candidate. Every vote siphoned away from Cruz matters.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Isn’t Claude Taylor one of the crazy Louise Mensch people

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Badger of Basra posted:

Isn’t Claude Taylor one of the crazy Louise Mensch people

No clue, but there's also https://twitter.com/davidhogg111/status/1036054790562897921

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
lol it raised like $2,000 in the last 10 minutes

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/HoustonChron/status/1036061104647163905

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
"We dont hate anybody. We want every Muslim to come to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. We want every Muslim that comes to America to become an American and we want them to understand Sharia Law is a really bad idea. It hasnt worked any place its been tried and it wont work here, he said. We welcome anyone that comes here and wants to be an American. And today, we also want people to know we are grateful for our president, Donald Trump, for making America great again."

lmao

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Some "This Is Texas Freedom Force" in the right-wing crowd in Houston there too FYI

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdOjVsfuKPs&t=94s

The guy in banner photo of this story is also in the offender database: https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2018/03/06/even-road-texas-patriot-prayer-draws-extremists-its-free-speech-event

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 2, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

There are some things you need to do first but they are also easy and pretty cheap and listed in that first link.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Huffington Posts' top story today

How Beto Beats Ted

quote:

ut he also showed more knowledge of the concerns of Hispanic voters than many Democratic politicians, who often default to viewing Latino voters through the prism of immigration politics. His repeated statistic that the largest provider of mental health care services in the state of Texas is the county jail system also appeared to resonate in a state where nearly one-third of Latinos lack insurance.

He spoke glowingly of the region’s bilingual schools, where children learn in Spanish one day and English the next. He derided the Border Patrol checkpoints that impede some parents from taking their children to the hospital. And his repeated shout-outs to veterans drew cheers in a region where military service has long offered the surest path toward the middle class or a college education.

It was touches like those, more than his ethnicity, that connected with the crowd.

“Anyone who lives in the border, they’re going to get it — they’re going to understand our way of life,” said 31-year-old Sarah Tamez, who attended the McAllen event and cited O’Rourke’s support for expanding access to health care as her main reason for backing him. “It doesn’t matter if you’re Hispanic or happen to be Caucasian — you’re going to get this life. He comes from the border, he lived it, he embraced the culture. He understands us.”

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

loving Chronicle. Can't even read the article on a phone without your browser being jacked by their ads.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I object to the demolishing of the street thats supposed to run right in front of the alamo.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

None of these Texas State Militias or whatever have anything to do with the Texas National Guard, right? They're just groups of balding fat middle aged white gun nuts that are unaffiliated with any actual military unit, right?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Zwabu posted:

None of these Texas State Militias or whatever have anything to do with the Texas National Guard, right? They're just groups of balding fat middle aged white gun nuts that are unaffiliated with any actual military unit, right?

lol no, it's fascist larping for the over-40 crowd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

The walls apparently trace the original mission walls, but either way the main objection from the protesters seems to be moving the cenotaph, which has taken on mystical proportions.

How much would it cost to, say just rebuild the walls? Also I just see the whole war of 1835 and 1836 as a war between Criollos and Anglos over Comanchee territory. Neither side actually has any claim to goodness in that conflict.