Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

Shoot me some links
https://www.dorotheum.com/cz/aukce/...ky-17-stol.html

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Chillbro Baggins posted:

It's called gallows humor. Soldiers, firefighters, EMTs, and photojournalists deal with death in ways that seem callous to normal people.

That is a thing yes. If you face death from World War 1-era Germans on a daily basis then this would totally apply. Do you? Because joking about the deaths of people that have never threatened you or exposed you to harm in any way isn't that.

Edit: I do wonder how Americans itt would have reacted if it were some German guy popping up with his cool Kar98 and being all 'I'm sure this killed a lot of doughboys back in the day! :sun:'

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 1, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

feedmegin posted:

That is a thing yes. If you face death from World War 1-era Germans on a daily basis then this would totally apply. Do you? Because joking about the deaths of people that have never threatened you or exposed you to harm in any way isn't that.

It's extremely good to stab the Kaiser.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Laughing my rear end off over the kindermord. Lmao

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

The century-dead troop defender has logged on

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

once more over the top men I'm sure we'll take the moral high ground this time

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It doesn't really seem terribly likely that any particular bayonet has actually been used to stab anyone.

Wonder if that's true of melee weapons, also? There has to be way more pikes made than people killed by pikes.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

feedmegin posted:

Edit: I do wonder how Americans itt would have reacted if it were some German guy popping up with his cool Kar98 and being all 'I'm sure this killed a lot of doughboys back in the day! :sun:'

I'm okay with it op

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I just like guns

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fangz posted:

It doesn't really seem terribly likely that any particular bayonet has actually been used to stab anyone.

Wonder if that's true of melee weapons, also? There has to be way more pikes made than people killed by pikes.

I read that every 10th pike was tipped with a blank so that soldiers could have the benefit of the doubt that they didn't actually kill anyone.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ainsley McTree posted:

I read that every 10th pike was tipped with a blank so that soldiers could have the benefit of the doubt that they didn't actually kill anyone.

it'd be great if every other :o: post about dead troops was blank

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Semovente da 105/25

Queue: 7.92 mm wz. 35 anti-tank rifle, 76.2 mm wz. 1902 and 75 mm wz. 1902/26, IM-1 squeezebore cannon, 45 mm M-6 gun, 25-pounder, 25-pounder "Baby", 37 mm Anti-Tank Gun M3, 36 inch Little David mortar, 105 mm howitzer M3, 15 cm sIG 33, 10.5 cm leFH 18, 7.5 cm LG 40, 10.5 cm LG 42, 17 cm K i. Mrs. Laf., 47 mm wz.25 infantry gun, Ferdinand, Tiger (P), Scorpion, SKS, Australian Centurions in Vietnam, PzIII Ausf. E and F, PzIII Ausf. G and H, Trials of the PzIII Ausf. H in the USSR, PzIII Ausf.J-N, Russian Renault, Nashorn/Hornisse, Medium Tank M4A2E8, P.1000 and other work by Grotte, KV-100 and KV-122, Cruiser Tank Mk.I, Cruiser Tank Mk.II, Valentine III and V, Valentine IX, Valentine X and XI, 7TP and Vickers Mk.E trials in the USSR, Modern Polish tank projects, SD-100 (Czech SU-100 clone), TACAM R-2, kpúv vz. 34, kpúv vz. 37, kpúv vz. 38, IS-1 (IS-85), IS-2 (object 240), Production of the IS-2, IS-2 modernization projects, GMC M8, First Soviet assault rifles, Stahlhelm in WWI, Stahlhelm in WWII, SU-76 with big guns, Panther trials in the USSR, Western spherical tanks, S35 in German service

Available for request:

:ussr:
Schmeisser's work in the USSR
Object 237 (IS-1 prototype)
SU-85
T-29-5
KV-85
Tank sleds
T-80 (the light tank)
Proposed Soviet heavy tank destroyers
DS-39 tank machinegun
MS-1/T-18
Kalashnikov's debut works
SU-152 combat debut
MS-1 production
Kalashnikov-Petrov self-loading carbine
SU-76M (SU-15M) production
S-51
SU-76I
T-34 applique armour projects
T-26 with mine detection equipment

:britain:
Archer

:911:
Medium Tank M3 use in the USSR
HMC T82
57 mm gun M1
Medium Tank M4A4

:godwin:
Jagdpanzer IV
Grosstraktor
Gebirgskanone M 15
Maus development in 1943-44
German anti-tank rifles
Panzer IV/70
Czech anti-tank rifles in German service

:france:
Hotchkiss H 35 and H 39

:italy:
FIAT 3000
FIAT L6-40

:poland:
Experimental Polish tanks of the 1930s NEW

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Ainsley McTree posted:

Post-war research showed that only a fraction of the men ever thrusted their pike at the enemy with the intent to kill.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

It'll be interesting to see analyses of the Syrian Civil War/ISIL campaigns from a strategic perspective and how other ME countries react, certainly seems like it'll disrupt or at least better inform ideas of how "Arab armies" fight. Same goes for the war in Yemen i suppose.

On a different note, I recently reread Caesar's commentaries on the Gallic War, and I highly recommend it to anyone. It's fascinating how the top level strategic problems the Romans faced as occupiers mirror contemporary counter insurgency efforts. Of course, Caesar's solution to a seemingly intractable foreign quagmire is... unpalatable, let's say, for modern leaders

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Ensign Expendable posted:

Post-war research showed that only a fraction of the men ever thrusted their pike at the enemy with the intent to kill.
You joke, but that's literally a thing people believe.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Germanic states had some of the best and most advanced pikes of the period. They only lost due to overwhelming human wave attacks by Russians with cheap disposable clubs who didn’t care about lives lost.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Siivola posted:

You joke, but that's literally a thing people believe.

That fucker Lindybeige made a video about it and I have since then hated him.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

Germanic states had some of the best and most advanced pikes of the period. They only lost due to overwhelming human wave attacks by Russians with cheap disposable clubs who didn’t care about lives lost.

Krupp Wood was much tougher due to advanced German arboriculture techniques.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Kemper Boyd posted:

That fucker Lindybeige made a video about it and I have since then hated him.

What is the meaningful distinction there? Were they thrusting their pikes at people with the intent to...give them an all expenses paid vacation? Is the claim that they somehow were maintaining some idiotic cognitive dissonance about what happens to people in war, like an early modern clean wehrmacht?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

it'd be great if every other :o: post about dead troops was blank

That joke was gross and definitely made me uncomfortable, though it wasn't so bad as to have made me say anything if others hadn't first.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SlothfulCobra posted:

What is the meaningful distinction there? Were they thrusting their pikes at people with the intent to...give them an all expenses paid vacation? Is the claim that they somehow were maintaining some idiotic cognitive dissonance about what happens to people in war, like an early modern clean wehrmacht?

his thesis was that people do not stab with them. Instead they held them at "port arms" and pushed, like in rugby.

This is what British reenactors do for fun. He thought it was real.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cyrano4747 posted:

Lol no it isn’t. “They’re fun to shoot at paper and having a bunch of types for different uses is fun” is the shooter explanation “I find the different mechanics interesting” is the tech geek answer and “i find think he history behind them neat” is they history geek answer.

I've never had a gun and even I get #3

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

HEY GUNS posted:

his thesis was that people do not stab with them. Instead they held them at "port arms" and pushed, like in rugby.

This is what British reenactors do for fun. He thought it was real.

Yeah, and hoplites did the same thing too according to many people, including some historians. Maybe they used their sarissas for smores.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
As someone in favour of gun control, collecting guns as historical items is far more reasonable than 'so I can overthrow governments I don't like' or 'so I can defend my family from black p criminals'

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I just want to know some Thuringian peasant was killed by my collectibles.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

I just want to know some Thuringian peasant was killed by my collectibles.

There is really only one way to be sure...

:ese:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ChubbyChecker posted:

Yeah, and hoplites did the same thing too according to many people, including some historians. Maybe they used their sarissas for smores.

these spears are very big. they get bigger as time passes. but why, WHY

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Insecurity

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Alchenar posted:

It's worth noting that the Red Army (and Russian successor) made a conscious decision to reject Western-style Auftragstaktik. It works for them, but only because they've deliberately built an alternative.

Care to elaborate? I'm reading the wiki page on it but there's no mention of either russia, soviets or red army so I kinda want to know how/why they differed

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
You know, I never quite realized that the US Navy had mastered the art of the dual simultaneous erection.

https://i.imgur.com/iU9ezFb.mp4

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Are some of you seriously soapboxing about dead soldier jokes? good lord take a break and go outside or something

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I feel embarrassed that I collect milsurp rifles because after every single mass shooting I hear all the arguments about why guns need to be outright banned and I find myself agreeing with them all wholeheartedly. No half measures.

So it makes me a total hypocrite.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I feel embarrassed that I collect milsurp rifles because after every single mass shooting I hear all the arguments about why guns need to be outright banned and I find myself agreeing with them all wholeheartedly. No half measures.

So it makes me a total hypocrite.

I guess you could write it into your will that when you die all your guns get smelted down, or demilitarized and given to a museum or something?

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Was it even a joke, or just a morbid and creepy statement?

(Either way it wasn't funny at all.)

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

Regarding military effectiveness of Arab armies I would recommend Arabs at war even if it was written by a Neocon https://www.amazon.com/Arabs-War-Military-Effectiveness-1948-1991/dp/0803287836 . It was quite a while since I read it but it avoids general orientalism and points out that most of the arab armies described were good at the following:

- Logistics(Libya during the toyota war being especially impressive)
- The strategic planning was solid
- The individual soldiers were very brave

However the problem mostly arouse from the politicized officer corps which led to the following issues:

- Commanders in the field not being allowed to take initiatives of their own
- Bad tactical leadership
- Enlisted men and NCOs not being treated especially well
- Officers hoarding the technical expertise

In general the issues mostly stem from the countries being military dictatorships.

I would second this, the book is interesting.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

StandardVC10 posted:

I guess you could write it into your will that when you die all your guns get smelted down, or demilitarized and given to a museum or something?

Plug the barrels and give them to a museum, preferably for disassembled/exploded display

It's still important to be mindful that they're pieces of history. They're lethal weapons but even stuff like the SMLEs can be used to show the incremental process of procurement/development.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Hey there, milhist goons, yet another forums game that may be relevant to your interests: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3867567

Come join us in building Your Dream Army* and then bashing it against something else.

*army may not in fact be of dreamlike quality

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Care to elaborate? I'm reading the wiki page on it but there's no mention of either russia, soviets or red army so I kinda want to know how/why they differed

https://www.armyupress.army.mil/Portals/7/Hot%20Spots/Documents/Russia/2017-07-The-Russian-Way-of-War-Grau-Bartles.pdf

Read Bartles.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

HEY GUNS posted:

these spears are very big. they get bigger as time passes. but why, WHY

Speaking of spears, how important is good quality wood for the shaft? Can you make a spear shaft out of knotty or other b-grade wood? Or would they just shatter in combat? Was is something that peasant rebels and the like sometimes did, or did professional soldiers/warriors also sometimes use it? Were spear shafts made out of coppiced wood, or could you make them logs too? Did medieval and later Europeans have sauroters in their pikes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Wow that's thorough.