Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

tango alpha delta posted:

You are not only wrong about half-life but about "kinema" as well. It's simply an alternate spelling of cinema that was used in the mid 20th century by the UK and Germany.

His Half Life opinions are garbo but he's not wrong about the origins of the word. 'Cinema' or 'Cinematograph' originates from 'Kinematograph'....'Kinema' meaning movement and implying motion-picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

His Half Life opinions are garbo but he's not wrong about the origins of the word. 'Cinema' or 'Cinematograph' originates from 'Kinematograph'....'Kinema' meaning movement and implying motion-picture.

No, I was mistaken, the word kinema is indeed an ignorant misspeling of cinema by stupid Germans who have since invented an explanation about ancient Greek origins or something (whoever has heard about "Greece"? That should have tipped me off)

Anyway, the point stands, Half Life is a treason against games except for the intense trolley and Xen sections.

Good Gamers always admit their mistakes - Gamer sign off!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

steinrokkan posted:

Anyway, the point stands, Half Life is a treason against games except for the intense trolley and Xen sections.

Truly the most unpopular videogame opinion. :gay:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

sebmojo posted:

I modded the guards to be less hitscan terminator and tweaked the jumping and it was decent. Have they done Xen yet?

What pissed me off was how the tentacle AI was broken and the ichty didn't have his trademark roar, especially the latter problem. Like, how can you gently caress up the scariest part of the game like that?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

steinrokkan posted:

No, I was mistaken, the word kinema is indeed an ignorant misspeling of cinema by stupid Germans who have since invented an explanation about ancient Greek origins or something (whoever has heard about "Greece"? That should have tipped me off)

Good Gamers always admit their mistakes - Gamer sign off!

Fist bump, GameFriend!!

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

food court bailiff posted:

the fact that the xbox one still exists and apparently occasionally sells a console despite the astoundingly unacceptable hardware failure rate of the 360 and the crib death of hd-dvd is proof positive of how loving stupid ~gamers~ are

I got an Xbox one because I hate the PlayStation 4 controller.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I love my piss4 but the controller is indeed poo poo-tier.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

The Dennis System posted:

I got an Xbox one because I hate the PlayStation 4 controller.

You can always get a 3rd party controller that's more to your liking. Meanwhile you are missing out on a shitload of great exclusives :(

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Doflamingo posted:

You can always get a 3rd party controller that's more to your liking. Meanwhile you are missing out on a shitload of great exclusives :(

Yeah, I eventually caved and got a PS4 because I didn't want to miss out on games like Bloodborne. I waste a lot of money on video game stuff. Oh well.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
Sonic 2,3, and sonic and knuckles don't punish you too heavily for running as fast as possible, that's only an issue with sonic 1.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Humblebundle get shittier by the year.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Ocean Book posted:

Sonic 2,3, and sonic and knuckles don't punish you too heavily for running as fast as possible, that's only an issue with sonic 1.

i am pretty sure this guy only played sonic 2,3,&k as rentals or something lol. it's nowhere near as bad as sonic 1 yeah but you still can't just blaze through the later levels.

sonic 2 has a super deep pit you can fall in if you're going too fast. not a bottomless pit, there are spikes at the bottom, and it's narrow enough that if you go in with >50 rings you basically have to start dodging them the second or third time you take damage to finally let yourself die.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Bajaj posted:

By the month. It's amazing how fast Humble managed to devolve into utter shovelware.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't remember the last time I looked at their site and saw anything remotely interesting. Just shilling for their pointless subscription.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
If you just purchase their monthly pack as a one time gift so they don't charge you every month then sometimes you can get some good game deals that way.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
It's just random. Sometime it's all trash, sometimes lots of good games in one. I think it's just more obvious because they seemingly have been more aggressively advertising, whereas before good bundles only came onto my radar via word of mouth.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bajaj posted:

Serephina posted:

By the month. It's amazing how fast Humble managed to devolve into utter shovelware.

Duh. They got bought out by some big AAA publisher or something.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Kromlech posted:

use map settings custom games in starcraft were the peak of all gaming

Best post in the thread

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

i am pretty sure this guy only played sonic 2,3,&k as rentals or something lol. it's nowhere near as bad as sonic 1 yeah but you still can't just blaze through the later levels.

sonic 2 has a super deep pit you can fall in if you're going too fast. not a bottomless pit, there are spikes at the bottom, and it's narrow enough that if you go in with >50 rings you basically have to start dodging them the second or third time you take damage to finally let yourself die.

im playing them on my gameboy to and from work for the last two weeks plus owned them as kids. mostly in the later sonics you hit a bumper or fall downwards and end up backtracking but arent killed. there definitely are places where there are deathtraps, especially in later levels (which I think is fair).

all im saying is they are far better than sonic 1 in this regard and dont deserve the same reputation. ive been finding sonic 1 unfun and the other ones very fun for specifically this reason.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Diqnol posted:

Best post in the thread

I enjoyed a good round of Cerebrates and Mutie defense myself.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bajaj posted:

As bad as Humble gets (and at this point I get more value out of their book bundles and even those aren't great anymore), the other indie game bundlers are a dozen times worse. Every few months I might get some games in a Humble Bundle, the others are just complete and utter shitpiles.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

As bad as Humble gets (and at this point I get more value out of their book bundles and even those aren't great anymore), the other indie game bundlers are a dozen times worse. Every few months I might get some games in a Humble Bundle, the others are just complete and utter shitpiles.

I've gotten some extremely good deals with other bundlers, like a shitload of EU4 expansions that normally cost $5-$20 for $1 each. These things are always YMMV, there won't always be good bundles like the Total Warhammer humblemonthly

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What are some other bundle sites that are somewhat worthwhile

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fanatical has super cheap bundles of old 6/10 games that are worth keeping an eye on for the occasional rough gem

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Diqnol posted:

Best post in the thread

Use map settings games were my wonderful gateway to the world of griefing

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

i remember playing that cerebrates sc map. it was like the original moba

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Turret Defense, Stacked Cannon Defense, Lurker Defense, Bunker Defense.

Simpsons Madness/ Super Smash Brothers W/ Mass attack.

Special Forces/Starship Troopers.

There was some amazing poo poo in there, it's no wonder a lot of that stuff's still going in some form on Starcraft 2's arcade stuff.

Also 7v1 BGH comp stomps were amazing. A solid 80% of them turned into a defacto game of werewolf, trying to find the person who unchecked 'Allied Victory'.

Good times, good times.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
All Castlevania games before SotN were bad, even the stiff SNES one. The Genesis/PC-Engine one gets a pass, but every other title is not worth playing.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Rondo of Blood is clearly the best one

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Sardonik posted:

Also 7v1 BGH comp stomps were amazing. A solid 80% of them turned into a defacto game of werewolf, trying to find the person who unchecked 'Allied Victory'.

Good times, good times.

I never understood the point of these or why they were so popular.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Sardonik posted:

Turret Defense, Stacked Cannon Defense, Lurker Defense, Bunker Defense.

Simpsons Madness/ Super Smash Brothers W/ Mass attack.

Special Forces/Starship Troopers.

There was some amazing poo poo in there, it's no wonder a lot of that stuff's still going in some form on Starcraft 2's arcade stuff.

Good times, good times.

Me and my mate used to have great fun playing 2v2 matches but on opposing sides and then switching our allegiances at (in)opportune moments

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
saint row 2 is the only good saint row game.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

DoctorGonzo posted:

saint row 2 is the only good saint row game.

Not saying much

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the implementation of teleport spells in divinity: original sin 2 is stupid and lazy

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

poverty goat posted:

the implementation of teleport spells in divinity: original sin 2 is stupid and lazy

please, continue

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

saints row 2 is legit good and balanced well the more wacky aspects with the gangster story IMO

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Halser posted:

please, continue

the strongest party composition is any 4 assholes with aerothurge 2, and they can cheese their way through most of the game by teleporting poo poo around, because teleport is the most powerful single spell in the game and the only one that works through magic armor

this is poo poo, and probably a lazy fix for the fact that magic armor makes all the other CC useless most of the time when it would be helpful

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 3, 2018

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Dross posted:

Face value reason: To pad your win stat with an easy win.

fridge corn posted:

Me and my mate used to have great fun playing 2v2 matches but on opposing sides and then switching our allegiances at (in)opportune moments

Actual reason: This.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

DoctorGonzo posted:

saints row 2 is legit good and balanced well the more wacky aspects with the gangster story IMO

sr2 is the best saints row and the best GTA of its generation, if you can forgive the lovely pc port

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dross posted:

Well, because it was recorded on your profile as a win. People just wanted cheap wins on their record and for who knows what reason that would count. Why 7v1 and not just like, 3v1? Because it you didn't have to change maps (a lot of people just played BGH day in, day out) and it eliminated any question of where the computer was, so you could rush them the fastest.

Yeah it was really stupid. My brother has long been a notorious troll in every game he's played and he had a field day with these. He would always join them and un-check allied victory, then feign ignorance. He made it his goal to end the match with any many players eliminated as possible.