Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

I work in the same directory as those guys. It is supposed to be the foreign military studies office but all they study is Russia which doesn't do me a hell of a lot of good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

No half measures.
this is a thing people who are really into politics say that turns out to have very little application in the real world, which is indefinitely complicated and in which there are rarely any clear cut moral choices

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ChubbyChecker posted:

Speaking of spears, how important is good quality wood for the shaft? Can you make a spear shaft out of knotty or other b-grade wood? Or would they just shatter in combat? Was is something that peasant rebels and the like sometimes did, or did professional soldiers/warriors also sometimes use it? Were spear shafts made out of coppiced wood, or could you make them logs too? Did medieval and later Europeans have sauroters in their pikes?

the kind of wood is the important part. ash is good. i know a group that got pine pikes for something like ten euros a piece but they felt lovely to fight with and they always snapped. i've seen knots in pikes and they seem fine.

there are no butt spikes in pikes. no counterbalance like in the sarissa either, which is why the first thing you have to learn when levelling it at an enemy is that you're not holding it up, you're grabbing the butt and pushing it down as hard as you can. that off hand is cupped firmly around the butt so if you smack into the dude behind you, it's your hand and not a wooden shaft that hits him in the chin

i know almost nothing about how to cultivate wood so i can't answer the other question

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 2, 2018

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I feel embarrassed that I collect milsurp rifles because after every single mass shooting I hear all the arguments about why guns need to be outright banned and I find myself agreeing with them all wholeheartedly. No half measures.

So it makes me a total hypocrite.

Eh, even if we manage to get a full-on ban on private ownership, there'll still be a place for weapons at museums, and you can go donate all of them. So long as your money isn't going to the NRA, you're not actively harming anything, and you're not the only gun owner that supports gun control.

It's not so much passive gun ownership itself that causes the problem as it is the nuts who push for no restrictions, barriers, or databases on ownership or carrying while nudging and winking to eachother about maybe someday using their weapons in some kind of insurrection.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Most museums don’t want them. They don’t have room to diss play what they have now frequently and unless you have Patton’s personal rifle they don’t really care. A lot of ACW guns rusted away when big collections got donated by collectors widows in the sixties and seventies.

If you want to ethically dispose of antique firearms without feeling like you’re destroying history museums really aren’t a cure all.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you want to ethically dispose of antique firearms without feeling like you’re destroying history museums really aren’t a cure all.
yeah my two shots a minute is really a threat to ethics in the united states

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well then it's the museums deciding whether or not to destroy them and it's not your problem because it's in the hands of academics.

Personally, I get that feeling like I'm destroying history when I'm just sending old electronics off to get recycled, and they're not even murder weapons.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

HEY GUNS posted:

off hand is cupped firmly around the butt

Still very important today when preparing to deliver a good piking :haw:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

HEY GUNS posted:

the kind of wood is the important part. ash is good. i know a group that got pine pikes for something like ten euros a piece but they felt lovely to fight with and they always snapped. i've seen knots in pikes and they seem fine.

there are no butt spikes in pikes. no counterbalance like in the sarissa either, which is why the first thing you have to learn when levelling it at an enemy is that you're not holding it up, you're grabbing the butt and pushing it down as hard as you can. that off hand is cupped firmly around the butt so if you smack into the dude behind you, it's your hand and not a wooden shaft that hits him in the chin

i know almost nothing about how to cultivate wood so i can't answer the other question

I think that it was you who posted something about one of the Imperial warlords having his own forests for the pike shafts. I think that there was some gardening involved?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

aphid_licker posted:

Still very important today when preparing to deliver a good piking :haw:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Military History Mk. IV: A Good Piking

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

feedmegin posted:

Edit: I do wonder how Americans itt would have reacted if it were some German guy popping up with his cool Kar98 and being all 'I'm sure this killed a lot of doughboys back in the day! :sun:'
If it was said like that, then it wouldn't be funny. If they said, "I poked some doughboys in the tummy with this and they went, 'hee hee!' before their biscuit mix came out." then I would laugh.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well then it's the museums deciding whether or not to destroy them and it's not your problem because it's in the hands of academics.

Personally, I get that feeling like I'm destroying history when I'm just sending old electronics off to get recycled, and they're not even murder weapons.

It's not even an affirmative decision made by them the vast majority of the time, it's just poo poo falling into garbage through neglect and poor storage.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
DO NOT BE MISLED

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

HEY GUNS posted:

DO NOT BE MISLED

Huh, is that really true? That wartime books used thinner paper?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Incidentally, have there been big changes in the paper used in journals and poo poo over the past few decades? Maybe not always, but I've noticed a few times when I look at a collection from like the 1960s to the present day, after the 90s-2000s or so the books get significantly thinner. It can't be because there's less scholarship done, I think anyway, I know Korean studies at least has gotten an absolute shitload more attention. Is there less published in journals? Or more stringent word count requirements or something?

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Fangz posted:

Smaller type, surely?

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Fangz posted:

Probably less an aspect of paper weight than of condensed margins, smaller type, less line spacing, etc. The types and qualities of paper available back then was much wider, but lower quality paper is not necessarily thinner, and the thinner your paper the more print errors you would incur.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

They printed them on cheaper paper, too. AFAIK books printed during the war are starting to fall apart while copies from the 1890s-1939 are doing ok.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Wasn’t Lord of the Rings only released in three volumes because Britain was still rationing paper even that long after the war?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Military History Mk. III: that off hand is cupped firmly around the butt, surely.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Probably less an aspect of paper weight than of condensed margins, smaller type, less line spacing, etc. The types and qualities of paper available back then was much wider, but lower quality paper is not necessarily thinner, and the thinner your paper the more print errors you would incur.

I've handled thousands of wartime editions. The difference really is the paper - not only is it thinner, it is somehow less dense. A wartime edition will weigh half as much as a prewar book of the same thickness.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's not even an affirmative decision made by them the vast majority of the time, it's just poo poo falling into garbage through neglect and poor storage.

An actual machine gun that Alvin York captured in the action that won a Medal of Honor and the Legion of Honor was discovered in a closet in a library in Massachusetts. The weapon had never been registered, and the registry is closed; it is not possible to register a machine gun anymore. So it was illegal for the library to have it, illegal for anyone to own it, and illegal to transfer ownership of it. One legal outcome would have been to destroy the gun in the ATF-approved manner: take a cutting torch to the right sideplate of the receiver.

Fortunately sanity prevailed and they arranged to transfer it to the local police department, which could possess it, and the police department turned around and leased it to the museum.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 3, 2018

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
I'm failing at Google: What the hell is a Machine Gun Artillery Division/Regiment?

My mind instantly goes to a scaled up automatic grenade launcher but 1) that is obviously not it and 2) surely one would not field them in division sized elements.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

National Museum of Brazil in Rio de Janeiro is burning: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-45392668

Such a huge loss...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ChubbyChecker posted:

National Museum of Brazil in Rio de Janeiro is burning: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-45392668

Such a huge loss...

drat man.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wow that's thorough.

I think Les V. Grau is a known expert on Soviet military and thus Russians.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Loezi posted:

I'm failing at Google: What the hell is a Machine Gun Artillery Division/Regiment?

My mind instantly goes to a scaled up automatic grenade launcher but 1) that is obviously not it and 2) surely one would not field them in division sized elements.

Context?

During WWI and interwar period, MG doctrine included using them in indirect role. I haven't heard of organizations called that, however.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Nenonen posted:

Context?

During WWI and interwar period, MG doctrine included using them in indirect role. I haven't heard of organizations called that, however.

It's a Soviet designation stemming to (just after?) WW2, but Russia reactivated one a few years back and has it stationed near the Kuriles so apparently the name still means something :shrug:.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/18th_Machine_Gun_Artillery_Division
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/126th_Machine_Gun_Artillery_Division
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/127th_Machine_Gun_Artillery_Division

Loezi fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Sep 3, 2018

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Loezi posted:

Quora (yeah I know) has this: https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-differences-between-Fortified-Regions-and-Machine-gun-Artillery-units-in-Soviet-Army

"Machine Gun Artillery Units subordinate to a Machine Gun Division had organic transport (trucks), those in a fortified region didn’t."

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

So "Machine" is an adjective of "Gun Artillery Unit" indicating that the unit is mechanized, not that it is an artillery unit of machine guns?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Loezi posted:

They were economy-of-force units stripped of rifle strength to free up riflemen for units on the offensive- hencing being stripped down to machine guns and artillery for defensive purposes.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Geisladisk posted:

So "Machine" is an adjective of "Gun Artillery Unit" indicating that the unit is mechanized, not that it is an artillery unit of machine guns?

No. It's actually more "Machine-Gun & Artillery division". It's an unit made up chiefly of machine guns and field guns, designed to garrison static parts of the line without using a lot of manpower, allowing more mobile and more offensive forces to be concentrated elsewhere.

https://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=53&art_id=3250

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Geisladisk posted:

No, I don't think so. The Russian word they use is not 'mashina', ie. a car, but 'pulemot' which means a machine gun.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Fangz posted:

No. It's actually more "Machine-Gun & Artillery division". It's an unit made up chiefly of machine guns and field guns, designed to garrison static parts of the line without using a lot of manpower, allowing more mobile and more offensive forces to be concentrated elsewhere.

https://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=53&art_id=3250

Thanks. Platoons of 8-13 men sounds pretty insane, considering you'd still need to have people doing guard duty, digging positions, acting as runners etc.

Also makes me wonder what the modern version of this looks like. A bunch of dudes carrying PKMs and a ton of man portable AT, or maybe just a separate brigade with division's worth of heavy weapons attached to it?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I feel embarrassed that I collect milsurp rifles because after every single mass shooting I hear all the arguments about why guns need to be outright banned and I find myself agreeing with them all wholeheartedly. No half measures.

So it makes me a total hypocrite.

:same:

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

ChubbyChecker posted:

Such a huge loss...

Yeah, and all because some idiots wanted to shave a fraction of a percent off the budget. There goes one of the largest and oldest anthropological collections in the western hemisphere, the Pedro I collection, and more than two hundred years of research.

According to Brazilian twitter they also lost the largest collection of Egyptian artifacts outside of Egypt, and a massive Greco-Roman collection, including these Roman Fresco's from Pompeii.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Shameful.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

It's a drat sad day for humanity. But hey, at least money was saved guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am sure that in the short and long run the destruction of a internationally recognized museum will make Brazil a better and richer place.