Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

The dwarfiest possible way that could still be considered marginally 'safe' is basically tunneling out an area directly under the river to be the cistern, then collapsing a ground tile from above to puncture through the river bed into the cistern. This may or may not require pumping up magma to create a suspended ground tile.

Otherwise, yeah, just build an access tunnel to the cistern that will get water from the river and only open it up to the river by channeling the last tile from above. You can put a lever-controlled floodgate or three in that tunnel to stop the water flow if you want to have the cistern lower than the river without worrying about pressure causing shenanigans.

This is indeed the dwarfiest thing ever.

"How do I fill up a hole with water from the river"

"Well, step 1 is to pump magma from the center of the earth up to the surface..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

they export terror and import retribution

surely you can serve this emerging market

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

scamtank posted:

they export terror and import retribution

surely you can serve this emerging market

Time to start a beak dog industry :black101:

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
I Did it. 4 forts in same world, 6 years of war.. and goblin Civilizations have ceased.

Now, the elves...

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Telsa Cola posted:

Yeah just dropping a shaft and a single diag passage will do it. You dont need to be all fancy

If you're obsessive and worried about something swimming in (it is *possible* with megabeasts) I also usually throw a drawbridge somewhere in the shaft and put the lever by the well.

If you want to be fancy you throw a pressure plate somewhere near the top of the cistern and link that to the drawbridge such that when it is 1 or 0 water then the bridge opens and more water comes in. Thus the shaft is sealed all other times.

Floodgates can be smashed open.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
Just carve diagonal fortifications, reduces water pressure and prevent things squeezing through or being pushed through by water, as they don't like to do that via diagonal movement iirc.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Playing Warlock fort in .40 (c'mon meph put them in the 2014 version already!) I have a set up where anything I can't butcher is tossed into a hole outside of the tower, and I have a floodgate to let a monolith have line of sight to revive whatever can be revived. I got ambushed by elves

Somehow they managed to go through the fortifications that protected my monolith. Somehow some corpses ended up in there as well. Every time an elf struck down an undead, the monolith would just revive it. Yeah, that blood is all elf blood

They start to flee the hole as they start dying off and being turned into undead (drat, my souls!)

So here is a picture of my warlocks chasing down the escapees as their fallen friends turn into the undead.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

helloworld has infested dwarf fortress development

quote:

Around this time last year, on the August 10th dev log from 2017, I mentioned seeing the weather report with the Smoke icon, instead of Sunny or Partially Cloudy or whatever we'd expect this time of year. Up until a few days ago, we had that for an entire week, and it was awful. Hauling more furniture, then laying down for hours with an acrid tongue short of breath, unable to open windows to cool the room down. Visiting Grandma in the temporary care facility for her 95th birthday; she broke her hip picking blackberries last week but should make a full recovery. So, I wasn't prepared for this and didn't get a lot of work done; I delayed the dev log in hopes of having one good day, but it didn't happen. The efforts will continue, and I shall endeavor to toughen up for what is apparently our new August reality for next year, though I'm not sure how to practice for this one.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Ambi posted:

Just carve diagonal fortifications, reduces water pressure and prevent things squeezing through or being pushed through by water, as they don't like to do that via diagonal movement iirc.

Dwarf physics remains wild :allears:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

helloworld has infested dwarf fortress development

Dwarf Fortress 2017: hopes of having one good day, but it didn't happen

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

:thunk:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Thats someone who was forced to go to bible school too much.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

What?! There's not even fossils!

Toady put in fossil records

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Siljmonster posted:

What?! There's not even fossils!

Toady put in fossil records

Im pretty sure theres limestone :smug:

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hihohe posted:

Im pretty sure theres limestone :smug:

I've encountered petrified wood

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
Complex life is implicitly created by the gods at the dawn of time. It's why you get sedimentary layers (plankton and algae), but no oil or natural gas.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

How Disgusting posted:

Complex life is implicitly created by the gods at the dawn of time. It's why you get sedimentary layers (plankton and algae), but no oil or natural gas.

:psyboom:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Archaeologists dont really deal with fossils, thats paleontology.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

How Disgusting posted:

Are there any mods that add oil and gas deposits where appropriate?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

It's more common than you might think.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

That's... not the example I was expecting. Cool, though!

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Is it still possible to have dwarfy fun with a low population cap? I prefer the idea of getting to know my dwarves and world with a smaller, long running fortress than having a hundred faceless dwarves that clog up my FPS.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Yep, I normally go for 50-100 and plenty of things still go wrong.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
While you'll see less of invasions and nobility nonsense, and you miss out on some of the fun shenanigans of tavern brawls and such, you might be surprised the amount of nonsense that even a 10 to 20 dwarf microfort can get up to if you want to try that. Had one not too long ago where I ended up with a one-handed legendary smith who routinely destroyed all the anomalous cavern critters who kept phasing through the walls into the fort on their way to and from their magma area.

Took me forever to figure out that their skeletonized missing hand was lying in the chapel, in the calm, peaceful area of the fort, for some reason. Never quite got the full story on that one. They never even went to the doctor for it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

somepartsareme posted:

Is it still possible to have dwarfy fun with a low population cap? I prefer the idea of getting to know my dwarves and world with a smaller, long running fortress than having a hundred faceless dwarves that clog up my FPS.

You can modify the raws so that goblins and megabeasts will invade earlier and in the worldgen parameters you can make Titans the same way. I don't know about necromancers but I feel like they show up no matter how many people you have. I like smaller fortresses because I can get attached to 20 some dwarves more than I can 100+.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Maarak posted:

Are there any mods that add oil and gas deposits where appropriate?

Now I'm wondering if there are any DF mods that add this, as well as steampunk technology like oil/gas pumps, refining, power gen and consumers. Why, yes, I want modded Minecraft in my Dwarf Fortress, thank you. Think Immersive Engineering style stuff.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I don't think we have access to making entirely new fluid types in the raws, and you could maybe get the gas by making a mineral deposit that has a boiling temperature below ambient, but it'd only turn into gas when the tile gets mined and there's no way for dwarves to interact with gasses, really, other than breathing them in and acquiring syndromes

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

somepartsareme posted:

I have a dwarfier solution: put your cap super high and after you have the dwarwes you need pump cheap leather/copper poo poo militia gear to immigrants and Send them to annexation missions on goblin towns. Endless dwarwen invaders!

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Zereth posted:

I don't think we have access to making entirely new fluid types in the raws, and you could maybe get the gas by making a mineral deposit that has a boiling temperature below ambient, but it'd only turn into gas when the tile gets mined and there's no way for dwarves to interact with gasses, really, other than breathing them in and acquiring syndromes

Could probably add firedamp choking dwarfs easily enough if you really want to make their lives harder.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

... I just got a God cast a curse on my animal trainer in fortress mode. Instant vampire. He tantrumed a statue in the fortress temple.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
What happens to invaders if they topple statues?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

somepartsareme posted:

I play 20 or 40 dwarf forts all the time. Some day I'm going to actually get around to writing a guide, because for best results you want to make some raw edits so that certain events trigger at lower thresholds, but in the mean time feel free to ask me anything.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I play 20 or 40 dwarf forts all the time. Some day I'm going to actually get around to writing a guide, because for best results you want to make some raw edits so that certain events trigger at lower thresholds, but in the mean time feel free to ask me anything.

You might as well write up a big effort post about it now, because i would like to also learn how to stave off fps death as long as possible and that'll go a long way towards helping.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

You might as well write up a big effort post about it now, because i would like to also learn how to stave off fps death as long as possible and that'll go a long way towards helping.

Turns out I've written about it before. :v:

Since I'm lazy as hell, here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3616403&userid=112546&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post483151082

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
Small, optimized forts are the best. The lag allwinter still comes eventually, but it's more manageable. I've found population caps are more than semi-useful for making bridgeheads and vanguards at the goblin civ's front door, after there's nothing else to do in the main fort.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Am I the only one that parsed this as "I play 20 to 40 forts at a time"?

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Pharnakes posted:

What happens to invaders if they topple statues?

No idea, id guess the same thing?

Gonna make a temple outside and see when next elf Army arrives

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

iirc invaders (that are building destroyers) and even megabeasts/forgotten beasts can get cursed now, there were some threads about it on the DF forums but I've not tried it in-game yet

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Because only thing better then a bronze colossus is a vampire-weregopher bronze colossus.

My vampire is loving useless. The tantrum that caused his curse netted him a beating + 104 days of prison. Guards nonchalantly beat the daylights off his vampire rear end, and after he got off the jail he now has a permanent spine problem. So instead of my hoped immortal archivist/librarian/bookkeeper/manager I got immortal cripple that moans at the floor of his office and doesn’t even bother to manage work orders. well, I gave him
a little house, with a small temple and library and next to his desk is a masterpiece golden statue of Asen the Tin of Golds, the god that cursed him to eternity of back pains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Sometimes, I wish DF didn't require so much micromanaging so I could just let it run in the background while I'm doing things and let the stories accumulate. Maybe I should just make a checklist of all of the important poo poo to do in order and work from there.