Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Seems like witchcraft is more suited to a tumblr/mental illness mock thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Although don't a lot of pagan types nowadays turn out to be crypto-Nazis?

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
stop witch genocide

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's a
Nice day for a
White witching

It's a
Nice day to
HEX AGAIN!!!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Where all the white witches at?!?

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
dig through the ditches
and burn through the witches
I slam in the back of my
LATIN-X

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
lol wicca is absolutely white but not because of pagan history, because it was invented by an old white dude as an excuse for his fetish of outdoor loving in forests

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
This is J.K. Rowling's fault

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Imagine the Puritans getting to see their shining city morph into modern America

Lol owned

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Badger of Basra posted:

and all the hispanic people who use it were just conned by white people or what

the only latinos I've met who use it are upper middle class ultrawokes who much like myself didn't grow up speaking Spanish or around other Latinos in general

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, the liberal bougioise uses latinx, which is why you shouldn't, is what I'm saying

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I'm told by my woke Spanish speaking friends that the term actual Spanish speakers prefer is Latine

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
it's such a useless loving word- "latin" is already an anglicised form of latino or latina that does away with the gender connotation. it literally exists for no other reason than to show that you're woke.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 222 days!

frankenfreak posted:

Where all the white witches at?!?

Love my ninjas, but where are my witches?

(Still one of the best thread titles).

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheCombatNurse/status/1036188472057376768?s=19

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

fool_of_sound posted:

I'm told by my woke Spanish speaking friends that the term actual Spanish speakers prefer is Latine

I (half-Mexicano) explained that it would make more sense in Spanish to use an e or another vowel to make it gender neutral and was told that it was wrong and worse than an X because “e” implies plural in Italian

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

latinx is dumb because it was invented by blog posters in the 2000s who never had to say it out loud

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NEERA!!!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the bitcoin of weed posted:

latinx is dumb because it was invented by blog posters in the 2000s who never had to say it out loud

X isn't even a sound that comes up in Spanish outside of Mesoamerican names

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Coohoolin posted:

it's such a useless loving word- "latin" is already an anglicised form of latino or latina that does away with the gender connotation. it literally exists for no other reason than to show that you're woke.

telling Hispanics to just speak English: extremely good

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

also, true left radicalism is...monarchism?

https://twitter.com/einbert1986/status/1036308700456087552?s=21

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

"Kingdom of Hawaii" is just a proper noun for the last iteration of Hawaii as an independent nation, not a literal call for a return to monarchism.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Badger of Basra posted:

telling Hispanics to just speak English: extremely good

Right because Spanish speakers are going around saying latinx in Spanish

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Chillgamesh posted:

I (half-Mexicano) explained that it would make more sense in Spanish to use an e or another vowel to make it gender neutral and was told that it was wrong and worse than an X because “e” implies plural in Italian

Only in some words - feminine plural of words ending in "-a", specifically, which includes "latina". In other words, "-e" is singular, with an "-i" plural. "-a" is singular, but not necessarily feminine or masculine (if masculine, it will pluralize to "-i", if feminine to "-e"). "-o", on the other hand and as far as I know, is always masculine singular (plural "-i"). "-u" is rare, can be either masculine or feminine, and always pluralizes to "-u". Almost all of these rules come straight from Latin declensions: feminine "-a/-e" from the first declension, masculine "-o/-i" from the second, "-e/-i" from the third, with the singular form modeled on the ablative case and the plural form on the nominative (or possibly both on the vocative? I don't remember)

Basically stop making poo poo up

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Larry Parrish posted:

X isn't even a sound that comes up in Spanish outside of Mesoamerican names

Tell every Spaniard with a name starting with x this lol

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I've never heard anyone actually use the term latinx in spoken conversation, but I've had people do the a/o thing tho. Just using the e at the end would be pretty good!!!

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

latinx is just an arm of spacex anyway

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Byolante posted:

Tell every Spaniard with a name starting with x this lol

You're kidding, right

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Coohoolin posted:

Right because Spanish speakers are going around saying latinx in Spanish

they do yeah but this conversation isn’t really about them.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

chapo had someone on who said latinx outloud

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~

hackbunny posted:

"-o", on the other hand and as far as I know, is always masculine singular (plural "-i"). "-u" is rare, can be either masculine or feminine, and always pluralizes to "-u".

ah there we solved it. Latinu's

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

hackbunny posted:

Basically stop making poo poo up

Eh? I really had a white friend tell me that. It might have been about I instead of E but their basic argument was that “x” is gender neutral across all Romance languages therefore using an E/I in Spanish was bad. I’m not just making this up for CSPAM cred my fellow goon.

Chillgamesh has issued a correction as of 00:49 on Sep 3, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

they do yeah but this conversation isn’t really about them.

Talvez em espanhol, mas não em português.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/dpjhodges/status/1036155817400168448?s=21

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

Eh? I really had a white friend tell me that. It might have been about I instead of E but their basic argument was that “x” is gender neutral across all Romance languages therefore using an E/I in Spanish was bad. I’m not just making this up for CSPAM cred my fellow goon.

Peace, no personal attack intended. Just doing my part as a hopefully non-parochial Italian

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Spanish and Italian are the same language

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
https://twitter.com/Serafina2112/status/1035909810833608704?s=19

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I was introduced to latinx and latin@ by Spanish-speaking Hispanic Americans who preferred using that in English contexts over the more technically grammatically correct but gendered “latinos” :shrug:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I want to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Spanish and Italian are the same language

all of them are the degenerate offspring of roman imperialism and should be opposed on every front