Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

I'm not even sure which side I'd (USSR) join in that. King Carol II deciding to actually do poo poo is... a new one on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1499357043

I ask myself why I made this, and cannot answer.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It feels weird to me how Hungary and Romania have all these hyper-aggressive DLC focuses but even with historical decisions turned off they rarely go down them. Therefore it always catches me off-guard every time when say Hungary forms an alliance with Austria and Italy before I even get to Anschluss.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
It happens a lot more often if Italy is unable to take Ethiopia.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Dreissi posted:

So, people got talking about Kaiserreich again and I decided to give it another shot. Does anyone know if Canada is hard-coded to attack the Combined Syndicates when they defeat the US federal government?

They're not actually hard coded to do so, but the way the mechanics work, they might as well be.

Canada gets a decision that lets them immediately declare war on the CSA if they're winning CW2. CSA almost always clowns on the federal government and the fascists, so Canada almost always takes that decision.

chairface posted:

The Alt-Histories this game creates.

It's 1938 and Greece, Romania, Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia have signed mutual guarantees of independence. :catstare:

If you have historical focuses off, Romania has a chance to go completely insane and just sign pacts with the entire planet. It can lead to Cordon Sanitaire faction but I've only seen that happen like once.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 1, 2018

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The New Order US congress mechanic is legit extremely impressive. Kudos for Paradox adding gui modding, it really opens up pandora's box

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Fuligin posted:

The New Order US congress mechanic is legit extremely impressive. Kudos for Paradox adding gui modding, it really opens up pandora's box

I'm watching that video now and they've got a lot of crazy stuff going on. Plus the idea of playing your country as partisans and rebels within it so your focuses actually make you weaker is brilliant.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Why does my army refuse to use Strategic Redeployment, even though I repeatedly press the button? Googling it says battle plans override it, but I just want them to get to the frontline quick to plug a hole. If they walk all the way across the Soviet Union, it takes months. Just use the trains, goddamnit.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Mantis42 posted:

Why does my army refuse to use Strategic Redeployment, even though I repeatedly press the button? Googling it says battle plans override it, but I just want them to get to the frontline quick to plug a hole. If they walk all the way across the Soviet Union, it takes months. Just use the trains, goddamnit.

You can't strategically redeploy into a province a battle is taking place in. If that's the issue, just redeploy a province away and walk the rest.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Even if I delete all the associated battle plans and have them move to a province away from the frontline, they refuse to use the strategic redeployment.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Mantis42 posted:

Even if I delete all the associated battle plans and have them move to a province away from the frontline, they refuse to use the strategic redeployment.

Yeah, sometimes the AI will just ignore what you tell it and override it. It's a feature, not a bug.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I swear, every time I play KR the faction I’m gonna join is run by dumbasses. Play as a syndie? France declares war on Germany when its troops aren’t on the border and runs out of infantry equipment a month in. Play as a democracy or natpop? The revolution is everywhere and theres an army of French ubermen in every direction.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Every country but yours is always run by dumbasses. That's why your faction should be composed exclusively of yourself and your own puppets.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Acute Grill posted:

They're not actually hard coded to do so, but the way the mechanics work, they might as well be.

Canada gets a decision that lets them immediately declare war on the CSA if they're winning CW2. CSA almost always clowns on the federal government and the fascists, so Canada almost always takes that decision.
I guess that's better than KR for Darkest Hour, where the CSA and AUS end up slugging it out on the Mason-Dixon line while the USA punches in from the west.
Three-way civil wars are dumb.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

I guess that's better than KR for Darkest Hour, where the CSA and AUS end up slugging it out on the Mason-Dixon line while the USA punches in from the west.
Three-way civil wars are dumb.

what? that's awesome. The three-way nature meant that as soon as one faction focused too much on one over the other, they'd be absorbed by the third. That's cool, good, and realistic.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Especially because it has an event for that specific scenario that lets the CSA and Long call a truce to focus on the Feds.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Kaiserreich 4's ACW ends up being a...six way war, with the PSA, 99% of Mexico paths, and Canada jumping in.

The result there is almost always an AUS victory.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Tried out Old World Blues and holy hell, this is great.

My first run so far as NCR I ended up with the Western Brotherhood and the Mojave Chapter both getting pissy with me and getting stomped flat for it. Trying to fight power-armored guys in a frontal slugfest is hell, but the NCR go enough divisions that you can generally force them to overstretch their lines. Encirclements and/or hitting them from several direction with AT support mixed in deals with 'em well enough, though.

Which meant I got to capture several thousand suits of T-45 power armor (which the NCR can't even build themselves) that these chucklefucks had stockpiled, but never had the manpower or logistics to field. And now I'm sitting at Hoover Dam like 8 years in, and Caesar is making GBS threads his pants and won't dare declaring war on me despite having done the focus for his casus belli. I'm fielding more divisions than him, with a quarter of them in power armor or motorised (and my first tank divisions are in training), I'm sitting on 100k spare manpower at limited conscription while he has like 5k spare at the same and I have somewhere around ~50% more military factories than him. NCR goes loving nuts if they have enough time to build up and mobilise and managed to gently caress over the BoS. :stare:

Once the first batch of tank divisions roll out, I'm just going to put in the boot and declare on the Legion. With what I've dug in on the Colorado, the river isn't gonna be Caesar's Rubicon. It's gonna be his Isonzo. :unsmigghh:

Magni fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 2, 2018

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Funky Valentine posted:

Kaiserreich 4's ACW ends up being a...six way war, with the PSA, 99% of Mexico paths, and Canada jumping in.

The result there is almost always an AUS victory.
...eh? Seems like I almost always see Canada take at least most of the US, with sometimes a surviving original-borders AUS or PSA.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I didn't even know it was possible to fail at playing Germany this hard. :negative:

(yes that is me being grinded to death against the border of Czechoslovakia in the background)

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 2, 2018

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

I didn't even know it was possible to fail at playing Germany this hard. :negative:

(yes that is me being grinded to death against the border of Czechoslovakia in the background)

I've seen the AI basically lead Germany into the same state. With the added fun that Germany got a civil war out of the deal too. It made for a really boring WWII that wrapped up by '39 and had ~1m dead total.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

MiddleOne posted:

It's what happens when countries don't take the historical path of rolling over like feckless cowards until they can't ignore the nazis anymore.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

if it helps i just lost against poland as germany

in my defense, literally every annex decision before that had the enemy refuse so i ended up with 2 choices, facing the allies with nothing but austria conquered, or facing poland (who had formed the baltic faction). but also i'm bad at the game

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Davincie posted:

in my defense, literally every annex decision before that had the enemy refuse so i ended up with 2 choices, facing the allies with nothing but austria conquered, or facing poland (who had formed the baltic faction). but also i'm bad at the game

wiegieman posted:

It's what happens when countries don't take the historical path of rolling over like feckless cowards until they can't ignore the nazis anymore.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

wiegieman posted:

Peace in our time

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Davincie posted:

poland actually starts out with a better army then germany, so it's not that demeaning

just build up better in the future, friend. people tend to refuse if your army strength is small.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

Good lord, man. Are you just using battle plans set to aggressive or something? You've got multiple red combats going below 25. That's AI behavior. The only reason to sustain a combat marked in red is to delay the enemy there from advancing into an empty province before you can reinforce it, or if you're guaranteed to win the war anyway and you can't be bothered for the attention to do it without pointless losses.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Just played a bit of kaiserreich and wow the USA was a dang 7 way. The West Indies federation or whatever it was called had taken over Florida. Also somehow Portugal had New Orleans.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Good lord, man. Are you just using battle plans set to aggressive or something? You've got multiple red combats going below 25. That's AI behavior. The only reason to sustain a combat marked in red is to delay the enemy there from advancing into an empty province before you can reinforce it, or if you're guaranteed to win the war anyway and you can't be bothered for the attention to do it without pointless losses.

No that was pretty much me giving up after my push through the Southern border stalled and all hope of an expedient game was lost. I also embarrassingly got pushed off the Maginot by France due to forgetting to turn off training in just that one army in time. Things spiraled out of control way more quickly when France and the UK backed Czechoslovakia than I expected and as I've started playing on Ironman lately small mistakes stick in a way they didn't use to. :v:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
And that wraps up my NCR game.

Sic semper tyrannis. Casualties in the NCR-Legion War were ~10k:150k; tank divs once you get them are stupidly powerful in Old World Blues - I rammed four of mine into eight Legion infantry dug in in mountains and the result was that they got bogged down and only broke through like a week or two later because they were doing next to no org damage. They instead just plain murdered Caesar's boys to the last man, while suffering negligible casualties themselves. :stare:

Can anyone else familiar with OWB recommend me what nations/paths are fun to play?

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Magni posted:

Sic semper tyrannis. Casualties in the NCR-Legion War were ~10k:150k; tank divs once you get them are stupidly powerful in Old World Blues - I rammed four of mine into eight Legion infantry dug in in mountains and the result was that they got bogged down and only broke through like a week or two later because they were doing next to no org damage. They instead just plain murdered Caesar's boys to the last man, while suffering negligible casualties themselves. :stare:

Can anyone else familiar with OWB recommend me what nations/paths are fun to play?

I'm a big fan of taking the Desert Rangers down the Brotherhood of Steel path or going independent and trying to bring peace the wasteland separately, it's is who I end up playing more often than not.

If you don't mind things being kinda OP the Courier Six submod for New Vegas is a lot of fun too, usually ends up in a war against the NCR and the Legion at the same time.

The Western Brotherhood of Steel can be pretty fun too, pretty often they get pulled into a war against the NCR earlier than you'd probably like but it can be a lot of fun as well.

For a bit different experience I like playing the Troll Warren or New Reno going down either the Enclave or Super Mutant paths, both get to expand very aggressively, the Warren is at war really early on and will eventually get into a really rough but fun war against the Washington Brotherhood.

There's also the Shattered Wasteland submod, it's pretty obviously unfinished but it breaks the NCR and Legion up into a bunch of smaller states, a lot of which have brand new trees. It's not as well put-together as the main mod, but it's still fun and has things like focus trees for the Eighties and The Divide.

ArchRanger fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 3, 2018

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
The pinnacle of masculitinity

Magni posted:

I think the Legion is a lot of fun, even if a bit easy. They play unlike anything else in this game, having to constantly expand due to their construction penalties. Also sending kids in power armor into battle.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Wow did you guys know you can drag around the scenario choice menu, and also the menu where you pick your country? Like, you can drag it around the screen. Crazy.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I'd say it's "that time again," but it's actually like two weeks away wtf; the mapgoons discord group is starting up a new HoI4 game starting on the 16th. It's a faction game again, but this time with central powers instead of hitler. (Meaning you join the CP and then divy up countries etc.)

Thread here.

Magni posted:

Unfortunately pretty much all the nation paths in the mod either involve afking, beating up NCR personally or joining NCR in beating up the legion.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

I'd say it's "that time again," but it's actually like two weeks away wtf; the mapgoons discord group is starting up a new HoI4 game starting on the 16th. It's a faction game again, but this time with central powers instead of hitler. (Meaning you join the CP and then divy up countries etc.)

Thread here.

Unfortunately pretty much all the nation paths in the mod either involve afking, beating up NCR personally or joining NCR in beating up the legion.

Taking the -500 PP as WB isn't the harshest penalty, and universally it's better to wait till they start poo poo with the Legion to backstab the NCR. Then you can watch Caeser idiotically grind every drop of STB manpower away while you endure a whole 13 casualties in the followup war on tiny mountain edged borders.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

for old world blues try the arroyo focus tree mod. The Yakuza focus tree mod is also good for the post apocalyptic weeb in you

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

StealthArcher posted:

Taking the -500 PP as WB isn't the harshest penalty, and universally it's better to wait till they start poo poo with the Legion to backstab the NCR. Then you can watch Caeser idiotically grind every drop of STB manpower away while you endure a whole 13 casualties in the followup war on tiny mountain edged borders.

if you want that you might as well play enclave reno, though

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

WWII starts in 1942 when Iranian Communists and Afghani Fascists have a border clash, thus setting off the inevitable French + Soviet pushes to Berlin.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Have they said anything about making submarines less jank and more useful in the upcoming naval expansion? I haven't been keeping up with the dev diaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Dongattack posted:

Have they said anything about making submarines less jank and more useful in the upcoming naval expansion? I haven't been keeping up with the dev diaries.

"Improve balance, feedback and mechanics for submarine warfare" has been a stated goal of the DLC since last August, and "Revamped naval combat" and "New naval spotting system" since this May.

You couldn't do the latter two without completely gutting how submarines work.