Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
(It’s a shame) Lee sin is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Lee sin and riot in general is out of their league. The league of legends.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Asema posted:

Jesus loving christ the league spoubreddit is literally a bunch of GOT YOU HA HA Satire bullshit that gives me 0 hope for the male population going forward

Satire? I saw a shitload of people litterally claiming that Riot is being "segregationist" and "blatantly insulting against the majority of their fanbase", and other such things.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

the front page of reddit has multiple satire posts, its very hard to miss them since it says SATIRE next to the title

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One thing that's fueling the fire is this tweet.

https://twitter.com/riotgames/status/1035612002461220865

It does not mention 'women and non-binary only'.

And I bet there are a lot of male fans who want to see this.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Oh noes, between the gajillion seminars women can't safely and comfortably go to, there's one where men will have to follow digitally the horror

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dancer posted:

Oh noes, between the gajillion seminars women can't safely and comfortably go to, there's one where men will have to follow digitally the horror

How in the world is a public seminar unsafe?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Pharohman777 posted:

Nice redtext

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Pharohman777 posted:

:allears:

I dunno, has there ever been a "public" event in the history of Western society where a person with a relative lack of power was unsafe, it eludes me

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Pharohman777 posted:

oh you poor innocent child

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Pharohman777 posted:

your first post in this like year-old thread
red text
gently caress off shithead

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

all of these garbage human beings posting now who didn't post during the recent fun enigma times should get a month off

:yeah:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pharohman777 posted:

From Morello's twitter, I believe, the mere concept of that seminar dedicated to women has already increased female interest and attendance to a very huge degree, so whatever the way you see it, the concept is already being useful enough to reduce the anxiety that exists in attending an environment that, as I've been saying, has not had a stellar record of treating women very well.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Firebert posted:

your first post in this like year-old thread
red text
gently caress off shithead

Thanks for the warm welcome!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Pharohman777 posted:

We give warm welcomes to people who aren't regressive shitheads.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pharohman777 posted:

sounds like your red text needs to be updated to include incel

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Elentor posted:

From Morello's twitter, I believe, the mere concept of that seminar dedicated to women has already increased female interest and attendance to a very huge degree, so whatever the way you see it, the concept is already being useful enough to reduce the anxiety that exists in attending an environment that, as I've been saying, has not had a stellar record of treating women very well.

The problem I see is that stuff like the riot producer panel is gonna be very popular, and unless it is duplicated for men/everyone, there is gonna be a lot of anger from the huge male fanbase over being excluded, which would make the environment for women worse. And that is what is currently happening.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

all of these garbage human beings posting now who didn't post during the recent fun enigma times should get a month off

:agreed:

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Pharohman777 posted:

The problem I see is that stuff like the riot producer panel is gonna be very popular, and unless it is duplicated for men/everyone, there is gonna be a lot of anger from the huge male fanbase over being excluded, which would make the environment for women worse. And that is what is currently happening.

Concern trolls like you have come with that argument since the first moment issues of privilege have been acknowledged and named, and they have almost universally been wrong. This is how you get visibility and progress. It's messy but it's the thing that actually leads to change.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pharohman777 posted:

From Morello's explanation, he believes that Riot could have handled this situation better, probably because of that exact same reason you're giving. I believe they should have taken this opportunity to make a better statement in regards as to why this is needed, but since they didn't, try to be happy with the fact that so far the proof-of-concept of the seminar has resulted in a significantly increased interest of the target demographic.

We're all cynical of the game industry in one way or another, but please understand that there's a lot of anxiety from these groups in attending these events. This seminar so far seems to be successful, from a numbers perspective, in reducing that considerably. Morello already stated they intend to be more careful in the future with giving people a clearer heads up, which seems to be your (and other people's) concern, so for now it's better if you focus on the positive aspect of this.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 2, 2018

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Elentor posted:

From Morello's explanation, he believes that Riot could have handled this situation better, probably because of that exact same reason you're giving. I believe they should have taken this opportunity to make a better statement in regards as to why this is needed, but since they didn't, try to be happy with the fact that so far the proof-of-concept of the seminar has resulted in a significantly increased interest of the target demographic.

We're all cynical of the game industry in one way or another, but please understand that there's a lot of anxiety from these groups in attending these events. This seminar so far seems to be successful, from a numbers perspective, in reducing that considerably. Morello already stated they intend to be more careful in the future with giving people a clearer heads up, which seems to be your (and other people's) concern, so for now it's better if you focus on the positive aspect of this.
If riot had announced the whole 'women and nonbinary' only part at a much better time than 'literally as PAX opens and male league of legends fans stream in' there would be a much smaller backlash.

As it stands, the announcement was done at the worst possible time.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do any of ya'll know what it's like to go into a room wishing to learn something and then being surrounded by people who need a full on lesson makeover about how to take care of their body and how to properly wash who then make it an absolutely their point to impress you by talking down to you about all the information that they know about any given topic that they think might get them to have you talk to them. They can do this directly, or they can just talk as loudly as loving possible so it's the only conversation that you hear because they think that their overcommanding presence about the topic is what you came to see.

And then realize that it's not just one dude. Or 5. Or 10. It's pretty much the majority of the room until it takes the presenter or instructor or whatever minutes to get people to quiet down to start because nobody hears the original request for quiet.

Like I could go into more detail about my experience getting a CS degree and how eventually your work gets questioned no matter what you do, by both your peers and the professor even if you are right or are came to the conclusion from a different path than what they did and therefor you must be wrong!

And I'm sure that doesn't sound terrible to you and it's not if it's a one time thing, but it's every event. For decades of your life, and especially now with Gamergate and the Alt Right where they also start talking about women they'd do things with or "I'm so good that I'd convince her it wasn't rape" and like

Oh no they only let women and nb into a seminar :jerkbag:

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
From what it sounds like they're holding the exact same events just later in the day so really the whole debacle is kind of a non starter. If you've got the means to go to PAX I'm sure waiting a little later in the day isn't that big of a deal. It'd be a completely different ball of wax if they were explicitly having community events and uninviting swaths of their playerbase, but it sounds like they're trying something different to be more inclusive to folks that aren't comfortable at present. Undoubtedly it's super hamfisted and could easily be a PR stunt given Riot shotgun blasted their foot off in the last few months but I think you have to give them the benefit of the doubt they're actually trying to unscrew the problems they're responsible for causing/perpetuating/etc.

Obviously the name calling and otherizing people poo poo Rioters like DanielZKlein on one end and dumbass Redditors are doing are absolutely not conducive to anything and they both should shut the hell up but this is the internet so everyone's gotta be a dickhead and slam dunk their enemies as hard as they can

Also I'm really pining for more of Enigma's plucky hardstuck gold 5 10,000 ranked game shenanigans over people trying to slam dunk on others in this but that's me.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Servaetes posted:

Also I'm really pining for more of Enigma's plucky hardstuck gold 5 10,000 ranked game shenanigans over people trying to slam dunk on others in this but that's me.

he should stream again imo

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

They should make a PAX that is women and non binary only, and then hold the same event with the same conferences immediately after. Then everyone is happy.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Baiku posted:

They should make a PAX that is women and non binary only, and then hold the same event with the same conferences immediately after. Then everyone is happy.

The degree to which you are missing the point (and/or being an obnoxious douche) is truly legendary.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

welcome to the league of legends thread to all of our new friends

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pharohman777 posted:

If riot had announced the whole 'women and nonbinary' only part at a much better time than 'literally as PAX opens and male league of legends fans stream in' there would be a much smaller backlash.

Yes, we know that, everyone knows that, there's an entire reddit page freaking out about that in such an over-the-top way that in case you haven't noticed, people here are not going to empathize with them.

Maybe I'm being extremely naive in engaging you. Today I learned a lot about concern trolls, and people who try to mud the situation with arguments, but I'm trying to assume, perhaps naively, that you have the best interest of everyone involved in mind. Like I already said, some Riot members acknowledge the issues with the timing, which is already in my post to which you're replying. There's no new information to be added - the timing wasn't great, there are thousands of posts about that, but we know that ultimately the concept has had good results in the direction they intended which is reducing the anxiety in attendance from these groups. They've already mentioned that this isn't the end-all-be-all and other groups, like ethnic minorities, are also underrepresented (and I'm particularly interested in whatever plans they have for dealing with that). At this point if you're interested in making a positive change, not freaking out about this is your best bet to reduce the problem.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elentor posted:

Maybe I'm being extremely naive in engaging you. Today I learned a lot about concern trolls, and people who try to mud the situation with arguments, but I'm trying to assume, perhaps naively, that you have the best interest of everyone involved in mind.

This is the new norm and then also gaslighting has become a pretty big thing.

"I'm just here having a conversation and you are the one getting so worked up about it!"

You take a bunch of gamergate, the ArenaNet bullshit, and now this and you get a bunch of continued entitled children who can't fathom why people don't want to engage with them

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Pharohman777 posted:

gently caress off

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

can you jabronis can it. the saving grace of this thread is we do not have people posting reddit tier whiny poo poo and then you new guys show up

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Baiku posted:

“Baiku” posted:

Like a woman your opponents will not be able to resist getting the last word in. Time spent typing about how bad their feeding lane mates are is time spent not last hitting (read: WINNING). Target their jungler. Jungler is the hardest position in the game and a demoralized jungler is an unmotivated jungler.

Engaging in psychological warfare like a gentleman helps me shore up my weak points like actual mechanical skill and intuition. It can also help you!

It is not enough to succeed. Others must fail.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
gently caress off

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

kingcobweb posted:

gently caress off

kingcobweb posted:

gently caress off

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Asema posted:

This is the new norm and then also gaslighting has become a pretty big thing.

"I'm just here having a conversation and you are the one getting so worked up about it!"

You take a bunch of gamergate, the ArenaNet bullshit, and now this and you get a bunch of continued entitled children who can't fathom why people don't want to engage with them

Yeah, people on Discord explained me that these are rhetorics being used to distort situations and that I'm wasting breath. Someone familiar with the current Brazilian socio-politic dynamics made a few analogies that made me understand that a lot of my good will is being wasted on people using dishonest rhetorics on purpose. Before today I hadn't heard of the terms sea lions or concern trolls and now I feel a little more dead inside.

It made me understand why most people's reaction is "gently caress off" to these people. I just assumed they genuinely didn't understand, not that they were being disingenuous on purpose.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 2, 2018

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Haha what a riot right guys?

Honestly though I thought PAX panels were a bunch of fans in a room asking questions that the general public doesnt care about. Are they predator dens now? I generally like the idea of female only and such but seems really poorly planned. KInda seems like a last minute decision.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fvTxv46ano

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
good work pog

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Here’s what the thread needs more of.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Radical posted:

welcome to the league of legends thread to all of our new friends

It's a safe place for both people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Enough of the derail. If your could enter a hyperbolic time chamber and play 1,000 ranked games before the end of the season, with the caveat that it's a role/champion you haven't played before, what would it be?

I would probably pick up orianna because she seems like she's never weak and I got the dark star skin for free for buying rune pages last year.