Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Atomizer posted:

One thing I'm not sure about is if there are any restrictions in terms of the software that can be running on those PCs at tournaments. The gear is generally uniform and provided by sponsors (except perhaps at smaller events?) and to be fair it wouldn't surprise me if the rules stipulated that you couldn't use the configuration software, dick around with macros, reassign keys, etc. It's dumb, but I'd expect some restrictions so if that mandates the relocation of the DPI button to the bottom then :shrug:
Lots of mice allow you to save all of this to the mouse now. Prior to that, it was common for large events to have various driver installers or to allow players to bring software.

It depends on the event and era.

People have been caught with cheating programs stored in their mouse at least once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
Every event I've gone to already had razer synapse/logitech/etc already installed and if you had some weird mouse that needed another driver an admin would gladly get it working.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

So in other words, what you guys are saying is that moving that button to a hard-to-reach spot on the bottom of the mouse was totally unnecessary?

:thunk:

Edit: Hmm, for the next several hours you can use the 15% off everything code on eBay PREGAME15 to get the wireless G Pro from Best Buy for about $128 (plus tax). That's still more than I'd spend on it, but it's worth mentioning and you can of course use the code on a different mouse.

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 28, 2018

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I'm not making any judgment about the necessity, just that I could conceive of people who play games for a living requesting it (and thus Logitech going "welp, may as well implement it, this thing's gonna be $150 anyway")

people do love Zowie for keeping all that stuff on the hw side though

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Suggestion for dealing with steelseries customer support:

Don't.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Khorne posted:

Most logitech, and other brand, lmb/rmb mouse click failures are from dust and debris, not wear. Spraying contact cleaner into the switch will fix it for literal years to come.

Is contact cleaner different from just general windex or something? Wondering if it's worth trying to fix my Razer Naga instead of buying another mouse.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Arivia posted:

Is contact cleaner different from just general windex or something? Wondering if it's worth trying to fix my Razer Naga instead of buying another mouse.

Yeah, not at all the same as windex. You can get it at hardware or auto stores. Specifically electrical contact cleaner. It's in an aerosol can and works like WD-40, where you can squirt it from the outside and it will evaporate itself off.

Regular rubbing alcohol on a q-tip works great, but you have to open up the switch to do that.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 29, 2018

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Atomizer posted:

Edit: Hmm, for the next several hours you can use the 15% off everything code on eBay PREGAME15 to get the wireless G Pro from Best Buy for about $128 (plus tax). That's still more than I'd spend on it, but it's worth mentioning and you can of course use the code on a different mouse.

I was outright ready to pull the trigger until I saw it doesn't ship to AU. I looked at preorder prices here and it's AUD$250 (USD$183.50) but at least you get free shipping... :signings:

I love the Australia Tax.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
All the chat about players wanting to do customizations on tournament machines forgets that you generally don't want to make deep customizations as a pro gamer. Every customization you need to make is one you have to do every time you switch to a new PC, and one you risk forgetting to do before the match. Newer mice with onboard settings storage greatly reduces the risks, but there's still a ton of value in having good stock settings to train on so you can grab an emergency replacement off the store shelf and be ready to go in the event of hardware failure or disappearance. At minimum, if there's a setting that you can't set via import from file on a USB stick, that setting might as well not exist.

Exceptions exist of course, and if you do really need specific software for legitimate reasons most tournament organizers will be happy to oblige if you contact them ahead of time. You're introducing variables in your performance though and as a professional gamer your income by extension.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Don't bindshame. For example, anonymous CS playing goon:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Audax posted:

:stare:

isndl
May 2, 2012

Audax posted:

I do things like mouse2 for crouch in my FPS games and it always throws me off when I step up to a demo station and everything is wrong. Good thing I'm not going to tournaments. :v:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Audax posted:

I would never bindshame anyone, mainly because I game left handed and rebind everything to arrow keys and surrounding stuff. I am aware of my weirdness

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I would never bindshame anyone, mainly because I game left handed and rebind everything to arrow keys and surrounding stuff. I am aware of my weirdness

I started playing FPSs really early on (Wolfenstein 3D, Doom) before mouselook was a thing, and after it became the norm, I used the arrow keys for movement on the left hand. Ctrl for crouch, Shift for jump, Num0 for reload, etc. Nowadays I still don't use WASD; I've been using gamepads for a long time, originally the Belkin Nostromo n50 and currently the Logitech G13. I don't have any weird binds though, like what Audax posted; that poo poo's loving insane. :stare:

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

isndl posted:

I do things like mouse2 for crouch in my FPS games and it always throws me off when I step up to a demo station and everything is wrong. Good thing I'm not going to tournaments. :v:

:same: the mouse2 crouch is a holdover from (i think) half life’s crouch jumping stuff for me but I can’t ever unlearn it EXCEPT for the Tribes series where it’s jetpack because there is no need to crouch.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Audax posted:

I've seen how some CS pros position their keyboard and fingers during tourneys. It's a twisting abomination.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I've played WoW for so long that I need to rebind every other game's strafing to Q/E. This has been a problem in game like Skyrim where picking up books uses the E key and could not, from what I was able to tell, be changed by keybinds.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Ofecks posted:

I've played WoW for so long that I need to rebind every other game's strafing to Q/E. This has been a problem in game like Skyrim where picking up books uses the E key and could not, from what I was able to tell, be changed by keybinds.

You can rebind keys in Skyrim, it's just that Bethesda is too incompetent to have the UI reflect your custom bindings. You have to remember what you set everything to, particularly in menus like crafting. :sigh:

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Ofecks posted:

Alternate solution: You can strafe with a/d in wow?

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
Default strafe in WoW is Q and E, turn is A and D.

I got so used to strafe being A and D in FPS's that became my default, along with inverted mouse-look. The latter though I fully lay the blame on X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

wolrah posted:

Vertical mice are kind of a love it or hate it thing.

Definitely my experience. I thought I wanted a vertical mouse but it turns out I really wanted a trackball.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Careful Drums posted:

Definitely my experience. I thought I wanted a vertical mouse but it turns out I really wanted a trackball.

That's definitely where I plan to explore next, but the market is definitely limited and the well reviewed ones are expensive. Not sure if I want to go with a thumb ball or a center ball, it seems like the former might be better for gaming but the latter are better ergonomically.

Also on the topic of alternative mice, I like trackpads for light use like random internet browsing and have found it a decent experience using Macs with the "Magic Trackpad". Does anyone have any recommendations for something similar for PC use?

I'm looking for something large and high quality that supports the Microsoft "Precision" driver to connect to system gestures rather than bringing its own nonsense. Wired with a removable MicroUSB or USB-C cord, a dark color scheme, and at least two physical buttons (easier to drag with) would be preferable but none of those are dealbreakers.

I know the Apple unit can be paired to a PC, but from what I've read the official drivers are extremely limited and you have to run a bunch of homebrew software to get it to work fully.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

isndl posted:

You can rebind keys in Skyrim, it's just that Bethesda is too incompetent to have the UI reflect your custom bindings. You have to remember what you set everything to, particularly in menus like crafting. :sigh:

Nope, not that particular key. Since E is bound to right strafe for me it just turns the pages in the book. If I recall correctly, there's no separate "pick up book" keybind to bind, either. It's simply E and nothing else.

Skryim books :argh: At least, unless you're collecting them just because, I don't think there are many books you actually need to carry with you for quests or whatever.

Koskun posted:

Default strafe in WoW is Q and E, turn is A and D.

Yeah I forgot to mention that. For the vast majority of the time I've played it, I never rebound A and D to something more useful than turning (which is also default-bound to the arrow keys), but I know better now.

Back on-topic, my new replacement mouse is working fine, but I think its lifespan may be abnormally limited as well - the G603 is a bit too large for me to use comfortably with my fingertips directly over the microswitches. That's saying something because my handspan or whatever is over 17cm which I think the mouse reviewer guy says is large. It's probably due to me needing to rest my wrist on the mouse pad for control stability (don't worry, it's actually straight due to the height of this desk vs my chair position and its armwrests). Clicking still works but the more I click off-center (and have to use slightly more pressure to do so), the faster the switches and/or contact mechanism under the cover will wear out. Just a theory at this point, we shall see.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Ofecks posted:

Nope, not that particular key. Since E is bound to right strafe for me it just turns the pages in the book. If I recall correctly, there's no separate "pick up book" keybind to bind, either. It's simply E and nothing else.

Skryim books :argh: At least, unless you're collecting them just because, I don't think there are many books you actually need to carry with you for quests or whatever.

No, one of the first binds I always set is 'use' to F in every game. With Skyrim I can hit F to open the book and again to take it even though the UI keeps telling me to use E. Don't trust the UI labels.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

isndl posted:

No, one of the first binds I always set is 'use' to F in every game. With Skyrim I can hit F to open the book and again to take it even though the UI keeps telling me to use E. Don't trust the UI labels.

That’s always G for me because F was flashlight in half life and original CS.

I never really thought about how non-standard many of my bonds are these days and why that’s the case.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I got myself a G502 and while I really like it so far especially the scroll wheel my only problem with it is the braided cable. Do I need to worry about it fraying?

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 1, 2018

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Speaking of the 502, Logitech just announced a refresh with the new Hero sensor. Probably not enough to upgrade if you have a 502 already, but I wish they would do a wireless 502. I don't actually use the extra buttons on the top that often but I like the ability to do so. I'm considering the G Pro Wireless but I feel like the extra buttons on the non-thumb side would be awkward to use, so the wireless 403 (703? I get confused with this naming scheme) would be just as good at half the price. Anyone use mice with buttons on both sides and is it as awkward as it seems?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Edit: not relevant.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 1, 2018

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
On the G Pro, can you use the side buttons on both sides or do you have to pick a side? I'm keeping my MX Anywhere 2S for travel for the foreseeable future, but it would make a good replacement.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

spasticColon posted:

I got myself a G502 and while I really like it so far especially the scroll wheel my only problem with it is the braided cable. Do I need to worry about it fraying?

I wouldn't worry too much unless you've got some terrible setup where your mouse cord is constantly rubbing against a sharp metal edge or something like that (and in that case, I'd be worried about a rubber-coated cable too!) To be on the safe side you could certainly just get a cheap mouse cable manager.

Humerus posted:

Speaking of the 502, Logitech just announced a refresh with the new Hero sensor. Probably not enough to upgrade if you have a 502 already, but I wish they would do a wireless 502. I don't actually use the extra buttons on the top that often but I like the ability to do so. I'm considering the G Pro Wireless but I feel like the extra buttons on the non-thumb side would be awkward to use, so the wireless 403 (703? I get confused with this naming scheme) would be just as good at half the price. Anyone use mice with buttons on both sides and is it as awkward as it seems?

The G Pro Wireless is like the G903 in that you can customize the side buttons, adding or removing them to or from either side. Razer mice tend to be ambidextrous and some have buttons on both sides; this has never been an issue for me but I could understand how some people might inadvertently hit the wrong buttons. Of course you can always disable them in software (or physically customize them like the above mice.)

The G403 & 703 are basically the same mouse, but the latter is the updated version that works with Powerplay (like the 903 & G Pro Wireless.) It's one thing if you want the rest of the features in the new G Pro, but otherwise there's little reason to go with that or the 703/903 because that's their main semi-unique selling point. Otherwise, there are cheaper, slightly older versions like the 403, 900, 305, etc.

Ynglaur posted:

On the G Pro, can you use the side buttons on both sides or do you have to pick a side? I'm keeping my MX Anywhere 2S for travel for the foreseeable future, but it would make a good replacement.

The buttons are fully customizable in software.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ynglaur posted:

I think the long review recently posted said you could have both sides.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

spasticColon posted:

no

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

spasticColon posted:

I looked it up myself when I got mine and the search results are pretty mixed. Altogether I'm not particularly worried. Personally, I love the braided cable and how awesome it looks / feels.

Reddit, however, seems to have a bunch of people with fraying cables: https://www.google.com/search?q=log...iw=1536&bih=750

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 2, 2018

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Obviously ymmv but I was at Target yesterday and they had G603s on clearance for $48 and G903s for $104. I very nearly bought the 603 but I decided to hold out for a wireless 502 style mouse, because I feel like it will happen eventually.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I play on the couch and have a logitech ball mouse. It sucks for FPS's. I'm very bad at FPS's using the ball mouse. Everything is harder. Does anyone else play on a couch? What setup do you use? Is there some kind of hack for using a normal mouse on a couch somehow?
edit: the issue being there's no good surface for a normal mouse
edit 2: the ball is on top of the mouse. it's a logitech marble mouse with the ball right in the middle of the mouse. That's how I play on the couch without having to have a normal mouse surface.

redreader fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 2, 2018

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Humerus posted:

Obviously ymmv but I was at Target yesterday and they had G603s on clearance for $48 and G903s for $104. I very nearly bought the 603 but I decided to hold out for a wireless 502 style mouse, because I feel like it will happen eventually.

It probably would be worth getting the 603 because it's a good mouse and you can probably resell it (or keep it as a backup) when your hypothetical wireless 502 is eventually created. I mean it's one thing to hold out on a piece of hardware (like a GPU) because you know the next generation is coming soon, but it's kind of dumb to wait for something specific that may never exist. It sounds like you're ready to upgrade now so you might as well go for it when you come across a good deal.

The 903, as I've stated, is also very nice, although it's not for everyone so try it out if you're considering it at all. I wouldn't necessarily go straight for that mouse, though, unless you're going to get a Powerplay mat.

redreader posted:

I play on the couch and have a logitech ball mouse. It sucks for FPS's. I'm very bad at FPS's using the ball mouse. Everything is harder. Does anyone else play on a couch? What setup do you use? Is there some kind of hack for using a normal mouse on a couch somehow?
edit: the issue being there's no good surface for the mouse

As I've written in the past, I used to play everything with a Logitech Trackman Marble Wheel Plus. For couch play (with a regular mouse) you're going to need some kind of lap desk thing, like this, or this, or this.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Humerus posted:

Don't worry now that I bought a wired G502 Logitech will release a wireless version just to annoy me.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
I had several G502s that had cables frayed and failed. Its still a top-tier mouse, I just wish it had a better cable. I have the G903 now so I don't have to worry about cable death and its pretty good, probably my favorite mouse overall right now, but I dunno if I could choose between it and a theoretical wireless G502. Would probably get whichever was cheaper.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

spasticColon posted:

Don't worry now that I bought a wired G502 Logitech will release a wireless version just to annoy me.

Just like I got the non-RGB one a couple weeks before they released the RGB one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Just like I got the non-RGB one a couple weeks before they released the RGB one.

Well Logitech is going to release another iteration of the G502 the "G502 Hero" which only has a somewhat better sensor (16000dpi vs 12000dpi) and that's it the mouse is still wired with a braided cable. It will also be $80 at launch and I got my Proteus Spectrum model for $50+tax. If the Hero model had been wireless or had a non-braided cable then I would have waited for a sale.