Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Jose Oquendo posted:

I like the movie. My only complaint is that everyone is miserable and mumbles lines. The TV series (which is amazing) had a fair amount of humor while going into some pretty dark places at times.
Miami Vice the series is indeed awesome. The show’s style is one of the foundational elements of the 80s nostalgia wave. You do have to go into it realizing that it came from an era of 26 episode seasons (yes, there is filler) and you’ll have to decided yourself how much of it to watch. I bailed after the first two episodes in season 3 and I don’t feel like I’m missing anything (they completely changed the wardrobe in that season; it’s all murky yellows and greens, blah).

It’s on Hulu last I checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That's when Mann left the series. They went back to it in season 5 but by then it was too little too late.

The show is on Hulu and on NBC's website so it's free there, but there's a couple episodes missing on both sites. I think it's due to music rights. I'm also not sure if those sites have all the original music, which is an important part of the show.

If you've never checked it out, do it. The show is this combination of fashion, music, amazing visuals, all contrasted against dark criminal poo poo.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

mystes posted:

Is this a common problem with Tom Clancy's work? I think the only book I read by him was Rainbow Six, but it kind of had this issue as well (it devoted so much time to the point of view of the antagonists that it somehow ended up being a bit of a let down that their plan to release a virus to kill the entire human race failed in the end).

It’s not really a problem since it’s purely intentional for the genre. Almost all of the anti-terrorism movies and books from the 80s and 90s feature the antagonist being a casualty of some black book CIA op. They want you to have some empathy for them even if you can’t agree with their choices.

I would say it’s some conscience pangs about Afghanistan in the 80s but I’m pretty sure this stuff predated Bin Alden’s first attack in 94.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Does netflix make their cartoons look as gently caress-ugly as possible on purpose?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Unzip and Attack posted:

Miami Vice is a pretty superb film with amazing casting and some of the best gunplay in recent cinema. Colin Ferrell's mustache is pretty top notch as well.

It's peak Michael Mann in the best way. It shares a very similar look and feel with Collateral. It's a love letter to dimly lit urban landscapes at dawn/dusk.

Collateral was definitely a better movie, but my friends and I saw it in theaters when we were just out of high school and still loved the visuals and feel but had no idea what the gently caress the plot was.

E:

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Does netflix make their cartoons look as gently caress-ugly as possible on purpose?

Detail costs way more money in animation than it does in film. Waaaay more. Think of the difference between drawing a background character drinking coffee vs getting an extra and a mug.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 1, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Guys, Jack Ryan wrote a *custom* SQL query.

Hey man, he’s dealing with two whole systems that aren’t meant to communicate.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Collateral was definitely a better movie, but my friends and I saw it in theaters when we were just out of high school and still loved the visuals and feel but had no idea what the gently caress the plot was.

E:

Detail costs way more money in animation than it does in film. Waaaay more. Think of the difference between drawing a background character drinking coffee vs getting an extra and a mug.

I'm well aware of the cost of animation, I'm talking basic art style. Big mouth is the ugliest loving thing I have ever had the misfortune of seeing, and the new lovely cop show is no better

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I'm well aware of the cost of animation, I'm talking basic art style. Big mouth is the ugliest loving thing I have ever had the misfortune of seeing, and the new lovely cop show is no better

F is for Family is.. decent looking I guess? That could just be my Bill Burr fanboy-ism talking I guess though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
BoJack looks nice. Devilman Crybaby and BLAME! both look cool as hell if you can tolerate anime.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Okay, so the last time I used Prime Video on my Apple TV, there was a search menu, and now it's gone, anyone else getting this poo poo?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Bojack looks like poo poo but is good despite the fanbase, very similar to Rick and Morty.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
VRV recently added a channel for old Nickelodeon shows, time to see how poorly my favorite shows have aged.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Jack Ryan is really loving good. That is all.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Bojack looks like poo poo

??? Lisa Hanawalt's art style is legit great what are you talking about

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Art style and technical art direction and execution are different things. Rick and Morty is similar in the opposite direction: I hate the art style but love the technical execution.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

For all the comparisons Ozark gets to Breaking Bad I think it has a lot more in common with Sons of Anarchy than anything.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

married but discreet posted:

Miami Vice (2006) is on Prime. What a strange, strange movie it is. It's got a very distinct look that I can't quite describe, grainy digital fakereal? It doesn't quite look like a movie or a TV show or real life footage, one could say it looks like rear end but it's very deliberately looking like that. Perhaps trying to invent an early 2000s aesthetic like the TV show did for the 80s? The story is downright incomprehensible with everyone mumbling their lines, so don't try to follow that, just look at the moving pictures.

Miami Vice was Cocaine: The Series, and diligent researcher that he is, Mann decided to update it in a way that seems to anticipate vibing on Molly at an EDM concert.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

veni veni veni posted:

For all the comparisons Ozark gets to Breaking Bad I think it has a lot more in common with Sons of Anarchy than anything.

Pretty much the only thing they have in common is dad does illegal poo poo for a drug cartel. I never got why people compare them so often.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I just watched Revenge, holy crap such a good movie. Now I want to watch something else, but I'm kinda clueless. Any new Indie flick that flew under the radar, maybe something like Wheelman? Or Revenge.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mike12345 posted:

I just watched Revenge, holy crap such a good movie. Now I want to watch something else, but I'm kinda clueless. Any new Indie flick that flew under the radar, maybe something like Wheelman? Or Revenge.

Is revenge streaming free anywhere? Been wanting to watch that.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

mike12345 posted:

Have you seen Sightseers? It’s not especially new but it’s in a very similar vein.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I forgot how worthless the prizes were on legends of the hidden temple. They give away poo poo like yoyos and candy to the teams that get eliminated early and stuff like cd players as upper end prizes. The only one worth anything is the grand prize of a vacation to some chain resort.

Still, it holds up surprisingly well. The host desperately trying to wrangle the kids into doing what they need to do as they generally ignore him adds probably half the fun.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US-WKYA89Ig
]

This is a good Defunctland on LotHT

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Laura Linney's character actually has productive things to do in Ozark season 2, it's a welcome change

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Coincidence, I just finished the last ep of season 2 while making that post. I really liked it; just as gripping as the first season.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Unzip and Attack posted:

Miami Vice is a pretty superb film with amazing casting and some of the best gunplay in recent cinema. Colin Ferrell's mustache is pretty top notch as well.

It's peak Michael Mann in the best way. It shares a very similar look and feel with Collateral. It's a love letter to dimly lit urban landscapes at dawn/dusk.

Thank you, couldn't have written this better myself.

Collateral was a great film. But perhaps I was biased due to Heat.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Miami Vice is the only flick I’ve ever seen that captures visually what it feels like to stand in Florida’s sulfur-infused humidity.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Man Julia Garner is just a beast of an actress in Ozark.

Edit - Deserves an Emmy

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Just got done with The Fits, the Anne Rose Holmer flick from 2015 about a middle school boxer who joins her school's competitive dance troupe just in time for an outbreak of collective hysteria. Not unlike Carol Morley's The Falling, but with a smaller budget, modern setting, and a much more straightforward (less sensationalist) approach. Soft rec for fans of magical realism and existential horror.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Alright, I enjoyed Jack Ryan, despite not being able to stand John Krasinski. Definitely worth a watch.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

tweet my meat posted:

I forgot how worthless the prizes were on legends of the hidden temple. They give away poo poo like yoyos and candy to the teams that get eliminated early and stuff like cd players as upper end prizes. The only one worth anything is the grand prize of a vacation to some chain resort.

Still, it holds up surprisingly well. The host desperately trying to wrangle the kids into doing what they need to do as they generally ignore him adds probably half the fun.

I thought they also had video game consoles as prizes, or was that Nick Arcade?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Alright, I enjoyed Jack Ryan, despite not being able to stand John Krasinski. Definitely worth a watch.

The best part for me was the final episodes reveal that Jack was a loving moron USMC officer who got all his men killed was really visceral for me as a veteran, because my battalion also had a moron officer who also got like 14 people killed by being a loving moron and later wrote himself up for a silver star for the incident. How on earth he got hired by the CIA after that seems like a huge plot hole.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Where are you seeing Legends of the Hidden Temple streaming?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
VRV has it

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

red19fire posted:

The best part for me was the final episodes reveal that Jack was a loving moron USMC officer who got all his men killed was really visceral for me as a veteran, because my battalion also had a moron officer who also got like 14 people killed by being a loving moron and later wrote himself up for a silver star for the incident. How on earth he got hired by the CIA after that seems like a huge plot hole.

The guy in charge of the CIA probably picked Zaeed to lead the Suicide Mission team in Mass Effect 2.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
He was a hedge fund manager beforehand and employed on that basis.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Ozark season 2 episode 5 is loving gnarly

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Do not under any circumstances watch "Emelie".

What a steaming heap of poo poo and waste of time. Worst movie in a good long while.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I watched Mother! on Hulu last night and uh, drat. I went into it blind and did not expect it to go where it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
mother! was too stressful for me, I had to turn it off around 30 minutes in.

The River Wild, on Netflix is a pretty good 90's thriller movie starring Kevin Bacon as a bank robber on the run who takes Meryl Streep's family hostage while they're on a whitewater rafting trip.