Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bombadilillo posted:

I like when Bashir meets Kiera and tells her he's excited to treat the hicks in this 2 horse town.

His entire into is adorably tone-deaf.

"Yeah well over at StarFleet Medical we had the latest and greatest but here... :sucks in air: it's real frontier medicine, real stuff, not diagnostic panels and hyposprays and replicated organs. Real, honest, artisanal medicine."

Like, he probably saw an abscessed tooth and went on about how only pre-warp civilizations get these and it's like the Black Plague you know real simple hygiene issue ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I like the augment storyline because it introduces Bashir's father, who happens to be Ki-Adi-Mundi from Star Wars The Clone Wars and Babu from Seinfeld.

Brian George gets around

Bogus Adventure fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 2, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

His entire into is adorably tone-deaf.

"Yeah well over at StarFleet Medical we had the latest and greatest but here... :sucks in air: it's real frontier medicine, real stuff, not diagnostic panels and hyposprays and replicated organs. Real, honest, artisanal medicine."

Like, he probably saw an abscessed tooth and went on about how only pre-warp civilizations get these and it's like the Black Plague you know real simple hygiene issue ...

bashir didn't know it at the time, but he was completely right about bajor

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Good grief, "artisanal" medicine? I was hoping that the Eugenics War would have stomped the hipsters out of existence. What the gently caress, Khan???

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Can we talk about how lovely the “kitbash” ships were? Yeager class was just loving terrible. Also, the “K’vort” class was just a regular bird of prey model made not to scale.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Bogus Adventure posted:

I like the augment storyline because it introduces Bashir's father, who happens to be Ki-Adi-Mundi from Star Wars The Clone Wars and Babu from Seinfeld.

Brian George gets around

He was also in the Orville. Oh yeah and he plays Raj’s dad on The Big Bang Theory too, so I guess Raj and Bashir are half brothers like Spock and Sybok.

naem
May 29, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole plague episode was pretty crazy hosed, with Bashir having to learn that even with his bleeding edge Federation medicine he can't save everyone on his own terms.

Reminded of when a none too confident McCoy manages to successfully heal a Horta and says he thinks he might be a miracle worker.

McCoy healed a rock, Bashir made a vaccine for a brutally genocidal plague, the Doctor did all kinds of silly hologram stuff... iirc, Crusher hosed a candle.

I luv my candle wifu

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

He was also in the Orville. Oh yeah and he plays Raj’s dad on The Big Bang Theory too, so I guess Raj and Bashir are half brothers like Spock and Sybok.

Wait was he the guy from the pilot who made the time acceleration device?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Bogus Adventure posted:

Brian George gets around

His stellar ubiquity in film and TV is rivaled only by Erick Avari, who is in motherfucking everything, but yet I still associate him as the “no wheezing the juice” guy in Encino Man.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

His stellar ubiquity in film and TV is rivaled only by Erick Avari, who is in motherfucking everything, but yet I still associate him as the “no wheezing the juice” guy in Encino Man.

I love that guy, he rules.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i did not come here to be accosted by master rahool

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Bobby Deluxe posted:

i did not come here to be accosted by master rahool

How about Kasuf of Abydos?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

it really is hosed up that the horny augment bashir meets is locked up in an institution while lwaxana troi is allowed to roam free

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

THS posted:

it really is hosed up that the horny augment bashir meets is locked up in an institution while lwaxana troi is allowed to roam free

To be fair, she destroyed the power rangers

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

i feel so sad when people don't like early-season bashir because he is the most credible "smart guy who just got out of medical school" character ever. he's a weird dumbass who doesn't know when to shut up and is confused by normal things. it sounds like im being a dick but for real I think it works and i want to give him an affectionate noogie and explain appropriate workplace conduct

That was my favorite part of his performance and then they had to grim him up and downgrade his character. Sucked. I wish he'd have kept some of that original personality.

I also liked that one episode where he imagines a version of Jadzia that's into him and Jadzia takes it with amusement and drills him if that's how he sees her, but only for that.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Gatts posted:

That was my favorite part of his performance and then they had to grim him up and downgrade his character. Sucked. I wish he'd have kept some of that original personality.

I also liked that one episode where he imagines a version of Jadzia that's into him and Jadzia takes it with amusement and drills him if that's how he sees her, but only for that.

"Do you really want me that submissive?"

Also it was a literal alien that turned itself onto jadzia based on reading his imagination.

I like his arc, he goes from a brash early 20s kid arrogant and just horny as gently caress and is a calm 30s by the ends who's had some long term relationships and is just a better person all around. The grim wasnt anything the whole show didnt do

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

naem posted:

I luv my candle wifu

Beverly has something in common with Kesha (aka ghost dick owns)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

bashir didn't know it at the time, but he was completely right about bajor

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gatts posted:

Same, or had the arc be more about what he maintains about his optimism (i.e. mature optimism versus eating-Federation-mantra-for-breakfast optimism) and why it matters

frankly ds9 loses wind when it becomes like a 14 year old boy's fanfic version of itself. there's still some good stuff in the later seasons but idk there's a lot of tedious crap

Pick fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 3, 2018

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Cant tell if bajorans are space-jews or space-palistinians.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
idk which one has more infighting

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

- sylverdoodles on tumblr

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Pick posted:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pick posted:

i love the turbo-90s background

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

90s kids remember

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Pick posted:

90s kids remember

I'm an '80s/'90s kid, and I don't get it. :negative:

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bombadilillo posted:

Space Korea?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bogus Adventure posted:

I'm an '80s/'90s kid, and I don't get it. :negative:

well it's not like you're going to get this either

ooohhhhh!!!

-johnthemurray on tumblr

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It probably says something about how Crusher got poorly served that even Voyager has what everyone agrees to be a better rounded and featured doctor than her. Did they do much with her besides being her Wesley's mom and maybe having a weird love interest of the week? Hell, she got written out for a reason and people kinda preferred her replacement. (despite her being space racist)

And while I haven't seen Enterprise, wasn't Shran the doctor on that?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Pick posted:

I look at this and wonder what would happen if Toejam & Earl were Star Trek aliens.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bombadilillo posted:

Ghostlight posted:

It can't be Palestine because the Cardassians left.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It probably says something about how Crusher got poorly served that even Voyager has what everyone agrees to be a better rounded and featured doctor than her. Did they do much with her besides being her Wesley's mom and maybe having a weird love interest of the week? Hell, she got written out for a reason and people kinda preferred her replacement. (despite her being space racist)

And while I haven't seen Enterprise, wasn't Shran the doctor on that?

She got written out because she was being sexually harrassed by Maurice Hurley and she wouldn't just put up with it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

sweet geek swag posted:

She got written out because she was being sexually harrassed by Maurice Hurley and she wouldn't just put up with it.

Fair enough on that.

TNG in retrospect really wasn't that good around women. DS9 has its issues, but they outright had a woman with second to top billing as the second in command who had (some) plots that didn't revolve around her vagina.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fair enough on that.

TNG in retrospect really wasn't that good around women. DS9 has its issues, but they outright had a woman with second to top billing as the second in command who had (some) plots that didn't revolve around her vagina.

Yeah, Gene Roddenberry's at least partly to blame for that.

Example: during TNG pre-production, for quite some time he pushed back against the concept of having a Klingon officer on board. (Later on he'd push back against a couple of the Worf episodes because "Worf's not a major character") Didn't like the idea, didn't want a Klingon on the bridge. Then when they're talking about Encounter at Farpoint, one of the writers - I think it was D.C. Fontana - said "hey, someone's gotta be in charge of the saucer when we send it off, let's have a woman commander" and Gene instantly comes back with "nah, let's get that Klingon fella in there."

Roddenberry got severely misogynist in his old age.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fair enough on that.

Dr. Crusher played off Data really well, and she'll always be the Dancing Doctor.

Bogus Adventure fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 3, 2018

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

To be fair, that was literally her day job.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

If only the Enterprise's backup navigation system was a DDR pad.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I remember groaning at that joystick when I saw it in theatre.

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4x1K97JZG0&t=26s

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 3, 2018

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

She did fine when she was in command of the Enterprise during the Descent two-parter.

My own layman's take on Dr. Crusher is that they crippled her character by making her development dependent on Wesley and Picard. She was the first Star Trek character who was also a parent, and she had a weird romance angle with Captain Picard---the very same dude who delivered the corpse of her dead husband to her and also caused his death. She lost the parent angle when Wil left the show. She lost the romance angle when Picard decided to chase Vash's vag. It left her character development pretty shallow compared to the rest of the cast. I really like Dr. Crusher, and I think she was a great contrast to the cantankerous Bones. However, she's not as interesting as Bashir or The Doctor because her character was dependent on others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Lazyhound posted:

I remember groaning at that joystick when I saw it in theatre.

:same: