Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Not a lizardman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
While I'm sad that it's not Nurgle, I not going to pretend that I'm not buying the poo poo out of it as soon as it hits the stores.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Bigass troll and a few terribly lovely goblins for a warband?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I bet the troll will be able to do something like eat a goblin to regain health, so he’ll be a resilient workhorse but limited in what he can do by how many little fellas are left.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They show a bunch of Nightvault stuff here: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/08/30/breaking-previews-and-reveals-from-novagw-homepage-post-1/.
New sigmarines and a Nighthaunt team in the core set, and a new spell system.
There's also a preview of a squig!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I hope that squig is on a goblin team alongside that troll. Let them be this weird menagerie warband.

Also interesting that they went with 7 again for the undead. I'm guessing the lead spookghost will have a similar ability to the Warden that will allow multiple models to move at once. Otherwise, anything above 5 gets unwieldy.

Sanglorian
Apr 13, 2013

Games, games, games
The undead have such charisma and personality - first the skeletons, and now these Chainrasps. They could so easily have ended up looking samey and boring. I wonder if the same modeller worked on both.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
As a second band I'm hesitating between the skellingtons and the rattes. Any advice, considering the one I currently own are Magore's crew.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The few games I played with the Skeletons was miserable to the point of, "I don't even want to learn how to play these guys", whereas the rats are just great fun.

Also, perhaps important, in some recent Warhammer Community blog post they mentioned there were NO Skeleton players at a recent tournament, which seems like a bad sign.

And I'm really looking evening shown in that Nightvault trailer! I'm reluctant to say, "Yea I'll buy 8 more Warbands", but...

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I’ll buy eight more warbands if they all look as good as the two from the box and what’s presumably the mushroom goblin team do.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
I love playing skeletons, what do people not like about them?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

OK so I've had a little more time to look at the spoilers and digest stuff.

What do you guys make of the pie chart icon for spells? My coworker thinks they'll have some sort of "school" system where they'll shade a different section of the pie.

If you look at Averon Stormspire's card, his Fulmination attack has this magic symbol with 1 slice shaded. My coworker is suspecting this means, "It's a magic attack, and he can only cast Spell Power Cards with the same slice shaded"

I agree with him that the pie chart is an extremely odd icon choice, but it seems more logical to me to simply gate spells behind the Warband symbol, or make it Universal for generic spells. Maybe Season 3 will shade a different slice.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 30, 2018

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think that the pie chart's just the icon for spells. They call them gambits, so maybe you play them and then see if you actually cast it, and the pie chart represents that it doesn't work every time.
For the actual spell mechanic, it looks like you have to roll specific icons for the spell to go off, 1 squiggly for Fulminate and 2 lightning bolt for Cry of Thunder. You can see those icons on the new dice. There's also the new stat next to the character name, which could indicate some level of magic ability, so that not everybody can cast the same spells. It would make sense if undead and Tzeentch guys were better at magic than sigmars are.

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

The new core set reveal has sparked my interest again, but I feel like I’m badly out of date with expansions. Are the cards from every team useful, or can I get by with just the core, orcs, and skaven? Was that leader card pack any good?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Fiends and Striders have a good amount of pretty good cards.

I'm underwhelmed with the Leader box.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
I just ordered a core set and some more gangs. How will the new season interact with the stuff I just bought?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It'll add more of everything, but everything should be compatible with the first season.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
None too please with the concept of making sorcerors something apart from the rest of the game, myself. It may make the new warbands too strong if they can play on a level the ancient can't.
E: except if the then inevitable Tzeentch box has some suitably spiffy mutants of course.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I hope it'll just be another way to play the game. I assume that only part of your power deck can be spells, and they don't seem as certain to go off as ploys do, so you can't rely on them completely.
I bet the stormcast wizards needs a different mix of ploys and spells than Tzeentch do. At least I hope it'll work like that.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I basically see it as a way to make a second Ranged faction, without "stepping on" Farstrider's thing.

I wonder how Power Card deck composition will change with Spells added in.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

The Malthusian posted:

The new core set reveal has sparked my interest again, but I feel like I’m badly out of date with expansions. Are the cards from every team useful, or can I get by with just the core, orcs, and skaven? Was that leader card pack any good?
Have you poked around the GW card library? I just printed off like 50 cards I can cut out and slip into sleeves on top of other cards - no need to buy expansions just for cards unless you're playing at events that get persnickety about having the real thing.

Gustav posted:

I love playing skeletons, what do people not like about them?
I play skellies and adore my boney boys. I can see how they have a steep learning curve and may not be super competitive, as my girlfriend and prime Shadespire gaming companion smashes them to smithereens with her Fyreslayers on the regular. They definitely reward planning far ahead, but they're tons of fun. My favorite way to play is loading up on defensive cards (like Rebound, any way to shrug off damage) and anything that can enhance speed, then gunning for Claim the City or similar high-stakes objectives.

How do you run your decks? I'm packing our warbands up for the holiday weekend and definitely down to pull some radically new deck builds.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
A friend and I were interested in trying this game out as something to kill 30-60 minutes while waiting for people to show up for board game days. What should we look into picking up for this purpose? Would it be this thing that looks like a starter set? We definitely aren't going to be getting into any sort of competitive scene if that makes a difference, mostly just something to mess around with and take up headspace while daydreaming at work.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Countblanc posted:

A friend and I were interested in trying this game out as something to kill 30-60 minutes while waiting for people to show up for board game days. What should we look into picking up for this purpose? Would it be this thing that looks like a starter set? We definitely aren't going to be getting into any sort of competitive scene if that makes a difference, mostly just something to mess around with and take up headspace while daydreaming at work.

Yep, that's the starter set, and it's all you need to get started.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Neat, thank you.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Well, it's about time: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/09/16/next-week-the-nightvault-opens/
Looks like we're getting a Tzeentch warband at the same time as the goblins.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Tzeentch not surprising, given that they're introducing magic. But it's cool to see confirmation.

I just hope the Rulebook has little previews of all the warbands, like the Core Set does.

I know they're not going to release card packs separately from the models, but I'm still hoping. I'm tired of tearing one deck apart so I can build a deck for another warband.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The Ghosties look pretty sweet

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/09/17/warband-focus-thorns-of-the-briar-queengw-homepage-post-3/

I'm interested in how swarming, ethereal chumps will do against warbands that put out decent cleave damage.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I like that reaction that uninspires fighters.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Looking pretty good!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Woah they look sweet.

My big question right now is cash the ghosts be pushed through blocked spaces?

The special text on their card says "can move through" rather than "can Move through" - so it seems a little ambiguous?

Edit: Yea that Uninspire card is brutal. If you're Gurzag / Fjul do you just pack it up and go home at that point? :v:

Double Edit:

The Rulebook posted:

Pushes: When a rule tells you to push a fighter, simply move their miniature the number of hexes specified by the rule, in any directing (unless specified otherwise). Note that nothing can move a fighter into our through a hex that is blocked or occupied, unless otherwise specified. A push is not a Move action, and does not prevent a fighter from taking a Move action later in the phase

Because there's a distinction between "move" and "Move", I'm pretty sure the ghosts can be pushed through blocked hexes.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 17, 2018

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I don't think they mean that it only works for move actions. So they can get knock backed through blocked hexes. It also makes sense for all their push ploys and actions.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/09/18/sep-18warband-focus-stormsires-cursebreakersgw-homepage-post-1/

Sigmar spoilers.

The two nonleaders have Guard built in, which is obnoxious.

Scatter templates

Some details about Magic attacks, and a few card previews. Disarming Blow sounds really bad? I thought it was Shatterahard on a stick but then I realized it only destroys Attack Action Upgrades.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 18, 2018

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
At least they don't get an extra die, but Cleave gets pretty important to fighting them. Or you can try to uninspire them.
Disarming blow is not too bad if an "attack action upgrade" is a card that gives an attack, but it could probably be useful for removing upgrades that gives Cleave.

I see that they get 3 dice to roll for hammers when they inspire. That's pretty good too.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Light Armor will be really good on those two, I think.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Sab669 posted:

The two nonleaders have Guard built in, which is obnoxious.

I might need to check on the probabilities, but they only inspire if they cast a spell - their default one has a 33% success rate?

I was hoping GW would be doing more to stop another defensive SC build but looks like this one will be out of the loving box.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I believe that's right. Kind of sucks you need to spend an activation to roll your 1/3 chance to inspire, but...

Unrelated, but any advice for Aggro Skaven? I've played 3 games against my buddy's Reavers and I have gotten absolutely ROCKED every time. Going into Round 2 just now Skritch was my only fighter left.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Sab669 posted:

Unrelated, but any advice for Aggro Skaven? I've played 3 games against my buddy's Reavers and I have gotten absolutely ROCKED every time. Going into Round 2 just now Skritch was my only fighter left.
If you win board placement, put it long way, start way behind, deny glory, inspire your rats starting with Skritch and Krrrk, get some pasive glory at the end of the first phase, upgrade Skritch, murder everything.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

I believe that's right. Kind of sucks you need to spend an activation to roll your 1/3 chance to inspire, but...

Put sneaky stab stab and acrobatic on skritch. I rarely move anyone who isn't Skritch, so I like to make a chokepoint if I win map placement. Then I just stab everybody.

Edit: Also, against Reaver. Don't let them near your tiny rats, you only want them to inspire when you let them.

Electric Hobo fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 18, 2018

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I do run those by I don't even get to a point where Skritch can accomplish anything.

I'll have to try a longboard placement and tweak my objectives next time and be more conservative in Round 1.

My big issue is the 3 Chumps are just *so* worthless and I don't know what to do. Don't want to send Skritch / Krrk in early, but those scrubs can't accomplish anything. So yea, I guess I just need to hang back and let them come to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

I do run those by I don't even get to a point where Skritch can accomplish anything.

I'll have to try a longboard placement and tweak my objectives next time and be more conservative in Round 1.

My big issue is the 3 Chumps are just *so* worthless and I don't know what to do. Don't want to send Skritch / Krrk in early, but those scrubs can't accomplish anything. So yea, I guess I just need to hang back and let them come to me.

I always bring Illusory Fighter, so I can charge in, kill a dude, score some immediately objectives, then teleport out again. You can also bring some Shadeglass weapons to put on your crap boys, then they can suddenly oneshot almost any reaver.