Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Samila posted:

:same:

I also have a reoccuring nightmare where I'm trying to save my reptiles from a fire, but sometimes there's not enough time to grab them all and I have to choose which ones to save. :(

i have one where i have a ton of small dumpy frogs and i keep trying to pick them up but some are falling apart in my hands and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfQXvIBVWMg

These loving guys. <3

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 2, 2018

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Owlbear Camus posted:

I am fighting to be "a guy who owns a couple lizards" instead of "a lizard guy"

That’s a chump game and you know it.

https://youtu.be/qKYQNtF11eg

quote:

My admittedly morbid thought was when I start over in 9 years or however much longer these guys last I'll get a different morph or two to take over in the enclosure. Maybe it will be haunted by lizard ghosts of the previous generation.

I am giving some thought to incubating a single lil egg for friends who requested rather than exercising Lady Onyxia's right to choose on all of them next time she shits out a clutch. But I'm also not going to start breeding them in earnest. From what I've read hatchings basically means "Mountains of crickets are now your life."

This is why you get a second enclosure with differently aged animals (and/or different species altogether). Your heart can never be empty if you fill it with herpesherps. As one set reach old age, the others reach middle age and you have that sweet, indifferent, reptile love to carry you through the pain.

Maybe try something with similar (though much smaller) needs, like leopard geckos? They are dead cheap for many lovely morphs, they don’t need much, if any, vertical space (and all of it should be flat and easy for their clumsy asses to navigate), and they eat a comparatively tiny number of feeders and have fat tails that make them hardy if you travel briefly. Maybe you wanna try something with different and more compact environmental needs like crested geckos (they eat powder/cup food) or dart frogs.

You won’t be a ‘lizard guy’ until you have either more than 3 species, or a rackful of enclosures, in my mind. Having 2 different morphs of beardie in 2+ enclosures isn’t weird or much of an outlay from the initial investment you make for two.

Alternatively you can avoid being a lizard guy by getting a tortoise instead. Something small can be very happy in a tortoise table/tortoise box. Or maybe a snake (I don’t think you want a snek).

Hell you may end up with two enclosures out of the two lizards that you already have down the road anyway.

Be aware that some beardies become quite territorial/bad roommates when they reach adulthood. He may also become tough to be with/highly persistent in wanting to breed- and, therefore, stressful for her. You may end up having to separate them as they age. I recently had to separate my painted turtles because the larger male started attacking/maybe trying to initiate courtship with? the smaller unsexed one (female I think, in which case she’s way too young as grown adult females should be larger than males. Alternatively, it could be simply territory aggression- in either case they can’t share an enclosure) who wanted none of it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
You diversify.

We call the spare bedroom the mouse room, because it has our feeder mice and rats there. But I also have 6 aquariums in there. 7 if we count the QT tank. Also 11 snake cages in the living room, and 6 aquariums in my room, and another in the bathroom, and one in the living room. And the cats. And tortoises.

That is how you avoid becoming a snake guy or lizard guy. It's all like stocks, you gotta diversify! We never have to throw away ANY food.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

You diversify.

We call the spare bedroom the mouse room, because it has our feeder mice and rats there. But I also have 6 aquariums in there. 7 if we count the QT tank. Also 11 snake cages in the living room, and 6 aquariums in my room, and another in the bathroom, and one in the living room. And the cats. And tortoises.

That is how you avoid becoming a snake guy or lizard guy. It's all like stocks, you gotta diversify! We never have to throw away ANY food.

Who do you live with?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Who do you live with?

I take care of my mom. And a house of animals, about half of which are hers.

The last girlfriend I had loved animals, but she was an idiot about them, and thought herself the Animal Whisperer. You know the kind, the ones that approach a growling dog babytalking and reach overhead to pet it. Or corner a cat and try to pick him up when the cat is spitting and terrified.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

I take care of my mom. And a house of animals, about half of which are hers.

The last girlfriend I had loved animals, but she was an idiot about them, and thought herself the Animal Whisperer. You know the kind, the ones that approach a growling dog babytalking and reach overhead to pet it. Or corner a cat and try to pick him up when the cat is spitting and terrified.

Like the one with the “test drive” terrier from Craigslist in the House Rabbit Thread a few weeks back?

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Like the one with the “test drive” terrier from Craigslist in the House Rabbit Thread a few weeks back?

That doesn’t sound like it had a happy ending

... link?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

You diversify.

What do you have? How diverse are we talking?

Right now I have:
1. hypo het Kahl boa
1.1 jungle carpet pythons who I will try to breed again this fall/winter
.1 butter ball python
1. Aru type green tree python

I have had other species in the past but not many. A garter, corns, and a really cool crestie who dropped dead suddenly for seemingly no reason. She was so derp I think she might have jumped off a branch and landed really wrong.

I would be interested to see what people have, and want. My wishlist (which I try to not go after too hard because of the whole anxiety dream thing) is:

Bredli python, especially hypo
Albino or snow female boa
diamond python
rainbow boa
striped darwin carpet, possibly albino
some kind of male ball python, probably a mojave morph of some kind
any hognose

After all, I have a big Animal Plastics cage empty and two racks and several sterelites with holes and velcro! It can be hard to strike a balance between wanting all the morphs and how many poops I want to pick up.

Here is David Boa with my douche puppy in the background:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

David Boa is a good name.

I have an occasional recurring frog nightmare, where I've got dozens of enclosures, most of them broken open, the frogs and lizards have been eating each other and crossbreeding because I forgot about them, there are dead animals, frogs with extra limbs, missing limbs, mutant frogs of bizarre size, but especially dead skeletons and squashed leathery dried out husks of animals because I forgot them and neglected them for weeks or months or more. Sometimes the whole room is haunted by live, hidden alligators, like two or three feet long, not huge ones, and the frogs shift and move and there's too many heads and their eyes are missing, and it's entirely my fault, I forgot them and they died and died and died

It's some combination of anxiety/guilt because sometimes I forget them for like two days (automated misting, so all I need to do is feed them) and sometimes I run out of fruit flies because a culture crashes, and of course after over ten years with dart frogs and pushing 15+ keeping herps, I've lost a few to just randomly dying like they do. Combined with the body horror of frog dissection in science class, pictures of mutated frogs from environmental toxins, dying amphibians due to chytrid, etc.

It's not too common, I probably have that dream about once or twice a year. But it's actually really comforting to know a lot of you guys get something similar, just the anxiety that comes from knowing these guys tend to be somewhat fragile, it's easy to forget about them for a couple days if they're not in your bedroom or living room or something, and you know they're completely dependent on you for survival. Some part of your brain has to process that while you sleep, I guess.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://youtu.be/iz9ukPj_ifo

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I. Do I want to know?

This idiot thought it was a great idea to try and scoop up a rabbit from above, got mad when the cats would run from her, and overall thought she was so In Tune with animals and I clearly was not, so listening to me was dumb. One of the reasons she is an ex.

In the past I've kept leopard geckos (and bred them), had a breeding colony of bearded dragons, another colony of occie skinks (I miss them!), rainbow boas, Columbian rainbows, red footed tortoises, corn snakes, hognose snakes, and an awesome blue tongue skink.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

well here she/he is. possibly half a year/1 year old IJ blue tongue. she can be huffy but she is pretty friendly so far.
the top is the most recent pic.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

I. Do I want to know?

Start reading from here. It goes on for a while, so you might want to grab some snacks :munch:

Yossarian-22 posted:

Gf owns two pet bunnies and we're thinking of bringing home an Australian terrier, which are notorious for sometimes hunting "pest"-like animals. Thoughts?

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So I've been reading a bunch on reddit in preparation for my baby boa arriving probably next week. I just saw a post where a bunch of people jumped on a guy for moving his boa to a separate enclosure for feeding. Growing up when my dad and I kept snakes we always moved them to a separate tub for feeding, so they come to associate getting moved into this specific spot with feeding and there's no worry of them accidentally swallowing some substrate. Are you not supposed to do this anymore? And if not, how do you keep them from accidentally ingesting substrate?

Also, I've set up my temporary tub enclosure with reptibark substrate. I've had everything set up and running for a few days now and there's no signs of anything wrong, but I see a bunch of people talking about getting mites from this stuff. Any recommendations on a better substrate to switch to when my AP cage arrives in a couple months? It's currently humid enough here that humidity isn't something I have to worry about much at all, but once winter hits that may begin to be something I'll have to work at harder.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Just had to share the two baby Rosy boas that arrived today. They are adorable little things. They join my wife's collection of snakes, which at this point consists of 2 bull snakes, 2 corn snakes, a king snake, 2 pine snakes, and one older Rosy we rescued.

https://imgur.com/a/d91d35W

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Peachy Poo posted:

So I've been reading a bunch on reddit in preparation for my baby boa arriving probably next week. I just saw a post where a bunch of people jumped on a guy for moving his boa to a separate enclosure for feeding. Growing up when my dad and I kept snakes we always moved them to a separate tub for feeding, so they come to associate getting moved into this specific spot with feeding and there's no worry of them accidentally swallowing some substrate. Are you not supposed to do this anymore? And if not, how do you keep them from accidentally ingesting substrate?

Also, I've set up my temporary tub enclosure with reptibark substrate. I've had everything set up and running for a few days now and there's no signs of anything wrong, but I see a bunch of people talking about getting mites from this stuff. Any recommendations on a better substrate to switch to when my AP cage arrives in a couple months? It's currently humid enough here that humidity isn't something I have to worry about much at all, but once winter hits that may begin to be something I'll have to work at harder.

I feed all of my snakes in the enclosure. I think the idea is that it is less stressful. I have just always done it in the enclosure, mostly on aspen and never had a problem. Once in a while a snake might have a wood chip stick to the prey, but more often than not, it falls off during the swallowing process. The herp community in general is all for feeding less often than in the past and in the enclosure now.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer

Khisanth Magus posted:

Just had to share the two baby Rosy boas that arrived today. They are adorable little things. They join my wife's collection of snakes, which at this point consists of 2 bull snakes, 2 corn snakes, a king snake, 2 pine snakes, and one older Rosy we rescued.

What adorable babies!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Khisanth Magus posted:

I feel like we should have a “post your setup” thread because I’m super curious about that.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

HungryMedusa posted:

I feed all of my snakes in the enclosure. I think the idea is that it is less stressful. I have just always done it in the enclosure, mostly on aspen and never had a problem. Once in a while a snake might have a wood chip stick to the prey, but more often than not, it falls off during the swallowing process. The herp community in general is all for feeding less often than in the past and in the enclosure now.

Huh, alright, good to know. I'm probably a little overly paranoid and cautious since I haven't had a snake in such a long time - just want to make sure everything goes as well as possible and I don't wind up doing anything to hurt the little guy.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I feel like we should have a “post your setup” thread because I’m super curious about that.

Our setups very widely between snakes. They are all bioactive setups to minimize how much cleaning we have to do. We have snakes enclosures ranging from anything from one of those petco display tanks they keep ferrets in(we got it for free) which houses the 6' Bull snake, the slightly smaller female bull snake is in a custom built 3' x 6' cage. The rest are in assorted size aquariums, ranging from a 75 on down.

With the exception of the 2 bull snakes none of our snakes are full sized yet. We are working on building some custom cages to move the pines from their current aquarium habitats, and then are going to be playing "musical snake habitats" to move some snakes that are starting to outgrow their current enclosures into something more appropriate.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

HungryMedusa posted:

Aquatic turtles poop so much that a lot of people recommend feeding in a separate enclosure to cut down on soiling the water with food and poop. But a lot of people also say that doing so interferes with their natural feeding and foraging behavior (eat a bit, bask a bit, eat some more, maybe poop, eat again).

I honestly haven’t come to a conclusion on that myself yet, but if you’re doing it right you want the biggest, baddest, most seemingly-overpowered-on-paper filter you can afford.

Which is to say that the vast majority of people with aquatic turtles aren’t doing it right and it pisses me off that supposedly responsible brands like ZooMed still market useless “turtle filters” to people who don’t know any better. If they aren’t remotely adequate for fish they probably aren’t going to do jack poo poo for a turtle except move dirty water around.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Our setups very widely between snakes. They are all bioactive setups to minimize how much cleaning we have to do. We have snakes enclosures ranging from anything from one of those petco display tanks they keep ferrets in(we got it for free) which houses the 6' Bull snake, the slightly smaller female bull snake is in a custom built 3' x 6' cage. The rest are in assorted size aquariums, ranging from a 75 on down.

With the exception of the 2 bull snakes none of our snakes are full sized yet. We are working on building some custom cages to move the pines from their current aquarium habitats, and then are going to be playing "musical snake habitats" to move some snakes that are starting to outgrow their current enclosures into something more appropriate.

Now I’m even more curious.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
The stack of 3 tanks in our bedroom. From top to bottom: Lavender Corn Snake, Desert King Snake, Rescue Rosy Boa. On the right are pictures of the tanks the young pine snakes are in.

Another picture of the lavender corn's tank(with the snake when she was a tiny thing):

The bull snake in his octagon enclosure before my wife added the leaf litter to feed the cleanup crew:

Bull snake display tank post-leaf litter:

One of the pine snake tanks:

This is just a quick thrown together tank we divided and setup for the baby rosies until we get some cages we are building setup:

We don't have any pictures of the 3'x6' custom cage the female bull is in because the room it is in is kind of small so its hard to get a good picture of it.

And we will end this post with an amusing picture of our desert king trying to be a sand boa:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Thank you for posting this. I am not in a situation where I have room for a herp (want an uromastyx ornata kinda) so I love it when people post pics of their setups/animals.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Getting a rat rack this weekend. Wish me luck.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

God Damnit Nicol Bolas was waving at me right after I turned out the lights and stopped as soon as I got the camera out. First time either has shown that behavior.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Okay, I think I'm finally done dinkering. It's not like their tiny brains need THAT much to keep them occupied:

E: Nicol Bolas, the male, took up residence in the newly-added corner hide and hasn't come out for hours. Usually they are both baskers. Maybe this torpidity presages a period of fall brumination?

E2: N/m he wasjust having a lazyt Saturday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoV6lQD0dok

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 9, 2018

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
My tarahumara boa was supposed to arrive today, but FedEx somehow messed up overnight shipping and after waiting around all day I finally checked the tracking and it shows up halfway across the country, scheduled to be delivered a day late. Judging by the breeder's reaction I got far more worried about this than I needed to be, but I feel real awful for the little guy being stuck in a box without water or proper climate control for 48 hours. Hope he shows up ok tomorrow!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Peachy Poo posted:

My tarahumara boa was supposed to arrive today, but FedEx somehow messed up overnight shipping and after waiting around all day I finally checked the tracking and it shows up halfway across the country, scheduled to be delivered a day late. Judging by the breeder's reaction I got far more worried about this than I needed to be, but I feel real awful for the little guy being stuck in a box without water or proper climate control for 48 hours. Hope he shows up ok tomorrow!

I hope your little guy is OK. I don’t know where you are in the US but if temps haven’t been in the high 90s or 100s I would guess he is just fine.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

HungryMedusa posted:

I hope your little guy is OK. I don’t know where you are in the US but if temps haven’t been in the high 90s or 100s I would guess he is just fine.

Yeah, I'm sure he will be. I'm in Omaha and while it got miserably muggy today, I'm sure it's nothing he can't handle. I tend to worry too much when it comes to pets, and I especially want everything to go perfect with this one since he was so hard to find and the first reptile I've had in years. I'm sure he'll arrive just fine, and if all goes well I'll post a video of me getting him out and putting him in his enclosure tomorrow since a friend wants me to take one anyways.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
My little guy arrived today. Didn't have much time for pictures or video since I wanted to get him in his enclosure ASAP after spending 2 days in a tiny little box, but I'll be getting plenty once he's had some time to get used to his scary new environment. He was obviously terrified as I took him out of the box, but since then he's been exploring all over, and decided to spend a good couple of hours hanging out wrapped around the cords of my temperature and humidity probes like they were a tree branch. Little weirdo. He's insanely pretty though, his belly is an amazingly bright salmon pink. Very happy with him, and extremely relieved that he seems absolutely no worse off for his horrible shipping experience.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Yay, I'm glad he made it OK for you! He looks beautiful, I love the eyes

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

HungryMedusa posted:

Yay, I'm glad he made it OK for you! He looks beautiful, I love the eyes

Thanks! I'm excited to get an up close look at how pretty he is once he's settled in and not so terrified of everything. I'm still trying not to disturb him much for at least a few more days, but I had to snap a picture earlier for friends of how he's chosen to spend a lot of his time.

Stole the idea for that from a tumblr post. I really didn't expect him to get much use of it and instead spend most of his time in hides, but if he's not chilling in his hot spot he's hanging out on that dang ladder all the time. I'm shocked by it - I have paper on the sides of the tub to make him feel more secure and less in a wide open space, but he chills there up above the paper all the time, in clear view of me and the rest of the room. Glad I got it for him!

Edit:
Got him out for our first handling session tonight. He was very scared at first, but once I got him off his ladder and onto my hands it went great! Never even threatened to strike at me, and I've heard so much about tarahumaras and dwarves being extra-bitey when young. When it was time to put him back in he even kept crawling up the side of the enclosure and trying to get onto my hands. Think I really lucked out with this little guy, couldn't be happier.

Coeurl Marx fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 16, 2018

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Fuuuuck.

I set Nicol Bolas and Lady Onyxia out to clean their terrarium and get some yard time. Usually they don't stray too far but today I turned my back and those fuckers hid, and hid well

If they don't turn up tonight I've got a cunning plan for tomorrow: Fill their terrarium with chirpy bois, turn off the rest of the lights in the room, and set it on the ground.

E:

lizardfind progress bar at 50%

You a good lizard?
Boy, you must be some kind of GREAT lizard hiding in the one inch clearance under my knicknack shelf all by yourself.
Where's your partner?
Where's your PARTNER?

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 20, 2018

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

Fuuuuck.

I set Nicol Bolas and Lady Onyxia out to clean their terrarium and get some yard time. Usually they don't stray too far but today I turned my back and those fuckers hid, and hid well

If they don't turn up tonight I've got a cunning plan for tomorrow: Fill their terrarium with chirpy bois, turn off the rest of the lights in the room, and set it on the ground.

E:

lizardfind progress bar at 50%

You a good lizard?
Boy, you must be some kind of GREAT lizard hiding in the one inch clearance under my knicknack shelf all by yourself.
Where's your partner?
Where's your PARTNER?

:ohdear:

Good luck dude...

I lost my very first herp (Asian box turtle) that way as a kid. Like a lot of suburban New England homes, my parents' house is on the edge of some woods. I was cleaning out her enclosure in the backyard the afternoon before we were going to take an international trip to visit family. Normally, I could keep track of her as she tromped around in the grass but on this particular occassion she just booked. Probably ended up burying herself in some leaf litter once she made it off the lawn. My parents and I searched for like 5 hours in the darkening night but we never found her and we had to fly out early the next morning :( .

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 20, 2018

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Do you mean ACTUAL yard or do you mean "yard time" as in "just some time out of their enclosure but still inside the house"?

Good luck finding your other buddy!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

In the prison sense, they were still in the house.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

:ohdear:

Good luck dude...

I lost my very first herp (Asian box turtle) that way as a kid. Like a lot of suburban New England homes, my parents' house is on the edge of some woods. I was cleaning out her enclosure in the backyard the afternoon before we were going to take an international trip to visit family. Normally, I could keep track of her as she tromped around in the grass but on this particular occasion she just booked. Probably ended up burying herself in some leaf litter once she made it off the lawn. My parents and I searched for like 5 hours in the darkening night but we never found her and we had to fly out early the next morning :( .

I lost my IJ BTS twice yesterday. we got her a shorter cage so she could get better light and heat and better humidity. but the cage did't have a top hatch and i stupidly thought skinks don;t climb much. anyway yesterday, she was gone and i found her in my closet, then i stupidly kept the door unlatched. i found her in my room an hour later. i got the cage fully prepared and fixed now, but now the little skink has had the taste of freedom and is constantly looking out or trying to see if the roof opens again.

she still huffs at me though, hoping bringing the cage up to my level helps calm her down. she also loves watching the TV.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
So, I have kind of an odd question.

I bought a magnetic cave for one of my cresties. But it's rough and kind of grainy to the touch, even after being washed. Tiny specks of whatever it's made of come off on my fingers when I touch it.

Since my cresties love to lick up water when I spray their cage, I want to coat this cave with something so my girl isn't licking up random specks of mystery cave material.

Any suggestions for a non-toxic coating? I was thinking of trying Modge Podge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Plasti Dip is also non-toxic after it's dried.