Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
https://twitter.com/eugeneboisvert/status/1012202869380956162

My first thought, after owning Harriet for so long, is that the bunny called in a bomb threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
You should Harriet after the Sens' front office

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

grack posted:

You should Harriet after the Sens' front office

Honestly she would just recover the stolen Liver.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Tobias is in the vet's overnight, and he's probably not going to make it. He was fine Friday (or so I thought), and kind of lethargic Saturday, and Sunday night when I came home he was acting really weird (I've never seen him faced *into* a corner before), so I thought - okay, vet tomorrow after work. (This is the part where I start loving kicking myself - why not do e-vet that night?) I came home and he was huddled in a puddle of his own urine, nasal discharge, fresh poops stuck to his fur, completely unaware of anything that was happening. Called the vet, stuffed him in the car, vet thinks he's had some kind of chronic issue that he's been hiding and now it's severe enough that he can't hide it anymore - her guess is renal failure, he's 7 years old this month. His temperature on admission was *94*.

I feel like such a loving moron. He's been dying right under my nose. How hard is it not to kill a rabbit?

I asked them to try to stabilize him tonight and see where he is in the morning, mostly because I couldn't live with myself without at least trying. I think the vet thinks I should have just put him down today. *I* kind of think I should have put him down today.

I've had him since he was eight weeks old and I don't know what to do besides go back in time and pay better attention to the loving animal under my care. At least money's not an issue.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Don't beat yourself up too much, rabbits are notorious for hiding ailments until they are on death's door. Sorry to hear about your bun, I'll keep my fingers crossed for some good news :(

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Remora posted:

Tobias is in the vet's overnight, and he's probably not going to make it. He was fine Friday (or so I thought), and kind of lethargic Saturday, and Sunday night when I came home he was acting really weird (I've never seen him faced *into* a corner before), so I thought - okay, vet tomorrow after work. (This is the part where I start loving kicking myself - why not do e-vet that night?) I came home and he was huddled in a puddle of his own urine, nasal discharge, fresh poops stuck to his fur, completely unaware of anything that was happening. Called the vet, stuffed him in the car, vet thinks he's had some kind of chronic issue that he's been hiding and now it's severe enough that he can't hide it anymore - her guess is renal failure, he's 7 years old this month. His temperature on admission was *94*.

I feel like such a loving moron. He's been dying right under my nose. How hard is it not to kill a rabbit?

Pretty difficult actually- I know you’re hurting and I’m so terribly sorry for your loss but please don’t beat yourself up over this. It sounds like you’ve been a dedicated and diligent owner for seven years and the fact that you’re so willing to spend money on the e-vet without concern shows how much he means to you and how great of a home he’s had.

Lots of people get terminal illnesses in their 30s-50s and lots of rabbits go south when they’re 4-8. Because their health outcomes often balance on a matter of hours- and as prey animals they’re instinctively wired to act normal and hide their health issues until they absolutely can’t- it’s really not uncommon to see that happen even to the best keepers. Just be there for him/yourself, and when you’re ready give that love, attention, and knowledge to another bun.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Thanks. He died last night.

I can't stop thinking if I had been more diligent he would have been ok.

I keep looking at his hutch and expecting to see him.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Sympathies; empty house syndrome sucks

I guess black yard bunny has been doing alright for himself

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

You guys may want to weigh in on this.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Who wants to look at cute rabbits for science? (I just took it; yes, it's legit.)

https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/4386316/Rabbit-Facial-Features-Survey

Short University of Nottingham survey for a study on rabbits.

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 8, 2018

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Remora posted:

Thanks. He died last night.

I can't stop thinking if I had been more diligent he would have been ok.

I keep looking at his hutch and expecting to see him.
You didn't do anything wrong. 7 years is an older rabbit, and they're prone to illnesses that they don't show symptoms of. This happens to every rabbit owner sometime.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Haven't posted updates on Peanut and Snoopy for a while, they are happy and loving life, will upload some pictures when I get home later. Going on six years old now, the rubbishes.

They've developed a fantastic new method to get treats, wherein they hide underneath the wooden dining room furniture and munch it loudly. Of course we try to chase them away but they've figured out they can just bounce between the legs and we'll never catch them - the only way to retrieve them is to rustle the packet of parsley at which point they come screaming into their room.

On GI stasis we've definitely found that Snoopy's best laxative is a trip to the vet, the more expensive the better. Nine out of ten times she will be fine as soon as the vet visit is over and the bill paid. We still use critical care first to try treat at home, syringing her some water and a bit of clopamon prescribed by her vet. It's a huge bloody pain cause you can't ignore them but she's definitely play acting for attention.

Waeksian
Jul 18, 2018
Sorry to hear about your loss, Remora. poo poo sucks every time.

Had a pretty ridiculous experience with my Mini Rex, Amber, the other day. I just drove all the way from Connecticut to California with her in tow, stopping at motels along the way. (She loved doing binky's around the room/jumping on the bed.)

Last Friday, we headed across Utah, passing by the Bonneville Salt Flats. I let Amber out of the car to see if she wanted to break the land-speed record. She mostly liked licking the salt.

Looking upon her snowy kingdom:

With my neice. The bag is full of cilantro, aka bunny-crack:

Waeksian fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 18, 2018

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mini Rexes are so chill, it's ridiculous.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

grack
Jan 10, 2012

It doesn't worry you that one of your bunnies is making a shiv?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

That is just bunny behaviour. Like chewing the ears off a stuffed bunny and burrying the body under her tent like a serial killer

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Gf owns two pet bunnies and we're thinking of bringing home an Australian terrier, which are notorious for sometimes hunting "pest"-like animals. Thoughts?

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Yossarian-22 posted:

Gf owns two pet bunnies and we're thinking of bringing home an Australian terrier, which are notorious for sometimes hunting "pest"-like animals. Thoughts?

I'd stop thinking about bringing home the Australian terrier.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yossarian-22 posted:

The dog will kill your rabbits.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CaptainApathyUK posted:

I'd stop thinking about bringing home the Australian terrier.

Ditto. Prey drive is a “blink and you’ll miss it” type of behavior. You can’t really train it out, and even if you think you have and the dog’s totally cool with the buns it’s not really that kind of an issue. One day the dog will catch the movement in the corner of their eye, the rabbit will bolt, and the dog will react like it’s a tossed ball. Choose one or the others.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

(also, the buns are in a four foot high enclosure and we would keep them separate as a general rule)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yossarian-22 posted:

(also, the buns are in a four foot high enclosure and we would keep them separate as a general rule)

Your terrier's prey drive is stronger than that rule.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yossarian-22 posted:

The dog will kill your rabbits.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Yossarian-22 posted:

It won't matter. Rabbits can die of heart attacks due to fear, even inside an enclosure. It is a bad, bad idea.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Yossarian-22 posted:

Said the goon who would one day rush their partially blinded, lacerated, blood soaked dog to the emergency vet after its prey drive caused it to force itself head first under/through/over the 4 foot wire ex-pen/fence/whatever enclosure to get at the rabbits within, both of whom were ripped to pieces.

They’re called loving terriers because they were bred to get into the dirt and run into burrows specifically to kill things like rabbits and rodents and foxes and never, ever give up. If you get a terrier and you don’t intend to keep your rabbits in an outdoor, elevated, locked hutch (don’t do this, it’s really bad for the rabbits) it’s not a question of “if” but of “when.” Wait for the rabbits to die of old age/give them up for adoption before you get a terrier.

Edit: as the poster above mentioned, your rabbits’ stress level would be through the roof basically 100% of the time the dog was around and in the house. One of the many reasons that hutches suck is because they force the rabbits inside them to be accosted by all manner of outdoor predator with no means of escape. So even if the rabbit is safe and you know that they are safe they have to spend every night huddled in the corner of their box as some fox/raccoon/dog/coyote/etc tries to get in. Even if the cage is ironclad, as long as your rabbits can so much as smell the dog they will be living the indoor version of that scenario.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 26, 2018

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

grack posted:

It doesn't worry you that one of your bunnies is making a shiv?

They do this regularly, I think they're trying to send a message? They do love those sticks though, not that it stops them having a munch on the antique dining room set or the skirting boards. In regular bunn news, Snoopy (the dutch) didn't want her bed time treats last night or breakfast this morning, so she got the bum-shake dance from me along with some water and critical care. The critical care didn't go down well, ended up mostly on her chin, and then she grunted at me and ran away so that's probably a good sign.

Yossarian-22 posted:

This is a really bad idea, for all animals involved. If your house/garden is big enough rather look at a bigger cuddly dog like a Labrador that doesn't have several hundred years of rabbit-killing bred into it. This has the added bonus of you owning a cool and awesome dog rather than a stupid yappy one.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
OP hasn’t come back. :10bux: says the dog was already brought home and the rabbits are now dead. :v:

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Electric Bugaloo posted:

OP hasn’t come back. :10bux: says the dog was already brought home and the rabbits are now dead. :v:

Yeah, the "....but it'll be behind a partition, guys!" post screamed that they'd already made up their drat minds and wanted somebody in here to back them up.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Yeah, the "....but it'll be behind a partition, guys!" post screamed that they'd already made up their drat minds and wanted somebody in here to back them up.
:hai: The dog will kill his rabbits.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Prawned posted:

antique dining room set ... rabbits
The rabbits will kill your antique dining room set.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

.... oh no

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Electric Bugaloo posted:

We brought home the terrier and it was impossible to manage, so we took it back. We tried really hard to limit its access to the enclosure but he was just too goddamn indefatigable in all things.

Now we have an adorable, laid back, and smart af 1 year old poodle. We've tried introducing her to both of the buns but she still has issues with them.

Does anyone know the general template for introducing doggos to rabbits? You've all been really helpful so far and even influenced my decision to take the terrier back

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Nemico posted:

.... oh no

Brb showing to my fiancé

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yossarian-22 posted:

We brought home the terrier and it was impossible to manage, so we took it back. We tried really hard to limit its access to the enclosure but he was just too goddamn indefatigable in all things.

Now we have an adorable, laid back, and smart af 1 year old poodle. We've tried introducing her to both of the buns but she still has issues with them.

Does anyone know the general template for introducing doggos to rabbits? You've all been really helpful so far and even influenced my decision to take the terrier back

You are introducing an animal with a prey drive to its instinctive prey.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Yossarian-22 posted:

Take the puppy back if you care about your rabbits.

Going by your wording, you actually brought the terrier home. I'm sure your existing pets, whose entire ecological niche is "get eaten" and have brains evolved to that end, just love you bringing home their natural predators.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You are introducing an animal with a prey drive to its instinctive prey.

To be more specific, it's a mini poodle (which supposedly don't have prey drives)

It would be nice if you could be helpful instead of snarky as hell. If it's a non-starter then we have friends who will take care of the bunnies for us instead. It seemed as though terriers had a particularly bad prey drive but now the message I'm getting is that all dogs have this issue, so which is it? Make up your loving minds

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Yossarian-22 posted:

terriers had a particularly bad prey drive

quote:

all dogs have this issue

These statements are not contradictory, hth.

For what it's worth, I tried this once and even though the dog did not give a solitary poo poo about the rabbit, the rabbit gave alllllll the fucks about being anywhere near the dog. And, uh, the rabbit is the one who can literally die of fright, so that was the end of that, because life is not a Disney movie and animals can't always live with each other. Dog lived in the house and rabbit lived in the - call it a guest house, I guess? - and they never met again.

If you want your rabbits to live happy lives, don't make them deal with a dog. You would not be happy living with velociraptors no matter how nice they were, because they only have to be not nice for a single second to literally kill you.

Frankly, given how much you're defending the dog thing, and are already talking about who will take care of your rabbits in your stead, I feel like you've made up your mind between the dog and the rabbits. Personally, I find the decision to push existing members of your household aside in favor of the shiny new poodle in poor taste, to say the least, but if you've made the decision about who comes first in your family, you should ... Well, you should poo poo or get off the pot. Nobody is going to tell you what you want to hear, because your desire to have your cake and eat it too is not what is best for your animals. Figure out how to give everyone you are responsible for the best possible life. Hint: making your rabbits live in fear of being eaten is not their best possible life.

Sorry if this is harsh, but I just lost a rabbit because I made a poor decision about its wellbeing, and subsequently rescued an Easter rabbit whose previous guardians have all made extremely poor decisions about its wellbeing. Animals are living, thinking creatures who deserve your concern about their wellbeing and quality of life, and for my money, you're not providing that concern right now.

Best of luck with your situation.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Take the loving poodle back and give those rabbits the best life possible until they shuffle off and just get a dog afterwards. They won't be around for a stupidly long time anyway, and if you can't be even a little bit patient before just going out and getting a dog in spite of all the stuff you've been told here then maybe you deserve the snark?

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

A cat got at my house rabbits once, one bolted (later going into gi stasis from the stress), the other rabbit stared the cat down and it left (good bun).

I don't leave the kitchen window open any more. Getting a terrier would be ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

like literally a few seconds of interaction without any physical injuries was enough to get the rabbit into a state where medical intervention was needed to prevent death